Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LIONs for LAMBs .... movie review... strange movie it is...

I had a bit of free time to go to the movies last night, and catch up on some of the currently popular, and well known movies. Here is one of them I saw -

"Lions for Lambs" is a strange movie.

It's definatly worth your money to see this movie...... IF you know for sure you are a hardcore FAN of :

Robert Redford, Tom Cruise, Meryl Streep.

Ever since Arnahhhld retired, Tom Cruise has become the biggest Hollywood heavyweight. With Brad Pitt a very close 2nd.  Tom took a very big chance with his role in this movie. But this movie was very well casted. Tom barely pulls off his role (if he were older it would have been easier.)

-----------------------------------------

Remember debating class in high school? The debating team? In hindsight from someone who has graduated high school, debating class is actually one of the few, needed, and usefull, skills one learns in school.

This movie is basically a movie about ... instead of a soccer game, baseball game, .... it's a movie about the debating team.

There is no plot, no characters, no nothing. If there were lesser stars in this movie, or even unknown stars, this this movie would have bombed instantly. For anyone who is NOT a hardcore fan of the above stars, is this movie still worth paying for and seeing? IMHO only, only, if you have already seen the other movies out that are better - Beowulf (ment to be viewed in I-MAX 3-D... so spend the extra money lol!), American Gangster, and even Hitman is a better movie.

If you have seen the other better movies, and you still have extra money to splurge, then yes, "Lions for Lambs" is worth spending 2 hours of your free time. The debates ARE intresting. No matter what your personal opinions are, and even if you have no personal opinions. IMHO this movie is more of a test of one's knee jerk reactions. (Which is what debating class is about). Do you want to measure how good or bad your knee jerk reactions are to certain debates?

-------------------------------------------

Slight spoiler ALERT !!!

1. I was annoyed at one scene. The part where the two "special forces" guys are on the mountain. And they #$%^ waste all their ammo?!? They never try to find any cover at all?!? Then later they whine to each other "I'm out of ammo!". Any grunt knows when you are in a firefight, and you KNOW ahead of time you have limited ammo, you DO NOT BLINDLY shoot unless you know you have a target in sight. They wasted all their ammo and only killed 1-2 enemies?!? LOL!!! Don't get me started on what a REAL special forces guy would do in that situation.

That scene made the elite of the US army look like newbies. And the Taliban look uber. Yeesch!!!

2. Tom Cruise was well casted. With his "good guy" charm, that says it all. It's all about image, and selling.

This movie keeps from being too 1 dimensional by the fact that it does not try to provide the answers to all the debates.

END OF SLIGHT SPOILERS

I do intend to see this movie again. Either at the movies, or on DVD. I'm curious to review this movie's slight attempt at providing a semblance of the answer to one of the debates, when the two college kids put up their idea of having a domestic "confrontation", and then listing 3 ideas they felt all college kids should have. (the scene where they said they should erase the Junior year of college.)

Ohhh yeah. Something else strange. When I was waiting for this movie to start, guess what trailor they showed? One for Tom Cruises next movie. And I thought his role in this movie was controversial, and chance taking. I'm not even going to say what Tom Cruise's role is in his next movie! OMG!  It was just strange seeing that trailor play right before the start of this movie LOL!