Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the incentive to continued play of this game?

Hold your flaming horses everyone, this is a legitimate question not rhetorical or sarcastic. I'm just curious as to what the draw will be to keep players coming back to play day after day? Obviously at first when everything is new and there is a large part of the game yet to be experienced, getting bored takes much much longer, but when you have hit max, what is the motivation to play regularly? In WoW, the incentive is gear. There's always better and better gear to be had and for obsessive people like me, it's like a magnet to draw me back. Will pvp honestly be fun enough for people to want to do that every day? I would like pvp a little more in WoW if it was actually balanced so maybe it has soured me on the pvp aspect of other games. If skill is what it takes to pvp then that's different because skill can be improved regardless of gear. I tried to get in beta for WAR but no luck. Can anyone give me a heads up on what regular play will be like?

When life gives you lemons... throw them at cars.

Comments

• MyMainBannedMyMainBanned Member Posts: 112

On paper, PVP and seiging are supposed to be your incentives.

• malachidarkmalachidark Member Posts: 93

Supposedly it's going to be PvP and big seiges and stuff. If it's gear I'm not going to play. Gear should be part of it, but it should be 75% skill and 25% gear ya know?

Currently Playing: Tabula Rasa
    Gaming History: EQ, EQ2, SWG, EVE, Anarchy Online, CoX, GW, SRO, Rakion, Ryzom, WoW, Rappelz, Shadowbane, 9Dragons, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, DnD Online, Space Cowboy, LotRO, Vanguard, Fury, Hellgate
    Wanting to Play: WAR, TCoS, Darkfall, Aion

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

Why do people watch tv every day? Because they find it entertaining enauch to continue to watch it.

People will continue to play war because they find it fun/entertainign enaugh to do so. The thing which they should find fun, will be rvr as well as one's ability to do pve if/when you feel like it.

In wow, the incentive is fun (it's always is) The fun in wow comes from working hard and eventually getting a reward (gear) People who, for whatever reason don't find it fun anymore quit, just like people who, for whatever reason, will find war's rvr to no longer be fun will quit :)

Also, people who play daoc mostly play it because of it's pvp 9as well as people who play shadobane) so yes, pvp can be fun and  with a few extra incentive it can keep players interested for years.

PS: People have a wrong idea about gear/skill in mmos :( gear should be easily achiavable, and be on par, in most situations, then the best of the best items. Because of this, almost everyoen is on an equal level when it comes to gear, thus the only things that determine who wins is skill and luck.

Example, if you look at daoc, an uber template of doom may cost you some 150plats, but you can put together a very nice template for maybe 20-30plat that will have all the key stats maxed (just like the uber template) but might be missing a few things here and there, like say cold resistance is 4% less and maybe a bit less matter resistance and such, but things that matter are the same or very near.

You never lose in daoc and go "damn, I wish I had gear like that, would've won that fight easily if I did" So, mythic should be doing somethign along this lines for gear (though they are goign with soft caps instead of hard caps like daoc, for stats in war )

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by evil13
     Why do people watch tv every day? Because they find it entertaining enauch to continue to watch it.
     People will continue to play war because they find it fun/entertainign enaugh to do so. The thing which they should find fun, will be rvr as well as one's ability to do pve if/when you feel like it.
     In wow, the incentive is fun (it's always is) The fun in wow comes from working hard and eventually getting a reward (gear) People who, for whatever reason don't find it fun anymore quit, just like people who, for whatever reason, will find war's rvr to no longer be fun will quit :)
     Also, people who play daoc mostly play it because of it's pvp 9as well as people who play shadobane) so yes, pvp can be fun and  with a few extra incentive it can keep players interested for years.
    PS: People have a wrong idea about gear/skill in mmos :( gear should be easily achiavable, and be on par, in most situations, then the best of the best items. Because of this, almost everyoen is on an equal level when it comes to gear, thus the only things that determine who wins is skill and luck.
     Example, if you look at daoc, an uber template of doom may cost you some 150plats, but you can put together a very nice template for maybe 20-30plat that will have all the key stats maxed (just like the uber template) but might be missing a few things here and there, like say cold resistance is 4% less and maybe a bit less matter resistance and such, but things that matter are the same or very near.
     You never lose in daoc and go "damn, I wish I had gear like that, would've won that fight easily if I did" So, mythic should be doing somethign along this lines for gear (though they are goign with soft caps instead of hard caps like daoc, for stats in war )

Damn....DAOC prices have inflated since I quit.

D.

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

Depends on when you quit :) (and I haven't played on toa server since before catacombs, and prices on classic servers are a good bit lower) But all that constant scroll farming, and doing master levels, and artifact encounter/nice items farming.. lots of extra gold that wouldn't have entered the game if players didn't need to kill a lot more mobs than they needed before :)

• OpalekOpalek Member Posts: 104

Fun ?

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

The answer to your question is at the heart of the differences between a PVE based game (woW) and a PVP based game (Like WAR). Your correct, the main incentive of WoW is improving gear. ANd with that gear you gain access to more instances and better gear, and so on.

With WAR, the incentive is the fight itself. Similar to DAOC, there is more of a racial pride aspect to the game (which is really not present in WoW). You chose a side and many people feel very strongly about that side. You WANT to win the battle, Take the bridge, Storm the Keep, Capture the relic. The fight is what brings you back. On good days, you are storming across the countryside like a force of nature, laughing at your good fortune. On bad days, your fighting for you life trying to save your city as everything is falling down around you.

For me, and others, the adrenalin of PVP gets you addicted a lot more than any PVE based game

Torrential

• WHCWrennWHCWrenn Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by Opalek

Fun ?
    Exactly. No need to write a long thesis about it. "Fun" is the only thing that matters.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by BaronTaco

In WoW, the incentive is gear.
    Will pvp honestly be fun enough for people to want to do that every day?
    I would like pvp a little more in WoW if it was actually balanced so maybe it has soured me on the pvp aspect of other games.
    If skill is what it takes to pvp then that's different because skill can be improved regardless of gear. I tried to get in beta for WAR but no luck.
    Can anyone give me a heads up on what regular play will be like?

Based on the Realm vs. Realm (tm) gameplay of DAoC and some dev comments, I would expect that you will find both a short-term and a long-term incentive to play:

~ The short-term would be leveling up to max and acquiring various gear and items.  It might also include tradeskills and completing Tome of Knowledge categories.

~ More long-term is acquiring realm rank skills which done through participating in RvR.

~ The devs have mentioned that it may take two to three months for a player to reach max level and one to two years to reach max realm rank (this would differ greatly depending on your playstyle).

~~~

Will PvP be fun enough to do every day?

~ Yes, it probably will since WAR is a game based on RvR (PvP) so that is its main focus -- unlike WoW which is predominantly a PvE-based game with an overlayering of PvP.

Balance?

~ Probably you should look for Realm balance rather than a direct one-to-one, class-to-class PvP balance.  Population imbalance issues is something the devs are planning for and have game mechanics to *help* balance things out.  That doesn't mean you won't have to fight smart and fight hard though.

Skill?

In WoW, certain classes have I-Win buttons and players can be killed quickly.  In WAR, players are more resilient and battles last longer.  This gives rise to more strategic planning and tactics in combat.

~~~

More comments on what regular, day-to-day gameplay will be like are best left to after the reopening of beta in December and the dev's releasing more info.

Also, at some point, the NDA will be lifted and beta testers will be able to disclose full information and opinions about WAR.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• airstrikeairstrike Member UncommonPosts: 373

The incentives are kinda like WoW's grind lvl > raid for gear > use new gear to PVP.

WAR will be PVP directly.

On paper ,the incentive to cotinue playing doesnt look well at all for WAR but it's just on paper,if the pvp mechanics and gameplay are fun,it may keep you hooked.Tho ive never managed to stay hooked on a repetive pvp game,exemple guild wars,even if it was fun it got boring in the end.

• Interl0perInterl0per Member Posts: 27

Interesting PvP battles could keep me hooked for years.  Silly story, I played Starsiege:Tribes for about three years constantly, same mods, same maps over and over and it was always fun.  For players like me, PvP where playing your playstyle is fun and makes a difference should stay quite engaging for quite some time.  Oh yeah, I quit playing Tribes regularly when Tribes 2 came out :D

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

Based on the Realm vs. Realm (tm) gameplay of DAoC and some dev comments, I would expect that you will find both a short-term and a long-term incentive to play:
     ~ The short-term would be leveling up to max and acquiring various gear and items.  It might also include tradeskills and completing Tome of Knowledge categories.
    ~ More long-term is acquiring realm rank skills which done through participating in RvR.
    ~ The devs have mentioned that it may take two to three months for a player to reach max level and one to two years to reach max realm rank (this would differ greatly depending on your playstyle).

IMO, the incentive to keep playing in DAOC was two-fold, as described here.   You kept on farming to earn enough gold to buy the player crafted and dropped gear to maximize your template.  (and of course, expansions were released which required you to revise your template with new gear)

Second, there was the ever increasing realm rank levels which in turn lead to new skills, spells and abilities... which in fact were so powerful that after the 5th rank was reached you were considered to really be level "51" in a 50 level game.... and was the major break point that all characters struggled to get to for sure. 

Max realm rank in 1 or 2 years?  If it follows the DAOC model.....only the very hardcore will reach it in this time....... more casual players can easily count on 2 + years I'm sure....

Oh yeah..and the PVP battles were pretty fun sometimes..... 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I hate to say it.  But I think that most people who like the whole loot grinding in WoW and are actually drawn to do that type of thing will not find that type of enjoyment out of WAR.

And for good reason.

As to the OP's question.  It has been answered very well already, fun.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• TambourineTambourine Member UncommonPosts: 181

Because the voice of Tzeentch tells me I must or else.

• skullforgedskullforged Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by BaronTaco

Hold your flaming horses everyone, this is a legitimate question not rhetorical or sarcastic. I'm just curious as to what the draw will be to keep players coming back to play day after day? Obviously at first when everything is new and there is a large part of the game yet to be experienced, getting bored takes much much longer, but when you have hit max, what is the motivation to play regularly? In WoW, the incentive is gear. There's always better and better gear to be had and for obsessive people like me, it's like a magnet to draw me back. Will pvp honestly be fun enough for people to want to do that every day? I would like pvp a little more in WoW if it was actually balanced so maybe it has soured me on the pvp aspect of other games. If skill is what it takes to pvp then that's different because skill can be improved regardless of gear. I tried to get in beta for WAR but no luck. Can anyone give me a heads up on what regular play will be like?

What keeps people playing counter-strike for over 8 years? Its not the gear. I hope that they can pull off a good, solid and fun pvp experience.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

IMO, the incentive to keep playing in DAOC was two-fold, as described here.   You kept on farming to earn enough gold to buy the player crafted and dropped gear to maximize your template.  (and of course, expansions were released which required you to revise your template with new gear)

Second, there was the ever increasing realm rank levels which in turn lead to new skills, spells and abilities... which in fact were so powerful that after the 5th rank was reached you were considered to really be level "51" in a 50 level game.... and was the major break point that all characters struggled to get to for sure. 

Max realm rank in 1 or 2 years?  If it follows the DAOC model.....only the very hardcore will reach it in this time....... more casual players can easily count on 2 + years I'm sure....

Oh yeah..and the PVP battles were pretty fun sometimes..... 

Yes, I remember that.

Back in DAoC, realm rank skill levels were so important -- and took so long to acquire -- that frequently the high "RR" players were called "Level 51" players to indicate their relative level of power.

Now, noticing that Mythic is bending to the will of the beta testers and putting in the Open Field RvR that is being requested, I think WAR will truly be a great PvP game.

Variety will be key.

Lots of PvE stuff, tradeskills, Tome of Knowledge for those days when you want to do those kinds of things.  And lots of PvP stuff in the form of instanced and open field combat.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

I dont care what they say, there will gear.

There will be dungeons.

They may say theres not going to be...NOW.
    But they can change there minds after you have bought the game.

It doesnt matter to me though. It will still be a great game.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I think PvP has the potential to hold a customer's attention longer than static dungeons IMO. I am a big big EQ fan but that doesn't make me blinded to the fact PvP is a dynamic activity between players (not AI) that keeps people coming back.

I think they have to be very very careful with how they reward PvP though, if it is done like WoW is now, the fun will be sucked out completely. WoW in my opinion didn't have much going for it to begin with considering how shallow and easy it is then they made the honor system and ruined the only thing good about the game it had going for it, open pvp fights that players chose where and when to do.

The more control they put in a game, the less fun it is. EQ had alot of freedoms, and most games today have too many boundaries, instances.

• aregatoaregato Member Posts: 29

I hope thay add some thing like wows arena rating, by that I mean a ratng system that shows how you as an induvidual or your guild is doing in the game, that would be nice motivation for the endgame play :>

A life? Where can I download one of those?

DAOC kept stats on the realm wars, most realm points earned per week broken down by class....IRS (I remain standing) scores to show your kill vs. death score...guild stats for pvp etc. It was pretty competitive.

I remember how excited I was holding a high ranking on the ranger lists for awhile, back in the day. It was cool when people would see your toon in game and be like "hey! Aren't you top 10 on the xxxx list?"

Added a kind of in game noteriety that was pretty cool.

People ended up developing grudge matches, i.e. if you were the top ranked alb infiltrator you bet your ass every stealther from the opposing realms would spend their day scouring the land for you so they could try and take you down. It was loads of fun.

I hope they remember that and don't do the cross server crap. That would add too many names to the mix. I want to know who I"m killing, or what guild I'm ganking. Random faces are bleh!

D.

• aregatoaregato Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by daelnor

DAOC kept stats on the realm wars, most realm points earned per week broken down by class....IRS (I remain standing) scores to show your kill vs. death score...guild stats for pvp etc. It was pretty competitive.
    I remember how excited I was holding a high ranking on the ranger lists for awhile, back in the day. It was cool when people would see your toon in game and be like "hey! Aren't you top 10 on the xxxx list?"
    Added a kind of in game noteriety that was pretty cool.

People ended up developing grudge matches, i.e. if you were the top ranked alb infiltrator you bet your ass every stealther from the opposing realms would spend their day scouring the land for you so they could try and take you down. It was loads of fun.
    I hope they remember that and don't do the cross server crap. That would add too many names to the mix. I want to know who I"m killing, or what guild I'm ganking. Random faces are bleh!
    D.

That sounds really great! I hope Mythic inplents it :D

A life? Where can I download one of those?

Go to www.camelotherald.com and check out the realm war page. You can see what I was talking about. It even has maps showing which realm owns which keeps.

D.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

More races will be unlocked , more content , more of everything when beta start up again.

• danbosk0danbosk0 Member Posts: 4

What a stupid ass question.  You only play WoW to get better gear?   Amazing.  If D2 kept throwing out updates which added gear I guess you'd still be playing that eh?   Shoot yourself, or stick to WoW, either way...