Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard, is it still crap?

So, I've had the biggest craving to be playing an MMO for a good 4 months now but I'm sick of WoW and EQ2. I had trial and error with most other MMO's and none of them seemed to fill the void except when playing vanguard. I only quit because of its low population and annoying bugs. You know you are desperate for a long term game (in pacification till age of conan) if you beat the Orange Box, COD4, Crisis and hellgate london in less than a week each. I loved vanguard for its new ideas and complex system, but I just dont know if I should give it another go or not. Is it worth paying 15 bucks just to find out? I've been hearing many promises SOE has been giving us on its improvement but I'd like to confirm it with anyone that's currently playing it. What do you guys think? Is it still "beta"? Are people still playing it

Currently Playing: COD4, Supreme Commander, Stranglehold (Hey, John Woo rocks ok?)

Played: WoW, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes / Villians, EQ2, LOTRO, Guild Wars, SWG

Waiting for: Warhammer Online (Sort of), Age of Conan (Woo!!)

_The Sauce Man

Comments

• OldAgeJunkieOldAgeJunkie Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by ChoadSauce

So, I've had the biggest craving to be playing an MMO for a good 4 months now but I'm sick of WoW and EQ2. I had trial and error with most other MMO's and none of them seemed to fill the void except when playing vanguard. I only quit because of its low population and annoying bugs. You know you are desperate for a long term game (in pacification till age of conan) if you beat the Orange Box, COD4, Crisis and hellgate london in less than a week each. I loved vanguard for its new ideas and complex system, but I just dont know if I should give it another go or not. Is it worth paying 15 bucks just to find out? I've been hearing many promises SOE has been giving us on its improvement but I'd like to confirm it with anyone that's currently playing it. What do you guys think? Is it still "beta"? Are people still playing it

Currently Playing: COD4, Supreme Commander, Stranglehold (Hey, John Woo rocks ok?)
    Played: WoW, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes / Villians, EQ2, LOTRO, Guild Wars, SWG

I personally think you should go out and party with friends or something I mean it sounds like you do nothing but sit in a basement and play game after game till you beat it. But that is just my opinion and I ain't knocking you, just rather giving my opinion and different option rather then going from game to game.

mmorpg's flop faster then mcdonalds cheese burgers these days.

• HozloffHozloff Member Posts: 193

I too left the game after four months for precisely the same reasons. Considered trying it again until I read the producer's letter on their forums suggesting to nerf many aspects of the game (NGE style) be it, travelling, xp curve, overall difficulty, death... you name it.

I had to shut down the browser in disbelief.

Anyhow here is the producer letter.

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

But this is MMORPG.com, not gopartywithfriends.com.

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

Originally posted by Phos

- Phos

Well considering you have way more posts then me, I think that I'm less of a troll then you are. Especially when you reply by knocking me with a different opinion. 43 posts to 301?...go figure.

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by OldAgeJunkie

- Phos

Well considering you have way more posts then me, I think that I'm less of a troll then you are. Especially when you reply by knocking me with a different opinion. 43 posts to 301?...go figure.

OMG he disagrees with you he must be a troll!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

I was making a joke. I thought it was funny.

My humblest apologies.

I have 300 posts because I read and post a lot. Sorry if you thought it was a troll. I'll try to be more sensitive.

:)

- Phos

• MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94

- Phos

Still mmorpg.com

I was only playing also dude. I ain't sensitive like you think I am. I actually was joking back with you, I don't take anything serious especially when I am talking to someone over the Internet.

Originally posted by MystaIV

- Phos

Still mmorpg.com

True, but please preform a sentence before trolling me or this post.

- Phos

Still mmorpg.com

Baby dragons are pretty amazing.

Still mmorpg.com

• flood950flood950 Member Posts: 447

I am actually going to give VG another try this week.  I would fire it up right now but I used D2D so it takes a good 6 hours or something to download again.  I wish I had just bought the box..anywho..

I have gone through quite a few MMO's trying to find one that can keep my attention for longer than a month.  I am playing Hellgate right now as well, havnt even gotten to Nightmare yet, let alone "beaten it" and while I really enjoy that game, a lot, it is not the type of thing I can play every night I sit down to game.    Maybe when there are more social aspects present, like an Auction House, I will log on more frequently, but right now even as good as the gameplay may be, I cant do the FPS (Engineer here) thing every night.

But  this is about VG, I have been reading about it on various forums today and am hearing positives about the changes over the past months.  I played for 3 months right after launch, but got really tired of /flush every 5 minutes and not having any real solo content in the mid levels.

Will see how it goes this time though.  Worst case I loose $15 only to play for a couple of hours, its cheaper than buying another brand new game and having the same thing happen.

• ChoadSauceChoadSauce Member Posts: 91

wow. thats awesome, didnt get one response that didn't make me say "wow, im glad i posted that!" this is a forum about MMO's not about making yourself feel good for hating on people with an mmo question. I go to college and work full time so its hard to take the time out and actually do research on my own of vanguard. I guess I have no choice now seeing as I cannot get a straight answer. thanks!

_The Sauce Man

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

I been playin Vanguard for bout a month now. Looks nice....ya that is about all. I find the odd bug here n there (missing items). Player base is still really low for the size of the world. Few people talk or socialize much. I played  EQ2/WoW/LoTR n whatever else came out over the past couple years...I wouldn't say it is any better or worse than the rest of em. Plays pretty decent...just low population which kinda sucks.

• ChoadSauceChoadSauce Member Posts: 91

Only good post here, thanks budday!

_The Sauce Man

- Phos

Still mmorpg.com

Baby dragons are pretty amazing.

Still mmorpg.com

And you aren't so drop the appearance of trying to "be" a tough guy.

You're the one telling people, via the internet, to go out and party.

I tried Vanguard a few weeks ago and I gotta say in truth that it is the same as it was. FYI, and I'm out.

You're the one telling people, via the internet, to go out and party.

I said it was a opinion, I never said he should, I said he should consider it thats all. And you're the one who is provoking for a fight OVER the Internet, so that makes you look even worse then me. 

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

I tried a couple of months but didnt like it, i have station access and could play if i wanted to but i dont. I dont think its total crap like some ppl say, but  it dos not worth to spend my time on it.

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

Originally posted by ChoadSauce

Your probally better off going to the Vanguard forums and checking them out , myself i played for the first 4 months , never had a problem with preformance till one patch than my 8800 GTX started crashing every 5 or 10 minutes so i canceled

well ive been back for two months ive crashed twice and the game runs much better , before i played every setting maxed at 1920x1200 but had to turn down in the cities for smooth game play . now i go where ever i want on max settings.  The game is good  the classes are by far the funest ive ever played and i never get bored because theres so much to do and see

Theres people everywhere you go and chat is always clipping right along , I get groups way easier than it was in world of warcraft  and these people are good groupers not the kinds of players you run into if your pugging WOW. Yup i run into the odd bug , so what i run into them in every game i play

Well worth the 15 a month in fact i would pay them double tthat before i play any other mmo for free

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

I hammered, bashed, and flamed this game for its horrid release.  I do not think the game is crap.  I was really disappointed with the game because of performance issues ranging from random crashes to items disappearing in my bags to broken Quests.

Today, 1) performance is much better, 2) most bugs are gone, and 3) and the game is nearing completion in terms of content and features. 

I recently resubscribed, and here is my review:  www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/157317

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• caldiscaldis Member Posts: 149

I found the gameplay monotonous over time and really lacking in any depth, however I will freely admit the performance is better. 

I hadnt fallen through the world in a few months when I quit a little over a month ago.  Still had bad experience with chunk lines (including random deaths when my Bard crossed some)  and it's still nowhere near as smooth as any other game out when you try and turn around but it was acceptable. 

If you liked it before except for the performance you'll probably find it worthwhile.  There are so many little things that combined to make it more frustrating then fun for me that I cant recomend it.

• SLI2000SLI2000 Member Posts: 104

I would wait for AoC or Warhammer

• EuthorusEuthorus Member Posts: 491
    Originally posted by MR-Bubbles

- Phos

OMG he disagrees with you he must be a troll!!!!

OK... I laughed when I saw your sig/quote - Bioshock fun FTW !

FUNCOM - putting the FUN in disFUNctional !