Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting from scratch ?

GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

A question to people currently playing.  I’m thinking about getting back into WoW again.  No guild, no friends playing and I want to start from scratch.  I prefer RP non-pvp servers.

My question is how does one start from scratch these days.  Should I not even try to get groups for lower level instances (under 40)?  What about instances when I hit 50?

Is the basic plan to solo until you hit 60? 

What about pvp?  I won’t have any twinked characters to I’m assuming I should skip pvp until I hit max level (don’t even know what that is right now).

What the hell is a Death Knigh?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Comments

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

With 2.3, there's a lot more low level characters around because everyone's creating alts, or doing what you're doing (like I am atm, actually) - starting from scratch on a new server.  I'd take advantage of this, and savour the lowbie experiences, taking it slowly and doing all the instances.  It shouldn't be hard to find people for every instance at every level, though you'll have an easier time on a higher population server.

As for PvP, since you're not on a PvP server (shame, because I find World PvP to be a brilliant distraction), you must be talking about the battlegrounds.   I'd avoid the 19 and 29 brackets, because they're the domain of twinks - and not a lot of fun unless you have the means to twink yourself.  Things improve at 39 even moreso at 49, and 59/60 is excellent (especially level 60 AV if you like that sort of thing). 

But hey, being a twink isn't a substitute for having a brain, so if you wanna do the BGs early, go for it - I've done it, and have a few proud moments to tell my grand children.   What?  Why are you looking at me like that for?  I'm not going to tell them what I'm really proud of - I can't tell kids that sort of thing!

A Death Knight is a new kind of class that's part of the next expansion, but it's going to be Unique(tm) to other classes in various ways.  Like all MMO expansions, it's just there to get people to spend more money.   Ha, they won't fool me!  Oh no sir, I'm paying the evil money grabbing corp a dime for no lame "Death Knight".  I'm buying it for the new hairstyles.

As for other advice, eat more fruit, excercise more, and watch Dexter because its the best show ever conceived and it puts us serial killers in a good light for a change.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Thanks Recant.

I always watch dexter so no problem there.

What about the old lvl 60 raid instances?  I'm assuming no one does these anymore, correct?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    There are actually groups on many servers who do the old lvl 60 instances. Not seriously, but just for fun.

However, if you want into one it's better to look that there's one in the server you choose or be prepared to pay for paid character transfer.

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

myself and a couple of my friends wont resubscribe till a new server pops up.  We feel the fun is just gone when thousands of lvl 70's are out there screaming newb at you because your still below 60.  I feel the game just plain sucks when there are only a handful of characters in each zone looking to group, most alts are soloing im sure.  Guilds are usually full, the good ones anyways.

Honestly they should merge a couple of servers, and reopen a fresh one.  I feel they will get many more resubscribers, especially after christmas.  Although as it looks they wont be getting our money till the next expansion pack when they open more

Arachneus: Unless they merge servers at the release of new expansion, it's not likely that they'd open any new servers with it. The new expansion opens up new areas, so that they can fit more people to already existing servers, and there's no need for new ones.

But I agree that they should start merging servers and opening up new ones for newcomers. Fresh servers are always better to level up in, since there isn't a horde of lvl 70s boosting and twinking low level alts.

• ProserpineProserpine Member UncommonPosts: 87

Originally posted by Arachneus1

myself and a couple of my friends wont resubscribe till a new server pops up.  We feel the fun is just gone when thousands of lvl 70's are out there screaming newb at you because your still below 60.  I feel the game just plain sucks when there are only a handful of characters in each zone looking to group, most alts are soloing im sure.  Guilds are usually full, the good ones anyways.
    Honestly they should merge a couple of servers, and reopen a fresh one.  I feel they will get many more resubscribers, especially after christmas.  Although as it looks they wont be getting our money till the next expansion pack when they open more
    I was kindof waiting for the same thing.  Has anyone heard anything about Bliz launching new servers?  They havent done so in a while now. 

And to my knowledge Blizzard doesn't just create new servers because of increasing population.  They create them just for the sake of newcomers and the thousands of people currently playing who would love to start on a fresh server.  That is one of the great things Blizzard does (at least used to).

------------------------------
    "Everything is awesome. Fundamentally."

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

I highly doubt it as the TBC servers got way too slanted towards some classes (granted due to the new races) and half of them ended up becoming ghosttown servers, or so they say at least ^^

There's no reason to release new servers imo. Once 70-80 rolls out all those 70's can yell all they want, they'll be as noob as the people they are yelling at at the new content and most of what happened before will be nullified. For the mass of the populace this pretty much cleans the slate all over again pretty much refreshing the server status to new as it is apart from perhaps the incredibly wealthy individuals that actually had so much money they still have a decent capital after the deflation.

The only other thing you could argue is that there will be more people with high level alts or multiple max chars as on a new server but that's about it.

So I started a new char and anyone who says WoW is still lowbie friendly is full of it. 

At least on the server I'm playing.  Sure there may be 0 - 5 people my level in the area I'm in.  And I have actually grouped a few times.  But for low level instances I have to beg high levels to run me through.

Still doable, I just miss the old days when there was a Ragefire group every half hour, and a wailing caverns group every minute. 

And guilds, good luck getting in a active guild if you are not lvl 70.

I'm still playing and its still fun, I'm just saying it's not lowbie friendly at all.

• ThalosVipavThalosVipav Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by GreenChaos

So I started a new char and anyone who says WoW is still lowbie friendly is full of it. 
    At least on the server I'm playing.  Sure there may be 0 - 5 people my level in the area I'm in.  And I have actually grouped a few times.  But for low level instances I have to beg high levels to run me through.
    Still doable, I just miss the old days when there was a Ragefire group every half hour, and a wailing caverns group every minute. 
    I'm still playing and its still fun, I'm just saying it's not lowbie friendly at all.

what server?

Thalos Vipav
    Star Wars Galaxies: R.I.P.

Originally posted by ThalosVipav

what server?

Earthen Ring - RP server

LOL - I just started a thread in WoW general called "Any plans for new players?"

This was the post -----

So I just started playing again after taking a few years off.  And it is a graveyard for lowbie players (on my server anyways).  So I was wondering if there are any plans for new servers or any game plan for dealing with new players.  (other than the "just ignore them" game plan).

----

And it got deleted in about one minute.  Well that answers my question.  No plans for new players.  I was planning to jump ship to WAR anyways so no biggy.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

I''ve played some alts recently and didn't have many problems e.g. I put together a dead mines group in less than 20 minutes on Saturday. And I play on a low pop server - so if you're on a high pop server and can't get groups then you either aren't trying very hard, or you're trying at the wrong times (i.e. grouping is much easier during early evening and weekends).

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

I think you are exaggerating or on an extremely low pop server.  I recently have been playing on Terenas which is a medium pop server with 2 lower level characters, 16 and 35 and was curious to see what the relative population is in the lower level areas so I have been doing a series of /who's to find out.  My experience has been that I will usually find at least 30 players no matter what zone I'm in or time of day.  Now that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be able to find a group for a dungeon, but there's a lot more than 5 people of my level in the zone that I'm in especially if you are in a zone with a dungeon.  For instance I was in Westfall the other day  and my /who found 49 people there.  Shouldn't have been a problem to find a deadmines group if I wanted.  Certainly it's not like it was at one time where a new group was forming for a raid every 10 minutes, but it's not as desolate at you make it out either.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

When Im on a low level character I will queue up for any instances I want to run then start soloing and occasionally advertise in the LFG channel.

Finding a guild for a low level character is quire easy. Leave the Recruitment channel on while in capital cities and you can usaully find a guild looking for people of any level within a day or 2.

Earthen Ring is a pretty high population server so you should be finding groups/guilds if you are actually actively looking.

Also, unless you are a healing spec class soloing is very easy. The Draenei starting area will level you very fast and give you great gear. Past level 20 leveling is quite fast now. Still not very exciting though.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I actually made a huge mistake

When BC came out

I decided to try WOW again. Created a new character on a new server. (EU RP server -The Shattar)

I expected with new races and all - there will be many people wanting to start fresh.

I was wrong

I quitted around lvl 30 - there was nobody to group with. I never managed to do even a tiniest dungeon instance. Cities were ghost towns , and AH was a joke.

Even today when i look at wow census - there is no data on Shattar - it is to empty for census to return result.

So the truth must be told

WOW is old game. You either have packed full servers with lvl 70 toons , or empty servers. And if somebody does make ALT he will make it on full server so he can twink it with help of his guild and high toon.

Sad really.

But i think it is hopeless

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I quitted around lvl 30 - there was nobody to group with. I never managed to do even a tiniest dungeon instance. Cities were ghost towns , and AH was a joke.
    Even today when i look at wow census - there is no data on Shattar - it is to empty for census to return result.
    WOW is old game. You either have packed full servers with lvl 70 toons , or empty servers. And if somebody does make ALT he will make it on full server so he can twink it with help of his guild and high toon.

Nice generalization.  Yep, all servers are either like Shattar or full, there can be no in between because....well there just can't.  How do you argue with that logic?  Bet you were captain of your debate team you sly dog or perhaps you still are?

By the way, here's the realm data you were looking for.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=756

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Pappy13

Nice generalization.  Yep, all servers are either like Shattar or full, there can be no in between because....well there just can't.  How do you argue with that logic?  Bet you were captain of your debate team you sly dog or perhaps you still are?

Now put level range 30-70 (instead 10-70)

And see who suddenly looks like

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

it really does vary per server

ive seen Stanglethorn Jungle  busy on a few servers (in the last 3months)

- a zone area for 30-45

Blizzard also added 60 new quests to Theramore / Duskwallow marsh with patch 2.3

-  people in their 30s may be there too

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

My server is alive in all level ranges, we released a month before TBC. I can honestly say our lower level areas were stuffed with people when TBC was released, I can't imagine a server where this would not be true? O_o

Eu-Burning Steppes. To this day still people everywhere, Orgrimmar always lively, good fun :)

Originally posted by Pappy13

Now put level range 30-70 (instead 10-70)

And see who suddenly looks like

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?PHPSESSID=0f7907c7ba814471c41ec3b8ff5cc01a&serverid=756&factionid=-1&minlevel=30&maxlevel=70&servertypeid=3

Hmmmm...5,600 out of 10,392.  What's your point?

Or perhaps you meant ONLY level 30

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=756&factionid=-1&minlevel=30&maxlevel=30&servertypeid=3

Hmmm...yep 150  level 30 characters.  And remember that's just in the last 30 days and just when the census was taken which was only about twice a day so it's missing quite a few characters.  Ghost town indeed.

• wenrjieewenrjiee Member Posts: 42

We feel the fun is just gone when thousands of lvl 70's are out there screaming newb at you because your still below 60. 

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I was very surprised as to how many low lev chars there are these days. With such a huge playerbase, even the low level areas are populated. As such, its easy to find a partner or group for instances and quests.

Also, I definitly suggest you look into guilds. If your ultimate goal is to get into end game raiding, take a look at which guilds on your server are achieving the end game raids. Believe it or not, it may actually be easier to get into a guild as a low level char than as one with Max level. This is because there is always competition for raid spots and as a low level char you are not percieved to be a "threat' to someones spot. Whereas if you were max level and your invited into a guild people may worry you will take thier spot in a raid.

So, join a raiding guild and use your time while leveling to talk to other members in guild chat. Let them get to know you and you them. Do NOT be annoying and do NOT expect anyone to help you with a lev 20 quest etc. Show them that your a fun person, resourceful and enjoyable to be around, then, by the time you do hit max level, your guildmates will be going out of their way to help you out.

It may seem better to join a guild where a lot of characters are the same level as you. This will help you out in the short term by leveling. But you never know where these guilds end up when they hit the "Brick Wall" of end game raiding. Many dissintegrate. This is an example of  short term gain being a long term loss.

so, in summary: If you want end game raiding, try getting into a raiding guild already doing end game raids now, you may find its a lot easier to join when your low level and you can use your time to get to know and endear yourself to the guild. If you want just to have fun, not worry about end game content, join a guild of players who are at or near your level.

Good Luck

Torrential

I feel fun is just gone when thousands of level 70 come out there screaming newb at you because your still below 60. 

My server is alive in all level ranges, we released a month before TBC. I can honestly say our lower level areas were stuffed with people when TBC was released.

LOL - I just started a thread in WoW general called "Any plans for new players?"

This was the post -----

So I just started playing again after taking a few years off.  And it is a graveyard for lowbie players (on my server anyways).  So I was wondering if there are any plans for new servers or any game plan for dealing with new players.  (other than the "just ignore them" game plan).

----

And it got deleted in about one minute.  Well that answers my question.  No plans for new players.  I was planning to jump ship to WAR anyways so no biggy.

Your thread got deleted because it was practically asking "Are you going to open new servers any time soon?". If you had read the forums a bit before posting, you'd have seen that all threads asking "When will new servers be opened?" are automatically deleted. Blizzard has already answered that question, it does not need to be answered again.

But a good way to find groups is to use /who -command creatively

/who 19-21

would show you all players between leves 19-21

and /who mage 19-21

would show you all platers playing a mage between leves 19-21

Just whisper every player within certain level range and ask them to team up with you, a group can usually be found that way. Another alternative is just to use LFG tool and wait for someone invite you to group.

And remember that you have to be appropriate level for the instance to get a group, if you are level 17 going to DM you won't get a group because none wants such low level to their group. And since you are on RP server, you have to remember to roleplay a bit when asking.