Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clearification on zoning.

I am a vet from evequest 1 and 2 and I am a bit worried about zoning in this game can someone explain how zones will be part of the game. I just shutter to think I may have to zone hop to kill people on the ffa server.

Comments

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

All I remember them saying about it is the zones will be pretty large.. nothing to worry about.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

You ever try killing someone on a zone line bouncing back and fourth?

I hope they put somthing in like you can only zone once ever 30 secs or somthing.

• andredocandredoc Member UncommonPosts: 119

Or even a simple system like not being able to zone while in combat. Not to hard to code since logging out works the same way

• AthelanAthelan Designer, Age of ConanMember Posts: 145

Theres a invulnerability period when you zone so you won't be camping transition points anyway. Ideally an aggression flag on teleporting like in EvE would be beneficial.

Combat, Control, Class Distinction Designer for Age of Conan

community.ageofconan.com

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by tbox

You ever try killing someone on a zone line bouncing back and fourth?
    I hope they put somthing in like you can only zone once ever 30 secs or somthing.

Of course, you could avoid camping zone lines in the first place since they are generally choke points manned by griefers...   

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Athelan

Theres a invulnerability period when you zone so you won't be camping transition points anyway. Ideally an aggression flag on teleporting like in EvE would be beneficial.

So how does that stop some guy who just backstabed my friend from bouncing back and fourth from my getting revenge on him. 

Invulnerability period reseting over and over.

I have no intention of camping zone lines just every intention of not seeing people mass sprinting away to the zone lines in avoidence of their geting owned by myself and friends.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

This game has collision detection. You are able to body block.

Lets asume there is such like mature PvP. Mature would mean to USE the game mechanics and not to EXPLOIT them.

I have serious doubts though. I votet for "no rewards for PvP kills" on the survey. As soon as there is reward i am a mob and mechanics and rules are gone. The oldschool rule was that one griefing ganker is able to ruin a whole server if he tries hard enough. Griefing and Ganking where poo words back then ;)

Oh well.. RP_PvE server here i come ;)

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Collision dection ~ gonna love it. Body blocking enterance to battlekeep ;)

Zoning exploits dont bother me that much. The people making the games are gamers themselves, im sure they understand all the nasties invloved and will have things in place to stop most exploits.

• AthelanAthelan Designer, Age of ConanMember Posts: 145

So how does that stop some guy who just backstabed my friend from bouncing back and fourth from my getting revenge on him. 

I have no intention of camping zone lines just every intention of not seeing people mass sprinting away to the zone lines in avoidence of their geting owned by myself and friends.

It won't, I wouldn't fight right next to transition areas so I could control the situation. Besides then people can surprise you. If we get an aggression timer then they would not be able to zone for X after having engaged someone which would help however.

Combat, Control, Class Distinction Designer for Age of Conan

community.ageofconan.com

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

One quick question, Athelan.  Granted I have not played AoC yet, so I don't know exactly how big each zone will be.

But my question is, why did Funcom decide to go zones instead of a seamless world?  Seems like using outdated technology such as zones is a step backwards.

Sorry for the concern, it's just that playing another zone heavy game (EQ) for many years really put me off to the whole concept.  So many exploits & immersion breaking gameplay when dealing with zones.

Edit: One more quick question, can you compare the size of each zone to something in a current MMO?  Like Bree in LOTRO, or Barrens in WoW equaling one zone.

Would be nice to get any idea of the actual scope of each zone.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by Dameonk

One quick question, Athelan.  Granted I have not played AoC yet, so I don't know exactly how big each zone will be.
    But my question is, why did Funcom decide to go zones instead of a seamless world?  Seems like using outdated technology such as zones is a step backwards.
    Sorry for the concern, it's just that playing another zone heavy game (EQ) for many years really put me off to the whole concept.  So many exploits & immersion breaking gameplay when dealing with zones.
    Edit: One more quick question, can you compare the size of each zone to something in a current MMO?  Like Bree in LOTRO, or Barrens in WoW equaling one zone.
    Would be nice to get any idea of the actual scope of each zone.
    I guess those who could answer wont answer due to NDA :)

About zones. True seamless is taking to much hardware resources. Maybe in 5 years... Right now the best solution is a mix like SOE did it with RoK. Its zone based but there are also invisible seamless loading borders in those real huge zones. It works flawless. Zones dont matter if the entrances are well placed like a door, a gate or a cave.

• jbh142jbh142 Member UncommonPosts: 13

It won't, I wouldn't fight right next to transition areas so I could control the situation. Besides then people can surprise you. If we get an aggression timer then they would not be able to zone for X after having engaged someone which would help however.

Nice!! EQ2 has a very simulare system that won't allow you to zone again if you attack or are in combat.  You get one zone then the timer starts so you can just hop back and forth.

Personally I don't mind zones. It allows for better graphics and leg lag.

• stabemzstabemz Member Posts: 132

i think the instancing zones made me think alot different of the game, it makes me get second thoughts about it. Im not into the whole instancing type of thing i like a free around world, only instancing i find cool is dungeon instancing.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

They're not saying that the world will be instanced, just zoned.  What this means is that it won't be a seamless world from A-Z.  There will be loading times associated with changing an area, but everyone will be in the same area.

There WILL be instances for special raids or quests, but the majority of the world/dungeons will be public areas.

Now if they're going to go the EQ2 route and have multiple instances of the same zone running so that one area does not get too over crowded... well.. I don't agree with that, but there has also been no evidence that they will be doing anything along those lines.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."