Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion... another Grind-fest?

13»

Comments

• N1ghtsta1kerN1ghtsta1ker Member Posts: 112

For me, I don't mind mob grinding.  But the one thing that is necessary for me to stay in a game with intense mob grinding is amazing graphics and cool attack animations; this is one of the things that kept me playing FFXI for the 4 months I played.  All the skills were strangely flashy and appealing, and the character models were done excellently considering the year of its release.  Aion has amazing attack animations and a combo system, so mob grinding wouldn't be a problem for me, but I know the game isn't going to be like that in the first place, so I don't have to worry.

You have to understand that NCSoft is trying to keep the Koreans playing their games, while at the same time tapping into the Western market.  According to Ayase, the game will take slightly more time to level than WoW, meaning that me non-casual WoW players will probably enjoy Aion, and the Koreans that love the grind in games like Lineage might give it a shot because it's slightly over the normal Western grind.  It's very hard to appeal to two opposite demographics at the same time, and I believe Aion can pull it off.

If only people would stop generalizing NCSoft...

• TwilightangTwilightang Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by jomargue

Originally posted by suu141
    Aion is NOT another typical Korean made Grind-a-thon.  NCSoft Dev team clearly stated they're trying to eliminate the endless-grinding-scenerio starting with Aion.

Are you so naive to believe what devs say ? lol

Do you think if I m developing a game to be released worldwide I would state in my webpage "Welcome to AION , the ultimate grinder" ?

Fact is this game is being developed by NCSOFT , creators of games like lineage1 & 2 , known to be as "second jobs" rather than games due to the huge grind being involved.

Of course if you believe in fairy tales you can believe AION wotn be a grindfest lol

Im sorry that your tiny brain cant handle this new info, AS STATED AIOn will not be grind feast.

To make things easy for you the dev stated AION grind wont be as easy as WoW's exp grind but not as hard as L2, they also said there be other things to and also there exp from PvP or somthing liek that like befor read this site it has alot of info if you know how to use the search button.

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/cmps_index.php

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

I've watched those character presentation videos and I noticed all their attacks seemed very slow (it takes time to cast, charge the spell and so on) - so my question is: does anybody know if the effect of the spell is instant, ot it takes some time to charge the skill and some more to actually do the damage? Or even more simple: do you know if indeed killing mobs will take more time and won't be just a "click the left mouse button on and on" (which I wouldn't mind actually)? 'Cause I see why this would work in PvP, but for training....I don't know (I hated that kind of delay between casting and making damage of PW).

• N1ghtsta1kerN1ghtsta1ker Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by dragulea

I've watched those character presentation videos and I noticed all their attacks seemed very slow (it takes time to cast, charge the spell and so on) - so my question is: does anybody know if the effect of the spell is instant, ot it takes some time to charge the skill and some more to actually do the damage? Or even more simple: do you know if indeed killing mobs will take more time and won't be just a "click the left mouse button on and on" (which I wouldn't mind actually)? 'Cause I see why this would work in PvP, but for training....I don't know (I hated that kind of delay between casting and making damage of PW).

If you've read any Korean reviews and seen some beta footage, you'll notice that while there are spells with 2-4 second cast times, there are also intant-cast spells where you can run while casting them, much like mages in WoW.  It's also been said that mobs will be harder to take down than most MMOs (read that on an older review somewhere), and will require a bit more time.

• Plasuma!!!Plasuma!!! Member Posts: 1,872

Originally posted by suu141

Even if it WAS a grind-a-thon. SO WHAT!!? What the hell is the point of playing a game? Have fun? Kill time? Lonely? Sorry to burst your bubble but you can't expect every game to be 100% fun and joy that would last for many years. Yanno, I think we're DAMN lucky we even have games to play. There's a billion people out there starving to death while you're cozy at home, posting like a bunch spoild brats "Oh, another grind-fest. Must suck just like every other K-MMORPG."
    Aion is a game. Games are made to enjoy. If not, go read a damn book, end of story.

That is a very sad point of view, really. I'm sorry you place no value on money.

In case you wonder why there are so many lousy games out there, it's because uninformed people buy and / or hype them thinking that collectively we should be thankful for the entertainment quality we have available.

Keep in mind that these games are not free, so there is nothing to be thankful for.

One more thing...

Fools come in two varieties: those who gain for nothing, and those who work for free. If there is one fool, there is always another.

Celebrities and the like give to charities because they put no value on money, as they have expended no effort in getting it. The poor and starving rely on charities because they put no value on effort, as they don't know what it's worth.

Somewhere along the line, somebody has to work for free, as some already gain for nothing.

Guess who's played for the other fool?

So, is it wrong to ask for more when you work for it?

Only in Communism.

• UgaritUgarit Member Posts: 213

"Many of the previous posters have good points. One of the things playing in here, for some people, is the definition of  "grind". For some, fighting a single monster is a grind while others could be at it for days in a row without considering it grinding. Having that said - Aion will need you to kill a couple of bad guys. Of course, that goes for practically the entire* MMO genre. :)

As has been mentioned, Aion is a whole other franchise than Lineage. With Aion, we want to appeal more to the casual player than the Lineage games did. There's a number of things being done to accomplish this and I'll mention a few.

* ) I don't really enjoy making comparisons like these, but to help paint the picture - Leveling progression will be comparable to that of World of Warcraft albeit perhaps slightly longer. In other words - We're definitely not looking at adopting the progression curve of Lineage II. Aion is an entirely seperate game that isn't necessarily meant for the same audience.

* ) You don't need to reach maximum level in order to participate in PvP(vE), which is the focus of Aion. There is an area called "The Abyss" where you, together in smaller parties or larger raid-groups, will fight to capture or defend fortresses, important military bases/locations - but this isn't limited to players who have reached the maximum level. Something that might be interesting to know is that players actually gain experience from participating in PvP.

*) We want to have short-term goals in the game, such as quests fitting within shorter timeframes. There will also be appropriate rewards for completing those. Very powerful game items (weapons and armours) will be attainable in different ways, making it easier for casual players to gradually work towards them. Examples would include: Crafting, questing, PvP'ing, raiding or simply PvE'ing.

*) Of course, if there's nothing to do besides fighting, things could grow old rather fast anyway. That's why there will be many other things in Aion to do, too. Just a few examples would be the cooking system, the gathering of resources or the crafting of items that players actually have use of. There are some gameplay videos out there right now, could be informative to check them out. :)

I hope these few points helped at least a little bit in clarifying a little bit about what we want to achieve with Aion. I hope you stick around and decide to do some more, deeper research on the game. We are still working on a larger, official website, so I'm afraid that for now some detective work might be required. :)

* Due exceptions would include games with a more social focus."

so it's going to be another grind mmo/ but with a PVP zone (maybe THIS could be interesting)

that's right

Fx.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by Ugarit
    so it's going to be another grind mmo/ but with a PVP zone (maybe THIS could be interesting)

that's right
    Fx.

I'm boggled as to what the heck you're trying to say with your pasted post there....

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)