Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about Conan

Comments

• AthelanAthelan Designer, Age of ConanMember Posts: 145

Did you just choose to ignore the other posts in this thread where I explained that I was not "attacking people about laziness"? And while not 100% spot on how long did it take Bluealien and Avery to post replies that still answered most of his questions?

You obviously had a chip on your shoulder when you made your first post in this thread, which was in no way helping the OP, but I guess that was just the opinion you wanted to express, certainly was not informative or constructive but that is your perogative.

Seems to me your problem is with a frustration at not being able to access the information you want which is something I already addressed in this thread, and really has little to do with me.

Combat, Control, Class Distinction Designer for Age of Conan

community.ageofconan.com

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Originally posted by Athelan

Did you just choose to ignore the other posts in this thread where I explained that I was not "attacking people about laziness"? And while not 100% spot on how long did it take Bluealien and Avery to post replies that still answered most of his questions?

You obviously had a chip on your shoulder when you made your first post in this thread, which was in no way helping the OP, but I guess that was just the opinion you wanted to express, certainly was not informative or constructive but that is your perogative.

Seems to me your problem is with a frustration at not being able to access the information you want which is something I already addressed in this thread, and really has little to do with me.

Yes you did attack people about laziness.

Bluealien didn't have the replies to those questions.

Your first post in this thread wasn't helpful.

Personally I saw the original post to be hidden irony. That combined with the fact I didn't have the replies either to the questions, was what made my reply seem unhelpful.

Dear Athelan. It has everything to do with you..

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

A lot of "new gen" MMO players are used to Devs kissing their little diapered butts, and handing them everything on a gilded platter, on demand.

Surprise...not every company does that.

If AoC is anywhere near as good as Old AO was, I'll be playing for years. I have faith that FC will deliver a great game, not because I'm some kind of FC fanboi, but because I know that they are a good company, and I've seen what kind of games they make.

Originally posted by Draccan

Yes you did attack people about laziness.

Bluealien didn't have the replies to those questions.

Your first post in this thread wasn't helpful.

Personally I saw the original post to be hidden irony. That combined with the fact I didn't have the replies either to the questions, was what made my reply seem unhelpful.

Dear Athelan. It has everything to do with you..

Well, Ive explained myself as best I can. You complain yet, when was the last time you think an actual dev read your post, let alone bothered to reply to you at all? Maybe if i type all my posts out like the Elcor in Mass effect youll get my meaning.

community.ageofconan.com

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    Originally posted by Draccan

You have been giving textual updates about Tarantulas?!?! The "Crom's balls" cartoon. Text updates of classes, sometimes without any real screenshots.
    You guys went in the right drection with your dev videos. Those are good. Interesting.  But a MMO deserves VIDEOS, not text updates. And I personally feel I wasted the minutes of my life going to the forum every Friday since April, to only watch updates about NOTHING.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this assessment on the updates.  I have seldom found the text updates to be useful or that infomative.   Perhaps instead of weekly updates Funcom can have monthly ones where they can save up things and reveal more juicy and interesting tidbits like screenshots and videos rather than just text?   

Also Athelan says they have been providing information but then admits there are problems with making the information readily available.   This nearly as bad as not providing the information at all.    Information is about communcation, and communication should be clear and accessible.    You can't claim you're providing information when you're whispering in a crowded, noisy room.

This may not be Athelan's responsibility but it certainly is *someone's* responsibilty at Funcom (and if not then it needs to be) and that person needs to start doing their job. 

The issue is much of the information exists in past forum threads, its dredging that into a cohesive, encyclopedia if you will that is difficult. Like if we could some how wikify it all onto the AOC wiki or do something like that.

Then again I am not aware of any MMO past or present that had the communication from the Devs to the extent to make such a knowledge base let alone took the time and energy to put it together.

community.ageofconan.com

• TylinVTylinV Member Posts: 26

I think the real question that needs to be answered is if you are going by registration date on the official forums in regards to the latest round of alpha invites, how close are you to #8787?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Problem here is that the information is out there, if you havent got the time to do it / look for it all at once, then do parts at a time. Some people also have to understand that its up to marketing at FC as and when information gets released. Just like it is every game. 'Tarib' gave a big long interview with the summary posted here on the front page still it answers or adds to answer of alot of questions that were asked here.

There is so many repetitive questions being asked on the official forum, basically due to the continual attraction this game has. There are over 1 million posts there, and yes it takes some time to find the relevant information.

I good way to get straight to developer quotes is at www.bymitra.com link was also in the sticky at the top of this forum, In the want to know more section.

To be honest you can't expect to have all answers to a really diverse mmorpg answered 4 months from launch. The main website gives a shit load of information, www.bymitra.com with its search gives 6k dev posts. I personally have around 8-9GB of videos to do with AoC sitting on my hard drive, I know thats more than most games out there similar. There are countless interviews out there (some recent ones even relate to the questions asked here).

I mean alot of what was asked is out there, similar questions have been asked before, hence why I made the sticky at the top of the page including some of the places Athelan suggested to look. Your notice alot of media links in there too. Furthermore the reason why I collated things like I did was to help new people get some answers to some questions they wanted asking. However, I never for one second expected to 'cover all bases'.

You know developers like Athelan and Jayde post in their own time to help the community, they don't  have to but they do. They are interested just as much as someone with a passing interest in the game to make sure information within the guidelines of marketing say can be said and found. When Athelan (or Jayde) says the info is out there, its out there, I don't think its neccessary for them to answer the same questions some dozen times in a month. You can kinda see hows it a bit frustrating, thats why there are community guys like Tarib ~ German and Pharamond, Plus Project guys like Erling and Jorgen.

The information that is out there, like the front official website, and stickies in the official forum, does a good job to a point. Yea some of it is outdated a little, but that just goes hand in hand with a 'work in progress'

All we can really do is get a 'scope' for how the game is going to be at the moment. Its also unfair to judge an unfinished product with unfinshed answers as the final word.

The OP asked some questions, obviously it took some time for him to write them out, then you get Draccan just out 'slating'. The point is the questions were answered as best as could be by people who have more than a passing interest in the game. Sorry if that wasn't good enough for you, personally I tried to take the time and do some research to help get those to you. Would love to give clear cut answers for all, but its just not possible right now. Im also sorry that you perceived Ahelan's response as negative, I think you took his comments out of proportion. We aren't talking about some scam company here, or some 3rd rate developer pushing bullshit on people.

If Athelan gave straight up answers to them all right now, and some were to change a little bit as things do in beta, you find out the changes next month, people would say he is a liar.

The truth is, they are still testing parts, implementing finishing touches, they are proud of what they are doing, and the fact is its not the companies fault if you haven't got time to look for detailed responses to some specific questions relating to a game in beta. Doesn't change the fact that alot of the info is accessible in easy to find places, and for more specific's not so much.

Athelan didn't call anyone lazy, jaded or whatever, he said people are either 'lazy' or lack the inability to find information. The fact the OP said  the thread "Athelan Orcacle of Oslo'  was in 'a sea of threads' is quite silly or it proves the point about inability. The thread is stickied near the very top of the first page. The OP asked very specific questions and the thread was very long justly so, the game has evolved since then.

In my opinion this comment is soooo true "Anyone who thinks we dont share information as much as we can is either so jaded or self centered that they just want their own personal certain tidbits of info or just a scrooge. " how many times on the official forums you see people jaded or with their own agenda? Hence he didn't call anyone that because no one was accused of it. He implied that for people who 'think that the company doesn't share information' no one previous said otherwise.. But as usual people take things out of context...

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Hey guys, please lay off Athelan.  He is coming here answering questions on his own time.  He made it perfectly clear that the Funcom Q&As are total crap and said him and Jayde have been pushing hard to get that corrected.  We've got to remember, he is the combat developer.  PR is responsible for the Q&A.  Our anger should be directed at Gaute (LordOrion if I'm not mistaken).  He is the one with the power to get the Q&A fixed, not Athelan.

Be thankful, at least Athelan has the balls to show up here and answer our posts.  Rick from FLS and PoTBS and Brad from Sigil were the only other ones I've seen giving us the kind of access that Athelan gives us.  Do I get frustrated with him?  Hell ya.  He can be very cocky but look at his audience, ME.  I can be a pain in the butt and I know it.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

I tend to agree with you about the boobs thing. Most the mature gamers, like its presence there in addition to everything else but don't look to it as a defining feature. Most people who would, might tend to be younger. But based on our recent survey most people seem to be over 18 anyway and should have ready access to other forms of boobage.

I am ..

â€¢ Male

â€¢ Female

Total:

(View Chart)

I am..

â€¢ Under 18 years of age

â€¢ 18-25 years of age

â€¢ 26-30 years of age

â€¢ 30-35 years of age

â€¢ 36-40 years of age

â€¢ 40 plus

Total:

Wow, I'm somewhat surprised by those statistics. Even given the lore (tends to attract more men than women), I'm surprised that only 3% of respondents are female.

So my demographic is going to make up ~0.3264% of the game. Lord. Are they any more numbers correlating age and gender?

And guys, please, lay off of Athelan. Most of the information is quite readily available, and he could have been much, much more tart.

(go check out Dan Gray's posts on the Fury board, then come here and complain!)

<3

(and yay, boobage!)

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

I got nothin!!

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Originally posted by Shannia

Hey guys, please lay off Athelan.  He is coming here answering questions on his own time.  He made it perfectly clear that the Funcom Q&As are total crap and said him and Jayde have been pushing hard to get that corrected. 

Then here's to encouraging them that they keep pushing.

Just because previous generations MMORPG developers have been lax about communicating with their community doesn't mean that we have to keep accepting it as the status quo.

If that were the case then none of us would be expect ing Age of Conan (or any upcoming MMORPG) to be anything but a timesink grindfest rather than something that seeks to push the genre forward. 

MMORPGs are evolving and that is something that is long overdue IMO.  That includes the areas that have been previous ignored like developer communication.   

Some claim developers have no real resposibility to communicate clearly with the community.  This is true.  But if the developers want the hype that results from open and clear communication with the community then they have to be prepared for the work that goes along with it.  In the end, I think they'll find it's well worth it. 

Gaute is just Gaute

LordOrion Is Erling one of our Project Directors in Marketing.

Famine, Pharamond,myself, and the other community guys are looking to address the issue but we need to find a solution and the web developer time.

Well remember. star.buck that more women gamers may come to conan when it is released. Women gamers dont seem to be has hardcore beta droolers as us guys. (Thats a compliment, but if you want to be a hardcore beta drooler too i wont hold it against you)

community.ageofconan.com

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Gaute is just Gaute

LordOrion Is Erling one of our Project Directors in Marketing.

Famine, Pharamond,myself, and the other community guys are looking to address the issue but we need to find a solution and the web developer time.

Well remember. star.buck that more women gamers may come to conan when it is released. Women gamers dont seem to be has hardcore beta droolers as us guys. (Thats a compliment, but if you want to be a hardcore beta drooler too i wont hold it against you)

Oh come on.  What would you do without us hardcore beta droolers?

• There is a very good logical reason why Age of Conan dont appeal much to female gamers.....sadly

I'm a beta drooler myself :) so. Just I happen to actually get into Conan beta a bit earlier than most!

community.ageofconan.com

I'm a beta drooler myself :) so. Just I happen to actually get into Conan beta a bit earlier than most!
    Boo.

By the way, what are numbers for beta now? About how many testers do you guys have, and how many are you adding per month/week/day/ect.?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by star.buck

Boo.

By the way, what are numbers for beta now? About how many testers do you guys have, and how many are you adding per month/week/day/ect.?

I don't think they aren't allowed to say Star.Buck. Its all comes under the NDA for Funcom. But in the last few weeks, notices have gone up that they will be sending out invites to a few thousand people leading into tens of thousands and that the 'vets' have been taken care of or will shortly too.

It looks like there is going to be alot of people in General Beta over the next few weeks leading into Open Beta at some point in the early months next year.

I'm just sad I can't update my dxiag file with a better PC now and daren't send in another incase of being disqualified.

Need to help the drool.!

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by star.buck

Boo.

I don't think they aren't allowed to say Star.Buck. Its all comes under the NDA for Funcom. But in the last few weeks, notices have gone up that they will be sending out invites to a few thousand people leading into tens of thousands and that the 'vets' have been taken care of or will shortly too.

It looks like there is going to be alot of people in General Beta over the next few weeks leading into Open Beta at some point in the early months next year.

I'm just sad I can't update my dxiag file with a better PC now and daren't send in another incase of being disqualified.

Need to help the drool.!

Oh wow, I hadn't thought that the NDA would be so restrictive. Thanks for the estimation though :D

I guess I'll have to wait and see if my Dad gets into the CB.

• EventideEventide Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by Battlekruse

There is a very good logical reason why Age of Conan dont appeal much to female gamers.....sadly

That's probably true, but at the same time that population seems a bit low. I wonder if there is a disparity in the number of women that participate in betas from the population that actually winds up playing the game.

I am not even sure of specific numbers, I do now we had a large influx recently roll into our general beta, and a recent tech test for PvP

community.ageofconan.com

• EventideEventide Member UncommonPosts: 74

I am not even sure of specific numbers, I do now we had a large influx recently roll into our general beta, and a recent tech test for PvP

Shhh! don't tell me such things unless I'm going to be included  :P

Over all though the comment was just in general. In all the beta's I've been in seemingly few people are/claim to be women, however that number seems to spike after the launch of those games. I'm just generally curious if that is actually true or just skewed personal experience.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Isnt the problem primarily how the information is delivered rather than what information is out?

If you looked at wow at this stage before launch you had graphical interfaces with each class and race with pictures of members of the class and race, graphical interactive windows with examples of how they worked and what abilities they had access too. Lots of it werent correct but it still gave you a sense of what the classes were about and instilled a lot of confidence in the product.

Same in WAR atm. You have the podcast which not only are entertaining but also extremely informative combined with half finished graphical windows again on their main page giving out informations (not very much admitted) in a modern form that again give you confidence in the product.

AoC has text messages randomly placed allover and no direct link or inteactive links that say anything. It does not in any way instil confidence in the product. The AWESOME trailer you put out last week made me and many others drool for more but after the initial euphoria the questions arise: Why does a game that look this good and completed have such a poor homepage?

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

Originally posted by afoaa

Isnt the problem primarily how the information is delivered rather than what information is out?
    If you looked at wow at this stage before launch you had graphical interfaces with each class and race with pictures of members of the class and race, graphical interactive windows with examples of how they worked and what abilities they had access too. Lots of it werent correct but it still gave you a sense of what the classes were about and instilled a lot of confidence in the product.
    Same in WAR atm. You have the podcast which not only are entertaining but also extremely informative combined with half finished graphical windows again on their main page giving out informations (not very much admitted) in a modern form that again give you confidence in the product.
    AoC has text messages randomly placed allover and no direct link or inteactive links that say anything. It does not in any way instil confidence in the product. The AWESOME trailer you put out last week made me and many others drool for more but after the initial euphoria the questions arise: Why does a game that look this good and completed have such a poor homepage?
    I'm going to start off by saying that this isn't WoW/WoW2..I mean WAR, and if it were I would be far away. I would much rather have no UI preview things then have incorrect ones that were uninformative.

If you want AoC information, you do need to look around a bit. I expect there is good reason behind this, I'm guessing that they purposely place information among different websites because then they can grab a wider audience into looking into playing this game.

Confidence in this product. It's obvious to me that FC in confident in AoC for the time being. If they were not confident, they wouldn't be holding a huge contest to have one lucky/talented/dedicated fan to Oslo to be in AoC paradise for sometime. If FC wasn't confident in AoC they wouldn't have invited all of the big name gaming websites to play the game in San Fransisco, and the media didn't seem to have anything bad to say about the game, besides the usual beta stuff. They are confident in AoC, I am confident in AoC, there's alot of information out on this game, and next month we have been told that a "flood of information," will be released.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

So are you sure now?