Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which HDD to get?

ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

or

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I don't think I'll have a problem keeping my storage below 150GB if the performance is that much better. I really don't need a huge amount of space, I'm more concerned with load-times and read/write times with gaming. But looking at Tom's Hardware, it seems that the Caviar SE16 actually comes out on top a few times, and also has 600GB more.

So... which one should I get?

-Machiavelli

Comments

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Get the 750GB. 10000RPM drives are not all they are made out to be. Taking 2-3 seconds off loading times and having 500GB less space is not worth an extra $20+.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265

IDK, but id go with the 10,000rpm 150gig. All i do is game and store a little music.... It would take me a long time for me to fill up 150gig. All depends on what u do.

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

In that case, which of these should I get?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136073

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136131

I've been trying to use some performance charts, but I'm kind of confused with the differences between random access time and read/write times.

-Machiavelli

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Ignore performance charts, they are going to show you a bunch of info that will be different than in a realtime situation inside your system. Say you go ahead and get that 150GB drive, thinking you dont use alot of space. What are you going to do when you DO fill up that space? If you add another drive youre going to have to format, and loose everything. Its counter productive, just get a large 7200RPM drive and avoid the hassle and save a few bucks in the process.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Get 3 Hard drives.  2 of the same one to run in Raid, and 1 external to store media files.  However, out of those I would get the 750GB versions only because ATA isn't really that fast of a data transfer.

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982

I have a 150GB Raptor, and I'm happy with it. It's an excellent drive. If, like me, you know you're never going to have more than 80 gigs or so on your HD, then there's no reason to get a huge drive. The Raptor is the best performing HD out there other than some of the SCSI drives. It's easily the best SATA drive on the market.

Ultimately, though, it's your money. I tend to research these things pretty thoroughly before buying, and that's what I suggest you do, too.

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Originally posted by Tuor7

I have a 150GB Raptor, and I'm happy with it. It's an excellent drive. If, like me, you know you're never going to have more than 80 gigs or so on your HD, then there's no reason to get a huge drive. The Raptor is the best performing HD out there other than some of the SCSI drives. It's easily the best SATA drive on the market.
    Ultimately, though, it's your money. I tend to research these things pretty thoroughly before buying, and that's what I suggest you do, too.
    Yeah, I've been doing quite a bit of research on this for the past several days.

I'm just trying to figure out which one has the better performance. The thing is, though, is that 10k rpm hdds don't necessarily perform better than their 7200 rpm counterparts.

-Machiavelli

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982

Last year, when I bought my Raptor, none of the 7200RPM HDs came very close to the Raptor. That might not be true anymore, though. I haven't looked at HDs since then.

Good luck. It's hard to go too wrong on an HD these days.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

last yet i opted out of getting a 10000 RPM drive simply because of price

however the 250g drive i got instead i already filled up

im really glad i didnt get one of the smaller drives, shoulda gone bigger if anything