Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to EQ2- Questions!

dukelouiedukelouie Member Posts: 52

With all this business of the Rise of Kunark's recent arrival, I have taken a look at EQ2.

It seems to be the perfect chance for me to  step away from WoW once and for all.

I do have few questions and concerns though:

1)  I know some races are marked "good" and "evil"- are these races allied?  Lets say I was a dwarf, could I venture into an Iksar town safely?

2)  Can any race become any class or are there restrictions?

3)  Would the game still feel new, or do all players hang around in end game areas?

4)  Is the player base stagnant and unresponsive, or is the community alive and helpful?

And information pertaining to these questions would be a great help!  Help to see you in game!

"Sir, the fish market is quickly emptying. I need you to out, get me 5 tuna, 4 blue snappers, 3, uh, Darkshore groupers, and 2 goldfish please. And then report to the docks. I'll see you there, goodbye."

Comments

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by dukelouie

With all this business of the Rise of Kunark's recent arrival, I have taken a look at EQ2.
    It seems to be the perfect chance for me to  step away from WoW once and for all.
    I do have few questions and concerns though:
    1)  I know some races are marked "good" and "evil"- are these races allied?  Lets say I was a dwarf, could I venture into an Iksar town safely?
    2)  Can any race become any class or are there restrictions?
    3)  Would the game still feel new, or do all players hang around in end game areas?
    4)  Is the player base stagnant and unresponsive, or is the community alive and helpful?
    And information pertaining to these questions would be a great help!  Help to see you in game!

1. Good races can not go into evil towns, the guards will kill you if you do.  It is possible to betray however and switch from good to evil and vis versa.

2. Any race can become any class within limits.  The limits are good and evil.  Some races like sarnak are evil and therefore can only become evil or neutral classes.  A sarnak can become a shadowknight but not a paladin.

3. The core cities have a good influx of people running around the brokers, housing, and various transportation points.  Staring area's however are pretty empty as most people can level from 1-20 in a few days.  They are not completely empty but they are not full of people either.  I'd imagine like many games there are probably prefered areas that have more people then other area's.  Unlike wow there is not one path through the game so people can choose to level up in say thundering steps or bucherblock or some other areas.  There isn't a linear path through a set of zones you level up in. 

4. The community is amazingly helpful and mature.  I am kinda new having returned after a couple years and I was playing in the new evil fairy area.  I was on a quest where I had to get a lure from some fish.  I'd seen the fish and knew I was in the right area but after awhile no fish... I was frustrated and about ready to move on.  But I asked in the 10-19 chat channel if anyone knew if there was something special to spawn this fish, smolderfin I think.  I got several responses that I needed to release several smoldering trout as bait to lure him to come out.   Thats just one example.  The guild I'm in is very nice too they are very responsive and since anyone can mentor to your level I'm never stuck on my own when I need to kill a group mob I just ask in guild chat and several high lvls come and mentor down to my level and help me.

In my opinion mentoring is an amazing ability that makes a HUGE difference in the game.  In wow there was always a feeling of isolation until you got high enough level to play the end game.  I mean a guildie in wow would come help but really it wasn't much fun cause they would just run through the instance killing everything and I'd follow along and loot everything.  Sure I got xp and loot and finished quests but it was all so fast and generally very unrewarding...

---
    Ethion

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

1. There are good, neutral and evil races.  Depending on where you start you cannot enter an opposing city (e.g. if you start in Freeport you cannot enter Qeynos, the guards will get you).

2. Yes, any race can become any class.  Initially there are restrictions but you can betray anyways so those restrictions don't really mean much (e.g. a Monk is a good only class and a troll a evil only race, your Troll Bruiser which is the evil monk version can betral to Qeynos and he will become a Monk).

3. Seems to me that players are spread out a lot.  There are a lot of lower levels running around.

4. Alive and helpful.  Best community i have encountered.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

1. One of the reasons alts are truly fun in the game...try various factions, then you also get varied starting area's...

2. Racial Restrictions as stated...again, a reason to test each faction...you may like a Shadowknight more than a Paladin, or a Brigand more than a Swashbuckler...

3. Since the new expansion, the player base seems quite varied, and is proving to be quite fun...so, no issues wherever you start

4. The community is the reason I have stuck it out...as I was starting to get MMO burn out...LOTRO totally killed the genre for me...but, I mustered on, tried EQ2, and as the community helped me grow, I realized this game was so much more than any other MMO available...it takes time, it takes patience, and proves to be the most rewarding (I am going on 4 months, with a max character of only 30, as I explore, learn the game, play alts and craft...meaning the game will be a true joy, as it does feel like an "Ever" questing game, and I do not have to rush to play...)

Cheers!