Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Hardware for mobile enthusists

eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I always like to check out the new mobile stuff that comes out cuz there so much of it with new devices poping up every other day on different things you can do.  Iv been hoping for alienware to come out with some new models of the mobile products for some time now, and I found this today.  www.alienware.com/intro_pages/m17x_m15x.aspx

From what i can see these demo designs have eluminated keyboards, aluminated screens with a glow stick going around the entire lcd, duel geforce m8 cards with is all fairly new stuff.  I want one! The only hard part is witch one to decide on.

Comments

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I wasnt going to reply to my own thread but i will any ways.  People with newer mobile machines tell us what type of gpus your running with them and maybee some benchmarks?  Iv an alienware area51m 766 with a ati 9600 that runs wow,counter strike source, everquest 2 , Lord of the rings, madden, battlefield 2 , and a few others im not thinging of o ya eve, dungeons and dragons.  Most of these games  play at full settings with some slow down altho the competition for me isnt as high because of my frame count not being on par with some of the new machines.  Its fun to take to like coffe shops in the mornings tho and show other people what it can do.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

<p>I dont personally own a laptop yet, but ive been doing research on them for over 3 months now. You cant go by the benchmarks for mobile GPU's at all, period. They are nothing like desktop video cards performance-wise. They depend on EVERYTHING in the system as well. For instance a MacBook Pro with a 8600GT can run EQ2 under Windows on Extreme Quality (max) very smooth. Meanwhile in a Sony Vaio or a Dell using the same card, you couldnt even run it on high smooothly.</p>

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

Most of the products that have been released up untill now have ran decent with my system but some of the brand new stuff isnt.  I tried the quake wars demo when it first came out last month and even tho i could play with others online it was anything but playable, im sure some of the other newer games like crysis, call of duty 4:modern warfare,gears of war, tabula rasa, fury, hellgate london stuff like this probubly wont be playable to any extent.  cmon readers list your mobile gpus and stats!

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

i don't even wanna know what that laptop will cost, or what that sucker heats up to when you're gaming on it.

laptops are just at a horrible price point. i don't think maybe people can actually afford to seriously game with a laptop, even if you can dump 5k into it and game for now, are you ready to do it again in 2 years ?

Well from my speculation ansering the last poster i would say the price range would be around for minimum specs ooooohh, maybee like $1800.00 for the 15.4 inch model, and for the 17 inch model probubly like $2400.00.  Heat wise i think alienware has buckled down with most of there new mobile stuff but i havent been rearching enough to make a pin point asumtion. 

I was browsing around cnet today and it gave me the ambition to check for some screenshots and other goodies on these new laptops alienware is coming out with.  Here are a few article's written on the specs;

"Today Alienware unveiled its new Area-51 m17x and m15x gaming laptops. The m17x is a 17" screen monster while the m15x is a 15" screen notebook. Both offer dual Nvidia 8800m graphics cards and Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.80GHz processors. And yes, the cliche "out of this world design" holds true too. The only bad news is that the m17x and m15x won't be available until Q1 of 2008." from notebookreview.com

"While they don't exactly come as much of a surprise after a couple of leaks and that little website slip-up, Alienware has finally gotten official with is new Area-51 m15x and m17x laptops, which each pack more power than you'll likely need in your choice of two eye-catching designs. The m15x, as you can no doubt surmise, is a 15.4-inch model, which gives you enough room for dual hard drives, along with your choice of Core 2 Duo Extreme processors, NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX graphics, 667MHz DDR2 memory, and plenty of other high-end specs to match. The m17x appears to be identical in most respects, but its 17-inch display also affords just enough room for a third hard drive which, as we had heard earlier, can include SSD if you so choose. Still no word on a release date, but Alienware will gladly inform you of that little detail if you're willing to hand over your email address" from some web site i cant remember!

There also was aparently some slip up on the alienware web site  heres the article...   " Man, that Google cache is really something -- Alienware apparently set the upcoming Area-51 m17x's BTO page live for a short time a couple days ago and then took it down, but the Big G's hive has kept it perfectly preserved for your eager eyes. Looks like those rumors about NVIDIA 8800M graphics were true -- and an extra grand will actually get you two of the 512MB cards running in SLI. The processor list is similarly hot, topping out with a 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme for another $800, and Alienware isn't even trying to keep the pricetag subtle with a $1000 64GB SSD option. All maxed out, you're looking at an easy $5500 with Vista Ultimate -- and we can't believe we're saying this, but that actually seems somewhat reasonable. Better start dancing for change right away, though, because these bad boys should hit on Monday." from engadget.com  If your in a hurry to spec out your new laptop you can check out the options here www.engadget.com/2007/11/16/alienwares-area-51-m15x-and-m17x-specs-laid-bare/.

If it didnt say in the few quotes from the paragraphs i listed above these models wont be available untill q1 of 2008.  Also fyi the keybard as well as all the other lit up parts on these models can change to any color you wish with software provided by alienware some what like the dell 1700 series thats already out now, so if you want your keybard orange in the morning to wake you up and maybee brown at night to put you to sleep you can!hah