Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice! burglar --or hunter...

u guys never let me down. heres my situation.......

i got a 18 burglar right now, i play with a minstrel, guardian and hunter of the same level. Heres where my problem lies...I like my hobbit hunter and the damage he does a little better than  the (what seems to be) burglar "fellowship bot."... i say that because the damage is really low, and his debuffs arnt satisfying, and it seems like im really only needed for those "emergency" mishaps where the grp power regen is a lifesaver---other then that i dont feel like i contribute in any way. know in the future the burglar will gain more damage and more group support abilities, with that said, my question to you guys is should i stick with my burglar, through these boring times... or fall into my selfish needs and play the high dps hunter :p

how bad do groups need or rely on burglars in the 30+'s? because rright now my burg isnt even needed. But... i dont want to screw my group over for any future instances/dungeons/encounters we will be doing by being a hunter instead of burg. ( i know good burgs are hard to come by)

just to add:   i figured if i was a hunter teamed up with our other hunter the dps would out-weigh the burglars utility because we could kill stuff so extremely fast.

thanks ahead. these forums are like my goto guys :p  

Comments

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by nyquil

i got a 18 burglar right now, i play with a minstrel, guardian and hunter of the same level. Heres where my problem lies...I like my hobbit hunter and the damage he does a little better than  the (what seems to be) burglar "fellowship bot."... i say that because the damage is really low, and his debuffs arnt satisfying, and it seems like im really only needed for those "emergency" mishaps where the grp power regen is a lifesaver---other then that i dont feel like i contribute in any way. know in the future the burglar will gain more damage and more group support abilities, with that said, my question to you guys is should i stick with my burglar, through these boring times... or fall into my selfish needs and play the high dps hunter :p
    how bad do groups need or rely on burglars in the 30+'s? because rright now my burg isnt even needed. But... i dont want to screw my group over for any future instances/dungeons/encounters we will be doing by being a hunter instead of burg. ( i know good burgs are hard to come by)
    just to add:   i figured if i was a hunter teamed up with our other hunter the dps would out-weigh the burglars utility because we could kill stuff so extremely fast.

With the group that you are playing with, either your burglar or the lore-master will be the best fit for the group overall.  You could make it work with whatever you decide to play since you've got the Guardian and the Minstrel in place, and the Hunter for the DPS.

As you get higher in levels though you'll be wanting some kind of crowd control.  Lore-Master is best, Burglar is second.  If you decide you want to pass on the crowd-control aspect of it, then you could either go for extra DPS (A Champion or second Hunter) or, you could go the defensive route with a Captain which has respectable Defense, and decent DPS, and has the emergency rez in case the Minstrel dies.

In the end, I'd say play what you like to play; even if it's not the perfect match for your group.  Even with a "sub-optimal" group you can still complete the vast majority of the quests.  You've got the most essential pieces in place; so I'd say just have fun.  The times when you almost die, or even do die and have to come up with a different strategy are the most fun to play. 

• nyquilnyquil Member Posts: 97

anyone think burgs will get a class review soon? seems like they are weakest in game, atleast now that LM's recieved thier class review.

[edit] also curious to know when CC comes into factor... if it is only 40+ then that might be huge in my decision making.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Currently Burglars are really weak.

I have a Burglar and a Minstrel of the same level (40), and I must say that the Minstrel has much stronger offensive abilities (larger DPS). Plus the ability to self-heal. And Minstrels not even a DPS class....

That's why I am not playing my Burglar much right now.

It might get better with the next book, when the "Month of the Burglar" will come, but who knows that for sure :)

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

In Month of the LM, LM went from "pretty good" to "I am Kali, my dance is chaos and destruction. To face me is to embrace oblivion."  So maybe that bodes well for Burgs in the next update. Time will tell.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Reroll immediately. I made a burglar to level 50 as my first LOTRO char to find out the devs are doing everything they can do nerf every possible activity we can be useful for groups (because burglars tend to "own" PvP). So turbine decided to nerf us a lot.

In every patch they nerf some part of the uniqueness we bring into groups. First it were the debuffs (yeh they were stronger before), now they suck. Then they nerfed fellowship conjuction damage. So it's not really needed anymore. Then they nerfed out stealth ability by putting a cooldown on it and a couple of damage fixes. (that were bugs before, but at least gave us some damage enjoyment sometimes).

There won't be any love for burglar class in any patch. Because burglars are still pretty strong for PvP and terrible for PvE. They probably think that that's okay.

I decided to make a LM to level 50 and a hunter and I must say that not only the speed of leveling was way faster with those two classes than with a burglar, but also groups are more interested in you. So you basically do better as a solo and in groups as a LM/hunter.

REALITY CHECK

• nyquilnyquil Member Posts: 97

wow, that sucks.   How are hunters in pvp?

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

The loremaster is currently a much better bet for grouping because of all the flexibility they have.

2 armor debuffs(1 from the bear),lots of melee weakening goodies,a damage shield for the tank,multiple stuns and 2 good mez spells,can cure stun and silence effects,can heal both morale and power,can give a shadow mitigation buff...a great support class which also has reasonable damage.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Play whichever class you enjoy the most. If you play a class you like just because other people want or need you to play that class...you will not be long for this game

Torrential

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

The poster above is spamming the entire board with this statement it seems. :(

Its an advert, and now reported

Torrential

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

wow, that sucks.   How are hunters in pvp?
    Hunters are one of the best (if not the best) PvP classes, or so I've heard. Haven't reached L50 yet to try my Hunter in the 'Moors. Then again, that's not why I rolled a Hunter.

In my opinion, Turbine has gotten the bow-using class right compared to most other MMOs. CoH is the only other MMO I can recall that has a 'glass-cannon' Archer. High ranged DPS, but avoid melee.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• From a pvp point of view which is all I play I have to say burglars are very tough to kill and cause havoc everywhere they go. Hunters tend to be looked down on due to their ability to desperate flight out of trouble every 30 minutes. Some use it if they even see trouble. Just my 2 coppers.