Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE

SOE is doing a bad job of marketing as you all know. which infact is probably there 12 step plan to take over FLS. they are slowly demorilizing there finacing, so therefore SOE is slowly killing FLS. Once FLS runs out of finances. SOE has control/or not, i understand rick and his dev's are very considerate of the gaming world but i had enough of this, i cant sit around and watch SOE kill FLS because they wont listen to the gamers, FLS could find a good marketer such as games for windows(microsoft) electronic arts ect. Rick as we all know SOE will kill FLS.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

The only people who can kill this game is FLS.  If its well built, fun to play, and has a good plan for future development then it will succeed.  

After the recent PE/GandH fiasco I can understand SOE's reluctance to begin marketing too early.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Why do you think Gods and Heroes would suddenly make them learn to be cautious about marketing?  If that were the truth then SOE would have already learned that lesson when they forced Vanguard on the MMO world in the shape it was.

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

Originally posted by Kyleran

The only people who can kill this game is FLS.  If its well built, fun to play, and has a good plan for future development then it will succeed.  
    After the recent PE/GandH fiasco I can understand SOE's reluctance to begin marketing too early.....

Agreed.

• RekitRekit Member Posts: 53

Seriously, SOE, try investing into a production prior to running it into te ground

Star Wars Galaxies, EQ, Vangaurd, now FLS

I do remember though, when it was rumored that SoE was joining up to help with the publishing of PoTBS, all fans eager to play Pirates warned and voiced their opinions about SoE, LOUDLY. 

Flying lab came back saying that they were looking for a publisher and said it would not be likley SOE would be involved. Then when it was publicly known that SOE got the contract, they defended the choice saying SOE has experience, funding, knowledge, resources and that they would not be involved in development to reassure the public SOE could not ruin the game.

Article explaing SOE/FLS contract and how SOE wont screw over FLS www.burningsea.com/page/news/article&article_id=10349

Lets see if it just proves that you dont have to be a developer to ruin a game.

Sorta sad to see, as I am/was hugley anticipating this game, but the fans did warn you FLS to stay well away from SOE

Eve Trial <- Try 14 days of Eve for FREE
    Im against SOE

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Kyleran

There is a huge difference between reluctance and destroying the pre-launch marketing of a game.  What is happening with the Pre-Order boxes at stores across the country is a disaster that can kill FLS and any chance for PoTBS to be a huge success.  Like I said before, I'm in a guild with over 250 people.  We were excited about PoTBS, but became very cautious because of SoE publishing it for them.  We still stuck with FLS until this pre-order box disaster.  I really wish Rusty, Rick, and the rest of the FLS team the best.  We gave them the benefit of the doubt and SoE let them down in a huge way.

Sad part is, it isn't SoE that this going to get screwed over by this disaster.  It is PoTBS and FLS that will take the hit.  Unfortunately, I'm only one voice of many in the guild.  When they vote to move on, I have to move on with them.  Like I said in other threads, SoE can screw up Vanguard's launch like they did and I can see that as an accident.  But once they turned around and are screwing the PoTBS pre-order launch too, that is just a bit too much.

I'm done with SoE and won't support another game with their name on.  I'm sorry, but I can't sit by and watch Rusty, Rick, and the FLS team get screwed like this and then watch them all smile together putting positive spin on it.  I'm done with SoE forever.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

It is amazing how people like to bash SOE....

SOE is a business and in many cases with these games they are just hosting and distributing them.  That doesn't give them control or ownership over the entire game.  It does give them some leverage but not the amount of control people like to assign them...

Development, beta, launch are solely done by the developer.  SOE is just providing distribution and hosting.  How does this make SOE responsible for the quality of the product at launch other then saying no we won't launch this crap and pull the plug on the whole thing...  I'd say even if the game is crap they would want to launch it and make as much money as possible to cover the investment in hosting and marketing. 

Does that make SOE evil or responsible for the game launching poorly?  Not in my book....  I mean you could say SOE should fund more development for the game but maybe they don't think that is a good investment and maybe they don't have the budget for it and maybe they don't think it will work, and finally maybe the company developing the game doesn't want to sell more of ownership of the game to SOE thinking they can launch and pull it off (vanguard anyone?).

SOE does seem to have pretty low standards on games they pick up however seeming to be happy to pick up lost cause games that launch poorly then get bought out by SOE.  Thinking Matrix and Vanguard.  However, one would guess that they ended up owning these games for pennies on the dollar and they presumably are making some money on them or believe they will make money in time.  I'm guessing if you can get a game cheap enough and you have the game running business pretty welll polished you can in fact run these games pretty cheap and make a profit.

This doesn't however make SOE responsible for the product being bad at launch and it's likely that they can't do anything to improve the product other then to threaten to drop the release of the game entirely.

---
    Ethion

Ethion,

We are not talking about the game here.

We are talking about marketing and distribution.  SoE launched PoTBS's official pre-order campaign. SoE put those boxes together.  That is their job.   Boxes that people are buying at stores are all screwed up.  Some boxes are empty.  Other boxes have codes in them with no CDs.  Still other boxes have CDs in them without any codes.  Combine that with SoE's patching servers on the Stress Test weekend where people are taking over 18 hours to download a PATCH for a game and you are combining for a horrible experience.  All of this is/was SoE's responsiblity.  No one is bashing anyone.  We are just explaining facts.

The fact of the matter is, intentional or not, FLS and PoTBS is bent over the coals by SoE.

How on earth is that SoE bashing?

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 334

Rather than get into the SOE is the devil conversation AGAIN, I will simply say that if people are so worried about FLS, or PotBS, they can put their money where their mouths are and back the game.  Show your support with your actions rather than your haughty bravado.  If you want to troll and look for more opportunity to bash SoE, that is easy enough.  But the false concern for FLS/PotBS is a bit much.  If you are sincere, show it.  Back them and make them the success that so many are aware that they can be. If you can't do that, I call your concern suspect and pretentious.  In the end, it won't be SoE that makes or breaks this game.  It will be the "Fans" and other players in the MMO community.  Bad marketing?  It is well proven that word of mouth is the best marketing tool.  I won't play or not play a game based on the fanboi and flamer posts here.  I take the word of my friends.  So yeah, for all of you who truly want the game to succeed, you can help it do so by bringing in a friend.  Deciding not to play based on a name on a box shows your true face, and true depth of your commitments.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Ethion, did you just take a very long worded way of saying it is ok for SOE to release unfinished games as long as they make a buck?

Originally posted by Sunder

Rather than get into the SOE is the devil conversation AGAIN, I will simply say that if people are so worried about FLS, or PotBS, they can put their money where their mouths are and back the game.  Show your support with your actions rather than your haughty bravado.  If you want to troll and look for more opportunity to bash SoE, that is easy enough.  But the false concern for FLS/PotBS is a bit much.  If you are sincere, show it.  Back them and make them the success that so many are aware that they can be. If you can't do that, I call your concern suspect and pretentious.  In the end, it won't be SoE that makes or breaks this game.  It will be the "Fans" and other players in the MMO community.  Bad marketing?  It is well proven that word of mouth is the best marketing tool.  I won't play or not play a game based on the fanboi and flamer posts here.  I take the word of my friends.  So yeah, for all of you who truly want the game to succeed, you can help it do so by bringing in a friend.  Deciding not to play based on a name on a box shows your true face, and true depth of your commitments.

I'm sorry, but I can't.  There is a thing called ethical responsibility.  I can't pay $15 a month for a game knowing that SoE is getting a piece of that pie.  If FLS would go with EA or MS, I'd not only play the game, I'd gladly buy a copy and pay for their subscription too.  My opting out isn't a vote against FLS and PoTBS.  On the contrary.  I'm opting out of giving SoE another AAA title via hostile takeover.  Like it or not, the marketing of PoTBS is the beginning of a hostile takeover of PoTBS by SoE.  IMHO, by the end of 2008 SoE will own PoTBS.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Can anyone name a game where SOE just provided distribution,hosting or any of their other services and didn't end up owning the game?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I heard, that in the middle of the night SOE comes to your house punches you in the groin while you sleep then goes and eats all your tasty snack food.

El Diablo...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

I heard, that in the middle of the night SOE comes to your house punches you in the groin while you sleep then goes and eats all your tasty snack food.

El Diablo...
    Oh NOOOEES!!!  Not my pie!  Damn you SOE!

Originally posted by GreenHell

Can anyone name a game where SOE just provided distribution,hosting or any of their other services and didn't end up owning the game?

Yes, Gods and Heroes:Rome Rising.  SoE dropped P.E. and then shortly there after P.E. canned Gods and Heroes.  IMHO, P.E. tried to milk SoE for more money and SoE to continue developing.  SoE said no, and P.E. couldn't get any more financing for G&H, so they had no choice but to shelve it.  To P.E.'s credit or SoE's smarts (don't know which way to lean on this on) P.E. didn't sell out G&H SoE.

• project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271

you honestly think GFW(Microsoft) or EA would be any better? Two big corporations that want the same thing as SOE does... money. i don't even want to get started on GFW... a good choice to put your games out on would be STEAM! they want money too... but at least they aren't trying to conspire to get every one to switch to vista by making games vista only.

I'd rather they stay private... but if you need some one to make retail boxes for you... whatever.

die. <3

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Shannia

Originally posted by GreenHell Can anyone name a game where SOE just provided distribution,hosting or any of their other services and didn't end up owning the game?

Yes, Gods and Heroes:Rome Rising. SoE dropped P.E. and then shortly there after P.E. canned Gods and Heroes. IMHO, P.E. tried to milk SoE for more money and SoE to continue developing. SoE said no, and P.E. couldn't get any more financing for G&H, so they had no choice but to shelve it. To P.E.'s credit or SoE's smarts (don't know which way to lean on this on) P.E. didn't sell out G&H SoE.

Maybe it was because PE planned to release GnH without Crafting, PVP and something that I forgot and wanted to patch it in later.
    Contract PE/SOE ended on Aug 16. GnH been stopped somewhere on Oct.
  • OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by GreenHell

AC2 expansion?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"you honestly think GFW(Microsoft) or EA would be any better? Two big corporations that want the same thing as SOE does... money."

You mean corporations are not supposed to make money?  What are they supposed to make? The little plastic things at the end of our shoelaces?

Heck, I am not even a corporation, but making money is nice. You think if I incorporated myself SOE might try and buy me out?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

"you honestly think GFW(Microsoft) or EA would be any better? Two big corporations that want the same thing as SOE does... money."

You mean corporations are not supposed to make money?  What are they supposed to make? The little plastic things at the end of our shoelaces?

Heck, I am not even a corporation, but making money is nice. You think if I incorporated myself SOE might try and buy me out?

No, they'd wait until you got a MMORPG ready for market, and if it looked like it could make money, they'd pitch you to publish/market the game for you, do a crappy job of it, make you look like a fool, ruin your name and game, let you launch your game, watch you come squirming to them for help, and then make you a buyout offer that makes them look like a hero and gives you an out.

Now they'll buy you out.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

You all should learn to whine less ,  FLS ( Flagship studios) havent said anything about selling out.

If SOE gets into this they will only handle the online account / billing system.

• betheoopbetheoop Member Posts: 37

With all those SOE hate thread.  Show the board get it's own "We are angry at SOE" or something?

Just a suggestion.

I think if you post 5 times in 15 different SOE hate threads, you get a bumper sticker, and after 10 posts in 35 threads you can download a special "I hate SOE and am a whining loser" avatar.  Matching that in we hate EA threads gets you a 1337 signature download also.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Ethion,
    We are talking about marketing and distribution.  SoE launched PoTBS's official pre-order campaign. SoE put those boxes together.  That is their job.   Boxes that people are buying at stores are all screwed up.  Some boxes are empty.  Other boxes have codes in them with no CDs.  Still other boxes have CDs in them without any codes.  Combine that with SoE's patching servers on the Stress Test weekend where people are taking over 18 hours to download a PATCH for a game and you are combining for a horrible experience.  All of this is/was SoE's responsiblity.  No one is bashing anyone.  We are just explaining facts.
    The fact of the matter is, intentional or not, FLS and PoTBS is bent over the coals by SoE.

Er..... can you please link any news stories you have that report that the distribution of the PotBS pre-orders are "all" screwed up?  I did a quick search, found some articles about the delays due to the fires in CA, but can't find this other information you've reference.

Regardless, there's a month or more till the game starts, plenty of time to straighten out any issues.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200
    Originally posted by kwai

You all should learn to whine less ,  FLS ( Flagship studios) havent said anything about selling out.

If SOE gets into this they will only handle the online account / billing system.

Acutally Flagship does Hellgate London.  We're Flying Lab Software :)

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Ethion,

Well I would guess if things are as bad as you are saying then FLS should switch to another partner for launching the game.  It is FLS's business and it is their success or failure to manage.  If SOE isn't performing then they need to decide to go with another company.

Honestly it is stupid to think that SOE is screwing up to cause FLS to fail so they can buy the game... I suppose SOE has people in black helicopters flying around shooting FLS developers up with drugs to numb there brains while they are at it...

If FLS is successful I'm sure that is a good thing for SOE.  If FLS fails I'm not sure that is a good thing for SOE....  Buying a failed game is also something I'm not sure SOE will do for every case I mean how many can you buy before enough is enough?

---
    Ethion