Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just so you know...3rd person only

a1b2c3a1b2c3 Member Posts: 7

Hi all. I bought the game last night, installed it, updated it and logged in. Because I didn't do proper research I was surprized and disappointed to find out that for some reason the designers made this a 3rd person only game. Why they would choose to do so is beyond me as I feel the player should have a choice between 1st person and 3rd person unless there is a compelling reason to restrict the players perspective (ie. "Thief" were 1st person was a requirement so as to not allow a player to pop into 3rd person to swing the camera around a corner to see what was there, which would spoil the entire effect of the game). But in TR there is no reason IMO to require 3rd person only.

Well... I spent about 15 minutes fiddling with the camera and so on...logged out and cancelled. I was looking forward to this game for quite some time... a pity.

So for those of you who might not know this yet... TR is 3rd person only. If you are a 1st person junkie you may want to think twice about getting TR.

Comments

• Jumper2kJumper2k Member UncommonPosts: 133

Hmm... this is actually a reason I might actually consider getting it  screw 1st person.

Currently Playing: WoW (somewhat)
    Testing: None
    Played: WoW, CoV, AL, SWG, VC, EVE, SWToR

• adamch29adamch29 Member UncommonPosts: 71

This is the stupidest post I have ever seen.  Wow, just wow. 

And actually I think you can use the mouse wheel and go first person.  But who cares? 

If you actually bought the game for 50 bucks and cancelled for that reason, someone needs to tell your mommy to stop wasting money on games.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Really?

Sweet, this sounds like my kinda of game!

Since you just bought it and aren't going to play it can I please have your account?

• a1b2c3a1b2c3 Member Posts: 7

This post was my attempt to warn like minded people not to get the game if they feel the same way as I do about restricted player perspective, not to bring out fanboi wrath. But then, I did have a critism of the game so I should expect it.

It's ludicrous to say that you will buy a game solely because the designers will not allow both 1st person and 3rd person perspectives as mindspat and jumper2k allude to . As for me cancelling....yes its a wasted $49 but why waste time in a game that I won't enjoy? Like I said, my fault for not doing the proper research before buying the game.

adamch29: "the stupidest post you've ever seen"? lol. BTW my mommy wouldn't care what I spend my money on....I'm well beyond my teen years and make 6 figures.

mindspat: sure thing....I'll send over the details right away :)

• NyiiNyii Member Posts: 26

I would test in the middle mouse wheel button and see if the zoomed in camera is 'enough' of a fps for you... otherwise best of luck finding your next adventure!

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

All be told, you're not alone.  There are many people who would rather not see any form of a character on their screen other then the one's they're shooting.  I think this stems from prolonged first person shooter games.

And yes, you should have expected it.   If your post was a little more thought out I'd bet a few more would have found fun with it and others might have taken it more seriously.

Out of currosity, do the six figures include a decimal?  :P

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by a1b2c3

Hi all. I bought the game last night, installed it, updated it and logged in. Because I didn't do proper research I was surprized and disappointed to find out that for some reason the designers made this a 3rd person only game. Why they would choose to do so is beyond me as I feel the player should have a choice between 1st person and 3rd person unless there is a compelling reason to restrict the players perspective (ie. "Thief" were 1st person was a requirement so as to not allow a player to pop into 3rd person to swing the camera around a corner to see what was there, which would spoil the entire effect of the game). But in TR there is no reason IMO to require 3rd person only.
    Well... I spent about 15 minutes fiddling with the camera and so on...logged out and cancelled. I was looking forward to this game for quite some time... a pity.
    So for those of you who might not know this yet... TR is 3rd person only. If you are a 1st person junkie you may want to think twice about getting TR.
    Sorry to hear you already canceld for something minor like that, i'm a fist person ...ermm junky... myslef, but......in TR it doesn't bother me much, it's actual fun, the only MMOrpg that nailed it correct so far is Vanguard, as i love first person but it has to be realistic, WOW's 1st person sucks and is unrealistic where you sort of are ghost in first person, no arms, legs, this goes for more MMO that do not nail fp view correct so asking for first person view in a MMO is kinda hard to get right.

In TR you are able to centre mouse click into shoulder type mode, getting you upclose to the screen but viewing it slightly from your shoulder.

Keep in mind man allot of people are GAMERS and not limited to how or what they play, gamers are able to addept in certain situations, so even those who might be FPS style junky's might find a way to addept...that is if they are GAMERS....., still doesn't have to mean everyone should like/love it, as thats not the case, but complaining and canceling for something this minor ...sorry not something i would see as coming from a GAMER...tbh

• SurrealSnowSurrealSnow Member Posts: 30

Why would you purchase an RPG with the hopes of first-person? I think almost every RPG I've played has been third-person so I didn't believe this would be any different. If you want first-person get a FIRST-PERSON shooter.

• oronisioronisi Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by adamch29

This is the stupidest post I have ever seen.  Wow, just wow. 
    And actually I think you can use the mouse wheel and go first person.  But who cares? 
    If you actually bought the game for 50 bucks and cancelled for that reason, someone needs to tell your mommy to stop wasting money on games.

You can't (as of late beta) zoom in past over-the shoulder.  I can completely see someone being turned off by this...it changes the whole way the game feels.  What I can't understand is why someone wouldn't find out that you are limited to 3rd person ahead of time if that was a deal-breaker for them.

But at least the OP is trying to warn others that may think like he does.  If this post doesn't apply to you, then just move on.  It's his money and his preference to throw it away.  The camera view IS a big deal.  It changes the whole feel of a game.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

Originally posted by SurrealSnow

Why would you purchase an RPG with the hopes of first-person? I think almost every RPG I've played has been third-person so I didn't believe this would be any different. If you want first-person get a FIRST-PERSON shooter.

Then perhaps you need to go out and play more games. Morrowind and Oblivion both were designed around first person (yes you could play in 3rd, but it was very meh.) I don't know if you ever played EverQuest, but it was designed around first person view. It had 3rd person, but it was incredibly limited (granted I've not played in years, and I don't know if they changed it).  As stated ealier, Vanguard had a great first person view as well.

First person has the potential to add a lot of immersion to RPGs and I don't see anything wrong with someone wanting a game designed for First Person. Hell, I'd rather play games in first person, unfortunately, all the craze nowadays is to be able to see your ass 24/7.

• MeTaLMeTaL Member Posts: 13

i really wonder why there is no FPS view. i dont think it would take much to implent such a feature...it wouldnt even change much(if at all) in terms of handling.

does anyone know if there is going to be a first person view?

• SurrealSnowSurrealSnow Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

Originally posted by SurrealSnow Why would you purchase an RPG with the hopes of first-person? I think almost every RPG I've played has been third-person so I didn't believe this would be any different. If you want first-person get a FIRST-PERSON shooter.
    Then perhaps you need to go out and play more games. Morrowind and Oblivion both were designed around first person (yes you could play in 3rd, but it was very meh.) I don't know if you ever played EverQuest, but it was designed around first person view. It had 3rd person, but it was incredibly limited (granted I've not played in years, and I don't know if they changed it).  As stated ealier, Vanguard had a great first person view as well.

First person has the potential to add a lot of immersion to RPGs and I don't see anything wrong with someone wanting a game designed for First Person. Hell, I'd rather play games in first person, unfortunately, all the craze nowadays is to be able to see your ass 24/7.

See that's why I said 'I think'. I knew I was going to forget something. :) You're right, Morrowind and Oblivion we're wicked in first-person and bland in third-person, but I mean other than that I haven't seen any others.

I think a great deal of the problem is the lack of gameplay footage. I mean when I was looking for a video on how it plays I couldn't find anything. A video which showed people how the gameplay is would certainly have spared him dissapointment.

Would first-person view be wicked for TR? Yeah. Implementable? Don't see why not, but first let's get some more FPS elements tied in nicely.

Originally posted by MeTaL

i really wonder why there is no FPS view. i dont think it would take much to implent such a feature...it wouldnt even change much(if at all) in terms of handling.
    does anyone know if there is going to be a first person view?
    Simply, to much code for a MMO, look at how heavy Vanguard was/is, heck check the performance complaints of some people even in TR, imagine TR would have nailed FP view correct, meaning seeing your weapons/bodyparts like you see your own body sort of or like i said in Vanguard. It's a much more complicated type of code,, sure some games you can zoom in and view it first person, but when it lacks what i said your full body i see no immersion but more a distraction to play such game.

So don't count on it to be implemented into TR, would be a rewrite of the total character/game code, that is if they want to nail it right, if they want it WOW like fp view then sure it might be done, but then for me atleast it's totaly not immersive to play FP view in that way and bet most FP ...."junky's"also prefure that if FP view is done right and shows your weapons/bodyparts is the only way fp view can be immersive.....right?

• MeTaLMeTaL Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Simply, to much code for a MMO, look at how heavy Vanguard was/is, heck check the performance complaints of some people even in TR, imagine TR would have nailed FP view correct, meaning seeing your weapons/bodyparts like you see your own body sort of or like i said in Vanguard. It's a much more complicated type of code,, sure some games you can zoom in and view it first person, but when it lacks what i said your full body i see no immersion but more a distraction to play such game.

So don't count on it to be implemented into TR, would be a rewrite of the total character/game code, that is if they want to nail it right, if they want it WOW like fp view then sure it might be done, but then for me atleast it's totaly not immersive to play FP view in that way and bet most FP ...."junky's"also prefure that if FP view is done right and shows your weapons/bodyparts is the only way fp view can be immersive.....right?

yes i agree it can only be immersive with limbs showing...but its just optical isnt it? i mean its just for the eye...like cockpit view with or without the steeringwheel. cant imagine that it would be much additional work... correct me if i'm wrong. i've never played vanguard so i cant really say anything about it, but if its really such a performance killer...that'd be a bummer. was it really the fps view that did it or was it the vanguard engine in general? i heard it was pretty buggy.

Originally posted by MeTaL

Originally posted by Reklaw

yes i agree it can only be immersive with limbs showing...but its just optical isnt it? i mean its just for the eye...like cockpit view with or without the steeringwheel. cant imagine that it would be much additional work... correct me if i'm wrong. i've never played vanguard so i cant really say anything about it, but if its really such a performance killer...that'd be a bummer. was it really the fps view that did it or was it the vanguard engine in general? i heard it was pretty buggy.

Vanguards engine, for the most part was awefull heavy on your system, i couldn't play in full but needed to play it at balance'd/medium with some sliders tweaked down.  Did you play pre-cu SWG beta/release?? compare how the game felt with how Vanguard felt at release .....sort of

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by mindspat

All be told, you're not alone.  There are many people who would rather not see any form of a character on their screen other then the one's they're shooting.  I think this stems from prolonged first person shooter games.
    And yes, you should have expected it.   If your post was a little more thought out I'd bet a few more would have found fun with it and others might have taken it more seriously.
    Out of currosity, do the six figures include a decimal?  :P

Epic whiteout.  I'm snowblind now.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95

Epic necro is what it is.

• RaisatihaneRaisatihane Member Posts: 10

A bit long post. Maybe next time u shall ask ingame?

For FPS press "Shft+9"... and ofc vice versa

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

Nice thread necro.  It was posted November of '07

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

I want to know why the hell he went throught about 9 pages to dig this up from two years ago.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Fail.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Raisatihane

A bit long post. Maybe next time u shall ask ingame?
    For FPS press "Shft+9"... and ofc vice versa

Check the date of the OP. There was no FPS when he posted.

This discussion has been closed.