Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE has dropped the ball on distribution.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by Defect

Hmm. I always download at my full line cap speed (3mbps) from fileplanet servers. Yeah, the free ones too. I've used fileplanet for years, and their servers are top quality. Sure, im in the US, but I also download from servers in China, and Malaysia at max speed too. I think your just looking for an excuse to complain  :P
    Also, you can try a site such as www.filemirrors.com. Type in the filename (you can get the filename from fileplanet, just go through as if you were going to download it.) and click search!
    I typed in "potbs" and guess what the first thing to come up was? PotBS-Install.exe from www.buringsea.com !  Im sure you'll be excited to see this! The download is the 100MB SOE Launcher/Patcher that will download the game for you from FLS/SOE servers. No corrupt files, and resuming is available too.
    Ok, I did all this work FOR YOU. Merry Christmas. 
    Well I was going to download the boarding party pre-order but wait for it...if you download it you don't get the special pre-order ingame items that you would if you bought the box in a store. Apparently the ingame items you get with the pre-order box are an incentive to get stores to put the box on their shelves, which seems to have failed miserabley. Rather than an incentive for me to buy it, I always thought it was the other way around and the stores incentive was making money.

However when I last looked SOE only offered the game as a download, not the boarding party. Also SOE is pony and it would take way too long to download the client from them. But thanks for the site that searches for file mirrors, I'll make a note of that and maybe it could search out some extra mirrors for the next stress test. Although I doubt this since it's an exclusive deal with Fileplanet, but thanks anyway and Merry Christmass

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

"Here’s exactly what SOE brings to this that we want:

1) Strong distribution – We want Pirates of the Burning Sea to be in every retail store that carries games. SOE has that down cold.

2) Great localization process – We really want a simultaneous launch in Europe and the US because we think it could do as well over there as over here. Working with SOE gives us the best chance of making that happen.

3) Enthusiasm – I really can’t stress this enough. You can write a contract to say anything you want about how much work each party will do, but that’s nothing compared to having your partners genuinely excited to work with you, from the marketing people to the programmers to the executives. And boy, are they excited. (You would be, too, if a great game fell into your lap!)

4) Clockwork process – We want to launch Pirates this fall. The game is in great shape and we’re going into large-scale beta testing this week. To hit a fall launch date, we needed a partner who knows the entire process inside and out, someone who can just start turning the crank and making it happen."

-problems with pre-orders being in stores, or store workers even knowing what the game is

-folks outside the US having even more trouble getting their hands on pre-orders

-last significant mention of PotBS by SOE at their fan-faire, months ago

-launching in Januaray (not fall!)

-no significant mentions in major gaming magazines for the last 6 months (and STILL not on PC Gamers "Release Meter")

On the surface...it seems like Platform Publishing isn't keeping up their end of the bargain.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    Originally posted by Bountytaker

1) Strong distribution – We want Pirates of the Burning Sea to be in every retail store that carries games. SOE has that down cold.

2) Great localization process – We really want a simultaneous launch in Europe and the US because we think it could do as well over there as over here. Working with SOE gives us the best chance of making that happen.

3) Enthusiasm – I really can’t stress this enough. You can write a contract to say anything you want about how much work each party will do, but that’s nothing compared to having your partners genuinely excited to work with you, from the marketing people to the programmers to the executives. And boy, are they excited. (You would be, too, if a great game fell into your lap!)

4) Clockwork process – We want to launch Pirates this fall. The game is in great shape and we’re going into large-scale beta testing this week. To hit a fall launch date, we needed a partner who knows the entire process inside and out, someone who can just start turning the crank and making it happen."

-problems with pre-orders being in stores, or store workers even knowing what the game is
    -folks outside the US having even more trouble getting their hands on pre-orders
    -no significant mentions in major gaming magazines for the last 6 months (and STILL not on PC Gamers "Release Meter")

On the surface...it seems like Platform Publishing isn't keeping up their end of the bargain.

SOE didn't meet any of those criteria according to what people are reporting.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

It was at my local Best Buy Saturday and I am not in CA.

• BROKGUITARBROKGUITAR Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Zerocyde

Ohh WAAAAA! In our country we don't get a video game on time!

*turns tv to mtv channel*
    *turns tv to E! channel* (hollywood entertainment channel)

At least you don't live here. I'd gladly trade problems with you any day. :P

I don't understand, are  you making fun of yourself or anyone who is complaining?

Last weekend the council of SOE haters met on the Miraluka homeworld inorder to peer into the force and see the future concerning PotBS and SOE (and get some of those hot blind chicks from KOTOR). Well this is what we saw,

Peering into the force at first it was misty then the mist cleared to reveal Darth Smedley's throne room in Austin (a bit like the Emperors one on the deathstar in Return of the Jedi). Darth Smedley was sitting on his throne on a dark stormy night with flashes of lightning and heavy thunder outside. The door to the lifts opened and his padawan Brad McQuaid leads in Rusty, Rusty has a rather unhappy look on his face.

Smedley motions to his guards and says "You may leave us", they all walk into the lift and leave. Brad kneels at the throne of Smed and Smed motions to him also saying "Rise my padawan". Brad stands and produces a cutlass, handing it to Smedley he says "He was armed only with this". Smedley fondles the cutlass and looking a Rusty he says "Ah yes a pirate's weapon, much like Brad's broadsword yes?"

Rusty not very happy by now shouts angrily "Listen man just cut the Star Wars ****, WTF has happened with this distribution deal?". Smed cackles evily and says "Good, good your hate makes you powerfull use it and embrace the darkside!". Rusty having got very frustrated stares viciously at Smed and shouts "Look I don't give a rats backside what you and your chum like to get up to in your spare time. The trouble is we had a deal, you said you had distribution down cold and I'm looking bad. I've got thousands of peeved gamers that want to buy my product but they can't because you can't keep your end of the bargin up. You should be getting my game on shelves instead of role playing with mister elves in tights here!"

Smedley's face turns from jovial to one of deadly seriousness, he throws down the cutlass and spits out venomously "I have altered the deal, pray I don't alter it further!". Brad whispers to Smed "Did he just call me an elf in tights?". Smed looks at Brad and says "Yes but what are you gonna do about it?". Brad pulls out his Broadsword and charges at Rusty, Rusty quickly throws some sand in his face then stomps on his foot. Brad blinded drops his sword and grabs his foot whilst hopping  and screaming in pain, Rusty then takes out a pistol and steadying it with his arm aims and kneecaps Brad. Brad drops to the floor screaming "Master help, save me please!".

Smedley cackles with pleasure then says to Rusty "Brad is old and slow, strike him down and take your rightfull place by me!". Brad shouts "Slow? I died to lag honest! I was fighting in debug mode, just give me a few more months master please!". Smed looks on Brad with utter disdain "Stop your putrid whining you wretched vomit stain!", Brad whimpers "Errm OK".

Rusty marches over and picks his cutlass up from the floor and points it at Smedleys face while he sits uncomfortably on his throne wearing his dark robes and hood. Smedley says in a more agreeable tone "Hey look I was just having a laugh and didn't mean anything honest" he slowly reaches for his duel wield Tasers hidden in compartments in the arms of the throne. Rusty says cooly "Put ye hands in the air ye scurvy dog, lest I chop 'em off and feed 'em to the gulls!". Smed raises his hands looking confused and Rusty continues "Now ye 'ave been treatin' Rusty like he be ye cabin boy, but ye better start getting 'em boxes in shops lest I get angry". Smedley shaking with fear now replys "Sure whatever you say Rusty I'll get right on it", Rusty shouts "That be Cap'n Rusty to you ye filthy land lubber!". "Very well captain Rusty", "no Cap'n Rusty, now say it or you'll be wearing ye guts fur gartters!", "OK errrmmm...Cap'n Rusty?". Rusty smiles and says "Good lad, now ye better 'ave them boxes on shelves or I'll cut ye balls of and use 'em as a pin cushion understand?", "Yes ccccap'n Rusty", "Now If ye be trying to make Rusty ye cabin boy again the birds be fighting the lizzards for ye gizzards, understand Jim lad?". Smedley now shaking with fear and desperately needing a pee says "Yes cap'n Rusty". Rusty barks "No that be "ie ie Cap'n Rusty sir!" now say it ye lubber!", "Ie ie cap'n Rusty sir!".

Rusty then marches out singing a sea shanty about Spanish women leaving Brad bleeding on the floor from his kneecaps and Smedley soiling himself.

The mist came back and the vision was over, we then opened a few kegs of beer and got to partying with the local Miraluka lap dancers. So it looks like things may well be salvaged thanks to Rusty, although I must warn you, that is but one possible future,

Agricola

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Originally posted by Bountytaker

SOE didn't meet any of those criteria according to what people are reporting.

Well, I don't know for sure that their "enthusiasm" has been bad...but it does appear that way.  You could give them a "push" on that one.

They've for sure struggled with one and two on FLS' list....the pre-order process is NOT "down cold", and there is still confusion about whether non-US retailers will have it by 1/7/07.

I'm sure the FLS folks will say the January release is NOT SOE's fault...that it was due in greater part to a desire to test/clean the game.  But, considering they're having trouble on the distribution end in Nov., I think it's safe to say it would have been an even bigger problem in Aug. and Sept. (if it could even have been ready).

Oh, and I didn't mention that I've even read some customer support concerns already, which I believe is SOE, although it's not mentioned in that list from the contract announcement.

So, I'd say SOE has come up WAY SHORT on it's end of the deal,because SOME boxes are in, and they MAY be enthusiastic, and therefore isn't a "total failure" on their part.

But, honestly, it's pretty darn close.

Really surprised there's no dev talk in this thread.  After the semi-trolling thread they participated/started last week, I'm shocked they haven't been in here, cannon's ablazing.  Maybe they expect everyone to go over to the main site, where the discussion is more controlled.

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

Didn't seem much point in getting involved.  Most of the problem seems to be that the OP can't get things in Thailand.   In the case of the stress test that's Fileplanet, and for the preorder that's well out outside of the scope of SOE's distribution area (US and Europe).   Hardly dropping the ball.  Then it devolved into a SOE bashing fest, which is getting a little old.  G&H wasn't their fault.  G&H borking our pre order wasn't their fault.  Gamespot being more interested in getting Assasin's Creed retail box out than our pre-order box isn't really their fault either.  The fact is that in the game market the CHAINS decide when they distribute boxes from their central warehouses to the stores, and to which ones.  SOE got the boxes to the big chains, but Smedly doesn't hand deliver them to each Gamestop.  They've been following up with all the stores that people have reported not having the game (see very long thread on our forum), so it didn't seem worth doing it all again here. 

We still expect the retail box to be in all the places we want, and we  expect the pre-order to be there in plenty of time for the holidays.  Honestly, I'd rather talk about the game than SOE again.  Hopefully a lot of you made it in to the stress test and are now in the beta.  I'm happy to answer any Q's I can without getting into NDA specifics.

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

Originally posted by RickSaada

Didn't seem much point in getting involved.  Most of the problem seems to be that the OP can't get things in Thailand.   In the case of the stress test that's Fileplanet, and for the preorder that's well out outside of the scope of SOE's distribution area (US and Europe).   Hardly dropping the ball.  Then it devolved into a SOE bashing fest, which is getting a little old.  G&H wasn't their fault.  G&H borking our pre order wasn't their fault.  Gamespot being more interested in getting Assasin's Creed retail box out than our pre-order box isn't really their fault either.  The fact is that in the game market the CHAINS decide when they distribute boxes from their central warehouses to the stores, and to which ones.  SOE got the boxes to the big chains, but Smedly doesn't hand deliver them to each Gamestop.  They've been following up with all the stores that people have reported not having the game (see very long thread on our forum), so it didn't seem worth doing it all again here. 
    We still expect the retail box to be in all the places we want, and we  expect the pre-order to be there in plenty of time for the holidays.  Honestly, I'd rather talk about the game than SOE again.  Hopefully a lot of you made it in to the stress test and are now in the beta.  I'm happy to answer any Q's I can without getting into NDA specifics.
    I hope the "SOE bashing fest" comment wasn't directed at my post.  All I did was quote your media announcement, and compare it to recent developments.  If that's bashing, than I'm stumped.

Not surprised the lack of "down cold" distribution, the cofusing info on the difference of d2d and box pre-orders, and the sheer lack of advertising are someone else's fault....

To correct you Rick I'm buying the game in the UK (AmazonUK) as I do with all my games due to download speeds and manuals written in Thai aren't much good to me (also I like to have the disc). According to you guys SOE had it "down cold" however not one store in the EU that I know of (correct me if I'm wrong) has a box of the pre-order boarding party on the shelves because SOE has not signed a deal to distribute it in the EU yet (correct me if I'm wrong). Now it's very patchy at best in the U.S.A with many pre-order boxes not containing a code which has been reported on the official site (correct me if I'm wrong).

You can only pass so much of the blame onto the chain stores, the facts are that your publisher is under performing and according to what I've seen it isn't just one guy in Thailand that's having a temper tantrum because he can't download the pre-order (which doesn't have any of the ingame extras such as the parrot unlike the box, correct me if I'm wrong). As far as I understand it we are talking about the game and when will it be on shelves and why it isn't.

But I accept your answer that you expect it to be in stores in plenty of time for the holidays (I hope you mean Christmass). It's not enougfh for me but as you pointed out that's not yours nor SOEs fault and life's a bitch. I'll still probably pick up a copy in the Spring when I visit the UK though and hope to see you all ingame then. I'm sorry if it seems like negative SOE bashing but what is someone supposed to say when they open the box and no code is present or SOE still haven't worked a deal out in the EU one week after it was meant to be on shelves there and that's no considering the one month it was pushed back?

I hope the problems get worked out and PotBS does as well as it should,

Agricola

CS Lewis

There has yet to be an announcement that the Pre-Order is available outside the US, so it's hard to say they've dropped the ball on it.  Deals have been signed, so hopefully that announcement and availability dates will be made when Rusty gets back from his current swing through Asia.

The problems with the missing codes are still being investigated.  One thing we suspect is confusion on the part of Gamespot employees.  Because of the way some of these chains operate, there are two boxes distributed to the stores.  Empty boxes go on the shelves, while the boxes with the CD's and codes are kept behind the counter to prevent theft.  Some stores apparently got one or the other  but not both from their distribution center.  Some have also sold the wrong ones, resulting in people with empty boxes.   Which is why we're telling people to be careful and open them at the store.  Sadly, many of the Gamespot stores are so console focused we've had reports of comments like "Why do we even carry PC Games any more."  Sigh. 

• BROKGUITARBROKGUITAR Member Posts: 16

There has yet to be an announcement that the Pre-Order is available outside the US, so it's hard to say they've dropped the ball on it.  Deals have been signed, so hopefully that announcement and availability dates will be made when Rusty gets back from his current swing through Asia.
    The problems with the missing codes are still being investigated.  One thing we suspect is confusion on the part of Gamespot employees.  Because of the way some of these chains operate, there are two boxes distributed to the stores.  Empty boxes go on the shelves, while the boxes with the CD's and codes are kept behind the counter to prevent theft.  Some stores apparently got one or the other  but not both from their distribution center.  Some have also sold the wrong ones, resulting in people with empty boxes.   Which is why we're telling people to be careful and open them at the store.  Sadly, many of the Gamespot stores are so console focused we've had reports of comments like "Why do we even carry PC Games any more."  Sigh. 

I understand the Gamestop problem and I am going to ask for a refund tomorrow. I will be looking for a good online site selling the pre-release package and get it shipped to me. Anyone have a good experience with a online order let me know. Thanks for stopping by and giving me a idea of whats up Rick.

Is Rusty coming to Bangkok? If so maybe I can hunt him down and get a copy!

CS Lewis

I thought the announcement was held up because SOE wasn't ready to confirm the Euro date?  That's what Rusty said when he posted (when he was sick, but somehow still contacted SOE on the expected info date of 11/14).

As for the codes...from what I've read, you're putting a bit too much blame on Gamespot.  I've read several accounts, on your own forums, of players opening boxes WITH CD's, but WITHOUT codes.  Heck, one guy opened 10 boxes at the store, found 10 CD's, and no codes.

The "wrong boxes" excuse seems a bit off...based on poster feedback at burningsea.com

And, yes, gamestore clerks that are not-PC friendly are annoying...but they certainly don't attribute for all of the confusing info, and lack of promotion.  You couldn't get a straight answer on SOE of burningsea.com last week, websites with pre-orders were a mess, and plenty of PC friendly staff had never heard of PotBS (something that's been pointed out for most of the YEAR).  And don't forget...FLS CHOSE this time of year, opting to release AFTER Christmas so the game didn't get bogged down in the holiday console fury (which they recognized as a problem).  The timing was your call, not Gamestop's, Best Buy's, or Amazon's.

Basically, laying a large part of the blame on the console market is a stretch.

Hah!  Sorry, I don't know his itinerary, but I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure this trip is just Japan, Korea, and China, but there may be a couple other stops.  To be honest, I don't recall any plans for Thailand, but I haven't stayed in the loop on Asia as much recently. 

Hah!  Sorry, I don't know his itinerary, but I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure this trip is just Japan, Korea, and China, but there may be a couple other stops.  To be honest, I don't recall any plans for Thailand, but I haven't stayed in the loop on Asia as much recently. 

I understand, in this country you'd need to have a gamecard as people play all subscription based games via gamecared here and cash shop cames. If SOE did a deal with Asia soft (I think that's the name of the card my son's always buying) then it'd open a massive market here.

I know it must feel like you're being stretched over the prison table now that the honeymoon is coming to an end (Welcome to the world of the PRE-CU VET!). However if it weren't for the fact that this game offers so much like, a dynamic PvP system, a player run economy, a setting other than elves in tights and faction VS faction PvP. Then you'd be looking at a dead forum, crapping your pants because despite distribution trouble no-one seems to care!

We aren't p***ing and moaning because we think it's a bad game, but because we think it's a good one and want to buy it and get into it ASAP. So as the song goes "Always look on the bright side of life"

CS Lewis

SOE isn't involved in the Asian deals at all.  Anything we do over there will be a partnership with a local shop to localize it and maybe produce custom content for an Asian version of the game.  You pretty much have to partner when working in most Asian countries, and we really like the idea of doing a Pirates of the Asian Seas.   Note that doesn't apply to Aus/NZ where there are separate deals afoot with regards to the PotBS version.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

SOE isn't involved in the Asian deals at all.  Anything we do over there will be a partnership with a local shop to localize it and maybe produce custom content for an Asian version of the game.  You pretty much have to partner when working in most Asian countries, and we really like the idea of doing a Pirates of the Asian Seas.   Note that doesn't apply to Aus/NZ where there are separate deals afoot with regards to the PotBS version.

SoE hired an IGE.com VP to head up their Asian division.  It might be worth giving them a shout.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Agricola1, I owe you an apology.  After consulting with my guild, this disaster with boxes, codes, etc wasn't isolated but everywhere boxes are or suppose to be on store shelves.   After inspection of several boxes at 3 different stores in my area, it is obvious something smells rotten.  No one in my guild was able to get a box with the code and cds in it.  It was either codes or cds, but not both.  It may not have been intentional on SoE's part, but after the disaster with the release earlier this year with Vanguard and then how the PoTBS is going down now, something isn't right.  Once with a major competitor in a year I can see as an accident.  Now with the same stuff going on again with a competitor's launch, I don't know.

Anyway, Agricola.  Again, my apologies for getting on you earlier in the thread.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• VociferorVociferor Member Posts: 98

I think we all know that part of the problem here is that "some", not all ofc (no names, no flames, no accusations), of these people seem almost to need SOE to let FLS down just to reassure them of the validity of their past and ongoing decision to boycott the company. 

Sometimes I get the impression that it is almost like it would be a personal insult to their integrity if PotBS was to launch successfully with a small sphere of the work out-sourced to SOE.  Especially when they so strongly desire to play the game yet are all too aware of the fact that they cannot because of this long-running boycott, which is -  the saddest part.  I applaud your resolute stance in your boycott yet also feel for you in your inability to play a game you long to try.

Rick I'm sure is aware of the problem and therefore I'd like to commend him on his continued responses, even those to people that had already made up their minds.

With a conscientious customer service team like this we should be wishing the company all the best rather than lurking at the sidelines, poised to pounce with a round of childlike "Nyah, Nyah, I told you so"s at the first sign of trouble.  

Supporting the good-guys will help to promote change industry-wide which is, after-all, what we all want.  Hoping they fail because SOE codes the launcher and distributes the boxes isn't going to do anyone any good except the shareholders of the big-guns in the industry because you have just helped to neutralise one of their competitors.  

EDIT: Some posts were made ahead of mine while I was writing this so I've changed the first line a little to keep the meaning.

Originally posted by Shannia

Agricola1, I owe you an apology.  After consulting with my guild, this disaster with boxes, codes, etc wasn't isolated but everywhere boxes are or suppose to be on store shelves.   After inspection of several boxes at 3 different stores in my area, it is obvious something smells rotten.  No one in my guild was able to get a box with the code and cds in it.  It was either codes or cds, but not both.  It may not have been intentional on SoE's part, but after the disaster with the release earlier this year with Vanguard and then how the PoTBS is going down now, something isn't right.  Once with a major competitor in a year I can see as an accident.  Now with the same stuff going on again with a competitor's launch, I don't know.
    Anyway, Agricola.  Again, my apologies for getting on you earlier in the thread.

I didn't take any offence mate but apology accepted, I understand when you see a thread with SOE in it and someone is complaining you probably think I'm doing it to get on the bandwagon or something. Though I freely admit to being a card carrying member of the SOE haters club ;)

I just want to play this game badly and decided to forget about the past and SOE, maybe I have over-reacted. OK I have over-reacted but there is still a problem and I'm not doing handstands of delight because of it. Good luck to everyone who wants to play this and I hope I'll see you soon.

CS Lewis

• RekitRekit Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by aceizhere

go to direct2drive pre oder form there youll get a box some time but you willa t least get a key XD
    Originally posted by thorwood

Just download it when it is available. 
    I live in Adelaide Australia, have tried downloadin my first game from D2D EBgames, or atleast tried. I live outside licenced distributation area for EBgames even though the store is 2 km away from my home, I am not aloud to purchase online from EB.. okay.

So I go to store, ask them about PoTBS, and they ask me what kinda game is it, i explain, then ask when pre-order for australia is, and also when will the game be instore. They check the computer... checks again... askes the other clerk... Then finally he grabs the phone. After getting off the phone, he then tells me they are unaware of pre-order and shelving dates. He explains to me I can place a pre-order for the pre-order because they dont know if they will be carrying that title.

On another note, I myself have also had my run ins with SOE with V;SOH, involving cancelation, unauthorised billing, an mutiple billing. Contacting SOE customer suport, game support, billing department, and complaints, I got abused, shafted, and told basically that it was of no fault of their own. Even when i rang their office (international call), I got bounced from one department to the next from one operator the the next., etc.

I was one of many I knew from ingame, from the forums, and personal friends. I then got my bank, CC company and the ombudsmen involved, they advised me on actions to take. Apon threatening a law suit, and filing with my bank a form for my CC company to reinburse money for "failure to deliver goods or services" form I was reinbursed my money within 48 hours.

Apon finally winning this little battle with SOE, i explained how I went about it via private messages on the V;SOH forums to others having similar difficulties how I was mistreated and how I recieved they money taken unauthorised by SOE refunded to my bank account. I was then sent a nasty PM from one of the senior forum administrators, explaining that i was to cease my actions and that I was now banned from the forums. They also sent PMs to the people i had contacted explaining that I did not know what I was talking about and if they were to take this path of action it would get them no where.

I can think of a few things wrong with the senario, but anyways this has turned into a 'SOE HATE' post and that was not intended, I just still get so worked up about it.

Eve Trial <- Try 14 days of Eve for FREE
    Im against SOE

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Originally posted by Agricola1

Yeah I decided to forget about SWG and what happened and was awaiting a copy of the pre-order for PotBS. FLS stressed on several occasions about how SOE had no control over the product and how happy they were with the deal.
    FFW to October when the pre-order was meant to be on shelves and yes...SOE you are the weakest link. It gets pushed back to November 13th because of bush fires and G&H being cancelled. Fine I didn't say anything there was still plenty of time for me to get a copy and be there on the 7th with the other rabid fanbois.
    FFW to November 13th when the pre-order was meant to be on shelves and you guessed it...SOE you are the weakest link again! Unless you live in Canada or Sacramento, California you probably can't find a copy and your local games store has never heard of PotBS. So with Christmass approaching and the inevitable postal delays it looks like some/many/most of us won't be able to join in on the 7th. As for the 22nd and getting a standard box, well what happens there is anybodys guess.
    The trouble is SOEs lack of involvment, after looking on the FLS site for info it seems they know less than I do. They have no idea about when/if a deal will/can be made to put the pre-order in stores in Europe before the 7th, as for NA they just have no explination. They advise going to your store and if they don't have it or have never heard of it you should call SOE customer service and inform them giving the store details. Call SOE customer service? Are you crazy? Some guy at a call center in Bombay is gonna sort out your problems finding a copy of PotBS in Detroit? SOE customer service is infamous throughout the industry and for good reasons.
    However this fiasco is being blamed on the stores and their poor managment, well there was no problem with getting a POS out like Vanguard. No trouble getting G&H pre-orders into stores, maybe Rusty needs to start asking Smed some hard questions?
    I'm sorry to be so negative and I know it's not due to FLS and they really can't do much about it. I'm fine with waiting for an MMO because it needs more polish and so forth, but PotBS is ready and there are boxes that should've been on shelves over a  month ago in Europe and North America. I just can't wait hoping that one day a pre-order might turn up on Amazon and maybe a normal box will follow afterwards. I still want to play PotBS and probably will but I was sick and tired of SOE BS before I was ready to buy a pre-order of PotBS. I was under the impression that thanks to FLS I wasn't gonna have to deal with this kind of **** from SOE anymore, it seems I was mistaken. So I'll be playing TR into the new year and will take another look at PotBS after the 22nd, and just hope that this excellent game and it's community get the break they deserve.
    Agricola

but if SOE has no control over product why would they care if the pre-order comes to stores or not?

Because Sony makes money for every retail box sold.  In fact because of our contract with them they make more of their money on the boxes (where they do a lot of work with manufacturing and distribution) and almost none on the back end (where they only do billing).  They are therefore incented to get lots of boxes out on store shelves.  And pre-order sales have an effect on how many retail copies a store or chain orders.  So poor pre-order sales don't make SOE happy any more than us, as that may affect their later box profits.  Which is why they're working to fix the current situation as quickly as possible.     

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Good riddance. I am really a rabit gamer for 20 years, and god knows I too am often "hot" for a new release. But great maker, its a game! Its not the birth of your son and heir is postponed! So its a few days later... so what? It's there when it's there. Be patient. This aggro debates dont help. You can be sure everyone involved has a vital interest to ship it to as many ppl as possible.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert