Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes LOTRO different?

Comments

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

1. Gets boring quite quickly...was the fastest MMO I ever quit playing...

2. Music system is cool. No pratical use though...(except RP...but that was very far and between during my playtime)

3. Conjunction system...very cool, but seems that it was only useful for a kinship or voice chat...if in a PUG...no one cared what was picked...just went for what they needed and not what the group needed.

4. Voice Chat...but this is becoming prevalent in most games now (WoW, EvE Online, Tabula Rasa)

5. The largest community of discussion on their usage of subscription numbers of any MMO...even more than the 9 million usage by WoW.

Hope that helps

Cheers!

Originally posted by MartialGold

Even though not what was typed (empty on purpose)...sure that we can see where that post will be going...very soon...hehe

• JMadisonIVJMadisonIV Member Posts: 282

What makes LOTRO Different?

Nothing. 

But in this case it isn't necessarily a bad thing, because while LOTRO doesn't re-invent the wheel(and let's face it, there isn't an MMO out right now that does, besides maybe Tabula Rasa), what it does, it does *very well*

it's a very well-produced, very stable, well polished, very solid game at this point in time, in my opinion.  very much worth the subscription.

I do like the unique take on the typical class roles though(Hunter as the Glass Cannon, Champions as the DPS machine, Burglars as debuffers, etc.) and the story-driven Book/Chapter system.

plus my Burglar is 100x more fun to play than my WoW Rogue(s) ever were.

and lastly, Landroval is arguably the best server I've ever played on in any MMORPG, in terms of Community and average maturity of  the playerbase.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by JMadisonIV

Nothing. 
    But in this case it isn't necessarily a bad thing, because while LOTRO doesn't re-invent the wheel(and let's face it, there isn't an MMO out right now that does, besides maybe Tabula Rasa), what it does, it does *very well*
    it's a very well-produced, very stable, well polished, very solid game at this point in time, in my opinion.  very much worth the subscription.
    I do like the unique take on the typical class roles though(Hunter as the Glass Cannon, Champions as the DPS machine, Burglars as debuffers, etc.) and the story-driven Book/Chapter system.
    and lastly, Landroval is arguably the best server I've ever played on in any MMORPG, in terms of Community and average maturity of  the playerbase.

And that is really the bottom line...  If you think it's worth the price of the subscription (or lifetime in some cases).  Those that do, will continue to play and tell friends about the game.  Those that don't will stop playing.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by JMadisonIV

Nothing. 

I agree. Landroval has a great community...have met some awesome people there.  I think the community on this server is one of the reasons I'm enjoying this game so much.

• CreDiBlesCreDiBles Member Posts: 17

Should be called Bored of The Rings. The game is more of a grind than most others I have played. Player base aint all that great either.

IMHO there are other games out there with better gameplay.

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

The main thing I've noticed (and this is off of a day of the trial, which is oddly enough almost enough to merit a subscription based on what I've seen) is that the pacing is very different from a game like WoW.  In WoW, even if I haven't done the quest before I tend to feel inclined to rush, since the directions are streamlined and I feel like I "need" to hit a higher level ASAP.  LotRO feels much different.  I feel more like I'm having an actual impact on things, the quest chains all relating somehow to one another (such as everybody the sense of urgency in the starting area for humans, if there are multiple ones.)

Maybe it's because this is all brand new to me, but it feels much more story based than WoW ever did.  Even the kill quests feel like they have more of a point.

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by FTYG

Hello guys
    What makes LOTRO different than any other mmorpg?

Thank  you  

1. Dungeons

2. Story line

3. Environment

4. Suspense Quests

5. Mini Games/Additions (Session play, Housing, Music system, Events, Monsterplay)

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by sandage

Hello guys

Thank  you  

1. Dungeons

2. Story line

3. Environment

4. Suspense Quests

5. Mini Games/Additions (Session play, Housing, Music system, Events, Monsterplay)

<sigh>  I will reiterate this Sandage as you apparently did not read my previous post, there is nothing unique about the Housing system, except the outrageous prices that LoTRO has for housing.  UO was first to have housing, DAoC was the first to have housing instances that were neighborhoods.  Even SWG had housing like UO.  Again, that is nothing unique to LoTRO from other MMORPG's.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Vato26

Hello guys

Thank  you  

1. Dungeons

2. Story line

3. Environment

4. Suspense Quests

<sigh>  I will reiterate this Sandage as you apparently did not read my previous post, there is nothing unique about the Housing system, except the outrageous prices that LoTRO has for housing.  UO was first to have housing, DAoC was the first to have housing instances that were neighborhoods.  Even SWG had housing like UO.  Again, that is nothing unique to LoTRO from other MMORPG's.

But the combination of mini-games and side activities that LoTRO has is unique.  Good job missing his point.  I'm surprised you didn't point out that other MMOs also have dungeons, story lines, and environments.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

1. Dungeons
    99% of all MMO's have these...not different
    2. Story line
    90% of all MMO's have this...not different
    3. Environment
    Can you show me an MMO without environment?
    4. Suspense Quests
    So suspenseful that I actually had fallen asleep once playing...
    Eq2, WoW, GW to name a few with mini-games..Session play is unique...no other game would dare playing a chicken, so quite a bold move on Turbines part..Housing..Not unique, not different, Events are so common on all MMO's ...they have had this feature before LOTRO
    So..Music system and Monster Play...unique...but Music System really does not accomplish anything, and Monster Play is like a closed off game...they could have released Monster Play as it's own game...that would have worked...
    None of these things make LOTRO different...
    Cheers!

The OP did not ask for unique things , but for diffrenses from Lotro between other mmo's

And thats acsacly what i said.

Dugeons are difrent and much better then in all other mmo's im used , Story line is much better then in all other mmo's , and the other things are all better inplented then in other mmo's so thats what makes Lord of the Rings Online difrent from other mmo's not groundbreaking or anything revolutionary, ofcourse all this is only my opinion. If you say that nothing makes it difrent then it would be exsecly the same game.

Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

Originally posted by Yeebo

Originally posted by Vato26

Hello guys

Thank  you  

1. Dungeons

2. Story line

3. Environment

4. Suspense Quests

But the combination of mini-games and side activities that LoTRO has is unique.  Good job missing his point.  I'm surprised you didn't point out that other MMOs also have dungeons, story lines, and environments.

No... the only reason he combined all of them is because he was out of room.  Housing has been proven that it is NOT unique to LoTRO.  If you fail to see that, then you need to remove those rose-colored glasses there and look at reality.  I agree that the music system and monster play are unique additions.  I also say that the world setting is unique as well (lack of high-fantasy magic).

And, despite the snide comment that you posted, the only reason I didn't mention the other points is that I have yet to experience majority of them.  As I said before, what makes this game unique is the fact of its setting (low-fantasy) and the storyline that it is based upon (Tolkien's books).

Originally posted by openedge1

2. Story line
    90% of all MMO's have this...not different
    Except, that LoTRO is based on previous story line from literary works (Tolkien's books).  No other game actually does this.  And, before you say "SWG did is based off of Star Wars", that game was so craptastic, and actually went against the storyline that the game was based on (Jedi as a playable class in a time where the Jedi were almost extinct).
    3. Environment
    Can you show me an MMO without environment?
    What makes the environment of LoTRO unique is the low-fantasy approach that is true to the story line that the game is based upon.  It's refreshing to have a game where mages blast stuff with nuclear magic all the time.  Where melee actually has a purpose rather than being just the meat shield.  High-fantasy has been done to death (WoW, DAoC, D&D, EQ 1&2, etc...).  That is what makes the environment of LoTRO different and unique.
    4. Suspense Quests
    So suspenseful that I actually had fallen asleep once playing...
    I smell comment here.
    Eq2, WoW, GW to name a few with mini-games..Session play is unique...no other game would dare playing a chicken, so quite a bold move on Turbines part..Housing..Not unique, not different, Events are so common on all MMO's ...they have had this feature before LOTRO
    So..Music system and Monster Play...unique...but Music System really does not accomplish anything, and Monster Play is like a closed off game...they could have released Monster Play as it's own game...that would have worked...
    None of these things make LOTRO different...

The OP did not ask for unique things , but for diffrenses from Lotro between other mmo's
    And thats acsacly what i said.
    Dugeons are difrent and much better then in all other mmo's im used , Story line is much better then in all other mmo's , and the other things are all better inplented then in other mmo's so thats what makes Lord of the Rings Online difrent from other mmo's not groundbreaking or anything revolutionary, ofcourse all this is only my opinion. If you say that nothing makes it difrent then it would be exsecly the same game.
    Actually...the OP kinda left this thread wide open to interpretation, just like the posters opinions in this thread..

He never really states what he wants to know is different...so, all assumptions are being made...

LOTRO dungeons are different than Vanguard dungeons which are different than WoW dungeons, etc, etc...

Storyline is different, as no other story is in Middle Earth...

But, in all actuality...LOTRO is not different in the MMO aspect which is what it boils down to...it is quite a copycat, just like most MMO's are

A DIFFERENT MMO is EvE Online...and until some of the other stated "unique" MMO's come out...there will be no difference's...They all treadmill level, the races are similar, they all either have crafting, housing, etc..you grind one thing or another...

And a majority are fantasy of some sort...

So...until the real "different" MMO comes out...all will just be the same

(And Vato26...uh...sorry...that is true..I REALLY fell asleep while killing boars..I kid you not...sorry...but, the poster said suspense...and how can anything be suspenseful when you know the outcome..Frodo makes it to Mordor...duh!)

Cheers!

Well sorry openedge, but i see Mmo's as a genre just like Shooters, Real time Strategy, Race Games,

So all those games inside the Genre are copycats in your eye's.

Ofcourse its no difrent then other Mmo's becouse it is an Mmo, just like Shooters are Shooters, it seems your waiting for some new revolutionary yet to develop Genre instead of a new Mmo...

Well sorry openedge, but i see Mmo's as a genre just like Shooters, Real time Strategy, Race Games,

So all those games inside the Genre are copycats in your eye's.

Ofcourse its no difrent then other Mmo's becouse it is an Mmo, just like Shooters are Shooters, it seems your waiting for some new revolutionary yet to develop Genre instead of a new Mmo...
    Again..I will beg to differ...Mass Effect is an RPG, but brings something unique to the genre with it's conversation system...that is different

The pulse combat system of The Witcher is different, and brings something new to the RPG with an RTS style combat system with rhythm...almost like a real sword fight..

Bioshock brings something new to the Shooter realm with a semi open world...with multiple avenues to complete one objective..

These are "Differences"

And as I stated...Music is used in LOTRO...this is different...but, at the same time...worthless as it brings nothing to overall gameplay..and that is the main item...overall gameplay...what can be changed...

An example is Spellborn with it's rotating skills bar combat system, and unique races, etc..this will be different than most MMO's

So..I am not asking for a whole new "Genre"..I am asking for something unique not in other MMO's...something "different"

Oh...and your sig with the scrips is incorrect...you should fix that sandage

Cheers!

Well if you want that , i dont understand why you started playing Lord of the Rings Online, The devs said thay would go the Safe route and it was clearly advertised as beinig a traditinal mmo, whit casual gameplay and nothing groudbreaking.

Honestly if you don't like the game then don't play it...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Well if you want that , i dont understand why you started playing Lord of the Rings Online, The devs said thay would go the Safe route and it was clearly advertised as beinig a traditinal mmo, whit casual gameplay and nothing groudbreaking.
    That is correct. Reason why it has nothing "Different" as you have stated...

You first say all of the items noted in your post are "different"...yet in the above post, you say it has nothing "ground breaking"...so, I am confused...which is it.

As I said...the music system is unique, and well done...just the fact it is not used for anything is a major disappointment..

And I do not play it...so, I figured the OP would like perspectives from those who play it now, and those who have played it...so, they can get an overall view, instead of a the one sided nature of this particular forum...

Nothing in the MMORPG rules state I have to play the game now to post here...and I have played it, and have given the game many chances...so, I also can state how much this game is the "same" as other MMO's

Cheers!

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

lol.

Don't worry about openedge.  He's just bitter that his game didn't get picked to draw the masses in for Black Friday. 

The current game that he's picked isn't a bad game, (I played it for about 1.5 years) and there are plenty of choices for players to find the game that suits them. 

As to his posting habits... some players just find that unless they are constantly harping on the negatives of other games they don't feel good about the game they are playing, so just look at this forum as being a bit of therapy for him. 

See, even the LoTRo forums are different.  They provide therapy for all. 

• QuinguQuingu Member Posts: 400

1LOTR

2.very unique player music system

3. neighborhoods, with kinship houses, and 2 types of houses

4. monster play

5. deeds, traits and titles

6. Best graphics out there atm

7. first mmo using directx10.

8.fellowship skills.

9. hobbits

10. Balrog

11. Golum

12. Gandalf

Originally posted by openedge1

That is correct. Reason why it has nothing "Different" as you have stated...

You first say all of the items noted in your post are "different"...yet in the above post, you say it has nothing "ground breaking"...so, I am confused...which is it.

{ Mod Edit } a game can be diffrent whitout beinig groundbreaking.

As i posted before, but im getting used to that your not a good reader.

• Loverboy85Loverboy85 Member UncommonPosts: 65

the music thing was done along time ago in star wars galaxies with the entertainer class..

and monster play too in everquest 1.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by Loverboy85

the music thing was done along time ago in star wars galaxies with the entertainer class..
    and monster play too in everquest 1.

Not quite. In SWG, you had "songs" you could play, you weren't given the freedom to actually PLAY the instrument via keyboard keys mapped to individual notes.