Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yeah I'm back in SWG

Ok just thought I would throw this out there to see what kind of response I got. I played SWG from the time it launched to the NGE. Then like many people I got pissed and left, after playing the hell out of City of Hero's I returned to SWG to visit old guild members, also I couldn't find anther MMORPG that I liked. I'm now back and enjoying the game though I do feal dirty. I have this to say about it, the crafting system still bites and I miss the class diversity that it had before, but it's no were near as hard to find stuff to do as it was before, not that there wasn't anything do, its just if you want to jump on for a half hour you can now actually get something done. Also I have do admit the quest in this game are pretty damn cool, I played WoW for two months, blame my RW friends for that, Sony was trying to clone WoW and failed with this exception, the questing in this game is a hell of a lot better than killing Raptors over and over and over. Also the community feel for the game is still there though greatly diminished.

If you reply I don't want to hear how you hate it just give me your thoughts if you have tried it since leaving and coming back to give it a second chance. Also how many people would return if Smeddly were to get fired?

Comments

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Blistermix

Ok just thought I would throw this out there to see what kind of response I got. I played SWG from the time it launched to the NGE. Then like many people I got pissed and left, after playing the hell out of City of Hero's I returned to SWG to visit old guild members, also I couldn't find anther MMORPG that I liked. I'm now back and enjoying the game though I do feal dirty. I have this to say about it, the crafting system still bites and I miss the class diversity that it had before, but it's no were near as hard to find stuff to do as it was before, not that there wasn't anything do, its just if you want to jump on for a half hour you can now actually get something done. Also I have do admit the quest in this game are pretty damn cool, I played WoW for two months, blame my RW friends for that, Sony was trying to clone WoW and failed with this exception, the questing in this game is a hell of a lot better than killing Raptors over and over and over. Also the community feel for the game is still there though greatly diminished.
       If you reply I don't want to hear how you hate it just give me your thoughts if you have tried it since leaving and coming back to give it a second chance. Also how many people would return if Smeddly were to get fired?

I just like to know at what level are you doing the quests if you find them "cool" or "better thank WoW quests"

• BlistermixBlistermix Member Posts: 40

I have two toons, one is a level 90 smuggler, the high end stuff I do with my guild is mostly on Mustifar, also the new chapter 11 stuff like IG 88s mission. My other toon is now a level 21 Spy going through the legacy quest, it's a pretty good story line. They worked Jabba's quest into it, I did that pre NGE wasn't that great, it has improved quite a bit with the NGE revamp.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Blistermix

I have two toons, one is a level 90 smuggler, the high end stuff I do with my guild is mostly on Mustifar, also the new chapter 11 stuff like IG 88s mission. My other toon is now a level 21 Spy going through the legacy quest, it's a pretty good story line. They worked Jabba's quest into it, I did that pre NGE wasn't that great, it has improved quite a bit with the NGE revamp.
    For all I remember it's the same quest line now than it was Pre-CU/NGE

I don't know much about the max level stuff that there is now. Few months back I tried going back and was levelling a commando around 30+(I think) the quests on Naboo "broke" me.. same stupid "go there - clean the same bunker" 17 times in a row and the enemies shooting through walls and floor and I just had it and hit the cancel.

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

when i did legacy it was ...

kill 4 of this type of critter , then 6 more of the bigger version of same critter

then come back

followed by 3-4 fed ex quests

then kill 10 more critters ...

So did they ever update the 100's of quests the NGE broke when it came out ?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• BlistermixBlistermix Member Posts: 40

One that I know of, I haven't bothered with it though. I have had a few kill 10 of these type quest with Legacy not many though, not nearly as many as in WoW at least, maybe I'm just so screwed up but killing 10 of everything on that game that any thing else seems tame. The new collection system can be like that though, some of it's cool, some of it's dumb as grinding.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

I started SWG right after the CU came out with that combo pack The Total Experience. I loved the game, although it was hard to get into and most people were just grinding Bols and Pickets on Dantooine. I mostly loved it because I like how you advanced your character. The skill system was a lot of fun and I liked how easy it was to RP in SWG with the player cities and everything. I also liked how Jedi were done and was busting my chops to unlock it. I took a couple breaks from the grind, so I only made it halfway through the village before the NGE came out. I quit and didn't try the NGE out until the next February.

At that time I respecced my TKM/MFencer to a Jedi and did the quests on Mustafar from 80-90. I thought that planet was poorly made, since traversing it was a pain in the ass. Anyhow, I stuck with it and finally got lvl 90. I crafted my Jinsu perfectly, had the Knights cloak and began PvPing since that was all there was to do. I also got a Banes heart. Every now and then while I was still subbed, I would try for the JMC, but never got it. I quit because PvP got boring, there wasn't really any RPers that RPed the way I did, and there was nothing else to do that I haven't done already.

I returned to the game about a year later, this past March. I decided to start a new Jedi to play through the Legacy quests. I did this on TCP, since the economy wasn't shot on that server, since it just started, plus there still wasn't any RPing guilds that RPed the way I like to RP. This was around the time when Beastmaster was released. I didn't play CH and am not really interested in the pet classes anyways. So BeastMaster wasn't a good patch for me. Anyhow, I hated the Legacy quests, because they were terribly repetitive and boring. Yes they incorporated Jabbas Palace, but it was no different than the first 2 times I did it pre-NGE. Naboo was the worst. Every quest had you running back and forth a 1-2k meters to kill the same types of thugs in their hideouts. Finally I made it to the next planet, which was better, but it still wasn't as good as the quests in WoW. I'd like to note that I hate WoW's quests as well and never made it past lvl 41, since the quests were so boring. So it is saying something when I say SWG's Legacy quests were worse. I was actually excited to finally finish the Legacy quests, but then realized I had only the Kashyyk quests and grinding to look forward to until I was high enough for the Musty quests. I hated all those quests the first time around, so I had no desire to do it again. Especially since I already have a CL 90 Jedi and know how they turn out.

I could have stuck around for the community or for RP, but I found both lacking. Aside from that, I hated the way the Jedi class was done and how there was no class specific content for them. I kept up on the forums and tried to make my voice heard when we were asked by the Senator on how we want Jedi to be improved. It's been about 4 months now since I last canceled and we can all see how the Jedi situation still is. I won't return until Jedi are Jedi again. I could care less about if they are Alpha or not anymore like I used to, I just want them to have the same selection of powers and character customization as they did before and as they do in every Star Wars Jedi game.

Anyhow, the NGE may be better than when it started in Nov. 2005, but it is still crap. I won't waste my money resubbing to SWG until they really fix the game.

Thanks for reading.

P.S.- You asked.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

The Big issue I have with the game's quests is the way that they lead the player through almost all the major ones, that before you only did if that was something you wanted to do with that character. It looses imersion if I have to follow a long drown linear quest line since everyone has to pretty much follow that path. Though even in a free for all quest system, I do realise most people still did the themeparks, however it was nice knowing that some people chose not to do one or two of them for whatever reasons, and I respect their choice.

On the other hand though, I have to admit they have done some decent work with their quests, though they still have a long way to go , and they need to find a way to keep placing more diversity back into the game.

• RykaelRykael Member Posts: 9

I also played from launch to NGE and quit.  I went back once about a year ago, left after a couple months.  Just too boring then, no one left that I knew.  And I'm giving it another go now, just over 3 months in.  I still think it's pretty boring.  I think I only stay because I have no interest in any other games out right now and I've made some new friends which is always cool. 

My real beef with the game as it is now is the severe lack of diversity in classes/professions.  There used to be, what, 30ish?  Now there's 9.  Hello, monotony.  And I'm not real excited about the one path track to level 90.  Legacy quests, then Kashyyyk quests, then Mustafar quests then whatever else.  Basically if you want to level more than one toon in combat you'll just repeat yourself over and over doing the same quests. 

My theory on the lack of community feel is simply that there's not a lot of people left, and those who are left are generally members of SWG's new "target audience."  The majority of the people I knew who played in years past were of the 25+ age group and there weren't a whole lot of kids playing, in my experience.  That has changed.

The game is still ok.  It has it's good points and bad.  I doubt I'll stick around for too long though, I'm already bored of it.  There just isn't enough to do that I haven't already done and the new stuff is really not that interesting.  In fact, most of it exists in other games (ie: collections & heroic encounters straight out of EQ2). 

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

Glad you are having a good time. I left for 6 months after the NGE, came back once or twice for a few months at  a time only to fond thing pretty much as the were (post) with bells and whistles. The quests were nice, but after you've done them, you've done them. I prefered the previous system when they were spread out and not tied together. WoW has different group of quests for each race and faction, SWG basically made everyone do the same thing, which really didn't lead me to much replayability. Other than RoTW, which in my opinion was the greatest quest based game I have yet to play in MMO space, questing was never the point for me in SWG. Once I did "legacy" once, I would rather die than run them again...

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

Oh yeah, you went back...you scum you...

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Still the same ol crap TBH. One may find something to keep them busy for a month or so, but you end up leaving again. Even if you can get past the flawed combat system honestly a person could return to the game once a year and not miss a thing because they don't add enough to keep you buisier than a 2 weeks to a month at a time. They removed the things the vets liked about the game so that's a no go. It's all about the quests now.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

You said the community diminished. When I went back a while back there was no one in sight. It was difficult to meet new people. Is it still like this? because if I can not get a group at low level and meet new people i'm better off playing a single player game.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

If you enjoy it, good for you

MMO gaming is about YOUR experience not other peoples opinions of your experience.

Have fun.

I've been back and forth a few times. I really don't stick it to long mainly because its just played out.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

There is a LOT of angry sentiment against SOE and the Devs for what happened to SWG. I wager there is not a lot of people who want to come back to SWG (or any SOE product) because they are so invested in complaining about what happened.

Torrential

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

i went back once about a year ago, and found it pretty bland. right now i'm playing AO and i'm pretty happy with it but i'd REALLY like to be able to have a useful pet in a game again, it seems to give another "purpose" for me to play. SWG had the absolute best pet system of any game i've played, and the beast master skills they added have me very curious, i've considered resubbing to check it out, but meh.. it's just so sad to see the world left as the shell it once was.

i should be ashamed.

• ThalosVipavThalosVipav Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by xxthecorexx

i went back once about a year ago, and found it pretty bland. right now i'm playing AO and i'm pretty happy with it but i'd REALLY like to be able to have a useful pet in a game again, it seems to give another "purpose" for me to play. SWG had the absolute best pet system of any game i've played, and the beast master skills they added have me very curious, i've considered resubbing to check it out, but meh.. it's just so sad to see the world left as the shell it once was.
    i should be ashamed.

BM is nothing like CH was. If thats the reason you were thinking of resubbing, my advice, dont.

I went back here and there, just recently quit again out of bordom. Nothing exciting about the game anymore, nothing to get me wanting to log in. Not like it use to be.

Thalos Vipav
    Star Wars Galaxies: R.I.P.

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

Originally posted by ThalosVipav

BM is nothing like CH was. If thats the reason you were thinking of resubbing, my advice, dont.

thanks appreciate that. every once in a while i need a little reality check.

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

Sounds like there might be some decent quests, but since I don't like questing, there probably isn't much there I would like. Back to waiting on Warhammer.

MMORPG Maker

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

I'm playing it too.  I tested it forever, and didn't enjoy it (ducks).  Now trying it again (I have a SOE all access pass), I'm enjoying it.  I don't know if that's because the game changed so much, I changed, or both.

I will say this though: the game has become much more accessible (noob friendly) since the NGE patch.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I dont know how anyone can say the quests are better in SWG than they are in wow. They are pretty much the same. Kill X number of mobs until this drops. Kill X number of mobs just because. Go in to cave X and touch (activate) this.. in the process you will still kill X number of mobs. Mob X and Mob Y make look exactly the same but one is a poacher and one is a thief you will need to kill X number of both of them and of course you cant forget the prerequisite quest chain to enter an instance. It is a carbon copy of WoW's and just about every other MMOs questing system. So instead of killing raptors you kill meatlumps.I don't see a lot of difference.

Honestly the entire leveling process really needs a revamp.Atleast from the end of the legacy chain. There was a quest chain I ran in to that started at  around 35 and stayed that way for about 2 or 3 missions then it jumped to 65 - 70 maybe even higher elites for one part and then back down to 35. I believe it was the chain to get the webweaver blanket. That just doesnt make any sense to me.

When I first came back I was level 80 and figured I could level to 90 on Mustafar. That didnt happen. I think I got to 83 maybe 84. I did the Azure chain after that. Azure got me to around 85-86. After Azure I just hit the mission terminals. I think the missison terminals were faster xp than the quests.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I agree GreenHell.

And I'd also like to add (I have also mentioned this in other threads) that there desperately needs a quest system for non-combat classes. The old village had an amazing medical crafting quest where you were given a patients symptoms, and through the experimentation phase you manipulated the item until you had a cure for those symptoms.

It was very immersive, and allowed for an alternative to simply producing massive amounts of items that were not of use to the community in general.

This crafting quest system could easily have been used as a template for other crafting professions. As always it's terribly unfortunete that something with this much potential was left neglected and unused.

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

I agree, i also enjoy the quests in SWG and think they're better than warcraft quests, I like the way it slowly builds a story-line.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• TheDonTunkeeTheDonTunkee Member Posts: 3

hey guys just joined the forum and started reading this thread

i also played when the game was first released

and man it is nothing like it used to be

i cant stand the constant questing and the combat system is STILL laggy

ill play it until i get sick of it again

When in rome we do as the romans

In hell we take shots at the bar

• ekicekic Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by TheDonTunkee

hey guys just joined the forum and started reading this thread