Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My new computer build (under $500) opinions please

xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

So Im building a new computer, My budget is $500 for the core Tower. Heres whats in it:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz Windsor Core Socket AM2

2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800mhz Team Elite RAM

MSI nVidia GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo 256mb 620/1600mhz

250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 S-ATA 3Gb/s

MSI K9N Neo V3 nVidia nForce 560 CMP socket AM2

ASUS CD/DVD Burner/Reader SATA interface

Logisys Area 51 Black ATX Mid Tower

ThermalTake TR2 430watt ATX PSU

Comments

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by xpyrofuryx

So Im building a new computer, My budget is $500 for the core Tower. Heres whats in it:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz Windsor Core Socket AM2
    2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800mhz Team Elite RAM
    MSI nVidia GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo 256mb 620/1600mhz
    250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 S-ATA 3Gb/s
    MSI K9N Neo V3 nVidia nForce 560 CMP socket AM2
    ASUS CD/DVD Burner/Reader SATA interface
    Logisys Area 51 Black ATX Mid Tower
    ThermalTake TR2 430watt ATX PSU

Instead of that take Radeon HD 3850. Should be around the same price range

www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx (Some tests to backup why)

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Ditto. Get the HD3850, it will crush the 8600.

**EDIT** Well, it wont crush it. Barely beats it.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

You should save up $20 more dollars and get a 500gb hard drive. I believe they are 100 or less.

I also agree with getting the new ati card.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I wouldn't bother with ATI.  nVidea's are more popular and therefore game devs bend towards favoring them and nVidea is worried about stability instead of maxibility(at the sacrifice of compatibility).  and nVidea cares enough about their customers to release working linux drivers.

I've never had a problem with a nVidea card while my ATI card was pretty much a lemon and a pain to setup.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• someguy99someguy99 Member Posts: 12

The 8500's and 8600's are pure garbage:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2186&page=9

See if you can get an older card that was high end.  Like a 1950 or 7900 series for cheap off ebay.  They're way better than this card and ppl are pry dumping them for less.

Here's a 7900GS on ebay for 105 bucks shipped.  33% faster than 8600GT Twin Turbo in DX9.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PNY-nvidia-7900-GS_W0QQitemZ320180623003QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually- if you have to have a DX10 card- I'd suggest saving up for an 8800GT.  They're like 260-280 dollars right now but most of that is gouging becuause they just came out and supply is tight.  If you get one of these low end DX10 ATI or Nvidia cards you're gonna regret it when you buy your first DX10 game and find you can get like 40 fps at best with everything on low at at 1024 x 768.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by paulscott

I wouldn't bother with ATI.  nVidea's are more popular and therefore game devs bend towards favoring them and nVidea is worried about stability instead of maxibility(at the sacrifice of compatibility).  and nVidea cares enough about their customers to release working linux drivers.
    I've never had a problem with a nVidea card while my ATI card was pretty much a lemon and a pain to setup.

www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx

Owned?

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by paulscott

So he should not bother with ATi because NVIDIA is allegedly more popular? Thats probably the most bogus remark ive ever heard. He should also not bother using or buying plastic products because gold and diamond is more popular also right?

"Devs bend towards" is also another assumption. Its a matter of personal preference to be honest. Plus xpyro knows enough about computers to realize all this, all he wants is opinions here.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett