Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion a Sandbox?

EnkmarEnkmar Member Posts: 46

Pretty direct question. Based on what we know, will Aion be a sandbox? I've just recently started looking into this game. I've noticed there will be housing, not at release, but at some point.

So... will Aion be a sandbox type game?

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

technical speaking every MMORPG is a sandbox, any game you would like to use as an example?

• jay8378jay8378 Member UncommonPosts: 124

Originally posted by Gameloading

technical speaking every MMORPG is a sandbox, any game you would like to use as an example?

Swg was more of a sandbox now its about 2/3 sandbox. Darkfall will be a sandbox game. Roma victor is a sandbox game. Eve online is a sandbox game. Most of the games out now are not sandbox.

Sandbox means you get in you are given sand to shape the virtual world. unlike WoW type clones where everythings pretty much linear.

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Although this is speculation, considering most games that have come out of that area of the world, I would expect nothing more than your standard linear sort of gameplay.  Think in terms of Lineage, WoW or EQ.  Though this is just speculation.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

No, it will not be a sandbox game, unless you consider end game a sandbox as it's mostly faction vs faction competition.  It has story based quests and a linear mission system that will take your character from one region to another as you progress.

It's like EQ2, FFXI, WoW ect..

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• EnkmarEnkmar Member Posts: 46

Thanks for the responses!

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I was just thinking, not sure if OP will read this again, but even though the leveling progression is linear, end game is not!!

If you played Ryzom and liked the PvP you might enjoy Aion's end game as it has similarities. In Ryzom there's outposts you can win and have to defend that give you resources,  good crafting materials and leveling XP thingies (<3 those! :D). In Aion once you reach the Abyss (around mid level, so 30ish or so) you can fight to win a castle and will have to defend it. The castle will have access to better leveling grounds, better crafting materials and resident NPC's will sell you cool stuff ^_^

So I guess the answer is that it's semi linear and semi sandbox, the end game is very open ended that's for sure ^^

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• EnkmarEnkmar Member Posts: 46

Aye, I prefer sandbox games but I don't limit myself. Right now I'm watching all games on the horizon and I'll try everything that comes out until I settle down into one of them.