Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People have been spamming this lately, and I think they should know...

gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Ok, on the two shards that I play (discluding Siege, havent seen this on Siege) including Test Sosaria and the temporary test shards I have seen animals named "EAonlycaresaboutmoney" (EA only cares about money for the stupid ones) and people spamming "UO IS ALL ABOUT THE COMPANY GETTING MONEY"
No shit? Did you go through any research to find this out? Of course its about money. The whole making of a game is about money. Maybe you should restate your phraise (here is one I thought up myself.

EA games is trying to make money by raising the monthly fee when instead they should be changing the gameplay to help the company get money.

That means so much more. And if your a spammer, I'd like you to know that if UO wasnt about making money, the company would sure not give a damn about anything you do.

Ultima Online- Apoc
Final Fantasy XI Online- Nabara
World of Warcraft- (Coming soon :P)

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Comments

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

Sure it's all about the money, but they certainly aren't working hard to please their playerbase. Ubi/Wolfpack seem to be doing all they can to please what little subscribers to Shadowbane they have left, they are releasing fixes and improvements constantly, and adding new content in between. They listen to their players because they know they're what keeps them in business.

EA, on the other hand, has come in and taken a very unique and established game., that was definetely not a failure. Instead of trying to keep people who truly enjoyed the game, and appealing to roleplayers and people who were actually interested in the storyline, they are appealing to the k3wl d00dz. AOS turned the game into Diablo II, it's all about the magic armor and uber jewelry. It also has all the hardcore rare collectors camping item spawns in Malas with scripts turned on so they can get the artifacts, which severely imbalance PvP. All of this is obvious, but there's a point I'm trying to make.

Rather than working hard to keep long-time players interested in what UO used to be, they are trying to absorb fans of Diablo II and EQ into the game so as to make more money. Instead of putting out new, original content, they are giving rare collectors new items to feast on. By raising the monthly fee they are milking all the money they can from their subscribers. Sure some people will quit because of it, but they would still make more money from it overall. Shadowbane would never even consider raising their monthly fee, they can't afford to lose any players. They can hardly afford to go against what their players demand at all, and in my opinion that's how an MMORPG should be. The effect money has on an MMORPG isn't always destructive.. it can go both ways.

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194
    i just got 5500 Daemon scrolls from an idoc lol

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by Skael

Sure it's all about the money, but they certainly aren't working hard to please their playerbase. Ubi/Wolfpack seem to be doing all they can to please what little subscribers to Shadowbane they have left, they are releasing fixes and improvements constantly, and adding new content in between. They listen to their players because they know they're what keeps them in business.
    EA, on the other hand, has come in and taken a very unique and established game., that was definetely not a failure. Instead of trying to keep people who truly enjoyed the game, and appealing to roleplayers and people who were actually interested in the storyline, they are appealing to the k3wl d00dz. AOS turned the game into Diablo II, it's all about the magic armor and uber jewelry. It also has all the hardcore rare collectors camping item spawns in Malas with scripts turned on so they can get the artifacts, which severely imbalance PvP. All of this is obvious, but there's a point I'm trying to make.
    Rather than working hard to keep long-time players interested in what UO used to be, they are trying to absorb fans of Diablo II and EQ into the game so as to make more money. Instead of putting out new, original content, they are giving rare collectors new items to feast on. By raising the monthly fee they are milking all the money they can from their subscribers. Sure some people will quit because of it, but they would still make more money from it overall. Shadowbane would never even consider raising their monthly fee, they can't afford to lose any players. They can hardly afford to go against what their players demand at all, and in my opinion that's how an MMORPG should be. The effect money has on an MMORPG isn't always destructive.. it can go both ways.

image I love you Skael! image

-Sir Sven

•  EA has lost roughly 30 million total from investing in 2 vaporware MMORPGs - UO2 and UXO.

They are trying to milk even more money from UO in order to recoup their losses, which were really the result of gross missmanagement.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    =========================
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• doubleplusdoubleplus Member Posts: 22

I was wondering wher eyou got those numbers. I could see UO2 costing them a lot but UXO barely got out the chute before being cancelled. I think EA is primarily concerned with money nowadays. The game isnt even ultima anymore, its d2 with a persestant world. I wish theyd just rename it ultimate online or something so it can stop tarnishing the name of a great franchize....

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115
    Just out of the chute? If I'm not mistaken, the game was to be released in September. Still, UO2 was in development for a much longer time and more money was spent on making all the animations and stuff perfect.

• beheaderbeheader Member Posts: 25

Hi guys/gals,

I played UO for probably a total of a month in two satints. One in the old days and one after the EA purchase.

I didn't like the game- it's not my speed. But it is nontheless a great game... and part of history.

My comment is this:

Basically anything associated with EA is probably going to fail based on their track record. Most of the big-name MMOs out there are still going strong. But EA has closed Motor City Madness and Earth and Beyond. More than likely they only keep the Sims Online running for "show" because they projected millions of subscribers and fell very short of the prediction.

Now there's that new UO coming out or in development... sorry the name excapes me. But they moved developers from Earth and Beyond over to the new UO. That would scare me because these guys were doing an MMO space sim which failed, and are now working on UO.

I've kinda come to abserve that the greatest games are usually produced by small game houses (like Origin) and are the manefestation of a "vision" of what a great game should be. Corporations, like EA, are ill prepared to produce a game with any grit to it because well they probably get their ideas from focus groups and the like. Focus groups are not gamers, and quite frankly I fear that any future MMO from EA is going to cater to the "lowest common denominator".

That... is sad. Because the UO concept was excellent (even though I didn;t like the game). Just because I didn;t like it doesn't mean it wasn't great.

I mean in the original UO couldn't you do things like have sex with people and stuff? Not that I'd suggest letting kinds in on that kind of gameplay, but that certainly was gritty for *any* game let alone the first graphical MUD called Ultima Online.

--
    Admin
    http://www.aswp.net

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

EA doesn't have the stomach for any game with more than a year development time....  which pretty much explains the series of abortive MMORPGs coming from them.  I wonder how long they can continue to prop UO up..... most likely they'll shoehorn UXO's art into UO just like they did for UO2. 

It's so sad to see this once-great franchise languishing like this. image  Here's hoping EA someday decides to sell the Ultima license like Interplay did with Fallout.