Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gods and Heroes interview also talks about SWG and NGE

http://www.lgrnexus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=1

What are your thoughts on SOE (Sony Online Entertainment)?

I could write a book on this, and anybody who knows me or has read my editorials would expect me to write some scathing, angry piece here.

Let me share this. I was a hardcore Star Wars Galaxies player, “was” being the key word. I stopped playing that game about two years ago, a few weeks after the Trials of Obi-wan expansion came out. I’m sure you all can guess why I stopped playing.

SOE was Gods & Heroes publisher and partner and in my time spent there I learned a lot about the nature of the business and about SOE. I think they are a wonderful company who really wants to make great games. They have the experience and business sense to know what really is best for the games under their belt.

So yes, I still am bitter and want my old Star Wars Galaxies back, however I know that if SOE didn’t do what they did, we might not even have a Star Wars Galaxies today. They have learned from what happened in the past and I think we see that happening with Vanguard today. Vanguard has improved ten fold since SOE came into the picture and I see them really working hard to support that game,

Nasedoo: You said traders would get a revamp under my supervision.

Darth Lord Blixtev: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

thats actually very very intriguing

• feldrinfeldrin Member UncommonPosts: 210

The guy is just hoping to get another job. He's not going to say anything bad about SOE he may have to work for them.lol

As for as if SOE had not done the NGE there may not have been a SWG right now, that's pure BS. IF the game survives with the current number of players it could have survived with the number of players it had pre-nge. There's no question that SWG is better today than when the NGE first hit but based on the current number of players now verses just before the NGE, it's safe to say that most people do not think the game today is as good as pre-nge.

I don't claim to be right, I'm just posting.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I think they are a wonderful company who really wants to make great games. They have the experience and business sense to know what really is best for the games under their belt. 

Sure, if they only want to stick to the current MMO model of levels and loot.

Where's the innovation to carry the genre forward from this stagnation?

Perhaps The Agency may work for SOE but I personally don't believe that innovation is a new billing process of paying for items and content.

• miffywiffymiffywiffy Member Posts: 245

I'm sure they do want to create good games but good games cost time and money and SOE give it money but not time like Blizzard gave WOW time, instead they rush every release. Also we would have a SWG today if they did that CURB thing everyone was talking about instead of the CU.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by Nasedoo

http://www.lgrnexus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=1

Let me share this. I was a hardcore Star Wars Galaxies player, “was” being the key word. I stopped playing that game about two years ago, a few weeks after the Trials of Obi-wan expansion came out. I’m sure you all can guess why I stopped playing.

pretty straight point , he dislikes the NGE and  don't bother to come back to play that crap.

we feel your sadness and anger about bro and know exactly what you mean.

They destroyed Star Wars and every other promising game they got their ackwardly  hand on and host except their own thing EQ.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

So yes, I still am bitter and want my old Star Wars Galaxies back, however I know that if SOE didn’t do what they did, we might not even have a Star Wars Galaxies today.
    Umm... what the hell? How would there not be a SWG today if before the NGE 250-300K players existed compared to NGE's noticable playerbase loss?

The original EQ is SOE's only real success and today's SOE team/management aren't the same guys that maintained and launched EQ 10 years ago so I don't count that in. All other games seems to drop very early after release, I used to love PlanetSide until their devs started to get stupid with the game and breaking things that didn't need fixing in the first place.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by sookster54

So yes, I still am bitter and want my old Star Wars Galaxies back, however I know that if SOE didn’t do what they did, we might not even have a Star Wars Galaxies today.
    Umm... what the hell? How would there not be a SWG today if before the NGE 250-300K players existed compared to NGE's noticable playerbase loss?

The original EQ is SOE's only real success and today's SOE team/management aren't the same guys that maintained and launched EQ 10 years ago so I don't count that in. All other games seems to drop very early after release, I used to love PlanetSide until their devs started to get stupid with the game and breaking things that didn't need fixing in the first place.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Why wouldn't there have been an SWG today? That was a pretty bold statement on his part but he doesn't say anything about why he would think that.

• miffywiffymiffywiffy Member Posts: 245

Originally posted by Suvroc

Why wouldn't there have been an SWG today? That was a pretty bold statement on his part but he doesn't say anything about why he would think that.

Maybe he ment Lucas Arts woulda taken the license away because the previous game wasn't star warsy enough

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Just curious how long are you guy's gonna hang onto those 200/300k subs, trust me from being there and you need to know this aswell SWG was already going downhill even before JTL hit. You know that, i know that , so why hold on to those 200/300k people, which to me is still incridible low for such a IP STar Wars is. But then again it fits this misleading character people have trying to pretend that SWG was doing geat back then but if we are honost we all know it was NOT DOING OKAY...even though allot of us LOVED pre-cu SWG including me.

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Originally posted by Reklaw

Just curious how long are you guy's gonna hang onto those 200/300k subs, trust me from being there and you need to know this aswell SWG was already going downhill even before JTL hit. You know that, i know that , so why hold on to those 200/300k people, which to me is still incridible low for such a IP STar Wars is. But then again it fits this misleading character people have trying to pretend that SWG was doing geat back then but if we are honost we all know it was NOT DOING OKAY...even though allot of us LOVED pre-cu SWG including me.

ummm... because it's true??? I was there pre-CU (but not the beginning, when they first instituted the village) and the populations was booming, there were times I HAD to avoid Coronet because I knew my PC would lag from that many players in the star port/cantina, Theed was no different, a lot of planets were well populated with players. If the population was going downhill, it was doing so at a crawl. Yes, I do agree with you that, for a SW IP it should've been at the millions not thousands.

That being said, pulling off the CU and the NGE the way they did it was very unethical from a business stand point, yes it's their game they can do whatever they want, but just because they CAN do it, doesn't mean they SHOULD'VE done it. SWG was in a much healthier state back then than it is now, I should know considering I've played Pre CU, CU, NGE and what the SOE fanbois love to call "Post NGE" up to chapter 4(which by the way is an oxymoron considering the changes don't justify it having a new name) and I know for a fact that it is still nowhere near what SWG was.

• dokardokar Member Posts: 52

sorry 200-300k was good numbers for a MMO pre-WOW.

WOW envy played the biggest role...the CURB dropped and replaced with the CU and just as people started to get over the CU and began trickling back into the game we get hit with the NGE....WOW envy was the biggest player in what happened.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

So yes, I still am bitter and want my old Star Wars Galaxies back, however I know that if SOE didn’t do what they did, we might not even have a Star Wars Galaxies today. They have learned from what happened in the past and I think we see that happening with Vanguard today. Vanguard has improved ten fold since SOE came into the picture and I see them really working hard to support that game,

''Microsoft had wanted to launch this thing in July of 2006,'' Mr. Smedley said. ''We felt like the game needed more time, and we have given it more time, but at some point enough is enough, and we have to ship the game and start generating revenue.''

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0CE3DD103FF932A25751C0A9619C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=3

I am not so sure they have really learned.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Bane82

ummm... because it's true??? I was there pre-CU (but not the beginning, when they first instituted the village) and the populations was booming, there were times I HAD to avoid Coronet because I knew my PC would lag from that many players in the star port/cantina, Theed was no different, a lot of planets were well populated with players. If the population was going downhill, it was doing so at a crawl. Yes, I do agree with you that, for a SW IP it should've been at the millions not thousands.

That being said, pulling off the CU and the NGE the way they did it was very unethical from a business stand point, yes it's their game they can do whatever they want, but just because they CAN do it, doesn't mean they SHOULD'VE done it. SWG was in a much healthier state back then than it is now, I should know considering I've played Pre CU, CU, NGE and what the SOE fanbois love to call "Post NGE" up to chapter 4(which by the way is an oxymoron considering the changes don't justify it having a new name) and I know for a fact that it is still nowhere near what SWG was.

Thats the thing I NEVER EVER said current SWG is near or close to what pre-cu was. I always said i love pre-cu SWG more, but always i've been seen like some pro-NGE fanboy, as many people always love to discredit anyone slightly positive about the current game. Not playing it anymore as i had my fun the 8 months i returned, simply don't have the time for it plus i only enjoyed the crafting part when i returned. But it was certainly very VERY different then when NGE hit as that was simply plain aweful as that made me really quite back then.

Tried the game many times in between never liked it untill i started fresh new account, new characters, letting go of the past and trying to fit into the new, addepting , and it got me those 8 months of fun again. Not in any way or form the fun i had pre-cu, but i geuss it doesn't matter what i say about the current game i have enjoye'd for 8 months as for some it might need ot be a game to play for years to come. To tell you the truth i now i'm sort of happy that the things happend with sWG as they did as i was totaly consumed by the game and spend FAR to much time in pre-cu. But thats just personal.

Afcourse i would have loved to see all of you still enjoy the game as like they should have fixed what was broken, but even then i consider the game for its IP it was holding a failure, regardless if people say "oh for that time it was a good ammount of numbers, sure for just a mmo with a unknow name it might have been but for a game carrying the name Star Wars it should have been a awesome succes. And to me those 200/300k subs don't smell succesfull at all for such IP. And yes i remember the chat channels , the complaints about CORROLAG, i know i know, but i also know it was dropping due to the bad performance people where getting, due to the fact people complained allot on forums about to much reading in the game, to much grind in the game, jedi being to hard, no problem for me i loved the reading i loved the exploring of the skilltree's, but unfortuanly just like these day's the complaints where louder then those who where having fun.

Thought we who did have fun did post our constructive critizism about the state of hte game back then. But hey we saw the change and we all know the change was wat the unconstructive complainers asked about, we where to busy enjoying/playing the game and unfortunaly we are the nichy of hte nichy, see a example of how many ex SWG players enjoy EVE now tell me that isn't a nichy type of game, i might have liked it if there i could be more then a little avatar icon and would have actualy a character to play instead of a space ship so hope to give hte game another go when the characters get into EVE, that is if it's more hten just walk around and actualy has or will have gameplay option with it.

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Vanguard has improved ten fold since SOE came into the picture and I see them really working hard to support that game,

There is only one thing I wanted to comment on, and this was the only portion.  SOE has indeed made Vanguard a much better game.... but in a very specific way.  Vanguard on its own (ideas, spheres, open world, etc.) was conceptualized by Sigil alone.  Now Sigil failed in their execution, leaving the game to the hands of SOE.  With that said, the only thing I have seen SOE really contribute to Vanguard would be the fixing previous in game issues.  Things such as quest bugs, and optimizing the world engine, and tweaking the classes and smaller components of gameplay.   SOE is just making Vanguard playable, they're not really making Vanguard itself.  SOE has really done very little to adding or expanding upon Vanguard within the context of its original design.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed myself the fruits of their work.  Vanguard is a much better game to play simply because of the optimizations and stability.  Now this is where I start to lose faith in their direction.  Slowly, SOE has implemented little adjustments to Vanguard, that for me has got me thinking twice about playing.  Anyone know what  BOE + BOP (Bind on Equip/Pickup) is?  I do, its just one of my own most hated feature coming from EQ2 (possibly from others but EQ2 is the first game I've played with it).  Later we also heard about the office consolidation, and some devs not making their way out to their main offices.  Also heard about development for diplomacy being put on hold as well because they are shifting resources to more "pressing" issues.  This along with other elements to make the game easier, more EQ'ish. 

I dunno SOE has done wonders in terms of making it playable, I just wonder after they've made their optimizations... what will Vanguard really turn into when all is said and done.  How does this rant apply to SWG.. well you know what I don't think it does, but it does have something to do with SOE.  Sorry.

sorry 200-300k was good numbers for a MMO pre-WOW.
    WOW envy played the biggest role...the CURB dropped and replaced with the CU and just as people started to get over the CU and began trickling back into the game we get hit with the NGE....WOW envy was the biggest player in what happened.

Hey Dokar, would you happen to have a link as to what they were going to do with the CURB? I don't remember much about it other than it was supposed to be a heck of a lot better than CU/NGE put together and that it was what the players had asked for in the first place. But I don't remember where to find it.

I also agree with you. Envy is a horrible sin to suffer. It clouds your vision. If SOE had stayed true to SWG's vision and not worried about other companies' successes, they would've done a heck of a lot better. I'm a big proponent of not copying off other people just because "well they're succesful, so we'll be succesful too!" This doesn't even work when cheating in high school tests for god's sake! what if you end up cheating off the dunce kid? (not that I'm saying WoW is the Dunce kid, that's not my point) what I'm simply saying is, you're better off trusting your own instincts, and your own ideas, why? because you created them and therefore you udnerstand them and you understand how to go about it. When you decide to copy the idea off another company (Blizzard) you will never do so succesfully, why? it's not your idea, it's foreign and you don't know how to approach it succesfully.

Remember how people were always saying Vangard or LOTRO was going to beat WoW? have they? not really, not in terms of subscriptions at least and one of the fundamental flaws for this (IMO anyway) is because, again, they're trying to copy off of WoW, a foreign vision/idea, a foreign plan. That's why we end up with more of the same implistic games. When SOE starts making decisions based on their vision we might start seeing some improvements.

SWG had a great idea, a great vision... forget the levels, make them get exp for skill trees instead. Let entertainers, medics and crafters in the game actually play a role outside of combat, why stay in combat mode all the time? let players actually have a place to call home, and have it be on the map itself, so that way they can create their own world as they see fit. But when it strayed from that vision into "fast paced" and "star warsy" and "iconic" it all started going down hill.

Originally posted by Bane82  

Thats the thing I NEVER EVER said current SWG is near or close to what pre-cu was. I always said i love pre-cu SWG more, but always i've been seen like some pro-NGE fanboy, as many people always love to discredit anyone slightly positive about the current game. Not playing it anymore as i had my fun the 8 months i returned, simply don't have the time for it plus i only enjoyed the crafting part when i returned. But it was certainly very VERY different then when NGE hit as that was simply plain aweful as that made me really quite back then. Tried the game many times in between never liked it untill i started fresh new account, new characters, letting go of the past and trying to fit into the new, addepting , and it got me those 8 months of fun again. Not in any way or form the fun i had pre-cu, but i geuss it doesn't matter what i say about the current game i have enjoye'd for 8 months as for some it might need ot be a game to play for years to come. To tell you the truth i now i'm sort of happy that the things happend with sWG as they did as i was totaly consumed by the game and spend FAR to much time in pre-cu. But thats just personal. Afcourse i would have loved to see all of you still enjoy the game as like they should have fixed what was broken, but even then i consider the game for its IP it was holding a failure, regardless if people say "oh for that time it was a good ammount of numbers, sure for just a mmo with a unknow name it might have been but for a game carrying the name Star Wars it should have been a awesome succes. And to me those 200/300k subs don't smell succesfull at all for such IP. And yes i remember the chat channels , the complaints about CORROLAG, i know i know, but i also know it was dropping due to the bad performance people where getting, due to the fact people complained allot on forums about to much reading in the game, to much grind in the game, jedi being to hard, no problem for me i loved the reading i loved the exploring of the skilltree's, but unfortuanly just like these day's the complaints where louder then those who where having fun. Thought we who did have fun did post our constructive critizism about the state of hte game back then. But hey we saw the change and we all know the change was wat the unconstructive complainers asked about, we where to busy enjoying/playing the game and unfortunaly we are the nichy of hte nichy, see a example of how many ex SWG players enjoy EVE now tell me that isn't a nichy type of game, i might have liked it if there i could be more then a little avatar icon and would have actualy a character to play instead of a space ship so hope to give hte game another go when the characters get into EVE, that is if it's more hten just walk around and actualy has or will have gameplay option with it.

If you expect people to read that block of text (or in this case, me) at least have the decency to separate the paragraphs instead of putting a block of text.

• DinajaDinaja Member Posts: 13

Short of SOE trashing the servers or LA pulling the license and not allowing the game to function there would still be a SWG today. There are a lot of players that would jump on a Pre-CU SWG game being released again.

There is no MMO out there right now that allows the choices and player made content that SWG did. SWG would never have been a big game like WoW is but thats because the instant gratification junkies that pollute WoW wouldnt have been sated by SWG. I could however see SWG retaining its 2-300k subscribers as opposed to losing more than half that.

Actually I would rather SWG be pushed back to before jedi tbqh.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by miffywiffy

Originally posted by Suvroc

Maybe he ment Lucas Arts woulda taken the license away because the previous game wasn't star warsy enough

You can read a lot of things into what he said.. since there isn't any real clarity given.

You could think he just wants a job at SOE..

It could be that.. if as he says SOE knows so much... that they ruined SWG based on what LEC wanted.. and if they hadn't the game would have been shut down...

I mean if as he says they are so smart.. why did they give up 90% of the player base they had left.  Why would the game still exist now with so few players.. as opposed to the day before the NGE...

Yes you can really being to wonder wtf he is talking about.

As to the person asking why people hang on to the 250k to 300k sub number... WTF game are you claiming to have played?  That was dying or at least mention your server...

I took just over a month off from SWG to play WoW when it launched.. I was gone about 6 weeks.

Just before that time Starsider (my server) had lost some players .. enough so you could notice.  When I came back after 6 weeks (and two max level toons in wow).  Starsider was so freakin packed it was crazy... 100's of players in Theed and Coronet alone.. (yes buff lines).

The player cities my BE dealt with had full cantinas with people bs'ing.. and I was making so many credits a week selling pets and pet stims..

Yet the server was really dead... and all those people I played with didn't exist... oooo k..

Perhaps there was some server.. that had a population issue.. but it wasn't the one i played on.  In fact.. it was busier than it was the first 3 months the game was live.. (on starsider).

When the CU hit.. ya then we had population problems.. and the NGE just finished that off.

So don't try to pull this "game was dying" bs... yes Smedley can be quoted.. you can also realize that the numbers he quotes weren't the current month.. he was looking at something that was happening at the same time as WoW's launch.

When the CU hit... they saw the numbers for the previous 3 months... big mystery there.

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

Man, the fountains over at PE's studios must be overflowing with kool-aid.....cause this guy drank a whole bunch.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

"So yes, I still am bitter and want my old Star Wars Galaxies back, however I know that if SOE didn’t do what they did, we might not even have a Star Wars Galaxies today."

That's the party line that was in Smed's appeal to the community when everyone was leaving the game because of the NGE.  The alleged "truth" as Smed saw it then was the they had to break the game mechanics, delete everyone's progress, mislead people about the new expansion, remove professions, pets, camps, buffs, etc. etc. etc.  to save the game...

That's the kind of logic that gets you a very unhappy consumer base and a public relations disaster.  If people can't see that for what it is, I really don't know what to say.

Did they need to do something to address a population decline?  Yes.  Did it have to be the NGE?  Absolutely not.

What would have made the game more fun and playable?  Imo:

-fixing irritating bugs,

-addressing some balance issues highlighted with specific attacks and super powered buffs,

-have missions more interesting than go to a flag and kill a bunch of guys standing next to it.

That would have made A LOT of people happy, and no one would have lost progress, professions, pets, camps, special weapons, vet rewards or felt lied to about an expansion.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i am reading it the same as the other poster, i think swg would have shut its doors due to la pulling the engine/license/etc...and soe had to come up with something quick to save the game

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

One of my clearest memories of SWG was just after the release of EQ2/WOW the game as a whole was empty now no doubt you'll disagree and say it was heaving with millions of players  but i dont remember it that way the game was on its arse it was simple as that something HAD to be done just to save the game.

Now its obvious the then devs had played an awful lot of resident evil 4 to come up with the NGE (think about it the aiming system) and had after a few drinks decided that was the way to go now we all know it was a massivly and deeply flawed choice to go that way the CU may have worked if given time but as a buisness choice they didnt have the time WOW was pulling players in from far and wide and SWG couldnt hope to keep up so after a few more rounds of resi evil 4 they went the NGE route.

Now you all may hate it (i do its crap) but one thing you have to give SOE a little bit of credit for was trying to do something with the game they tried twice and failed and so its going down the crapper big time but ultimetly is this such a bad thing?

i dont think so the game inits original state was a shocker full of bugs lack of content stuff we know about but chose to ignore in order to play a game set in the star wars universe now i can hear the cries of ohh it was a sandbox/freeform/ect game i want my xxx ammount of hours back well tough its time to get over it now it aint coming back..that sort of game has had its day the one thing that WOW should have taugh any MMO gamer is that hardcore/sandbox type games are all but dead they dont make money and franklythat as i've said many times is what it comes down to cold hard cash.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

First of all Smed is a business man not a game designer, he has nothing to do with what they do on the games, he relies on the people he puts in charge of the games to make the right decisions.

Second, it is entirely possible (as SOE have bashed LA before), that LA forced the NGE on SWG by threatening to cancel the license if SOE did not put it live. We know for a fact that many of the SWG devs were very upset that the work on Obiwan and in general was totally wasted by the NGE going live and that they all blamed LA for it.

Don't forget the NGE was in development for a year before it went live and in that time SOE pushed a lot of content live in the hope of turning the game around without the need to use the NGE.

I'm not a huge fan of SOE any more than I am of any other developer or publisher, but I won't let LA walk away from this blame free, for a company that has been purely motivated by profit for over 15 years now (long before SOE existed), it's really stupid to think that LA weren't behind it all in some form or another.

Who's more guilty of a crime, the soldier who bombs a village or the general who issued the order?

• SOE's looking at the real possibility of being below the amount of subs SWG had when they NGE'd it across ALL their games in the next year...

As for the person interviewed, I smell a "Freeman" here.  Someone is trying to revise history ex post facto for personal gain.

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

OH MY GOD JESUS

dude ???

please just be quiet thats all I can say....

what the hell are you talking about? I had server ques when I tried to logon pre-cu

you know what that means? ever seen the "server is full" message on the login screen? stop talking about shit you dont know about ok ?

all server had at least medium on them pre-cu.... and 50 percent of all servers had "very high" popultion

so again, please stop talking about things you dont know about thanks

and to the gods and heros guy: "there would be no star wars galaxies today"

joke of the day, made me laugh....

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."