Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whatever you do don't subscribe

Comments

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531

Originally posted by TopCatFCD

Oh noes its so much money! £6 a month and £30 to buy! oh noes im skint now and cant afford to eat  or breathe or anything at all !! oh noeeeemoes!  Maybe ill eat my donkey  

Really if you bought this thinking it was anything other than really what it is then shame on you lol. Its shallow loot whore orientated and nothing more than some flashy armour and big guns. Bugs galore but still its good for a change sometimes.

As for subs, its really not a lot fo money right now if yer  working i guess ,so i dont care.

Sure its not a lot of money but does what they give you warrant the money?

Considering they spend 4 years on a game that costs 60$, and then consider they are giving only 6 months of work for 60$ with the subscription; that is 1/8th the work your initial 60$ gave and you dont even get anything tangible with the money your giving them.

Then to go further they said they are only keeping 40% of their original staff working on the sub content, simple math says (1/8X0.40=1/20).  Thus you are getting 5% the value your original box gave you, and absolutely nothing tangible that is not lost after you cancel your subscription.  So why exactly would someone simply give them 10$ a month, I mean give it to a homeless person or someone who needs it; honestly...

• TopCatFCDTopCatFCD Member Posts: 21

Its  enough of a game  to keep a lot of folk happy for that money . Subs aside ,since its not compulsory to sub so if you do you cant really complain, the games no worse value than most games released these days.

Most games seem to be given gold status too soon and ship in ready to be patched state. HG:L is no different. You can still have a good game and blast/hack away for a few hours without hitting gamestopping bugs. Theres the odd disconnect but play Single player if that stresses you out.

In the end though i agree if you pay money you should expect value for your cash but here i dont see why you cant play the basic game.Everything else is icing and if thats not right at the moment then it will get fixed or sorted soon.

Official forums have plenty of happy cutomers and the devs are talking to those who arent so happy. Better than doing the old SOE routine.

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

pfffft...Hellgate london to me isnt even a game, well at least not one worth playing. hell its not even a MMORPG...its the closest diablo clone ive ever seen in my life...piece of junk that should have stayed on the drawing bored...and i also dont really like FSS' CEO...that dude needs to get outta games...

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Originally posted by gamerman98

pfffft...Hellgate london to me isnt even a game, well at least not one worth playing. hell its not even a MMORPG...its the closest diablo clone ive ever seen in my life...piece of junk that should have stayed on the drawing bored...and i also dont really like FSS' CEO...that dude needs to get outta games...
    Hellgate London is not even a game to you, well I doubt if anyone else agrees with you.  Your view is pretty unique.

Is it worth playing?  To many people the game is good.  Some have doubts on subscriptions, so do I, but that does not stop people from playing.

Is it a MMORPG?  Does it matter?  Is MMORPG a saintly status?  VG is universally agreed to be MMORPG, but that does not make VG any better as a game upon launch.

Why bring all these personal emotions to a game.  Its entertainment after a long day of hard work.  Enjoy or find something else to enjoy.  Feeling upset about a game is really not worth the trouble.

Back to the topic: is HGL worth subscribing, I still doubt, even though I enjoy the game playing alone online.  The developers are really responding to the player community, and the patches are coming in good time.  No reason why the game will suffer major population loss.  Come to think of it, free online option is actually a good idea, it keeps the game community visible, and stand as a living proof against all those doomsday champions.  When Flagship brings enough new content to the game, these people might be won over and start paying monthly.  I for one do not believe that HGL will wither any time soon.

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Originally posted by markoraos

Well f**** you and the horse you rode in on!!!!!!
    Sorry to interrupt, but I believe you spelt f**** wrong. 

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• abhaighabhaigh Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by Motorhead

Originally posted by markoraos

Well f**** you and the horse you rode in on!!!!!!
    Sorry to interrupt, but I believe you spelt f**** wrong.  

sorry to tell you this, but you did too  :D

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

They should sticky this thread until they actually give you something in return for your money.

The statement still stands strong.  Do not invest in this game besides the initial purchase!

Their monthly payment system is sort of a scam.  There's nothing they offer you you don't already get, and if you cancel thinking ok I still get my 3 months just want to make sure it doesn't do a reaccuring payment you will lose what you payed for and be unable to play.

So basically, they take your money and haven't produced anything worthwhile yet for it.  We'll see if they deliver on their promise this christmas with new content and 2 new classes...

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

They haven't promised 2 new classes for this Christmas.  They will be in subsequent content patches.  This first content patch will be focused around the Stonehenge area.

I repeat;

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T SUBSCRIBE< not even for a month!

I am having NIGHTMARES with their billing system!

I payed for 3 months in advance, and ever since then I've been getting period hellgate charges randomly from their billing system.  I thought it was only one time, and the game hasn't even been out 3 months why am I being charged continuously for 3 months?  This is horrible. 

If I didn't have the money in my account I would have been charged 30 additional dollars by my bank for each additional charge they did on my card.  Given this is christmas season I bought over 2,000 dollars in christmas gifts this year leaving a 100 bucks in my account.  I now am close to 0 due to additional hellgate charges.

original purchase:

CHECK CRD PURCHASE 11/04 HELLGATE PING0

now I'm getting charges for 12/05 from HELLGATE PING0 same exact 3 month price.

DON'T SUBSCRIBE! 

They will resolve your billing issue just as they have resolved other peoples.  For most of us subscribers it has been smooth sailing.  No issues.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by daveospice

Subscribing doesn't offer anything at the moment other than ANNOYING DROPS!

Every instance you collect 5-10 small items that you have ti individually destroy because they're useless, annoying potatoes!  LIterally, that's what they consider in game content... that and butter toffee...
    I'm serious though, don't subscribe you'll hate the game after half your inventory is full of little items that you have to individually delete because you can't "choose" what you pick up.
    subcribing to a solo game like this you gotta be kidding noway josé:P

New definition of boring= HGL....:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

A solo game?  Sheesh people just because the LFG tool isn't in yet doesn't mean you can't find groups.  I never solo in this game.  Grouping in HGL is a blast.  Hopefully once the new grouping tools in patch 0.7 goes live  people will be more willing to jump into parties instead of playing online all by theirselves.

• U-TurnU-Turn Member UncommonPosts: 164

Subscribe?  I can not believe all you people bought this game.  Top 5 worst game ever.

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531

Like Ive said before, they are charging 1/6th the purchase of the box per month.  That means your getting 6 months of development and 4 years of development time at the same price plus the box/free play that goes with it, thats less than 1/8th the original box value and they are still making profit on the original 60$ box which means insane profit from the subs.  Then you see that they only kept around 40% of the original staff working on the game, that means your actually getting less than 5% the original value which they are probably already making more than a 100% return on.

Its nothing but a scam in my opinion, and you take into account the 10$/month is going into fixing these bugs for the non-subs/subs alike and you see your really getting extremely little for your investment.  Disgustingly little actually, but I do love how these people think they are "supporting" these great developers like its some sort of charity case.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I find it hard to believe that there are actually people subscribing to this game,and if you read the official forums , its full of FSS sycophants... very very very sad people.

I was stupid and subscribed right away thinking there was some reason to do so.  IN fact, I thought for sure there would be since they posted a subscriber/non subscriber benefit sheet, but I couldn't have predicted them giving 50% of those benefits to the nonsubscribers, and then having nothing but annoyances for the subscribers. 

I don't think I actually ever got any enjoyment out of being a subscriber, with what little subscribers did get.  The extra items were junk and unusable and they were only for show... which hardly anyone is in a station, so who you bragging to? 

Factor in the fact that if you create a new character it doesn't auto join the guild you're in, and only the guild leader can invite people into guild... there was no social aspect to this game at all.

This game was seriously top 5 worse game of all time due to all the scams, and general bugs and launch problems. 

They tried to call it an MMORPG so that they could get away with launching it prematurely, but in truth it was a half finished single player game that they wanted to make 50 bucks a pop for not even finishing, perhaps to fuel other development titles.

People get mad at me for calling it a scam but...  consider for a second, almost two months after launch they're still randomly puting charges on peoples cards.  You think that they didn't intentionally do it?  I Mean it's not that hard to set up a code that says, don't charge peoples cards several times a month, charge it once a month and set it on a timer.  In fact you almost have to set up the code to charge multiple times in one month in order for it to do so... also, take into consideration how many people probably dont' check their bank statements all that often...  and their eery immediate response to charges as soon as you do call (but not catching it when it's doing it, which either they don't know why it's doing it in order to prevent it or catch it or they're fishing for people to not notice).

How many people have ordered something online, for say... 20 bucks, and ended up being charged for it five times in one month?  When in history has this happened?  Even the games that crashed and took peoples money on purpose didn't charge multiple times.

Then lets consider that they knew that the game itself was completely unfinished... I mean, as soon as you get into act 2 on nightmare you realize immediately NO ONE ON THE DEV TEAM PLAYED PAST THAT POINT.  Or, they're insane.  The game hits this wall where it becomes this HUGE SINGLE PLAYER GRIND.  The most horrific, boring grind ever where you the monsters suddenly jump 5 levels and start one shotting you.

Take into consideration that a lot of the main story line quests were bugged, as in... permanently made your character useless...  memory leaks were known at launch... all these problems... they were known, and yet they still WILLINGLY launched.  It was without a doubt a scam, and there's no other way to shake it.  

If they were desperate for our money because they couldn't afford to continue development we all know that's bs since EA has a ton of money, and if EA was going to pull the plug on them...  I highly doubt they get a chunk of the profits from the game beyond their salaries and so if the game dropped it wasn't like they had to pay back EA all their wages.  This was definately a planned and orchestrated scam, even if the money charging wasn't planned... it's still a scam, it was a chair without legs that they advertised had legs.  It's a scam.

MMORPG's remind me of pyramid schemes...  My friend was really into pyramid get rich quick schemes... they would tell her that their product was great and that it amde people healthy and cured all these ailments and she believed it...  then the truth got out about the product she was selling, she invested tons of money in it at that point and suddenly the car worth of goods they sold her wasn't worth more than a couple bottles of water.  MMORPG's are the same way... they tell you a thousand benefits of buying the game, with only a quarter of them actually true (even then that's usually pushing it) and they show you videos of people speaking and videos of gameplay (that often times isn't even how the game actually plays at launch) and sell you on the idea of this great product and then you find out it's just plain water with nothing to it, in fact it's a little crappier than water.

It's interesting because a lot of other products this doesn't  happen.  You pick up a single player game, you know usually exactly that everything you read is in the game.  You know what you're buying when you pick it up...  but an MMORPG, it could be a big pile of human feces, or it could be a gem.  I'm yet to see a gem.  So far just human feces.  Yet, I'm addicted to the social aspects of virtual 3d chat rooms with magic and swords.  The whole idea sells me every time.  I'm such a gullible bastard.

• WU9JL4585WU9JL4585 Member Posts: 1

if you join a guild your other chars don't join it as well, and if you add a friend none of your other chars see that friend when they log in.  So, basically... if you play hardcore... which is a subscriber feature... you have to go out of your way to make friends.  In fact, I don't even have AIM or ICQ or anything anymore.  I' mused to the games I play having functional chat.

• WOM564EJDWOM564EJD Member Posts: 1

As for subscription... I'll have to strongly agree that we're not being provided enough meat for it,  but I decided to go ahead and try it anyway. If you have friends you're planning to play with and find that 10 Euros a month is not a big deal, you might just as well go for it.

Group play itself does not have the deep MMORPG mechanics where everybody gets a set role, but I still find it more fun than solo play. Faster, much more chaotic.

Though mostly, I think I just like the fuzzy feeling of seeing real Player Characters in a hub. I always liked playing an RPG in my own sphere and going onto some forums to talk about it, trade ideas and stories. It might be an old way  socializing but it worked for me. Diablo gave you a more convenient way of such controlled socializing and so does Hellgate: London.

I myself bought the game online and downloaded it, and I did not have any problems with subscription. I did not end up on a server on the wrong side of the Atlantic, neither did my credit card get billed extra. Though I've read many posts about such problems, too, so evidently they're not rare problems.

Looks like Stonehenge will be more of a central player hub then the various stations.  It is more of a town.  The new environments are pretty nice.  Pretty fun on the test server. 

Want proof this game sucks? Look at how many views/posts this forum has compaired to a crappy game like Tabula Rasa.

• LefnartLefnart Member Posts: 35

I payed $30 dollars waiting for 1.0.

Played 1.0 for 2 hours.

Cancelled my subscription.

It´s just money, but I can´t say it´s easy to wash off the bitter taste on my tongue :/

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Id never subscribe to this game whilst the bugs are still there,and even if they cleared them all i still dont think its really worth it.Stonehenge isnt worth 3 months subs.

Perhaps if it was cheap like dungeon runners,but at almost the same price as any other proper MMO? No chance. Especially since they also have in game ads..seems like pure greed to me.Why do you need both subs and ads plastered over each hub?

They wanted to jump on the MMO bandwagon but missed by a mile. Mythos will probably turn into their cash cow once its released,which in turn will kill that game too.

Not sure if they can save hellgate which is a shame because underneath all the problems its a good game,and its death will mean FPS style RPG and MMO games will be seen as a risk by devs.

• 56KModem56KModem Member Posts: 38

That is indeed a sad state of affairs. The subscription does very little for the $10 that you are ending up spending. The potatoes and the toffee are some of the most friquent drops that you cannot sell or do anything with unless you have collected enough of them to make the item from a recipe.

My suggestion is to significantly boost the subsribers' status. Give a title, some extra drops, and some cool novelty items at the very least. The player should feel that the money that is going toward the game is actually increasing or bettering his/her standing within the game.

I have played and found out the hard way that the subsriber account is not really worth it. Until they change, that remains a fact and people should really conserve their money instead of buying in-game potatoes.

“It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

• renstimpy99renstimpy99 Member Posts: 175

Will non-subscribers eventually get the updates such as Stonehenge for free?

• DemonicpresDemonicpres Member Posts: 7

My only problem with the game is, like a lot of people have said, they released WAY to early.  I'm hoping that by summer - fall of  '08 they will have their affairs in order and will be worth subing to, unless im being addicted to AoC or Warhammer.  But overall, its a good game to solo through because the community is fairly crappy unless you move into HC or elite modes. Give it some time to the dev's to fix their bugs and enhance the game.