Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, I'm just checking in after a few months away, Do they have a worldbuilding MMO yet?

2»

Comments

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by siresper

Originally posted by lionexx

oh yay a post flaming WAR you are so cool..... a clone you say Its mythic their is no cloning there.

Pay the troll no mind lionexx... hes been going from WAR thread to WAR thread for days posting that flame link trying to stir up trouble. Typical behavior for AoC fans. I think hes upset that an AoC beta tester revealed this morning that the game was nothing like what the devs have claimed it to be. All smoke and mirrors. A pity the thread got deleted, a lot of people need to know the real state of the game, not the bullshit that the devs pass unto the community.

Haha true, Don't get me wrong AoC looks like it might be a cool game but srsly. You know what i am upset about...I still haven't got my AoC beta key form MMORPG yet and its almost a year since i won that contest .

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

Originally posted by Cathalaode

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by Denikin

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

link - City Building and Defense
    Now, that's pretty cool.

The instanced city building areas makes me worry that, once implemented, it'll end up sucking. But, all in all I'm really looking forward to seeing if age of conan manages to come together in the end.

There are also the Border Kingdom area's where building are made by people, walls put up by people, set out how you like it - similar to SWG. Everything is destructable, Everything is player made - right down to siege weapons. Wood, Stone, Gold etc etc all cab be found for crafting.

You dont just have a couple of building that can be blown up - everything can be, you make your own siege weapons too, they arent just laying around for people to pick up.

PvE cities are instanced based against NPC's - Border Kingdom 'Battlekeeps' are OPEN against anyone during set periods, unlimited people.

Gameplay wise its not a clone unlike some newer releases : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMoHGAUhCk

oh yay a post flaming WAR you are so cool..... a clone you say Its mythic their is no cloning there.

Go AoC Fanboi go you i wish i could be just like you.

Do your research.

Oh and ill probaly get banned cause they think i am flaming you! Its okay tho.

I had to read through his post three times to find him calling anything a clone. Besides, he put a little comment calling WAR a clone under seven (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) lines of him explaining AoC's system. Yet you put in a whole post dedicated to calling him a flamer, if you don't see the irony there I'm not going to point it out. But to the topic at hand.

Let's face it, WAR does share a lot of things with WoW, and the typical defense to this would be either "No it doesn't, it's just different" or "WoW didn't do it first, so there's no copying WoW here". To start with, I may defend AoC a lot, but that's because it takes a pretty bad bashing and I have a tendency to side with the underdog; I'm actually still trying to decide which game I am going to buy, but sticking with my trend of defending AoC whilst attacking the other posters game of choice, here we go.

1)    WAR combat, it works, some people like it, and it is exactly like what is in most games (Not a big deal, but I prefer AoC's system). (WoW + 0)

2)   WAR quests, same as every other game, with the exceptions being pretty small (public quests [everyone does it at the same time, rewards are modified to meet the difference, biggest stretch from the norm], kill counters [Starts counting from before you start killing], Christmas quests [Just a reward, basically like finding a treasure chest]) (WoW + 0.5)

3)   WAR World, split up into sectioned off zones, looks like there will be load times. Actually a step down from WoW in my opinion. Segregated PvP and PvE areas. Linear zone progression (Every other game as well). Etcetera. (WoW - 0.5)

4)   WAR PvP, PvP zones, and PvP Battlegrounds (Except with NPC guards). Difference being that you get experience and loot from PvP directly, and pushing control between three zones. (WoW + 1)

5)   WAR class customization, decent. Allows for a good amount of difference in tactics, and moral abilities; Outside of that though, there doesn't seem to be any. (WoW + 1)

So this isn't even WoW 2, it's WoW 1.4.

I'll edit in something that goes against AoC or for WAR later, but I have to do something.

I do remember games workshop being around before blizzard was a compeny, If i recall i remember UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC being around before Blizzard was into the MMO Gere, and if i recall SWG,

L2, and EQ2 were out when they were making WoW, And i will point out WoW shares most of the trarits in all of these mmos like ever mmo out to date since UO, If you think mythic is cloning a game maybe you should say they are cloning DAoC, Not WoW.

Here is some food for thought Games workshop(They make WAR for no one that does there research) was Founded  in 1975, Warhammer has been around since 1990, while Warcraft has been around since 1995. Games workshop and blizzard had a deal in the 90s for a Warhammer game but blizzard kicked the bucket and went and made warcraft:Orcs and humans( kind of odd huh?) Just remember Warhammer was out before Warcraft...So anyone doing the WoW/War flame research.

• CathalaodeCathalaode Member Posts: 281

I do remember games workshop being around before blizzard was a compeny, If i recall i remember UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC being around before Blizzard was into the MMO Gere, and if i recall SWG,

L2, and EQ2 were out when they were making WoW, And i will point out WoW shares most of the trarits in all of these mmos like ever mmo out to date since UO, If you think mythic is cloning a game maybe you should say they are cloning DAoC, Not WoW.

Here is some food for thought Games workshop(They make WAR for no one that does there research) was Founded  in 1975, Warhammer has been around since 1990, while Warcraft has been around since 1995. Games workshop and blizzard had a deal in the 90s for a Warhammer game but blizzard kicked the bucket and went and made warcraft:Orcs and humans( kind of odd huh?) Just remember Warhammer was out before Warcraft...So anyone doing the WoW/War flame research.
    That is irrelevant, and for the record, I play the Table top game. Yes, Warhammer came out first, and yes Games workshop came out first. And Starcraft rips a some stuff off from 40k, just like Warcraft rips stuff off from Warhammer. But that's just the IP, there are literally hundreds of ways to make an MMO based in the Warhammer universe, but my problem is that they picked the most generic, tried and true method.

You'll also notice that Warhammer was a tabletop game, and Warcraft was an RTS with buildings and the like, but nobody's pointing and calling Dawn of War a Warcraft rip off. Which is my point; Dawn of War innovated some stuff, but still borrowed lots of ideas, and nobody pointed out that it had aspects that resembled those this and that, and if they did, the comments weren't complaints, but this is because they borrowed their ideas from so many different sources instead of borrowing so many from one. The reason people are calling WAR a WoW clone is because it takes so many of it's ideas from that one source, and WAR resemble WoW in a lot of ways. The fact that the IP came out first is absolutely beside the point, just like WoW borrowing it's ideas from other games, WAR borrowing ideas that weren't in WoW, and WAR coming up with it's own small ideas; the point is that it has been done before, in a very similar fashion, which can be alright on occasion, but WoW is still at it's peak, you have to let it die first.

Also for the record, I've been following the game since it was announced, so don't tell me to do my research, because it's been done in advance.

My point is and was its not a WoW clone WoW is a fourth gen MMO everything has been done and WAR is not a clone of a WoW but instead more of a clone of Lets say other mmos...

• CapnHulkCapnHulk Member Posts: 35

If you aren't a stickler for graphics then you might want to try out "A Tale in the Desert."

As for the whole off-topic "clone" discussion, you have to remember that a game in a certain genre will almost always be similar to other games in said genre. Racing games, sports games, action games are all fundamentally similar, yes? Would you say that 90% of MMORPGs are clones of Everquest? Does it matter?

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by CapnHulk

If you aren't a stickler for graphics then you might want to try out "A Tale in the Desert."
    As for the whole off-topic "clone" discussion, you have to remember that a game in a certain genre will almost always be similar to other games in said genre. Racing games, sports games, action games are all fundamentally similar, yes? Would you say that 90% of MMORPGs are clones of Everquest? Does it matter?

Your post is so lame. All those words have been used before. Damn clone posts....

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online