Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering getting LOTRO

Okay so I tested this game and I liked everything about it except for the performance. Its not because of the game its because of my computer, How much ram and what video card would I need to play at ultra high settings? Thanks if you reply.

Comments

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Uberfatkid

Okay so I tested this game and I liked everything about it except for the performance. Its not because of the game its because of my computer, How much ram and what video card would I need to play at ultra high settings? Thanks if you reply.
    Depends if you have XP or Vista. 

I'd go with 2 GB of RAM with XP and 4 GB of RAM with Vista.

Any SLI setup will most likely run it great.  If you don't have that option, then at least stick with a video card no more than a year old.  A decent amount of RAM on the video card doesn't hurt either.  (I'd recommend at least 512MB).

That would get you into a setup close to mine and I can play it at ultra high settings and still get around 35fps unless there are 50+ players on the screen at the same time (like Bree or Kinship Hall).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

comparing to other mmos like WoW or Everquest 2 how big is the world of lotro?

• UberfatkidUberfatkid Member Posts: 98

Yea, I have XP with one gig of ram and my ideo card is almost 3 years old so I guess I will just buy more ram and a better video card. Lots of money.... Oh well

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by tkreep

comparing to other mmos like WoW or Everquest 2 how big is the world of lotro?
    Well... considering that both WoW and EQ2 have been out 3 years now; I'd say both of them are probably bigger than LoTRo currently.  How much bigger?  Tough to say.  (I'm sure someone will come along and give you an exact amount though). 

Play-wise they seem comparable.  Meaning that the world in each of those games seems appropriate for the game it's designed in.  None of them seems too small or too large and empty. 

Since LoTRo has a Free Trial available; I'd suggest trying it out and they you can decide for yourself if you think it's too small or about right for your tastes.

• UberfatkidUberfatkid Member Posts: 98

Can someone possibly give me the names or links to a few good Video cards to run LOTRO at ultra high settings, please?

• BubbaToastBubbaToast Member Posts: 24

Depends... Do you have AGP? or PCI-E? What are the specs for your computer... if your processor is weak then there is no point in getting a vid card because it would just get bottlenecked. You might need to upgrade your power supply too. There are many factors in upgrading a pc...

If you have PCI-E and a decent power supply I would go with the new NVidia 8800GT its hard to find right now but unbeatable for the price vs performance

If you have AGP I would go with the Radeon x1950Pro.

• labg11labg11 Member Posts: 84

Don't kid yourself u don't need a top of the line video card nor processor to play LOTRO, u just need at least 2GB of ram (solve some lag issues), and a decent 256 RAM Vid card not too old to handle a decent version of pixel shader and other DX stuff .

As for the processor, i can honestly say that i'm running an athlon 64 3000+ quite fine with ultra vid settings, just in raids i have to lower a lil bit the options.

It's not a very demanding game.

Of course if u want to expirience the dx10 beta features u know it will cost a bit.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

They've done alot of optimization since beta, i was in beta and it ran like crap on my 2 year old fully upgraded computer. However, I just got a new computer, and it runs perfect on the full settings. And my friends who have "lesser" computers run it fine as well on those settings.