Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User interface and Eve Voice changes: will you be using Eve Voice?

Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

When Trinity is released, there will be changes to the user interface and Eve Voice.

You can read about it in CCP Zuluparks's blog:

myeve.eve-online.com/devblog.asp

I think it looks very good! Fleet warfare looks to be better organised with it.

At the moment it's on a perpetual free trial.

Is your corp/alliance going to use it?

Comments

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

In a word:

No

Why:

Because anyone with more than 1 account has to pay for it for each and EVERY account.  IE: it doubles the cost of EVE for no gain that you don't already have from TS/Vent.  And TS/Vent is cheaper, on aggregate.  EVE Voice does not, and cannot, offer as much bang for the buck as TS/Vent does as long as it requires you to be logged into the game client to use it and as long as you have to pay for a separate 'instance' of it for each and every account you own.

Sorry, it's just not worth it.  There are people in some alliances with upwards of 5 accounts.  Do you honestly think they're going to want to pay an extra $50-$75 a year just to get basically the same functionality they already get for free from TS/VENT?

Didn't think so.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

I have speach problems [half a tongue] so no i wont be using it...shame really.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

I won't be using it, I have a ventrilo server

imageimage

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i use eve voice and all our corp
    cant be hacked (or ppl don't dare)atm is free i never payed also if u disconnect and still working (if u dont move the ship or type on chat)
    when u wanna talk whit some one u don't need to go in a TS/ventrilo server

BestSigEver :P

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by cosy

i use eve voice and all our corp

cant be hacked (or ppl don't dare)atm is free i never payed also if u disconnect and still working (if u dont move the ship or type on chat)

when u wanna talk whit some one u don't need to go in a TS/ventrilo server

However, unlike a Vent/TS server, its limited to one game and running a multigame Corp/Guild and a radio station for gamers, the EvE voice is useless for multigaming...

At the moment, hell, i can even talk to guildies that play on their Xboxes, PS's or whatever if they are sat at their PC's

imageimage

yes u are right is limited
    the metagaming in eve is to hight
    we got ventrilo and TS servers from some friends after last problem when the server haz hacked we lose TS, wiki and a killboard so wee start using eve voice
    TS&ventrilo are good because u can log whan u need and are cheaper but not for eve

• trentonxtrentonx Member Posts: 147

well... seeing as eve voice has been free for the past year...

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Taram

In a word:
    No
    Why:
    Because anyone with more than 1 account has to pay for it for each and EVERY account.  IE: it doubles the cost of EVE for no gain that you don't already have from TS/Vent.  And TS/Vent is cheaper, on aggregate.  EVE Voice does not, and cannot, offer as much bang for the buck as TS/Vent does as long as it requires you to be logged into the game client to use it and as long as you have to pay for a separate 'instance' of it for each and every account you own.
    Sorry, it's just not worth it.  There are people in some alliances with upwards of 5 accounts.  Do you honestly think they're going to want to pay an extra $50-$75 a year just to get basically the same functionality they already get for free from TS/VENT?
    Didn't think so.

considering its only 10-15$ a year, its a little over 1$ more a month. Lol also if someone has enofe money to pay 30$+ for more then one account, im sure they can pay another 1$ for eve voice ... IF they want it in the first place.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

i doubt we will use it, there is familiarity with TS, it works. Also, the compliance issue, we need everyone to have acess and we sometimes have multi alliance ops, requiring everyone to pay for something exrtra will not go down well.

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

Im gonna buy it...its only 85cent a month...I can find that in my couch!

Also...gonna be fun as hell ransoming people over EvE voice ^^.  I for one cant stand TS, the sound quality is so awful, I really dont know how anyone can *actively* use it. As long as the changes to the EvE voice really make it "Crystal Clear" imma be down with it.

~HappyGaming

PS: As stated above...using EvE voice is really only good for...well...EvE. SO if you chat it up with people that dont play EvE you still will have to keep your normal Vent / TS in the background. If you already use One of these for EvE I can see how it would not benifit you to use EvE Voice.

I run 3 Vents at a time and refuse to use TS for EvE...so having EvE voice upgraded is a big plus for me, as I will finaly be able to use a VoIP program for EvE.

• Li-SharinganLi-Sharingan Member Posts: 3

i'm not gonna use eve voice either dunno even why they putted it in there anyway sins they know people use vent or TS more lol

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

In a word:
    No
    Why:
    Because anyone with more than 1 account has to pay for it for each and EVERY account. IE: it doubles the cost of EVE for no gain that you don't already have from TS/Vent. And TS/Vent is cheaper, on aggregate. EVE Voice does not, and cannot, offer as much bang for the buck as TS/Vent does as long as it requires you to be logged into the game client to use it and as long as you have to pay for a separate 'instance' of it for each and every account you own.
    Sorry, it's just not worth it. There are people in some alliances with upwards of 5 accounts. Do you honestly think they're going to want to pay an extra $50-$75 a year just to get basically the same functionality they already get for free from TS/VENT?
    Didn't think so.

OK, first off...

EVE Voice is still on perpetual "free trial"!

This means that if you sign up now, or even if you've signed up months ago, you still have free access and will not be charged until they change to a pay-for model.

Second...

CCP and Vivox stated that your voice account is supposed to be common between all EVE (and probably other games) accounts. This means that when it does ever go paid, you should only have to pay for one voice account, no matter if you have 5 EVE accounts and 3 Fallen Earth accounts.

(This was in an older interview so this might have change, but sounds like a bad business move to do so.)

Once EVE Voice does go paid, there should be a news post, and a management page under accounts should open up (since its all free now, there is no point to managing it). I also doubt that CCP would do something as idiotic as automatically upgrading your trial voice account to paid and start auto-billing you. They already could have done this with the game trial accounts (as so many other MMO companies do). I trust them with this.

I agree, though, that there needs to be an out of game client for EVE Voice to be truly useful. Vivox has said to be working on something - how soon it will support EVE is another issue. If they could also tie in use of player chat channels (corp, alliance, custom channels) that would be amazing.

I'm more likely to use it now with the changes, but as to dedicating my corp to using it - no, at least not yet.

(Side note: I run EVE in Linux under Wine without even any moderate issues. However, EVE Voice still does not work properly (randomly leaves channels and speaking does not work). However, this is much better than previous versions, which would cause the client to crash at login. Some day it will work I suspect - until then I have another reason to use TeamSpeak instead.)

//insert sig here
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Nu11u5

In a word:

No

Why:

Because anyone with more than 1 account has to pay for it for each and EVERY account. IE: it doubles the cost of EVE for no gain that you don't already have from TS/Vent. And TS/Vent is cheaper, on aggregate. EVE Voice does not, and cannot, offer as much bang for the buck as TS/Vent does as long as it requires you to be logged into the game client to use it and as long as you have to pay for a separate 'instance' of it for each and every account you own.

Sorry, it's just not worth it. There are people in some alliances with upwards of 5 accounts. Do you honestly think they're going to want to pay an extra $50-$75 a year just to get basically the same functionality they already get for free from TS/VENT?

Didn't think so.

OK, first off...

EVE Voice is still on perpetual "free trial"!

This means that if you sign up now, or even if you've signed up months ago, you still have free access and will not be charged until they change to a pay-for model.

Second...

CCP and Vivox stated that your voice account is supposed to be common between all EVE (and probably other games) accounts. This means that when it does ever go paid, you should only have to pay for one voice account, no matter if you have 5 EVE accounts and 3 Fallen Earth accounts.

(This was in an older interview so this might have change, but sounds like a bad business move to do so.)

Once EVE Voice does go paid, there should be a news post, and a management page under accounts should open up (since its all free now, there is no point to managing it). I also doubt that CCP would do something as idiotic as automatically upgrading your trial voice account to paid and start auto-billing you. They already could have done this with the game trial accounts (as so many other MMO companies do). I trust them with this.

I agree, though, that there needs to be an out of game client for EVE Voice to be truly useful. Vivox has said to be working on something - how soon it will support EVE is another issue. If they could also tie in use of player chat channels (corp, alliance, custom channels) that would be amazing.

I'm more likely to use it now with the changes, but as to dedicating my corp to using it - no, at least not yet.

(Side note: I run EVE in Linux under Wine without even any moderate issues. However, EVE Voice still does not work properly (randomly leaves channels and speaking does not work). However, this is much better than previous versions, which would cause the client to crash at login. Some day it will work I suspect - until then I have another reason to use TeamSpeak instead.)

I've edited my original post accordingly. Thanks.

forgot to add there is a issue whit eve-voice and xfire also
    if u get enabled eve-o on xfire tracking u can talk on eve-voice but u have to have eve-online minimized

Originally posted by tvalentine

In a word:
    No
    Why:
    Didn't think so.

considering its only 10-15$ a year, its a little over 1$ more a month. Lol also if someone has enofe money to pay 30$+ for more then one account, im sure they can pay another 1$ for eve voice ... IF they want it in the first place.

Just because you CAN afford something doesn't translate to wanting to.

EVE Voice isn't worth the price.

1 person with 5 accounts would be $75/year for EVE voice

For that SAME price they could buy a vent server that would easilly serve a 15-20 person corporation, allow them to communicate regardless of what game they are currently playing or not playing anything at all and, have their own controls in place.

EVE Voice, while convenient within EVE, is NOT going to be free and is limited to EVE only and only if you are actually logged into a character in the game.  There are some benefits to using it but it, frankly, isn't worth the money.  Which goes back to that 'just because I can afford it doesn't mean it's worth my money'.

EVE Voice isn't worth the price.1 person with 5 accounts would be $75/year for EVE voiceThe only information we have on how accounts will work says the opposite. You will only need to make one Vivox account (managed separately) and you will have to link your EVE accounts to it so they can auto-connect at login.For that SAME price they could buy a vent server that would easilly serve a 15-20 person corporation, allow them to communicate regardless of what game they are currently playing or not playing anything at all and, have their own controls in place.In addition to working with all of your EVE accounts, your Vivox account should work with any other games that support Vivox (i.e. Fallen Earth, SL, DDO).EVE Voice, while convenient within EVE, is NOT going to be free and is limited to EVE only and only if you are actually logged into a character in the game.As I mentioned, Vivox is working on a stand-alone client which will let you chat to anyone with a voice account in any supported game. Weither or not it will support the in game channels is to be seen.There are some benefits to using it but it, frankly, isn't worth the money. Which goes back to that 'just because I can afford it doesn't mean it's worth my money'.

As I said, I agree that right now, Vivox is not worth dedicated use yet, but not because its "not worth the money" which is a null argument considering that is it currently free anyway. My problems with it is that it is dependent on the ability to log in and does not work in Linux.

In the future I expect this to be resolved and more. The guys at Vivox actually do play the game, and while they might not be the most notorious or savvy bunch they do have an idea what we need in a voice chat service. CCP already has the interface nearly sorted in Trinity, now we just need to wait for Vivox's standalone client.

Vivox is also doing a lot of R&D with EVE. They have already demonstrated a real-time and naturally sounding text-to-speach engine for converting a text chat conversation to 'voice' in the game, and is working on speak-to-text as well as sound fonts to do voice morphing. These could open up some amazing possibilities in the game (NPCs that actually talk to you? ..have a conversation with them?)

//insert sig here

Originally posted by Nu11u5

EVE Voice isn't worth the price.

1 person with 5 accounts would be $75/year for EVE voice
    The only information we have on how accounts will work says the opposite. You will only need to make one Vivox account (managed separately) and you will have to link your EVE accounts to it so they can auto-connect at login.
    For that SAME price they could buy a vent server that would easilly serve a 15-20 person corporation, allow them to communicate regardless of what game they are currently playing or not playing anything at all and, have their own controls in place.
    In addition to working with all of your EVE accounts, your Vivox account should work with any other games that support Vivox (i.e. Fallen Earth, SL, DDO).
    EVE Voice, while convenient within EVE, is NOT going to be free and is limited to EVE only and only if you are actually logged into a character in the game.
    As I mentioned, Vivox is working on a stand-alone client which will let you chat to anyone with a voice account in any supported game. Weither or not it will support the in game channels is to be seen.
    There are some benefits to using it but it, frankly, isn't worth the money. Which goes back to that 'just because I can afford it doesn't mean it's worth my money'.

As I said, I agree that right now, Vivox is not worth dedicated use yet, but not because its "not worth the money" which is a null argument considering that is it currently free anyway. My problems with it is that it is dependent on the ability to log in and does not work in Linux.

In the future I expect this to be resolved and more. The guys at Vivox actually do play the game, and while they might not be the most notorious or savvy bunch they do have an idea what we need in a voice chat service. CCP already has the interface nearly sorted in Trinity, now we just need to wait for Vivox's standalone client.

Vivox is also doing a lot of R&D with EVE. They have already demonstrated a real-time and naturally sounding text-to-speach engine for converting a text chat conversation to 'voice' in the game, and is working on speak-to-text as well as sound fonts to do voice morphing. These could open up some amazing possibilities in the game (NPCs that actually talk to you? ..have a conversation with them?)

As the client currently stands, in game:

it does NOT span accounts

it is NOT accessible from outside the game

it IS free but WILL cost money once it is finalized.

it CLAIMS that it will be account independant but I fail to see how they're going to do that at this point since it's integrated in the game client...  Unless the client will be moving to a standalone client (like TS/Vent) which has hooks into EVE for integration into channels in eve, etc.  Like I said:

As currently offered: No

if they deliver all that they are promising it's something I would consider but only if every member of my alliance decided to go with it as well.  Because, like any voice comm, it's worthless if the entire fleet is not using it.

As the client currently stands, in game:
    It doesn't need to - its free atm.it is NOT accessible from outside the gameGranted.it IS free but WILL cost money once it is finalized.Likely, yes. However, I would hope that the "finalized" service includes a functional standalone client.it CLAIMS that it will be account independant but I fail to see how they're going to do that at this point since it's integrated in the game client...Actually, the service and voice account management is already separate from the client and CCP's accounts. The only thing in the game is the UI - all of the functional peices are handled by software written by Vivox that EVE starts when you log in. Right now it just seems that transparent because the only accounts are free trial accounts and therefore its pointless to manage which EVE accounts are on which Vivox accounts. When it does become important to manage - when it goes paid - then the ability to do so will be exposed to users.Unless the client will be moving to a standalone client (like TS/Vent) which has hooks into EVE for integration into channels in eve, etc.As I said, Vivox is actually already using their own client - just that the nuts and bolts are hidden from view. What is needed is a UI that can be started outside of EVE. Development wise, this is 100% feasible and supposedly Vivox is working on one.Like I said:
    As currently offered: No
    if they deliver all that they are promising it's something I would consider but only if every member of my alliance decided to go with it as well. Because, like any voice comm, it's worthless if the entire fleet is not using it.I agree. CCP said they would work out some kind of corp or alliance wide service, so we'll have to see how this develops.

//insert sig here
  • Gu1ltyGu1lty Member Posts: 59

yeah...not interested. A fairly good idea but everyone I want to talk to is already in vent. 

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

"CCP Zulupark": To answer some questions that have risen:

Stand alone EVE Voice client: EVE Voice is in constant development (like all of EVE) and a standalone client is something we have on our roadmap.

Locked targets overlap everything: We know, it's a bug, it'll get fixed :)

New UI and more lag?: The UI was re-written in parts and optimized so if there is any performance change, it should be for the better.

"CCP Zulupark"

"Shadowsword": This sound pretty nice, but I have one suggestion: Allow fleet members to move themselves into empty positions. It would make fleet organisation so much easier and faster...

This is actually being implemented in this expansion :)

The fleet commander will be able to put his fleet in 'open' mode, and then all members can move themselves into any open squad, or any open squad commander position.

"CCP Explorer"

"Menellaix": The ship control panel is still stuck in the bottom center as well.
    Future thing we are considering, as a part of dual-monitor support.
  • adriaansadriaans Member Posts: 125

I've been using it for quite some time already...

Knowledge is Power!

It doesn't need to - its free atm.

I fail to see how that somehow makes it irrelevant?  If it doesn't currently span accounts exactly who's word am I taking that it will when it is 'ready'?  As I said, as the client currently is implemented I will not be interested in it.  And, no offense, I don't care if the standalone client is 'on the roadmap' or not.  If it's not 'available' then I'm not interested.

Even if they deliver on all of their promises EVE Voice will still not be worth the money unless every single member of my alliance opts to use it as well.  Until that time my answer stands:

As currently implemented I have no intention of using EVE voice, even if it's free.

By the way, have they fixed the nasty little issue that you have to punch holes in your firewall for eve-voice to work?

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

I fail to see how that somehow makes it irrelevant?  If it doesn't currently span accounts exactly who's word am I taking that it will when it is 'ready'?  As I said, as the client currently is implemented I will not be interested in it.

Even if they deliver on all of their promises EVE Voice will still not be worth the money unless every single member of my alliance opts to use it as well.  Until that time my answer stands:

As currently implemented I have no intention of using EVE voice, even if it's free.

By the way, have they fixed the nasty little issue that you have to punch holes in your firewall for eve-voice to work?

lol does it matter? if someone wants it, they'll get it. Doesnt matter if you think no one is gonna buy it, because if they are stupid enough to buy FIVE accounts (referring to one of your older posts) im pretty sure they would get EVE voice for 3 of those accounts, considering they have 5 accounts, it comes down to that person saying hes got more then the next person.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by tvalentine

I fail to see how that somehow makes it irrelevant?  If it doesn't currently span accounts exactly who's word am I taking that it will when it is 'ready'?  As I said, as the client currently is implemented I will not be interested in it.

lol does it matter? if someone wants it, they'll get it. Doesnt matter if you think no one is gonna buy it, because if they are stupid enough to buy FIVE accounts (referring to one of your older posts) im pretty sure they would get EVE voice for 3 of those accounts, considering they have 5 accounts, it comes down to that person saying hes got more then the next person.

Fail to see how this is relevent to the original question

"Will YOU be using EVE voice?"

I am not telling anyone else what to do.  What I have said is that *I* will not be buying it unless my entire alliance does because, bottom line, without 100% participation of our fleet members it's useless as a tool.

The only people here trying to convince anyone to do anything are the ones trying to convince me that EVE Voice is some great deal that I should be thrilled to pay $15 extra a year for.  Well, sorry, I'm not.  I see no need to pay $15 a year to use a voice client that:

• Currently can only be used in EVE
    • Currently can only be used if I'm logged into  EVE
    • Currently can only be used on ONE account in EVE
    • Is, and will always be, useless unless every single member of my alliance opts to use it.

We already have an alliance Teamspeak server with 24/7 support that Sturmgrenadier provides free to alliance members.  I honestly don't see members of my alliance opting to PAY for a service that, while it may not offer as many bells and whistles within the game, they already get free.  Also, I'm still baffled why people think that in-game voice is ok to charge for?  Every other MMORPG that offers in game voice offers it for free. 

But hey, if you guys want to go out and get it that's cool.  I really don't care.  The question was "will you be getting it" and I said "no" you guys are the ones jumping all over me for my reasons not to get it, I haven't tried to tell anyone in this thread what to do.  I simply said I would not be getting it and listed my many reasons why. 

• EskalinEskalin Member Posts: 1

i see empire corps using it but the large alliances won't i use e-v on one of my alts and i was suprised at the clarity now if only the new teamspeak delivers like that