Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes PvP here so great?

NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

I played the game for a good bit, had two level 50s, but I don't see why people claim it to be the best PvP ever?

What makes is so great? You simply zerg to capture fortresses specifically designed for RvR, and defend your own, but with no greater point? I'm not trying to troll, I just want to know as an ex-UO player and current EVE player. In both of those games you fight for loot, power, and territory that has purpose.

-------------------------

Comments

• chirpyboychirpyboy Member UncommonPosts: 22

There is more to the RVR then Zerging. Zerging most times isnt that fun just do it if you cant find a group or your a archer/stealther. But i enjoyed it so much because of its intense 8man. Get great group of skilled people that know what they are doing. What kept me going for so long even after ToA. I mean in retrospect to WoW. Their PvP Didnt seem like you needed as much skill and tactics, and you didnt even have to do anything to get Honor Points, but in daoc just seemed like you had to actually contribute. I dunno just the Dynmaics of DAoC PVP keeps me more intrested then many others.

• pigfistpigfist Member Posts: 53

Daoc pvp does have purpose. Other than the realm points you get to make your character stronger. The keeps and towers offer realm bonuses. Be that your realm now has access to Darkness Falls, while holding the most towers. DF = seals and  loot from bosses. Though no one seems to go there much anymore.

Also your realm will get other buffs for each area they control, like coin and xp bonus. And with relics come damage bonus, both magic and melee. You might not have noticed that you are rewarded with extra coin, xp, and rps when killing mobs or players around a tower or keep your realm owns. More so if your guild has claimed it.

Not many take advantage of these rewards excluding the relics, really. Possible because they are so minor. Still, there are two strong rewards. Rps/bps to better equip and skill your character. The other is simply bragging rights.

As for mindless zerging. It doesn't and has not always been that way.

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310

The thing that makes the PVP so great in DAOC for me being a stealther. The way I can just stalk someone without them even knowing I'm there until bam there dead before they know what hit them. The way I get to show off my skill instead of  just that one button pushing all day. Also where you got to have some skill in this game to kill someone and its not just base on what gear you have to win a fight. It’s also just the thrill of just sitting on a bridge watching people hunt for you after you killed one of there group mates. Stuff like that is what keeps me playing daoc and it will always keep me coming back for more. There is no other game that can match PVP like that and none even close right now.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Appreciate the responses guys!

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Originally posted by pigfist

Daoc pvp does have purpose. Other than the realm points you get to make your character stronger. The keeps and towers offer realm bonuses. Be that your realm now has access to Darkness Falls, while holding the most towers. DF = seals and  loot from bosses. Though no one seems to go there much anymore.
      Also your realm will get other buffs for each area they control, like coin and xp bonus. And with relics come damage bonus, both magic and melee. You might not have noticed that you are rewarded with extra coin, xp, and rps when killing mobs or players around a tower or keep your realm owns. More so if your guild has claimed it.
      Not many take advantage of these rewards excluding the relics, really. Possible because they are so minor. Still, there are two strong rewards. Rps/bps to better equip and skill your character. The other is simply bragging rights.
      As for mindless zerging. It doesn't and has not always been that way.
    I couldn't have put it better myself.  The thing is, RVR used to be way more fun when the game was launched, or just shortly after that when all the people got to 50 and started to rvr.  My friends and I spent hours upon hours killing people in Emain, but emain is long gone now.  The bg's are properly done IMO.  They have a point.  You'd usually go there with a purpose.  Way back when Darkness Falls actually ment something, one of the main reasons why I went out there into the RVR zone was to get towers so my realm can go there.

When more people were playing the game, the comunity aspect of the game ment a lot more.  People fought for the realm and not just for themselves.  People were not necessaraly known due to their staggering kill count but by how they lead raids, or how they directed people in taking keeps, or providing intel on their stealthers so that the others would be able to dodge the zerg and stay alive.  That's the part I miss most.  This is however just my view of it.  I don't expect anybody to see it from my perspective or even agree with me.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

So, you guys are saying that people used to fight RvR to control PvE areas containing valuable loot 'n such? I also gather that you like the combat system, saying it's skill based?

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Originally posted by Netzoko

So, you guys are saying that people used to fight RvR to control PvE areas containing valuable loot 'n such? I also gather that you like the combat system, saying it's skill based?

yes each realm has a melee and magic relic, that means 3 melees and 3 magics.  Each one confers 10% extra DPS (I think, can't remember for sure now).  So if say Percival Midgard owns all 6, we have 30% extra DPS from melee and magic.

Yes the side with best control over warring territorities gains access to the hi reward dungeon called Darkfall.  The fun begins when DF change hands.  The side previously in DF will usually put up a fight at the entrance of the side just winning over DF, new comers from the new side will zone in and the old side will fight them.  New side has an advantage, if you die you zone back in.  The old side, if you die you need a rez or you revive outside on your own not to come in again.  The entrance sees a lot of combat tactics, aoeing the entrance, zoning in (on a raised platform) and range attacking the remaining army of the old side ... fun, not zerg.

There are lots of tricks, lots of tactics.  During RVR you only know the race of the enemy.  You see a dwarf, you do not know if he is a warrior or a healer.  That gives room for tricks.  I deliberately arm my warriors with a 1hand mace and small round shield (warriors use bigger shields, only healer class use small round shields) and walk around solo or with hidden friends, innocently looking like a shaman/healer.  The stealthy guys will come to stun me, and they will meet my big 2hander and possibly my stealthy friends.  Stealths will ambush, we can counter ambush.  Baits, traps, aoe roots (shaman) can finish a stealthy fast.  Windows and other terrain features or structures like castle walls can be used for realistic combats, lots of demolished towers and keeps to hide.

The border zone is a wide zone not just a small instance 8 vs 8.  with skill and preparation, an 8man team can inflict huge damage to a huge zerg army and ran off with little casualties.  Or bait the zerg army into a trap.  Fun.

Oh yeah and 3 sides makes a lot of difference, I remember having all 3 armies meeting at once around a big lake, the stalemate the suspense the risk of rear ambush.  The need for constant scouting, watching for the incoming ambush.

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

Nothing, real pvp'ers play shadowbane or FPS shooters.

DAOC = mostly X-EQ carebears .... Even the ones that do PVP hide behind their items and RR/ML.

• MontenagroMontenagro Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Shazzel

Nothing, real pvp'ers play shadowbane or FPS shooters.

DAOC = mostly X-EQ carebears .... Even the ones that do PVP hide behind their items and RR/ML.

Shadowbane is horrible... and very unbalenced.

DAoC is actually NOT mostly ex-EQ players... most EQ players stayed with EQ or moved to EQ2... the EQ community hated DAoC with a passion, calling Mythic Idea "Thieves"

As for RR and ML, well Realm Rank comes with PvPing and is an Earned thing, get over it... fight harder.   ML or master levels are on TOA servers only... and i dont play those.

Classic servers ftw.

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

Originally posted by Montenagro

DAOC

Shadowbane is horrible... and very unbalenced.

DAoC is actually NOT mostly ex-EQ players... most EQ players stayed with EQ or moved to EQ2... the EQ community hated DAoC with a passion, calling Mythic Idea "Thieves"

As for RR and ML, well Realm Rank comes with PvPing and is an Earned thing, get over it... fight harder.   ML or master levels are on TOA servers only... and i dont play those.

Classic servers ftw.

Shadowbane is fine, balance wise. Graphics on the other hand...leaves something to be desired. Definately more balanced than Camelot though.

No need to tell me who plays DAOC and who doesnt, as ive played and/or tested nearly every game on this website. (including camelot)

That said ill give YOU a history lesson, camelot came out right after EQ. Gamers jumped on board from EQ1, they wanted gameplay that was less item-centric with a bit of light pvp. Which is what they got for the most part until ToA.

All this said the vast "core" of DAOC are X-EQ. Like it or not thats whom mythics target audience was for the first couple years...

As for realm ranks thanks for your assistance.. I mean its been sOo long since i was the FIRST player to 50 on ECTOR and the FIRST player to RR6 but yea thanks again. Dunno what I would do without rookie like yourself keeping me in "check". 

Classic servers FTW? Indeed they were a step in the right direction but as the saying goes "too little, too late". With EA in charge now I wouldn't look for much new for DAOC subs, other than maybe some nice new spyware to go with your next patch?

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

I didn't read this post but this pvp better be good because I'm going all in with my chips on warhammer, which supposedly will utilize this pvp system.

• Mimimi_RuMimimi_Ru Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Gemma

I didn't read this post but this pvp better be good because I'm going all in with my chips on warhammer, which supposedly will utilize this pvp system.

Not a good idea to put all your "chips" on warhammer. Having played its decent.. but nothing special, if you liked WoW then you'll prolly enjoy warhammer and vise versa.

MIMI

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I've ues my friends beta account and from what I saw, I'm not gonna bother with warhammer.  It plays a lot like WoW.  I know that comment will bother a lot of people but that's the way I see it and I refuse to sugarcoat anything.  If you've played WoW you're getting pretty much the same thing, with different graphics and an orientation toward pvp more so then most of the games out there now.  The part I liked about my beta experience was the abundance of humor.  I place a high value on humor in everything I do so naturaly I enjoyed that aspect.  I had high hopes when the announcements went out about Warhammer being put out as an MMO but as time went on I lost most if not all of my interest it.  I used to visit their forums and check out the WAR herald but I've stoped.  I might check it out now and again just so that I can see Paul Barnet be very animated and enthusiastic but that's about as far as I go.

Once again, I won't be playing it as it is now.  They have taken the beta down for a while so that they can rework some aspects of the game, I think it's a bit too late but we'll see.  I won't hold my breath. 

that's my 2 cents

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Montenagro

Very true.  Even around launch most of the folks that played DAoC played it because they thought EQ sucked monkey nuts.  Those that have stuck with it did so for the RvR, not the PvE. 

To OP.  For me there were three main things:

1. You can level purely through PvP, or by a mix of PvP and PvE.  I thought it was great fun to bop over to the battlegroudns and do a level or two that way when I got bored with questing and grinding.  And when you get a new set of shinies from the PvE game, of course the first thing you want to do is hit a battelground and stab someon in the face with it.

2. The variety of PvP options, and the depth (scouting, seige engines, keep taking, Darkness falls, ect.).

3. There is actually a point to it.  You can open up content or meaningfull bonuses for your realm through PvP.  When a guild manages to lock down one or two important relics for their realm for weeks on end, that is some serious bragging rights.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

Originally posted by Illius

I've ues my friends beta account and from what I saw, I'm not gonna bother with warhammer.  It plays a lot like WoW.  I know that comment will bother a lot of people but that's the way I see it and I refuse to sugarcoat anything.  If you've played WoW you're getting pretty much the same thing, with different graphics and an orientation toward pvp more so then most of the games out there now.  The part I liked about my beta experience was the abundance of humor.  I place a high value on humor in everything I do so naturaly I enjoyed that aspect.  I had high hopes when the announcements went out about Warhammer being put out as an MMO but as time went on I lost most if not all of my interest it.  I used to visit their forums and check out the WAR herald but I've stoped.  I might check it out now and again just so that I can see Paul Barnet be very animated and enthusiastic but that's about as far as I go.
    Once again, I won't be playing it as it is now.  They have taken the beta down for a while so that they can rework some aspects of the game, I think it's a bit too late but we'll see.  I won't hold my breath. 
    that's my 2 cents

Well, they just delayed WAR until Fall 2008 or something crazy like that.  So even if you thought it was going to be better than <insert lewd and/ or drug reference>, I think you'd be pretty dumb to sit around twiddling your thumbs until it comes out.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

A lot of WAR=WOW monkeys in here. I don't care if WAR looks like, plays like, "feels" like or even smells like WOW as long as the RvR is implemented well. WOW is a smooth, intuitive UI and game model. Couple that with meaningful PvP and questing system and I'll be happy. WAR PvP can't be worse than WOW without being removed completely.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

Originally posted by Dreadlich

I don't care if WAR looks like, plays like, "feels" like or even smells like WOW as long as the RvR is implemented well. WOW is a smooth, intuitive UI and game model. Couple that with meaningful PvP and questing system and I'll be happy. WAR PvP can't be worse than WOW without being removed completely.

Actually I'll second that.  Give me a game as well executed as WoW but with PvP a sane human could possibly give a crap about, and I'm on board.

As an aside,  the irony of WAR = WoW <---- Warcraft PC game = Warhammer minatures game, for the PC seems to elude many.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by Yeebo

Originally posted by Dreadlich

I don't care if WAR looks like, plays like, "feels" like or even smells like WOW as long as the RvR is implemented well. WOW is a smooth, intuitive UI and game model. Couple that with meaningful PvP and questing system and I'll be happy. WAR PvP can't be worse than WOW without being removed completely.

Actually I'll second that.  Give me a game as well executed as WoW but with PvP a sane human could possibly give a crap about, and I'm on board.

As an aside,  the irony of WAR = WoW <---- Warcraft PC game = Warhammer minatures game, for the PC seems to elude many.

I don't think most of the WAR=WOW crowd ever bothered playing a tabletop game, pen & paper RPG or adult level boardgame. I suppose they'd say Warhammer/40k RTS = Warcraft/Starcraft too.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online