Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what's the overall consensus?

So I'm looking for an MMO to get settled in and Vanguard has caught my eye. Unfortunately the opinions on this game are extremely mixed. I've seen they have fixed a lot and people returning are enjoying it for the most part. Of course I don't want to join a game that has already failed and most likely wont be getting back in the spotlight. None of the upcoming MMO's look impressive to me at all really. Maybe AOC but I'm not holding my breath.

I haven't really enjoyed an mmo since Anarchy Online was populated.  I played GW for a good while also but I'm not into everything being an instance.

What's the population like in vanguard at the moment? Is it barren? Can it be soloed for the most part? I don't like having to rely on groups to get things done.

Anyone know why EB has the box for 19.99 and the digital download is like $50??

Comments

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

The population is ok after the server merges.

The game is easily soloable, i play as a ranger and rarely group. agreed i am only level 31 at the moment but that's mainly because i dont grind, i tend more to explore :) there is a trial being worked on at the moment and is due around christmas so if your not sure friend maybe wait till then! if spending the cash doesn't hurt too much then pop onto the halgar server and give Tuor a mmessage and ill give a few tips to ease you into the game friend.

• haterhater Member Posts: 27

It is great you should buy it today!

• xtwizxxtwizx Member Posts: 36

anyone know what's up with the price difference between box and DL?

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927
    Originally posted by hater

It is great you should buy it today!

LoL, that is mean...

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by xtwizx

anyone know what's up with the price difference between box and DL?
    The game had a less than successful launch, and even now after many months of patching and bug fixes, the game, to a degree, still lacks the polish that it should have had at launch.  That, and the system requirements in order to play the game put it out of a lot of people's reach to be able to run the game without encountering what is best described as problems.  Problems that still exisit for many even today.

I have seen the collectors edition of the game in some places for $20, pick that up if you can find it for that price.  The artbook and soundtrack are worth it, but the game will never see the light of day on my PC again.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

I played beta and for about a month or two after launch. 

As I was still paying all along (due to paying for All-access Station Accounts), I decided this weekend to give it another shot... I dug out my DVDs, reloaded the game and patched (took about 3 hours because it kept refusing to believe it patched the first time or two it completed and insisted on repatching ... no other explanation available -- it didn't say why).   In either case, I finally get in.   On one of four accounts, I find I got two of my favorite characters on a strange server with an '11' tacked onto the end of the name.  Not too happy, so I check another account.  That one has 4 characters with ''11" tacked on.  Upset, I decide log one in anyways.  I walk around the bank I camped out in, check my email, check my bank -- I am broke (had a house -- figure it took all my money before I lost it).  I am impressed by my graphics (better even then EQII-- at least in terms of shininess), but look out at the world and decide I am bored.  I logged out.

I think it is the server change and the forced name changes that ruined my first attempt at a return.  Didn't take much I admit.  Will I be back?  Maybe in another year when all my characters are tacked as deserters.

Game is dead for me.  Is the game is alive for others?   The dead just don't care.

• lumiolumio Member Posts: 44

its mixed because the way people see it are mixed. Some see it from afar and so they see it through the headlines, some see it through when they played it in beta or the first month or so, and some see it through having played it currently and see all the updateds and fixes.

So some dont have the right view so they say it sucks becuase in their eyes it does, what they dont know is that its changed. Only if some one has played it in the past month or so should you take thier word on it. So if they played it last month and said it was bad, then you can take it into consideration

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

I think for now you will really enjoy the game, and there really is no need to feel rushed. Might want to wait till the trial isle comes out, withthat will come more bug fixes and high end content.

I came back to VG after quitting the first month, re-rolled and I have been having a rly rly rly nice time.

I play all ghame

seradon and xeth server were both at medium population at 1:30 in the monring my time, population, crafting, and overall grouping and teamwork has gotten much much better

I play all ghame

Originally posted by Uproar

As I was still paying all along (due to paying for All-access Station Accounts), I decided this weekend to give it another shot... I dug out my DVDs, reloaded the game and patched (took about 3 hours because it kept refusing to believe it patched the first time or two it completed and insisted on repatching ... no other explanation available -- it didn't say why).   In either case, I finally get in.   On one of four accounts, I find I got two of my favorite characters on a strange server with an '11' tacked onto the end of the name.  Not too happy, so I check another account.  That one has 4 characters with ''11" tacked on.  Upset, I decide log one in anyways.  I walk around the bank I camped out in, check my email, check my bank -- I am broke (had a house -- figure it took all my money before I lost it).  I am impressed by my graphics (better even then EQII-- at least in terms of shininess), but look out at the world and decide I am bored.  I logged out.
    I think it is the server change and the forced name changes that ruined my first attempt at a return.  Didn't take much I admit.  Will I be back?  Maybe in another year when all my characters are tacked as deserters.
    Game is dead for me.  Is the game is alive for others?   The dead just don't care.

I dont think many people had that problem. And I dont know anything about forced name changes. I still had all my money and items when i came back.

I play all ghame

• corechambercorechamber Member UncommonPosts: 148

I preordered the game and quit after the free month, but have just returned, played for about 2 week and I am loving it.  I only quit because the game had bad memory leaks and would crash alot.  I dont crach now.  The game has come along way, alot to see and do. Plus I cant wait to start crafting ships, just having so much fun adventuring I dont have anytime to get my crafting up.

• LoothurLoothur Member Posts: 120

First off, the game is what it is....

1. a Brad McQaid (spelling) venture bought by SoE and fixed. 
    2. The original design and concept was ground breaking. 
    3. The actually implementation in beta and release was horrible.
    4. The game was released a year before it should have been
    5. Sigil went broke and sold the game to Sony Online Entertainment
    6. A lot of people got really mad at the game because of the broken promises and having to put up with a really bad game at release
    7. Since Sony Online Entertainment took over, they have put out 3 major game updates, fixed a ton of bugs, improved the performance by leaps and bounds, and added new content
    8. There is no free trial (but it is in development and hopefully will be in by the end of the year for their rerelease they have planned)
    9. As mentioned in #8, Sony Online Entertainment is planning a rerelease of the game to reintroduce people to the Vanguard of SoE as aposed to the Vanguard of Sigil
    10. There is no raid content in the game but it is on the test server right now (there is a complete dungeon packed full of raid content as well as some over land raid encounters on the test server right now.  This content is slated to be released to live in game update 3.2 and 3.3)

Will the game run good on your system?  Here's a good example of a computer setup that will run Vanguard very nicely.  Compare it to your system.

1. Intel Core 2 Duo cpu
    2. 2gb of system ram
    3. GeForce 8600 512mb pciexpress video card

Yes.  All three of those parts of your computer play a factor in a game as advanced as Vanguard.  A dual core cpu or better makes a huge difference.  A minimum of 2gb of system ram is HIGHLY advised.  The GeForce 79xx, 86xx, and 88xx video cards run the game very nicely.  The more video ram you have the better.

If your system is completely out of date and it is not worth it to upgrade all the pieces to get a Vanguard-ready pc, then here is a price breakdown of what you can expect to pay to build one new:

1. Grab a Dell Optiplex 745 with at least a Core 2 Duo CPU off the Dell Outlet store.  These are refurbished, scratched/dented, or previously ordered but cancelled order machines.  If you watch them daily, you can pick one up for around $550 easily
    2. Go to some place like Newegg.com and you can pick up 2gb of 667mhz  memory for around $150 or less (depending on the brand)
    3. While you are there, pick up a GeForce 8600GTS PCIexpress video card for around $150 (again depends on the brand)

Roughly we are talking around $900 to have a brand new computer that will run Vanguard very nicely.  Not nearly the bank breaking expense that some people would have you believe it costs to have a Vanguard-ready computer.

As for the game play, think of EQ1 with EQ2 graphics on steroids.  Yeah.. that more or less sums it up.

Loothur VonRichten
    Wood Elven Ranger of the Florendyl RP Server

• JagerMichaelJagerMichael Member Posts: 181

Originally posted by Loothur

First off, the game is what it is....

a Brad McQaid (spelling) venture bought by SoE and fixed. 
    The original design and concept was ground breaking. 
    The actually implementation in beta and release was horrible.
    The game was released a year before it should have been
    Sigil went broke and sold the game to Sony Online Entertainment
    A lot of people got really mad at the game because of the broken promises and having to put up with a really bad game at release
    Since Sony Online Entertainment took over, they have put out 3 major game updates, fixed a ton of bugs, improved the performance by leaps and bounds, and added new content
    There is no free trial (but it is in development and hopefully will be in by the end of the year for their rerelease they have planned)
    As mentioned in #8, Sony Online Entertainment is planning a rerelease of the game to reintroduce people to the Vanguard of SoE as aposed to the Vanguard of Sigil
    There is no raid content in the game but it is on the test server right now (there is a complete dungeon packed full of raid content as well as some over land raid encounters on the test server right now.  This content is slated to be released to live in game update 3.2 and 3.3)

Will the game run good on your system?  Here's a good example of a computer setup that will run Vanguard very nicely.  Compare it to your system.

Intel Core 2 Duo cpu
    2gb of system ram
    GeForce 8600 512mb pciexpress video card

Yes.  All three of those parts of your computer play a factor in a game as advanced as Vanguard.  A dual core cpu or better makes a huge difference.  A minimum of 2gb of system ram is HIGHLY advised.  The GeForce 79xx, 86xx, and 88xx video cards run the game very nicely.  The more video ram you have the better.
    If your system is completely out of date and it is not worth it to upgrade all the pieces to get a Vanguard-ready pc, then here is a price breakdown of what you can expect to pay to build one new:

Grab a Dell Optiplex 745 with at least a Core 2 Duo CPU off the Dell Outlet store.  These are refurbished, scratched/dented, or previously ordered but cancelled order machines.  If you watch them daily, you can pick one up for around $550 easily
    Go to some place like Newegg.com and you can pick up 2gb of 667mhz  memory for around $150 or less (depending on the brand)
    While you are there, pick up a GeForce 8600GTS PCIexpress video card for around $150 (again depends on the brand)

Roughly we are talking around $900 to have a brand new computer that will run Vanguard very nicely.  Not nearly the bank breaking expense that some people would have you believe it costs to have a Vanguard-ready computer.
    As for the game play, think of EQ1 with EQ2 graphics on steroids.  Yeah.. that more or less sums it up.

Great post. Everything there is spot on.

I just returned to the game after playing for a month when it launched and it seems leaps and bounds better. The crafting system alone is worth trying this game if you like that sort of thing.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I hope some of the comments about signifigant solo content being added are true.That .....and I hope fixing/improving crafting comes along as well.( I like many others played in beta and 3-4 month after launch and left angry and feeling ripped off) I am stil looking for a mmog to play.

Originally posted by Arawon

I hope some of the comments about signifigant solo content being added are true.That .....and I hope fixing/improving crafting comes along as well.( I like many others played in beta and 3-4 month after launch and left angry and feeling ripped off) I am stil looking for a mmog to play.

There is plenty of solo content in Vanguard.  But, if you want to get in to the dungeons and do the quests involved there-in, you will have to group.  Dungeons in Vanguard are tooned for groups.

Granted, you can wait and do some dungeons way after you are too high to get experience from them, and then you would be able to solo them.

The point is, in Vanguard dungeons are meant for grouping and over-land content is meant for soloing.  As such, it is 100% possible to solo from level 1 to 50.  Will you miss out on some of the coolest content in the game if you never group?  Yes.  There are some truely amazing dungeons in Vanguard, and you would be doing yourself a great disservice to not experience them at least once.

Loothur VonRichten

• gavin2050gavin2050 Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Uproar

Most of your problems are from the server merge.  All houses were torn down and placed on the housing escrow vendor, any housing maintiance balance at the time of the merge was refunded and mailed to the newest character on the account.  (As all mail has an 18 day timer there's a good chance that these funds are long gone.)  Also, if your upkeep balance was negitave for 4 weeks in a row your house is torn down and all materials are lost, so depending on the ballance in your housing maintance when you stoped playing this may have been the case as well.

As to your name issue there were several factors involved that determined how duplicate names were handled from multiple servers.  Last log-in was considered during the merge and somone from another server got to keep "your" names.  If you petition a GM ingame they will however change your name to another one of your choosing, assuming of course it's not already taken.

Sorry to hear your problems ruined coming back for you, but how the server merges were to go down was made very clear to anyone who chose to pay attention.  Such is life when we ignore things.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

If you like crafting, its ok I guess. You can build ships and stuff, that's pretty cool.

If you are a pure pve'er and like running quests and dungeons for no better reason than to get better gear so you can wait for the next dungeon to be created so you can do it all over again...then its a decent game.

If your computer is on life support...get something else. If its fairly current, the graphics are cool.

Some of the classes are fun. You can get mounts at a low level.

Um..that's all the good things I can say about this game.

D.

• xtwizxxtwizx Member Posts: 36

Just got back from gamestop, it's installing now.

Computer specs are not a problem. I run a 6600 @2.4  4gb ram and a 8800gtx with about a TB of hd space.

Originally posted by xtwizx

Just got back from gamestop, it's installing now.
    Computer specs are not a problem. I run a 6600 @2.4  4gb ram and a 8800gtx with about a TB of hd space.

If you are running Vista, be sure to get the Vista driver fixes for the 8800.  Vista is a whole nother can of worms for games.

Loothur VonRichten

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

I'll probably try it again and make some new toons in the next few weeks now that I have it loaded... assuming Kunark doesn't sweep me away for a full year like I hope it will.

• NnyanNnyan Member UncommonPosts: 42

I had such high hopes for this game (was in beta)  to no avail.  Now some people may go back after their first try, but thats not me.