Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kids attracted - Nudity Ingame

It seems what Funcom was trying to do to force a mature player base has backfired, now the game will be overrun with kids.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

Comments

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

You mean the kids that are the biggest chunk of MMO players out there? Thank You captain obvious. When are people gonna realize its not the MMO, WoW made the market this way, its not gonna change.

• SilverPhenixSilverPhenix Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by outlaw101

It seems what Funcom was trying to do to force a mature player base has backfired, now the game will be overrun with kids.

Yes, yes I see now. Of course, why did I not accept this in light of such overwhelming evidence?! You sure have convinced me, Outlaw101. Gash-darned!

Now playing: City of Heroes/Villains, Age of Conan

Played: Eve, Hg:L, Vanguard, WoW, FFXI, Planetside, Neocron, Battlezone, EQII, AO, CoX, AA, DDO

I win at Vanguard.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

Most gamers are over 18, and you need some sort of credit card to play, and presumably need to be over 18 to buy any game time cards, if there will be any. And, this game will no doubt be marketed as a 18+ game, like its a feature. So even if a parent is oblivious and puts the kid on the game with their card they would figure it out eventually.

So, why they may be attracted to the game, theres no way in hell the game will be anywhere close to "overrun with kids" IF ANYTHING, out of all the M rated and 18+ games out there, this will be the HARDEST one for minors to get to.

• GundaharGundahar Member Posts: 25

If there are kids playing this game then the only one you can blame is the parents. Im a parent myself, granted my daughter is only 2 but by no means should any parent allow their son/daughter to grab their credit card and play this MMO.  I dont think Funcom added nudity to the game to promote a older crowd but rather create a more raw and realistic game. Honeslty their are a dozen or so threads about this issue and I am sick of seeing it. So the game shows some boobies... Wow!! I think people need to spend less time on their computer games and more time in a social eviroment. Maybe the mass majority of people creating these threads would be less shocked if they got a little more action outside their computers.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

And kids will see blood on TV anyway.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

same kids will get bored and leave once they realise their movie channel shows more boobs and violence for free

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

This kind of thing is bound to happen, there are plenty of very mature kids in their teens, just as there are alot who are obnoxious pains in the ass. :P  a PC game where sex and violence runs rampant is bound to attract all sorts of idiots. I doubt this game will be any different in community than other popular MMORPG's.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

You know the average age of an MMO player is 26?

The problem is peoples obcession with the annoyance that is the FEW loud mouthed childish 20 year olds they call, KIDS.

WAKE UP.    There are going to be FAR FAR FAR more 18+ then  -18 Players.     What AoC does, or does NOT do won't make a difference.   They've done what they are in control  of,  the Rating.   They made it mature,  so parents that give a crap can keep their children away, but  in the digital age,  an MMO is a cheaper baby sitter then the teenager down the street.   Sorry Age of Conan cannot fix societies problems.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I am a true elite gaming warrior, and I do not fear these foul creatures called "children"

Let em come, I'll be ready to fend off their vile attacks..... 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TmacattackTmacattack Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Valentina

This kind of thing is bound to happen, there are plenty of very mature kids in their teens, just as there are alot who are obnoxious pains in the ass. :P  a PC game where sex and violence runs rampant is bound to attract all sorts of idiots. I doubt this game will be any different in community than other popular MMORPG's.

I strongly disagree, if anything the realistic graphics and gritty violence will make parents more aware of their kids games. A parent will buy a video game for a kid usually no problem, I remember myself when I was growing up, my dad didn't even see the M rating, but you can't turn off the moniter every time you chop someones head off, or impale them with a big pointy stick.

Another nice feature of it is, if the high pitched kids try to buy it at lets say Wal-mart, Cashiers usually would say no, your not old enough, and well let's face the other half, I don't see many 14 year olds with credit cards.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by outlaw101

IT'S ALL SO CLEAR NOW!!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• BealzagreBealzagre Member Posts: 42

*sigh* In this day in age...and this fits western culture(America) the most...violence in film and television passes, without so much as a "na." However....show so much as a side-boob, and you'll have people with pitch forks and torches. Now, do anything related to movie-level violence, and even a slight bit of sexually-related content in a video game, and suddenly they are devices to corrupt children. I've seen worse on television, in terms of violence, than Grand Theft Auto, and yet that game was attacked on every angle. Well, shifty politicians aside, mass media never attacked the right source...parents.

People go off on rants saying "It teaches our kids how to kill!" The killing in most every video game is horridly far from reality, so it teaches nothing, and, you know, if a child was raised the right way, they would not be stupid enough to allow a video game to affect how they think and act; no offense, of course. So, parents need to speak to their children about right and wrong, teach them, no matter how little time they have or how many jobs they work, and read the video game boxes. After that, if the child still goes wrong, then it is no longer the parent's fault...and it is, also, not the game's fault. At that point, it is the child's fault. Blame the right sources; people.

• OculitusOculitus Member Posts: 203

This topic has been beaten beyond death.  It is now a bloody puree with little red chunks of matter scattered within it.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Is there a reason why people deem it nessessairy to shield kids from nudity? Do we like going through life pretending that the first 18 years of their lives sex doesnt exist. Censorship is just a waste of time.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

In my opinion, as long as the kid is 13+ They should already know what the word SEX means, and know what it is.

I have been playing rated M games since I was 9 years old, nothing with nude's, but check this out.

#1 You do not have to be 18 to get a credit card.

#2 You can go over to any store, and by a gift card with your allowance, or money, or lie to dumb parents and say  Ineed $40 for christmas, and $20 a month after that for this great game, show them a game, and then on, your parents when you go shopping, you can pick up what is called a Prepaid Visa card, and use them for subscription's, although you have to change it all the time it still works.

Its easy to get a video game rated M, If you parent's, and you, or a firend are like going over to a close nearby video game store, then you have the money, you can buy it, or have an older brother buy it for you, or a sister, as well as parents, ect. 

IF you are alone, and they allow you to go out with your friends, and you dont want them to know such as a ps2 game, or xbox360, then you can go over to your local store, buy a visa giftcard, which has no name on it, or anything, and order the game online no questions asked, and then have it delivered while your parents arent home, or put a time frame on it so it wont come when your parents are home, also you could simply if they ask you to check the mail take it and hide it, they would never find out about it, as long as they arent watching you play all the time, and just learn to turn it off really fast if they pop their head in your door, I mean you can hear your parents walking up most of the time before they would open your door, or they turn the door knob wouldnt you?

I have been subscribed to services, starting with sony, since I was 9 years old, even without parents knowing about it.

But however, if the game company bans people under the age of 18 I got 3 sugguestions.

#1 You have to lie about age to everyone in game, and out of game.

#2 If game requires voice chat Use a Voice Changer Program.

#3 Never Trust anyone with your real age, in the game.

#4 Finally Never give out personal Info, even to the company, besides the registration Information, and never give out your account name or password.

#5 Learn TO ALT + TAB really quick when you parents walk in, if they dont know about it, Or hit the power button, or Alt + F4 Realyl fast, it works wonders.

#6 Bypassing parental software = Easy & works wonders.

Here is the real Truth, & My Opinion

KIDS Learn to Disrespect their parents on everything today, because of the way school's let kids break rules, never listen to kids that get picked on, and lied on, and just because 3 friends lie on one students, the other one gets detention or ISS, and thats what has lead to 2-3 school shooting's recently.

Also Its better for a kid to learn What drug deals are, and see them in movies, as well as what sex is at the teen's, and what Killing is like, becuase if they know how to kill, as well as what the conquences are, they will be less likely to do it when they are older.

When I used to go to school, in Elementry, they would hold school thing's, like ANTI Drugs, and say now kids, DONT DO Drugs, but what good is it with them saying, dont do drugs, when you dont even know what drugs can do to you, besides they say they are bard, the kids dont know what they actually do to the human body, so if they never learned early on, because of parents keeping them from learning about it at an early age, and conquences for them  and drug dealing, then the bad new's is once they hit 18 + they will most likely try them, and get hooked, just like smoking, and BEER.

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Boobs?

Who the fuck cares about boobs or nudity?

I would be much more worried, if my kids would be playing violent games like Age of Conan.

If there are so immature adults that they don't care what their kids are doing - it really doesn't matter for those kids does AoC have boobs. Game companies are not raising childrens - adults are.

You can't create idiot/immature free MMORPG - majority of humans are immatture and idiotic.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

•  

Originally posted by rav3n2

You mean the kids that are the biggest chunk of MMO players out there? Thank You captain obvious. When are people gonna realize its not the MMO, WoW made the market this way, its not gonna change.

Thread over.

Really though, it has been said plenty of times before but most of you people don't seem to want to admit it: There can't be any more kids playing MMOs. They're already here.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

While I may not agree with the way that Funcom has presented aspects of the game, I've got to believe that Erling said it best.

Thanks to several other posters in this thread for constructive constructive criticism. Personally I've read it all and I know many of the other developers will do the same. While we wouldn't necessarily all agree on it (and I'm sure you would find disagreement within the team as well -- we are all human beings), we appreciate that you put a spotlight on these things as long as it is done in a constructive manner.

I'll not go into the lore debate -- I'm not one of the designers on the team -- but I do want to comment on how Funcom tries to show how Age of Conan is a mature title when we do demonstrations.

I certainly understand that some people think it's a case of "shooting yourself in the foot" when you talk about female nudity to make a case on the game's level of maturity. However, nudity is an important ingredient when selling the game's mature theme and it is one of the best ways of showing it during a short demonstration in front of people who are not already familiar with the game. Most if not all MMOs out there right now have little to no nudity, and we really want to hammer home the fact that we have it in Age of Conan. It is a central element of the lore, so it's only natural for us to for instance show off the bare breasted succubus, even though it might be interpreted as a "haha, look, boobies!" sort of thing. It is, of course, not.

The fact that Age of Conan has a mature world is something we really want to point out to people when they first see and hear about the game. People are so used to elves, fairies and teen rated MMOs now, and we're very proud of the fact that we're aiming for a mature rating. That's why we bring up subjects such as nudity, heavy drinking, pirates urinating, heads flying etc. The danger of all this is that it might come across as immature, and we might have to be more careful on how we word ourselves in future demonstrations.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you guys and girls have seen hundreds of different demonstrations, and when you see the succbus breasts being pointed out for the one hundredth time, I am sure it gets very old. But for people who has not seen the game yet, who is used to playing other MMOs, that "ingredient" right there is enough to put a bit of a shock into them and to really underline the point that we're trying to do something different here. There are of course plenty of other things in there that makes Age of Conan a mature game -- the level of violence, the quest themes, the conversations etc. -- but right then and there , during these short demonstrations, that bit of nudity really sends the message home. We will, of course, try and show you more of how the maturity is reflected in the game.

Again, thanks for all the constructive criticism. Keep it coming, but be nice!

I seriously doubt that just because it has mature sexual themes in it that it will be the reason kids are attracted to it over another game because they are scrambling to the MMO they can see T&A.  If they want to see T&A online there are gazillion pr0n sites on the web, why subscribe to a game for that purpose.  Not buying the argument.  Kids are overwhelmed with options to see adult material for free.  If this were true I think platforms like Second Life would be overrun with kids and there is no indication this is the case. 

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120

I can't wait for this game to come out so I can beat my meat. The current internet offerings of all the most sub-human, deprived and twisted content don't do it for me.

AoC is where it is at.

• GunnerManGunnerMan Member Posts: 16

This is my opinion but why has nudity become such a bad thing. Maybe kids today would not be sex crazed animals if seein a breast was not such a big deal. A breast pops out on tv, for most you could hardly make it out yet the news covered it and replayed it for weeks like this breast was about to eat every little kid alive. I don't really understand why people think it is so bad for their child to see the other sexes body parts. Some culters wear nothing but a tube around their penis, their kids see mom and dad and everyone else full on nude. It's just as common as us wearing clothes and it dosen't bother them.

I can understand you dont want your kid to see some girl get banged by 3 guys on the internet but a woman(or man) naked just standing there. Is it really that bad? Look at cigaretes or lottery tickets. Most kids when they are 15-17 cant wait to hit 18 when they can buy a lottery ticket, smoke a cigarete etc. When they turn 18 and they CAN do it they don't. The appeal of it wears off. They find it's not such a big deal.

So do you think if a 5 year old kid was brought up and knew what the body parts were there would be such a lust for the hidden?

I don't know but I think this thought that your child will be hurt or damaged by seeing a breast is wrong, not only wrong but ass backwards. It causes wonder and want, the wonder will lead to your kid seeing what is hidden and not in the way you would prefer. He will see it on the internet or TV not as a women(or man) possing for an educational clip. No it will be woman getting banged my multiple men in multiple places. Put your locks on the tv and internet, it wont matter he will see it on his friends iPhone at school or on his friends PC at home. Your only kidding yourself. Do an experiment go to this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Weibliche-brust.jpg...... just look at it, its a breast. Nothing special, its a lump of fat with a nipple. Not that interesting. Now if you were to partially cover her breast with some cloth or something and make it sexually suggestive then it becomes more than a breast. it becomes of object of want and desire.

Just my little 2 cents. so don't get your panties in a bunch if you disagree. You can just say yeah I disagree and go on your way. Im open for discussion but I have NEVER seen a civilised discussion on an open board. It's the internet "anything goes" and people let their inner imaturity go wild. This post is for those that have more self control than that...

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I was raised in Europe as a kid and then ended up moving to Canada.  Back in Europe this kind of issue would barely raise an eyebrow, but here people make a big deal out of it.  It's less of a big deal then in the US but it's not as free as back home.  I've seen plenty of boobs and I don't think it's a big deal.  I like boobs by the way.  I think they're nice in many ways but I'm not going to start a shitstorm because some game has pixels arranged to look like a boob.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• EichenkatzeEichenkatze Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by GunnerMan

This is my opinion but why has nudity become such a bad thing. Maybe kids today would not be sex crazed animals if seein a breast was not such a big deal. A breast pops out on tv, for most you could hardly make it out yet the news covered it and replayed it for weeks like this breast was about to eat every little kid alive. I don't really understand why people think it is so bad for their child to see the other sexes body parts. Some culters wear nothing but a tube around their penis, their kids see mom and dad and everyone else full on nude. It's just as common as us wearing clothes and it dosen't bother them.
    I can understand you dont want your kid to see some girl get banged by 3 guys on the internet but a woman(or man) naked just standing there. Is it really that bad? Look at cigaretes or lottery tickets. Most kids when they are 15-17 cant wait to hit 18 when they can buy a lottery ticket, smoke a cigarete etc. When they turn 18 and they CAN do it they don't. The appeal of it wears off. They find it's not such a big deal.
    So do you think if a 5 year old kid was brought up and knew what the body parts were there would be such a lust for the hidden?
    I don't know but I think this thought that your child will be hurt or damaged by seeing a breast is wrong, not only wrong but ass backwards. It causes wonder and want, the wonder will lead to your kid seeing what is hidden and not in the way you would prefer. He will see it on the internet or TV not as a women(or man) possing for an educational clip. No it will be woman getting banged my multiple men in multiple places. Put your locks on the tv and internet, it wont matter he will see it on his friends iPhone at school or on his friends PC at home. Your only kidding yourself. Do an experiment go to this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Weibliche-brust.jpg...... just look at it, its a breast. Nothing special, its a lump of fat with a nipple. Not that interesting. Now if you were to partially cover her breast with some cloth or something and make it sexually suggestive then it becomes more than a breast. it becomes of object of want and desire.
    Just my little 2 cents. so don't get your panties in a bunch if you disagree. You can just say yeah I disagree and go on your way. Im open for discussion but I have NEVER seen a civilised discussion on an open board. It's the internet "anything goes" and people let their inner imaturity go wild. This post is for those that have more self control than that...
    I wish more people in the world thought like you..

Sex is only 'bad' because of the pop culture. Nudity and sex is a sin. It leads to a circle of hell, and god does not condone it. You're vile and filthy if you practice it.

Right..

So if its so vile and filthy.. explain why its been around long before anyone reading this was around.. explain why all creatures human or other enact it.. and explain why it is required to continue the human race... because i'll tell you right now.. storks don't bring babies.

Its true, Sex CAN lead to obsession, negativity, and 'sinful' behavior if you will... but only because its so concealed and shrouded like Gunnerman suggested. Its a natural thing, infact its very natural and the only reason why it brings pleasure and urge is to keep the human race going.. if it were dull, boring, and emotionless the human race would be growing A LOT more slowly.. it'd be a chore not a recreation. Its not pleasurable and 'fun' because its a sin.. its a natural draw with pretty decorations to ensure it happens.

Its unfortunate that there are such things as rape and molestation in this world, yes.. but they're not due to sex.. there are almost 7 billion people on this world.. there are bound to be a few rotten apples, and ontop of that... making something out to be evil only entices wrong-doings. You take something pleasurable and enjoyable away from someone and tell them its evil and they'll give you the finger.. more 'sin'. We are human beings... we selfish and manipulative. We deceive and contort to our advantage.. but we're also understanding and intelligent.. so instead of blocking it out and making it a bad thing... educate and explain..

Then we won't have as much rape and unconsented molestation, people won't be so obsessed and it won't be dirty. Its a good thing, without it you nor I would never be here. Nor would your family, or your friends, or the human race.. we'd have died out on the first generation.

All the more power to FunCom for putting nudity in. Its a step forward. Nothing to be ashamed about..

Everquest - 2000 - '02
    Anarchy Online - '01-'02
    Earth and Beyond - '02-'04
    Star Wars Galaxies - '03-'06('07)
    World of Warcraft - '04-'07
    Age of Conan - '08 - shelved.
    -Waiting on-
    Star Trek Online
    SW: The Old Republic

• glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338

Originally posted by Eichenkatze

Originally posted by GunnerMan

I wish more people in the world thought like you..

Sex is only 'bad' because of the pop culture. Nudity and sex is a sin. It leads to a circle of hell, and god does not condone it. You're vile and filthy if you practice it.

Right..

So if its so vile and filthy.. explain why its been around long before anyone reading this was around.. explain why all creatures human or other enact it.. and explain why it is required to continue the human race... because i'll tell you right now.. storks don't bring babies.

Its true, Sex CAN lead to obsession, negativity, and 'sinful' behavior if you will... but only because its so concealed and shrouded like Gunnerman suggested. Its a natural thing, infact its very natural and the only reason why it brings pleasure and urge is to keep the human race going.. if it were dull, boring, and emotionless the human race would be growing A LOT more slowly.. it'd be a chore not a recreation. Its not pleasurable and 'fun' because its a sin.. its a natural draw with pretty decorations to ensure it happens.

Its unfortunate that there are such things as rape and molestation in this world, yes.. but they're not due to sex.. there are almost 7 billion people on this world.. there are bound to be a few rotten apples, and ontop of that... making something out to be evil only entices wrong-doings. You take something pleasurable and enjoyable away from someone and tell them its evil and they'll give you the finger.. more 'sin'. We are human beings... we selfish and manipulative. We deceive and contort to our advantage.. but we're also understanding and intelligent.. so instead of blocking it out and making it a bad thing... educate and explain..

Then we won't have as much rape and unconsented molestation, people won't be so obsessed and it won't be dirty. Its a good thing, without it you nor I would never be here. Nor would your family, or your friends, or the human race.. we'd have died out on the first generation.

All the more power to FunCom for putting nudity in. Its a step forward. Nothing to be ashamed about..

I couldn't possibly agree more.

• jonaylwardjonaylward Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Kyleran

I am a true elite gaming warrior, and I do not fear these foul creatures called "children"
    Let em come, I'll be ready to fend off their vile attacks..... 
    Years ago, I owned a book entitled "The Unattended Child's Cookbook"

Lots of yummy recipes for unattended children.

Of course, each recipe came with instructions at the bottom "If you are unable to locate an unattended child for use in this recipe, feel free to substitute a half pound of lean (veal/beef/pork*)", etc.

I think that's gonna be the kicker though...

A fair number of well-meaning, but somewhat computer illiterate parents will pony up the upfront money and pay for a subscription, but eventually, when they walk in on little Johnny (or Susie) propositioning a half naked hooker (and surely they will - and I point to the fact that *every* parent catches their child m*st*rb*t*ng at some point between their 12th and 18th birthdays as proof of my theory), the account'll get cancelled right quick.