Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single-Play?

LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274

I have searched around for some information on the SP part of Hellgate, but I can't really find much information, so I hope someone here could help :)

As far as I understand it will be possible to play Hellgate as a single-player game, just like it was possible to play through D2 as a single-player.

Is this true? Is there a SP option in this game, to play through the campaign home alone?

Will it be possible to play LAN with friends? I think I heard it would not be possible to play LAN, but I want to make sure.

If there is a SP option, will those reflect the options I have online? With this I mean, if I don't have a subscribtion, can I then only make 3 characters and will I have also have a smaller stash?

I know there is a difference in online play between free-play and subscription, but I wonder how those two versions will reflect on SP.

Please let me know, if I worded my questions ackward. It's late and I have run out of coffee ;)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

From what I read, there will be a single player. And from what I read, there will be no LAN. Only internet. And I also read that you will not be able to have subscription features offline, at least not all of them. I [i]heard[/i] about more character slots, but I can't confirm that.

• ProphetProphet Member Posts: 18

You can play through the game in SP mode without going online. You won't have any of the subscription options in offline play with the exception of unlimited characters. No LAN options are available. There really isn't any difference between offline play and online non-subscriber play in the gameplay department. All the combat zones are instanced for you alone, you just see all the toons in the stations. The real benefit of online play for non-subscribers is the ability to buy/sell/trade loot. Can really help you out for those stubborn slots that won't drop what you are looking for. If you just stick to offline play you may end up with a lot of gear you wish you could pass on to your other characters that you'll be forced to sell or breakdown. If you want to play with your friends you'll have to go online.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Originally posted by Prophet

You can play through the game in SP mode without going online. You won't have any of the subscription options in offline play with the exception of unlimited characters. No LAN options are available. There really isn't any difference between offline play and online non-subscriber play in the gameplay department. All the combat zones are instanced for you alone, you just see all the toons in the stations. The real benefit of online play for non-subscribers is the ability to buy/sell/trade loot. Can really help you out for those stubborn slots that won't drop what you are looking for. If you just stick to offline play you may end up with a lot of gear you wish you could pass on to your other characters that you'll be forced to sell or breakdown. If you want to play with your friends you'll have to go online.
    Which is exactly why I stopped my pre-ordered and now not sure about buying it at all.

SP is sad.  You cannot play on LAN, you cannot play with friends at home.  You cannot host your own little game unless you go thru the server provided by the developers and have them scan you hardware and insert real time ads on your screen.  Yes you might not care for that, but someone else may, and in my humble opinion, that is bad.

Charging for a server is not an issue for me.  If they provide services, and they want a fee, fair.  The spying around my PC thing is not well advertised, and don't tell me its in the EULA.  Many players are not lawyers, and deciphering the legal terms is a painful chore.

What is left for me now is a SP game that cost a full box, but only offering a watered down game.  Yes, I know that game on its watered down form can still be fun, and yes I know, I can play onlline without paying (but for what?) if I would let them install a scanning software and collect whatever they want (come on, why do I trust their pledge that they are not doing something harmful, I will not let a guy stab at my back b/c he promised he is only installing inspect repellers on my spine).

HGL, its now a real dialemma, should I buy or wait?

• LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274

Thanks for all the answers :)

Unfortunately this will probably mean I won't get the game. I would prefer to play SP and LAN, but if I can't get the extra stuff for SP, I don't think I want to bother.

I want the extra content and the extra classes, but even if I wanted to pay for it, I can't access it in SP.

Oh well, some other game will get my money :)

Happy gaming to you all and thanks again for the answers, they were very helpful.

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839

you know i just have to ask out of pure curiosity. But your on a MMORPG site, and are wanting SP. SOmething seems a bit off.

so the question is why?

• LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Prodigus

Originally posted by PureChaos

you know i just have to ask out of pure curiosity. But your on a MMORPG site, and are wanting SP. SOmething seems a bit off.
    so the question is why?

<Mod edit>

<Mod edit>
    --------
    To answer Purechaos:

Hellgate has been advertised as many things, a Single Player game is one of them. There has been many comparisons do Diablo2, which mostly was played as SP or LAN game.
    Many people question why Hellgate is here, on MMORPG.com, because not that many people see it as an MMORPG.
    This is why I ask to the SP part of Hellgate, even on an MMO site. Other sites that are not MMO oriented would probably have been better places to ask, at least I wouldn't have been called an idiot.

I hope that answered your question, Purechaos. Because lots of people are planning to play this game as SP, just check the other sites :)
  • EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

*edited*

• blaamblaam Member Posts: 111

Originally posted by Prodigus

Originally posted by PureChaos

so the question is why?

<Mod edit>

that not much different than speacking about a game like hellgate london in a MMORPG website you know ?