Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If LOTRO really has less then 500,000 accounts, who the hell voted it to be Game of the Year at the

Answer me, trolls! :)

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

Comments

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

What is GJ awards?

eqnext.wikia.com

• VosenVosen Member Posts: 102

The award was not based on how many subs a game has.

• kirschekirsche Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by matraque

What is GJ awards?

The Golden Joystick award, of course.

I suspect voters grew tired of voting for WoW year after year. It has already (deservingly) gained it's fair share of various "Game of the Year" awards.

And LOTR is a fresh, great game. "Second best" mmorpg, apparently. Not only did the people with accounts vote for them, probably a number of people who just admired Lord of the Rings from afar, or just didn't know who else to vote for, if it wasn't going to be WoW.

It's no surprise, really.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Vosen

Indeed - it is based on how many people actually vote on it. Why in the hell would anyone care to vote on it if he/she is not a subscriber? :)

So?:)

DB

• InfranticInfrantic Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by kirsche

What is GJ awards?

I suspect voters grew tired of voting for WoW year after year. It has already (deservingly) gained it's fair share of various "Game of the Year" awards.

And LOTR is a fresh, great game. "Second best" mmorpg, apparently. Not only did the people with accounts vote for them, probably a number of people who just admired Lord of the Rings from afar, or just didn't know who else to vote for, if it wasn't going to be WoW.

Totally agree, people grow tired of pressing that "WoW" button all the time, WoW has had it's day.. It's just not gonna win any "Game of the Year" anymore imho..

WAR - Retired
    AoC - Retired
    WoW - Retired
    Aion - Retired
    Waiting on... Who knows?

What is GJ awards?

Mind you, LOTRO won the "Game of the Year" award, _not_ the "Online Game of the Year". It was not competing against WOW in this area, but against all PC games !

Last year the winner was Oblivion... I am not even sure if WOW ever won this title or not?

DB

Originally posted by Vosen

Indeed - it is based on how many people actually vote on it. Why in the hell would anyone care to vote on it if he/she is not a subscriber? :)

So?:)

DB

I, for one, would, as I don't see any other games that are better, even tho I am still currently subscribed to WoW (Sadly). I think that lotro is just a fresher game and even tho you aren't subscribed to a game, you still might like it ? :p

WAR - Retired
    AoC - Retired
    WoW - Retired
    Aion - Retired
    Waiting on... Who knows?

Originally posted by Infrantic

What is GJ awards?

Totally agree, people grow tired of pressing that "WoW" button all the time, WoW has had it's day.. It's just not gonna win any "Game of the Year" anymore imho..

See my post above. It was not competing against wow, but against every single PC game.

DB

Originally posted by Infrantic

What is GJ awards?

See my post above. It was not competing against wow, but against every single PC game.

DB

Yeah I saw it.. After I posted mind you :p (Since I posted before you :D)

WAR - Retired
    AoC - Retired
    WoW - Retired
    Aion - Retired
    Waiting on... Who knows?

What is GJ awards?

Mind you, LOTRO won the "Game of the Year" award, _not_ the "Online Game of the Year". It was not competing against WOW in this area, but against all PC games !

Last year the winner was Oblivion... I am not even sure if WOW ever won this title or not?

DB

Ahhh I see what you mean. Still, I am not surprised that LOTRO won the GJ award. Personally, I did not vote for it, nor am I subscribed to it, but I am a huge LOTR anything fan, as long as it is true to Tolkien. I imagine there to be other gamers/LOTR lovers out there, and even if they aren't a HUGE fan, they would probably vote for it anyways.

Now, maybe it is not completely the game itself, but the name it carries that won that award. Would it have recieved as many votes if all the gameplay and graphics were the same, but the name of the game, races, places, and monsters were changed? I think not.

On top of that, LOTR has advertised well, and casual gamers and serious ones know what what it is. If people did not have a particular game they wanted to vote for, they would probably vote for the one with the most familiar name, no?

• s1mons1mon Member Posts: 13

So it is official that over 500,000 people have voted for this game? I don't follow these awards at all, and I have no clue how the process works.

Originally posted by s1mon

So it is official that over 500,000 people have voted for this game? I don't follow these awards at all, and I have no clue how the process works.

Hmmm, not necessarily. It is only official that it recieved more votes than any other PC game that the GJ award acknowledges.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

what a stupid post:( if the amount of votes received had anything to do with or was based on the number of subscribers lotro wouldn't have won.

• I never liked awards, they always seemed biast. 

Was one crapy year if LOTR was able to win best game award.

Originally posted by URMAKER

what a stupid post:( if the amount of votes received had anything to do with or was based on the number of subscribers lotro wouldn't have won.
    Exactly. It makes it obvious that all those subscriber number posts are totally pointless. Lotro is the game of the year- story is over.

Sorry if the irony of the whole post was lost on you!

DB

it wasn't lost on me old boy! look i can only imagine what it must be like to be one of the 175k people who play this game and constantly have to hear about how bad it is. i know that every once in a while you guys need to make a post like this and pray that people will say "you know what this game is amazing and you're not dumb for playing it" just to put yourself at ease. so stop doubting yourself for be a fanboy of a game that the majority see as silly and just enjoy the game.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

it wasn't lost on me old boy! look i can only imagine what it must be like to be one of the 175k people who play this game and constantly have to hear about how bad it is. i know that every once in a while you guys need to make a post like this and pray that people will say "you know what this game is amazing and you're not dumb for playing it" just to put yourself at ease. so stop doubting yourself for be a fanboy of a game that the majority see as silly and just enjoy the game.

great post

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

What must be even worse is to be a EQII or Vanguard player and watch LoTRO stomp all over those games in every way imaginable.

I miss DAoC

Yes, this is exactly how to interpret the Golden Joystick game of the year award.

I sense trouble in troll-land today... i consider a personalising tone as a sign of confusion and despair :)

DB

Yes, this is exactly how to interpret the Golden Joystick game of the year award.

I sense trouble in troll-land today... i consider a personalising tone as a sign of confusion and despair :)

DB

boy you sure are hung up on that gj award . it just falls in line with what i was saying about validating your reasoning for playing such a silly game... maybe not so much just playing it but playing and enjoying it.

Originally posted by Jackdog

What must be even worse is to be a EQII or Vanguard player and watch LoTRO stomp all over those games in every way imaginable.

i'll give you vanguard. to say that lotro "stomps" eq2 "in every way imaginable" is a little much. i know you've been trolling the eq2 forums promoting your game and slamming theirs but come on.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

I look at it like this....

The award isnt an accolade showing how good this game is but rather an indictment about how bad this year was.

being game of the year in '07 is like being the cleanest pair of soiled underwear.

Originally posted by Consequence

I look at it like this....
    The award isnt an accolade showing how good this game is but rather an indictment about how bad this year was.
    being game of the year in '07 is like being the cleanest pair of soiled underwear.

yea next year will be the year of the mmo. i've been looking to pick up a 2nd mmo and looks like there will be plenty of good ones to choose from.

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

I didn't really get a chance to see how the voting worked (heck, I'm not sure if I had ever heard of this award ), but I could offer up some ways a nominee could win an award WITHOUT being the most deserving nominee:

1)  People were allowed to vote more than once.  This would mean that, although you got the most "votes", say 500 people voting twice, you didn't have the largest amount of "individuals", say 750 people voting once, voting for you.  (like when fans used dialing machines to rig American Idol)

2)  Sponsors/organizers get to influence the vote.  If there aren't "official" regulations (regulators) of the vote, and the contest is meant to have commercial significance, you might see sponsors or organizers influence the vote before it's announced. So, the winner is the one that the people in charge like, not necessarily the voting public.  (the Spike TV game awards, and reality tv contests are good examples here).

3)  Vote tampering.  Also known as "Where'd those ballots go?".  I'm not so nieve as to think this doesn't still happen.  (See US elections, 1960, Iraqi elections mid-90's, etc.)

4)   Massive marketing.  Basically, those associated with the product do a better job of organizing votes for their candidate than everyone else.  So, the "best" may not win...just the won with the biggest bankroll or the biggest machine behind it.  (the Academy Awards still has this problem)

5)  Better organization.  Being the most organized of the nominees or candidates, making sure more of your voters, and less of theirs, get to the polls.  Can get shady, but isn't automatically "bad".  But, if you're wondering how it's POSSIBLE the BEST candidate might not win, this is one answer.  (in the modern age, this might equate to plastering the vote site on every forum associated with your product, as opposed to actually selling the product to the most amount of people)

6)  "Vote the whole column".  This is when someone shows up to vote for a nominee, then realizes there are tons of categories/positions on the ballot that they know nothing about.  They don't have the time to think about each vote, so they just vote for everyone in the group of their main choice.  In this scenario, the only real vote winner is the nominee that the voter came in for originally. (ex. voting for everyone in the Democratic party on the ballot)  In non-election terms, this could be as simple as picking the first nominee in each drop box in the categories you don't care about.  Again, not a ringing endorsement....you were just listed in the right spot.

7) Name recognition.  Sure, you don't REALLY know anything about the nominees, but you do RECOGNIZE a few of their names.  If you've heard about it, it must be good, right?  Often a culmination of other factors in this list (marketing, organization, etc.), but still, you aren't EXACTLY voting for the best, are you.  (All-Star ballots in most professional sports are a great example of this phenomena)

8)  Poor list.  The nominees/candidates don't really offer the best possible choices in the category.  Usually, it's due to a rule of some sort, like term limits or eligibilty periods.  Still, if the list doesn't have the two nominees everyone wants, and they still vote, you'll get second or third best winning the whole thing.  (ex. are too numerous:  Academy Awards, political elections, potential job applicants)

That's a pretty good list.  Again, I'm not saying this has ANYTHING to do with LotRO or it's vicotry at the GJ awards.  I haven't the slightest clue how that worked at all.  I just thought I'd list some ways someone/thing could win via voting, yet not be the truly best candidate.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

They probably 'donated' more to the awards ceromony than the other companies?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”