Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Vista handle this game?

Vista sucks. My computer has 4gm RAM and Vista almost takes up 50% of the RAM just running the OS without any other programs running.

Vista is the worst OS I've seen so far. It has more BS than XP, but with less ability. It comes with media players that can't play AVIs, there's less ability to control the audio options, I can't run half my programs to control my MP3 player, and there are all kinds of problems with 32-bit and 64-bit programs (Vista suggests running a 64-bit OS if you have lots of RAM, but always locks up if you DON'T have lots of RAM), there's no decent support for Vista, etc, etc.

Will I be able to play POTBS on Vista?

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

Comments

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

While I agree with you on Vista, we support it anyway.  In fact my new laptop came with it, sadly, and I demo PotBS on it.  So while I can't fix all the other problems Vista causes, at least PotBS won't add to them.

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

• mmonkeymmonkey Member Posts: 171

picked up leopard yesterday... so sweet.

potbs on bootcamped XP!!

Which brings up another OS question.  Any problems playing on Intel Macs? I've never heard of a gaming problem with bootcamp yet, (cuz it's running an actual windows OS and not an emulator) but I'd like to confirm that my rig is ready to fly when release day finally arrives.

• GormandYGormandY Member Posts: 411

Rick has spoken!

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

We don't officially support Intel Macs, but I know that Rusty's run it on one.  It's one of those things where we'll try to avoid doing anything stupid that keeps it from working, but we're not throwing resources at officially supporting it.

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

This is actually a "feature" of windows Vista called SuperFetch.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/superfetch.mspx

"SuperFetch

Windows SuperFetch enables programs and files to load much faster than they would on Windows XP–based PCs.

When you're not actively using your computer, background tasks—including automatic backup programs and antivirus scans—run when they will least disturb you. These background tasks can take up system memory space that your programs had been using. On Windows XP–based PCs, this can slow progress to a crawl when you attempt to resume work.

SuperFetch monitors which applications you use the most and preloads these into your system memory so they'll be ready when you need them. Windows Vista also runs background programs, like disk defragmenting and Windows Defender, at low priority so that they can do their job but your work always comes first."

You can disable this feature by stopping the service. If it helps you please let us know.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

I wouldnt recommend using Vista for another 6 months to a year atleast before it has been proper patched up and so forth.

• mmonkeymmonkey Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by RickSaada

We don't officially support Intel Macs, but I know that Rusty's run it on one.  It's one of those things where we'll try to avoid doing anything stupid that keeps it from working, but we're not throwing resources at officially supporting it.

Fair enough. If anything, it may not work through parallels. But I'll be totally surprised is bootcamped XP doesn't work.

Bootcamped Vista on the other hand... I'm not that brave.

• WolfheartIXWolfheartIX Member Posts: 21

Vista takes about 1 Gig of RAM if you run with everything on. Not 2.

I personally have had only a few problems with Vista 64 bit. My biggest problem is that it doesn't seem to remember folder settings very well. There's some sort of a bug there. For media I use KMPlayer. It allows you to play basically everything without installing a single codec and it has a million features to boot. All for free.

I've only tried WoW on Vista. It worked fine.

• choubabachoubaba Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Phos

Vista sucks. My computer has 4gm RAM and Vista almost takes up 50% of the RAM just running the OS without any other programs running.
    Vista is the worst OS I've seen so far. It has more BS than XP, but with less ability. It comes with media players that can't play AVIs, there's less ability to control the audio options, I can't run half my programs to control my MP3 player, and there are all kinds of problems with 32-bit and 64-bit programs (Vista suggests running a 64-bit OS if you have lots of RAM, but always locks up if you DON'T have lots of RAM), there's no decent support for Vista, etc, etc.
    Will I be able to play POTBS on Vista?

- Phos

me too

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Well, I run Vista with 1 gig of ram and the stress played almost perfectly on my laptop. A bit laggy in some high traffic areas, but that's to be expected given the nature of the test.

And Rick, I have a quick question regarding the playability sessions. Will NDA rules apply (18+)?

• WhipsWhips Member Posts: 12

I bought a new system with Vista as the OS.  I played with it for a few weeks before I finally wiped the computer and installed Windows XP instead.  Vista was just more trouble than it was worth imo.  However, the devs at FLS have stated that PotBS runs equally well on XP and Vista.

Best of luck to those who have and enjoy operating under Vista.  Perhaps I'm just not ready for it yet.  :)