Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jagex hires former PayPal CEO

I felt that this is too big for the RuneScape forum (no one ever goes there).

"Jagex appoints PayPal CEO to accelerate international growth

New CEO Geoff Iddison will drive the continued growth of RuneScape and bring new online games to market

UK, Cambridge, 23rd October, 2007 – Jagex Ltd, the online games developer, announced that Geoff Iddison, the former European CEO of PayPal, has joined the company as CEO. Iddison has extensive experience in leading international e-commerce-based businesses.

Iddison takes over from Constant Tedder, who will remain on the board of Directors. Iddison held the position of CEO of eBay-owned payments business PayPal Europe Ltd from August 2003, having originally led the first expansion of PayPal from its base in California. Geoff joined eBay in 2000 from Christies Inc. where he held the role of COO.

“I am very excited about joining Jagex. The company has built an amazing international playing community through the RuneScape game. The technology used to distribute the game and the incredible depth offered to anyone playing RuneScape makes Jagex a very different gaming company,” said Iddison. “Jagex's mantra is to offer fun, meticulously written and deep storyline-driven online games, at a price which offers unmatched value for money. This will continue to be the basis of the future strategy for the company.”

RuneScape has over 6 million regular players worldwide. The browser-based game has attracted popularity across the globe with strong subscriber communities in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Scandinavia. In addition, Jagex recently launched a new German-language version of RuneScape, packed with the same number of features that have made the English-language version so widely popular.

“I am delighted that Geoff has joined us. His track record in e-commerce will definitely help us achieve our next level of goals,” said Andrew Gower, Founder and Head of Game Development. “I, like the rest of Jagex, am excited about how Geoff will lead the business. There are many exciting projects in the pipeline and we can't wait to further improve our service and the games we offer.”

About Jagex Ltd

Jagex Ltd is an independent developer and publisher of online games headquartered in Cambridge, England, with over 400 employees. With proprietary graphics compression, game engine and network communication technologies; Jagex has proved its effectiveness with its most popular browser based game, RuneScape, with over 6 million active players of the game."

jagex.com/corporate/Press/pressRelease.ws

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

Comments

• LoGic_pLoGic_p Member Posts: 67

nice i like the game

sdfsdfsfdsdfsfd

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

They should spend that annual salary of the new CEO on CUSTOMER SERVICE.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Youre playing a flash game with 1million customers? What do you expect?

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• QazeQaze Member Posts: 247
    Originally posted by grimboj

Youre playing a flash game with 1million customers? What do you expect?

It's Java. Idiot. 

Qaze - Atheist, Nihilist, Sadist.
    WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

image Xfire= Qaze3000 - Add me if you're not a total retard.

• AristeaAristea Member Posts: 181

Watch out for agressive mods there, the word idiot might get you a ban pretty quick. Change it now, before the Americans wake up, Don't think they've got Europeans as mods.

Originally posted by Aristea

Watch out for agressive mods there, the word idiot might get you a ban pretty quick. Change it now, before the Americans wake up, Don't think they've got Europeans as mods.
    I guess Americans don't like hearing the truth then

No offence intended Yanks. Well, no offence intended to those with intelligence

WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

• AristeaAristea Member Posts: 181

Er..you probably just made it worse for yourself >_>

Er..you probably just made it worse for yourself >_>

hehehe...

WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

I read this on there site yesterday. I was thinking of posting it but then i thought nah =/.

Qaze, dont expect to find much of them with intelligence.

?

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Lol.

Yeah, I agree with the thing about Customer Support. But hey, there's five million players. It'd be pretty hard to get decent support for all of them.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

Originally posted by Llamster

Strange thing to say, considering that Jagex is a UK based company and all three of its offices are located in the UK.

Yeah, I agree with the thing about Customer Support. But hey, there's five million players. It'd be pretty hard to get decent support for all of them.

I started when there was around 2000 ppl, and left the game about 20 months ago, in all that time it just got worse and worse. The final straw was the automated responses about nothing I was having issues with. It was bad to begin with. Seriously though if CS picked up and the company looked liked it cared for the community things would of been better, although something tells me its too late for that now.

Strange thing to say, considering that Jagex is a UK based company and all three of its offices are located in the UK.

I started when there was around 2000 ppl, and left the game about 20 months ago, in all that time it just got worse and worse. The final straw was the automated responses about nothing I was having issues with. It was bad to begin with. Seriously though if CS picked up and the company looked liked it cared for the community things would of been better, although something tells me its too late for that now.

You must've been F2P. If you aren't a member, you're almost always going to get an automated message. I play RuneScape, and I only got a message from a real person once, and that was three weeks after I sent the query.

Jagex does care for the community. After all, that's where all the money comes from.

Your last sentence is bull. Of course it's never too late. Jagex makes a lot of money and is able to do a lot of things. However, they seem satisfied with the 105 customer support employees they have right now, and that's not a good thing.

• sparkyxsparkyx Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Qaze

Um yeah,no OFFENSE taken to some Euro who upholds the stereotype that we "yanks" have about them .Go get a toothbrush and some deodorant...assclown.Oh,and learn to spell.I am surprised that you spelled intelligence correctly.Those red lines underneath a word when typing mean you should invest in a dictionary.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

Originally posted by sparkyx

Um yeah,no OFFENSE taken to some Euro who upholds the stereotype that we "yanks" have about them .Go get a toothbrush and some deodorant...assclown.Oh,and learn to spell.I am surprised that you spelled intelligence correctly.Those red lines underneath a word when typing mean you should invest in a dictionary.

he's making fun of our president

ive got no problem with that, after visiting germany a few times, i really do realize that America is absolutely full of ignorant stuck up people.  If the US was a person we would be the rebellious jock high schooler who always is getting in fights to look cool

You must've been F2P. If you aren't a member, you're almost always going to get an automated message. I play RuneScape, and I only got a message from a real person once, and that was three weeks after I sent the query.

Jagex does care for the community. After all, that's where all the money comes from.

Your last sentence is bull. Of course it's never too late. Jagex makes a lot of money and is able to do a lot of things. However, they seem satisfied with the 105 customer support employees they have right now, and that's not a good thing.

Actually I was P2P pretty much from the start :) When I quit i was ranked 289th overall, I was only given 400 character spaces to explain my circumstance. I got the same automated response back several times, i also pm'ed "mod mark" in game who told me to "go F myself". Two of my friends were player mods before the player mod centre launched and they were told not to interfere either in relaying my concern, one being the top score in smithing, priscilla.

They plain and simply did not want to know.

The only thing they done for me was take my name of the highscore list. My account still sits idle, with lots of stuff in it.

Even now when I sent in a support message I was told they couldn't help. I hand delievered a letter to their cambridge office (I lived local) and got no response either. I wont say what issue it was here either - sorry.

Believe me when I say I not bullshitting, it was the game believe it or not I met my wife in =)

And yes it is too late for Jagex, instead of giving their CS staff training or emplying people who give a shit to paying customers instead of spending resources on a german client no one plays...

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

now now, go along and brush your teeth

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

sigh stupid jagex... if they want there game to grow make a runescape 3 with mint graphics, watch how much the game will grow and how many millions of people will return to the game including myself

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

I'm not sure. I don't think I was the only European moderator.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I love how they come up with 6 million active customers, they really mean 6 million have downloaded the game at one time or other, they probably have a couple hundred thousand active accounts at best.  Get pretty tired of these developers lying through their teeth about subscription numbers, means you just cannot trust them at all.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I love how they come up with 6 million active customers, they really mean 6 million have downloaded the game at one time or other, they probably have a couple hundred thousand active accounts at best.  Get pretty tired of these developers lying through their teeth about subscription numbers, means you just cannot trust them at all.

First of all, RuneScape's a browser game. You don't have to download it.

Second of all, it says that there are 6 million active players, not customers. There are only one million paying subscribers. I think 6 million is a bit high, but not too far off.

Third, it'd be pretty odd to have 150,000 to 250,000 players logged on at any given time if the total amount of players was only a little higher than that.

Developers don't lie. They all learned their lesson after what happened to DnL.

Originally posted by sparkyx

I spelt everything correctly, imbecile. You are the one with crap grammar.

By talking that you have lowered my expectations of Americans even more.

WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

And yes it is too late for Jagex, instead of giving their CS staff training or emplying people who give a shit to paying customers instead of spending resources on a german client no one plays...

For crying out loud, did you hear a single word that I said? Jagex makes 60 damn million a year. They have more than enough money to have decent CS. However, they don't feel like they needed it. At least, Constant didn't think so. Personally, I think this new CEO might improve the CS, but don't get your hopes too high.

The German version of the game didn't take a lot of money to make. They just translated all the words to German on two new servers.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Actually I was P2P pretty much from the start :) When I quit i was ranked 289th overall, I was only given 400 character spaces to explain my circumstance. I got the same automated response back several times, i also pm'ed "mod mark" in game who told me to "go F myself". Two of my friends were player mods before the player mod centre launched and they were told not to interfere either in relaying my concern, one being the top score in smithing, priscilla.

They plain and simply did not want to know.

The only thing they done for me was take my name of the highscore list. My account still sits idle, with lots of stuff in it.

Even now when I sent in a support message I was told they couldn't help. I hand delievered a letter to their cambridge office (I lived local) and got no response either. I wont say what issue it was here either - sorry.

Believe me when I say I not bullshitting, it was the game believe it or not I met my wife in =)

Now the part where you said the Mod swore at you is just a lie.

They spent there money on a German client because they don't have much players from Germany, so it is to gain popularity from that area.

?