Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things That Repel Me From AoC

sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

1. Cartoon-like graphics.

2. Arcade-game numbers and long names floating above heads

3. Generic combo combat - stand next to your enemy pick a combo and slash away, no aiming except with bows.

4. No looting of bodies - bags or chests drop from NPCs, that may contain an item or two he was carrying, the rest of his stuff is magically locked away somewhere.  In PvP you just earn points.  All the devs have said is that there may be the possibility for looting coins or one item, maybe... So what's the point in PvP? Just hacking and slashing to gain points and levels?  Is that any kind of risk or reward?  The devs are claiming the game is not item based, but if you don't lose items, I can't see how it will not end up being item based.

5. Levels rather than strict skill.

This was six months ago.  So, has any of this changed?

Comments

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I really don't see how you came up with cartoony graphics. If anything Conan looks more realistic then most of the upcoming mmos

• Scorn_ArkaneScorn_Arkane Member Posts: 189

Originally posted by sempiternal

3. Generic combo combat - stand next to your enemy pick a combo and slash away, no aiming except with bows.
    4. No looting of bodies - bags or chests drop from NPCs, that may contain an item or two he was carrying, the rest of his stuff is magically locked away somewhere.  In PvP you just earn points.  All the devs have said is that there may be the possibility for looting coins or one item, maybe... So what's the poin in PvP?  Gaining points and levels?  Is that any kind of risk or reward?  The devs are claiming the game is not item based, but if you don't lose items, I can't see how it will not end up being item based.
    1) WHAT?

2) You always had the option to hide names.

3) You still have to perform the combo.

4) They haven't confirmed or denied player looting yet but they are still looking into it as a viable server ruleset.

5) How many mmorpgs out there have no levels and it is all skill based?

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

4. No looting of bodies - bags or chests drop from NPCs, that may contain an item or two he was carrying, the rest of his stuff is magically locked away somewhere.  In PvP you just earn points.  All the devs have said is that there may be the possibility for looting coins or one item, maybe... So what's the point in PvP? Just hacking and slashing to gain points and levels?  Is that any kind of risk or reward?  The devs are claiming the game is not item based, but if you don't lose items, I can't see how it will not end up being item based.

1) Not really sure where you got that one!

2) Always been optional...you can hide them.

3) I dont see that as a bad thing when compared to games where you just hit attack and go to bathroom.

4) AoCs PvPs point is border kingdoms, you'll want to get a fort or keep there so you can benefit from resources spawning there thats usable by crafters to make the coolest pvp gear. Those who rules the border kingdoms, rules the game...this game isnt about 1vs1 pvp.

5) Only Skill based mmorpg in development is darkfall and that game had its first estimated release date in 2003.

DarkFall is still level based. No, your character does not level, but his skills do. So you still have to level grind your skills to be efficient and effective.

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Where do I get the impression of cartoon-like graphics?  From the screenshots on the homepage:

Female Barbarian

Yeti

Blood of Combat

Magic

Making things optional that are advantageous for a player to know, is not really optional.  Why would anyone turn names and numbers off if it benefits them not to?

Certainly the combat is better than plain old auto-attack, but combos are only one step above that.  Why not be able to aim your attacks?

Are there going to be FFA PvP servers?  This would be better than nothing, but never better than a diverse game world.  I'm growing so tired of protective zoned games with PvP on the outskirts or border kingdoms, and players hiding out in these protective zones, when competition is what multiplayer games should be about.

How many games are skill based?  A few, and that's the point, why go with the generic MMO leveling system?  The leveling systems are pretty basic and reward players merely for spending time playing rather than careful planning and strategy.

So, I'm disapointed in AoC, because I originally got the impression that Conan would finally be a highly competitive MMO for experienced gamers, due to some of the mature content, but it looks like it's shaping up to be more of a generic MMO now?

• deucalliondeucallion Member Posts: 183

OP, if AoC has cartoony graphics, can you please give me an example of a MMO that doesn't?  And the appearance of the name is a preference.  Like how some people will enable a profanity filter.  There's no advantage ingame per se, it's just something to cater to a given players taste.  Preferences are a good thing.  Combo-attacking is better than click /take a nap.  Not as good as aiming, sure, but hey it could be worse.  Full pvp?  Yeah in a perfect world.  But lets face it:  no game that hopes to go mainstream and make truckloads of money will support that option, there just aren't enough people out there that are into it.  But yeah, i feel ya on that point.  And also on the skill/level opinion.  I'd much prefer a skill-based game to a level based one.  Can't for the life of me figure out why more MMOs aren't designed like that, guess level-based is just easier.  Meh. 

So to sum up the Deuc's opinion:

Graphics:  you're smokin crack if you think AoC is 'cartoony'.  WoW is 'cartoony'. 

Gameplay:  could be better, could be worse.  I'll settle for the compromise of combo-click combat.

PvP:  In complete agreement with you.  The more hardcore the pvp, the better.

Progression:  Also in complete agreement.  Skill-based > Level-based 

• OziasOzias Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by Scorn_Arkane

DarkFall is still level based. No, your character does not level, but his skills do. So you still have to level grind your skills to be efficient and effective.
    Darkfall?? Is that out?? I've completely lost track of that game. The last I saw of it was a small clip on my G4 comcast on demand. It looked like a pile of poop... and not the good kind. It was just a buncha folks scurrying about throwing fireballs, kinda like that Might and Magic nugget that was out a while back.

oh... and concerning AoC - I won't comment until I either play or get in the beta (following the NDA of course..lol)

• SilverPhenixSilverPhenix Member Posts: 96

Where do I get the impression of cartoon-like graphics?  From the screenshots on the homepage:

Female Barbarian

Please tell me there's gonna be scales to adjust body mass. Look at those arms! I've seen Nigerian anorexic drug-addicts with more skin on them...

Now playing: City of Heroes/Villains, Age of Conan

Played: Eve, Hg:L, Vanguard, WoW, FFXI, Planetside, Neocron, Battlezone, EQII, AO, CoX, AA, DDO

I win at Vanguard.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I'd kill for a good skill-based game myself. So far the only MMORPGS I have ever played where "young" players can actually play along with "Advanced" players were skill based games like UO and I guess EvE.

However I recognize that in the battle of the MMORPGs Level-based beat out Skill-based. Why exactly, I do not know, but Level-Based is most likely here to stay. I do, however, take comfort in the fact that most likely the next generation or the generation after that of MMORPGs will almost certainly not be level-based and will either be skill-based or will not be based around any type of skill or level system at all but rather based purely on the player's personal skill.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I think you're missing one thing here Sempiternal... this is a video game.

Sure the graphics are cartoony if you settle for nothing less than live action.

I think by the things you've listed you want it to be super realistic, if that's the case, it's almost halloween so you can go pick up a barbarian costume and swing your sword anywhere you want with realistic graphics and no damage floaters and can take anything you want from what you kill and everything's based on your skill.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by jusomdude

I think you're missing one thing here Sempiternal... this is a video game.
    Sure the graphics are cartoony if you settle for nothing less than live action.
    I think by the things you've listed you want it to be super realistic, if that's the case, it's almost halloween so you can go pick up a barbarian costume and swing your sword anywhere you want with realistic graphics and no damage floaters and can take anything you want from what you kill and everything's based on your skill.

Better watch out for those uber  "SWAT" players, seriously, that class needs to be nerfed.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by SilverPhenix

Female Barbarian

Please tell me there's gonna be scales to adjust body mass. Look at those arms! I've seen Nigerian anorexic drug-addicts with more skin on them...

Short answer: yes

Long answer: you've got to be kidding, you haven't been following closely have you? The sheer amount of potential in Avatar looks is one of the bigger selling points.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

That's not cartoony.  Its very far from it. 

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

• bachanambachanam Member Posts: 335

Now i may be wrong but i for some reason remember seeing ingame screenshots of very high quality avatar skin textures, could be wrong

however, although the low quality avatar skin textures does bother me, there is one thing that actually makes me consider how much i really want to put into this game, but don't get me wrong, im still gonna buy it

The only thing that I am less than enthusiastic about:

They said realistic battles, duck dodge and aim, however from the videos I have seen in gaming expo's and whatever, I am not so sure this is the case with melee, I am thinking the only reason the players were even moving around in the videos was because the devs or promotion employees at the expo's had convinced players it was realistic "if your sword touches body then you hit" because from what I saw in the videos, it is normal attack/special attack with small onscreen timer bars before your character swung/hit and that most of the time the sword was missing but the enemy was being hit? i could be wrong, heck i HOPE i am wrong, but if his is true.. ...ugh.... UGH I TELL YOU

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Long answer: you've got to be kidding, you haven't been following closely have you? The sheer amount of potential in Avatar looks is one of the bigger selling points.

I haven't been following the game so closely that I am aware of an "upper arm fatness ratio" slider, no. Raises a new question though; If they had the option to go for "normal person" arms, why'd they pick "order of the stick"? It's just... freaky...

Played: Eve, Hg:L, Vanguard, WoW, FFXI, Planetside, Neocron, Battlezone, EQII, AO, CoX, AA, DDO

I win at Vanguard.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Everyone makes their own character, with their own particular tastes. Its one view from near infinate possiblities.

There is an "age' slider as well as something similar to "upper arm slider"

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Everyone makes their own character, with their own particular tastes. Its one view from near infinate possiblities.
    There is an "age' slider as well as something similar to "upper arm slider"

well that says it right there, as to the guy above you with the warlock avatar talking about the arm thickness slider thingy, I dnt think the OP was talking about the lack of polygon shaping the arm into a buff roundness, I think the OP was talking more along the lines of a detailed texure as opposed to that 3 color texture in the screenshot used as a reference, so ave your post clears that up *hopefully ... !!!!*

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."

Originally posted by Aelfinn

The short answer would've sufficed.

As for the long answer; why then are all four of the females in the new screenies blessed with upper arms like toothpicks? Is that specific slider not yet active, or are screenies carefully selected by that one guy with the weird toothpick-fetish*?

* = I'm assuming every major company has at least one guy with a weird fetish, otherwise they aren't fit to call themselves a major company.

Originally posted by bachanam

well that says it right there, as to the guy above you with the warlock avatar talking about the arm thickness slider thingy, I dnt think the OP was talking about the lack of polygon shaping the arm into a buff roundness, I think the OP was talking more along the lines of a detailed texure as opposed to that 3 color texture in the screenshot used as a reference, so ave your post clears that up *hopefully ... !!!!*

Aye I know I'm slightly drifting off topic (switching around "cartoon-like" for something slightly less unsensible ), but now I'm just wondering why that screenie, along with three others of similar... matchstickness, are shown in the official screenshot-section of the site. Surely if character customization is one of the bigger selling points, they would show more diverse... upper arms...

I win at Vanguard.

Originally posted by deucallion

OP, if AoC has cartoony graphics, can you please give me an example of a MMO that doesn't?  And the appearance of the name is a preference.  Like how some people will enable a profanity filter.  There's no advantage ingame per se, it's just something to cater to a given players taste.  Preferences are a good thing.  Combo-attacking is better than click /take a nap.  Not as good as aiming, sure, but hey it could be worse.  Full pvp?  Yeah in a perfect world.  But lets face it:  no game that hopes to go mainstream and make truckloads of money will support that option, there just aren't enough people out there that are into it.  But yeah, i feel ya on that point.  And also on the skill/level opinion.  I'd much prefer a skill-based game to a level based one.  Can't for the life of me figure out why more MMOs aren't designed like that, guess level-based is just easier.  Meh.  
    Graphics:  you're smokin crack if you think AoC is 'cartoony'.  WoW is 'cartoony'. 
    Gameplay:  could be better, could be worse.  I'll settle for the compromise of combo-click combat.

There is an adavantage to having names enabled - you can tell who someone is from a distance.  Same with numbers, you can estimate how much damage you've done.  Most will leave it on at the sacrifice of immersion, to have these advantages.

Well, I guess you have a point in that AoC graphics look pretty good when compared to WoW.  But, I still feel let down because I expected more realism out of a "Mature" game.  It's definitely closer to a cartoon, but maybe that's because Conan is a comic.  Also, I'm coming off of playing Roma Victor and all their graphics are based off actual photographs, so you can't get more real looking than that.  The damage numbers floating up into the air and nametags don't help either.

The major disappointments are the looting and PvP limitations.  It doesn't sound like they are interested in making these aspects very real or dangerous at all.  And some of you are probably right, they are just going after the mass market, like everyone else...

And, I've seen the videos of the combat, and it does look pretty generic, even with the combos, you run up next to an enemy and swing your weapon as quick as you can and throw in any combos you can manage, but the combos are nothing more than just fancy swings.

To top it off, I'm not very enthusiastic to get back into another leveling game....

If everything else was there, I could overlook the graphics and leveling.

So for now, I guess I will try it, but I'm looking forward more to Darkfall.  The preview they just posted renewed my interest and sounds great - but of course, it's supposed to.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by deucallion

but maybe that's because Conan is a comic. 

Ooh you're sooo going to turn crispy soon!

*Waits for Hardcore Conan fans to come out to tell him how they dont aknoweledge the comics at all and educate him on the Conan books that are the grandfather of all fantasy novels*

• DanmannDanmann Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 95

Roma Victor and realistic are two words that should NEVER be used in the same sentence.

The graphics are so great they won runner up in last years MMOWTF Awards...Bet you they challenge DnL again this year.

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of MMORPG.com or its management.

That was your personal pick, so who cares?  Obviously, you did not make a fair comparison.

And even in the case of public votes, what does it matter when most the votes are from the uninformed?

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615

Female Barbarian

Yeti

Blood of Combat

Magic
    Making things optional that are advantageous for a player to know, is not really optional.  Why would anyone turn names and numbers off if it benefits them not to?
    Certainly the combat is better than plain old auto-attack, but combos are only one step above that.  Why not be able to aim your attacks?
    Are there going to be FFA PvP servers?  This would be better than nothing, but never better than a diverse game world.  I'm growing so tired of protective zoned games with PvP on the outskirts or border kingdoms, and players hiding out in these protective zones, when competition is what multiplayer games should be about.
    How many games are skill based?  A few, and that's the point, why go with the generic MMO leveling system?  The leveling systems are pretty basic and reward players merely for spending time playing rather than careful planning and strategy.
    So, I'm disapointed in AoC, because I originally got the impression that Conan would finally be a highly competitive MMO for experienced gamers, due to some of the mature content, but it looks like it's shaping up to be more of a generic MMO now?

I hope there is a feature to turn off that blood.  Honestly, it's nice to keep all the kids away, but it's not something I want to see every time I hit someone.  Seems kind of excessive

Blood across the screen or off the character? It will only splatter across the screen like that after a critical hit, and it only has like a .2% chance of doing that after a crit. They said it wasn't something you would see often.

Originally posted by Ginkeq

I hope there is a feature to turn off that blood.  Honestly, it's nice to keep all the kids away, but it's not something I want to see every time I hit someone.  Seems kind of excessive

The blood splattering on the screen is a DirectX10 effect, so unless you have Windows Vista, DirectX10 and a DirectX10 enabled video card, you won't see it.