Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

time travel

xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587
im writing a report for school on time travel, whats everyone think about it?

Comments

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

I think someone needs to do there own homework.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Originally posted by MR-Bubbles

I think someone needs to do there own homework.

Stop posting on forums and finish your homework dealing with the difference between "there" and "their".

To the OP:

Click!

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

The Grandfather Paradox suggests backwards time-travel is impossible.

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by xpyrofuryx

Impossible.

If it was possible,  that would mean that in the future people can time travel to our time.

But nobody til now had an experience from someone coming from the future, yes we had lots of UFO sightseeing but noone coming from the future yet.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Time does not exist, there is no past or future, time is an illusion based on change, some change like the Earth's rotation is consistant so we base our measure of time on that, but time is nothing more than a concept.  You cannot travel forward or backward because there is no forward or backward to go to.

Time isn't a dimension, we do not get older with the passage of time, we deteriorate as our cells die and cannot be repaired, a change which we mark in rotations around the sun but all it is really measuring is change, that is it.

Timetravel is an entertaining thought but one confinded to science fiction.

And read the Time Machine by H.G. Wells if you haven't, good book.

EDIT: Of course you can do it if you have a De Lorian and a flux-capacitor.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• WalakeaWalakea Member Posts: 132

Even if time travel were possible, you would never end up in the same place as when you started. This planet is constantly spinning on its own axis whilst orbitting the sung while the sun orbits the galactic core, etc.

I'm not sure how fast we actually move but if you went 1000 years back in time I bet you would end up in the middle of space.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by Briansho

www.johntitor.com/

oh no....not that guy. lol.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by ste2000

Impossible.

If it was possible,  that would mean that in the future people can time travel to our time.

But nobody til now had an experience from someone coming from the future, yes we had lots of UFO sightseeing but noone coming from the future yet.

Theres a theory that the UFOs seen are people from the future visiting us

?

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

This might be some good motivational music to play in the background as your doing it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zdu7xoHU9DA

• Most of what I've read suggests that time travel is a scientific impossibility by our standards of physics. Bending time, however, is accepted and supported. You might be familiar with the old light speed phenomenon, an object moving at the speed of light experiences time more slowly than one at rest. It's that mind-blasting Einstein/Hawings type stuff, but if you're doing a paper it's probably your best bet.

Actually, wiki Time Travel, it's got a decent general explanation of some of the theories. Physics is not my strong area, so I can only point in general directions for you. Most of the theories I've ever heard of suggest it's possible to travel forward in time, but never backward. Now, we are always moving forward in time, but many theories suggest this can be sped up, but not reversed. I don't know if that qualifies as time travel.

Wouldn't traveling at light speed just affect your ability to percieve light, since you are moving faster or at the same speed as light itself, so anything you see would be percieved at a delay so it seems to be moving slower.  This would make it seem that time is slowed down.

But like I said time doesn't exist, it is a concept we use to describe change, so you can't travel forward in time nor slow it down, but maybe you could go fast enough to observe the "past". This would require you to move extremely fast however.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• Originally posted by CactusmanX

Wouldn't traveling at light speed just affect your ability to percieve light, since you are moving faster or at the same speed as light itself, so anything you see would be percieved at a delay so it seems to be moving slower.  This would make it seem that time is slowed down.
    But like I said time doesn't exist, it is a concept we use to describe change, so you can't travel forward in time nor slow it down, but maybe you could go fast enough to observe the "past". This would require you to move extremely fast however.

No, if you could somehow move a human at light speed, according to these theories, they would actually age more slowly than the rest of the world. And you might disagree with the notion of time from a philosphical level, but most physics classes would disagree with you on a scientific basis.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I'm in favor of it

I understand quite a bit of theories like general relativity and spacetime.

The concept of spacetime continum measure three definites, space, X,Y,Z, but adds time as a forth. My argument is not wheather to not measure time, it is a useful concept, but what time actually is.

I think time is a measure created in the mind using three things, memory, epectation and observance. We would say something has passed as we have a memory of it and we can observe that our current surroundings do not have the same objects/actions in them as our memory.  We consider something in the future when we have an expectation of it, and as it becomes closer to what we currently observe we think of it as getting closer to actually happening. But what constitutes a past action or a possible future action is the change involved, without change we have no concept of time, nor would we exist.

Light would be no different, light is change, it shows change of the surrounding area, and if we use light as a measure of present, the seable is present, what you saw is past and future it not even seeable, then yes time would exist, but if you think that everything we see is just change and our concept of the "time" it took is based on us noticing other change in comparison to the first change, all time can be boiled down to change relative to other change.  So while moving faster then the speed of light may make it seem as if things are moving slower, we are merely outpacing light, which we use as an indicator of change and thus time, however I can't see how this would slow our biological functions down to slow down aging, unless the great ammount of G-force somehow supresses them, in that case that still has nothing to do with time, just the rate of change and rate is just comparing one change to another.  So I am saying that time is a measure of change verses change in something else, I am not dissagreeing with science, just the concept that moving fast enough will make change happen faster or slower or even backwards.

That is the way I see it anyway.

But something I don't understand about the theory,

How does going faster then the speed of light slow down biological processes?

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

i dont believe time travel is possible

everything else there is some sort of beginning, end, and variability

time seems to be in constant

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I can prettty much guarantee time travel will not be accessible to the average citizen in my lifetime. How do I know? Because I would have come back and told my younger self some valuable tips, either in person or through other means, paradox be damned.

• GalupaGalupa Member Posts: 203

i don't know about time travel but i had this idea today.

If you could stop time or slow it down, and you threw something and while it was still traveling started time again, wouldn't it be going really really fast?

Just say that you can stop time and you can still move at a normal rate, and anything you threw would have the normal rate applied to it.

"The new age is upon us, yet the past refuses to rest in its shallow grave."

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

Sure there is time travel. We are all doing it as I type. The problem is we can only go in one direction.

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by WantsumBier

Sure there is time travel. We are all doing it as I type. The problem is we can only go in one direction.

You win!!!

• zakk_zakk_ Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Sawtooth
    No, if you could somehow move a human at light speed, according to these theories, they would actually age more slowly than the rest of the world.

you don't need to move at light speed.the astronauts who went to the moon came home like a second "younger" than if they hadn't gone.just taking a ride in your car will slow your perception of time,albeit extremely slightly.this has been verified using atomic clocks on jets.search twins paradox.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by zakk_

Originally posted by Sawtooth

No, if you could somehow move a human at light speed, according to these theories, they would actually age more slowly than the rest of the world.

you don't need to move at light speed.the astronauts who went to the moon came home like a second "younger" than if they hadn't gone.just taking a ride in your car will slow your perception of time,albeit extremely slightly.this has been verified using atomic clocks on jets.search twins paradox.

Actually a russian cosmonaut that spent 700+ days on mir is our "longest" time traveller.

He has aged 1/50th of a second less then the rest of us.

The the OP.

There are some nice documentaries on the subject, BBC Horizon did an episode called "time travel".

There is one I think from PBS called "The time machine", not the movie.

And another one called "The time lords", featuring Stephen Hawking.

There is also a series called "Stephen Hawkings Universe" that explores the subject.

I think the conclusion from all of them was that it is probably impossible, at least from what we know now, known physics do not really prevent it, at least not forward in time, as per the russian, but backwards is another question alltogether.

One of the docs, The time machine I think,  present at least one scientist that has devoted his entire career to the subject, and he seem convinced he will succed.

But, time will tell.. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

For those interested in the subject of time travel and for those who enjoy history, might I recommend a book that is an awesome adventure and a very interesting read.  It's Michael Crichton's Timeline.  He presents an interesting hypothesis (not his, but borrowed I'm sure), that while time travel is not possible, the universe itself is infinite, and being so, there exists and infinite number of parallel universes.  And in the story, this high-tech company creates this machine that makes it possible to travel to these parallel universes.  And the alternate universe to which the main characters travel happens to be set in the Middle Ages.

I just thought it was appropriate for this thread.  It's a great story and way they lay out the concept of time travel is very interesting.  Especially for non-scientists like myself.

• FilipinoFuryFilipinoFury Member Posts: 1,056

Doh! n/m

On Time? On Target? Never Quit?