Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If You Are Thinking About Joining This Game>>>

HeavenLeiyhHeavenLeiyh Member Posts: 9

I realized shortly after I wrote a scathing message on here about this "game" that I may have been a bit harsh, so I downloaded and tried the game.  Now I can say with certainty that I was right the first time.  Here is a bit of my experience into SL:

1.  My game kept crashing, freezing, and lagging.  I am not the only one to have this happen a lot (I spoke to at least 30 people that had this issue).  The main problem is that there are too many creations and not enough virtual space for it.

2.  I wanted to upload a texture file.  It was just one little file.  It was going to charge me the equivilant to $2.50 for this file had I opted to pay real money.  It is like this for any file you wish to upload.  I understand that you don't want everyone to upload things all day long, but enforce a limit, not a price unless that person chooses to go over that limit.

3.  Keeping your inventory manageable is very time consuming as many of the items you get for free are named things like "521A310" or some such thing and so you have to rename everything to make sense and put it where you want it.

4.  There were a lot of bugs in the game.  Necklaces that  float about your head when you sit down, falling off of walls, things disappearing and then reappearing, and other issues.

5.  To make things, you have to be in-world, which means you better hope it doesn't crash as it tends to do just as you are about to finish something complicated.  Also, there is an item  sweep of the lands as a little time passes, so if it takes you a while to make something, it ends up in a folder in your inventory for "Lost and Found."

6.  People are constantly bumping you out of the way, including when you are changing your appearance.  That is right, folks...you are changing your appearance in-world, too.  When people bump you, you get pushed somewhere that is hard to see for you to continue to do what you were doing, so you have to mess with camera angles for a long time to get back to what you were doing or you have to reopen the appearance editor.

7.  Not a big deal, but still annoying, you have to pick a really dumb last name out of a dropdown list.  My last name was Darkstone.  So you have to remember 2 names instead of the one and chances are pretty good you won't find a good last name for your screen name.

8.  I wanted to ask the site a question I had about an issue I was having.  According to the site, only paid members can ask specific questions, the rest of the people have to pick a question type from a specific drop-down box, and there are only 5-6 options...none of which were relevant to anything I needed to know.  So, to ask a question, they wanted you to be a paying customer, and if not, to hell with you.

9.  Some of the things you purchase from other players have bugs and do not work like they should, and there is no way to get your money back, at least according to the official site, so you can get suckered out of cash.

10.  The only thing I found cool was the customability of the character.  It is a lot like The Sims because you can change almost every little aspect of the character's appearance.  However, this too causes a lot of the lag.  With everyone looking different, right down to eye color and finger length, it makes the server do a lot more work.

This game is not worth your time, patience, and money.  I played it for a little while.  I even had a friend join so that I could have someone to talk to while I was doing it, but it still sucked all the same.  It is not worth spending real money on fake crap that doesn't even work well.  

Comments

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89

This game is not worth your time, patience, and money.  I played it for a little while.  I even had a friend join so that I could have someone to talk to while I was doing it, but it still sucked all the same.  It is not worth spending real money on fake crap that doesn't even work well. 

Well, let people decide for themselfes if it is worth their time and money, ok?

• bobdorfbobdorf Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by DixonHill

Clearly he is? He explained what his opinion is and why it is what it is using specific reasons. I'd say it was an informative post, even if some of us disagree with his overall assessment of the game.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by DixonHill

LoL! That must have been the only part of his post you read, if even you read that.

Ever since the "O, We sueing in reaL life and you go to prison in real life" BS I havn't even given this game a second look. How retarded.

Yeah, like I want to join a game and get sued or go to prison because I want to burn something down. Cool. NOT! More like first life.

• HeavenLeiyhHeavenLeiyh Member Posts: 9

JACKECCS:

Wait a minute.  I didn't hear about this.  Are you trying to tell me that someone did something on SL that got them sued in RL?  Wow.  That is rediculous.  "Oh no, my cartoon house got burned down!  What am I to do?"  Please...I can't believe that someone was that lame to sue someone for that.  That is what saving your stuff is for.  Yes, it is a pain in the butt to have to reconstruct everything, but it isn't like you have to actually go out and physically build something.  That is just so sad that someone got that upset about a cartoon that they sued someone.

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

1.  My game kept crashing, freezing, and lagging.  I am not the only one to have this happen a lot (I spoke to at least 30 people that had this issue).  The main problem is that there are too many creations and not enough virtual space for it.

The reason it is in such a wobley state is because it is a BETA virtual world. It is not complete. Also, your own ISP, your graphics settings also factor in. I crash only when my internet acts stupid. Other than that, very rare that it's a crash caused server side.

2.  I wanted to upload a texture file.  It was just one little file.  It was going to charge me the equivilant to $2.50  for this file had I opted to pay real money.  It is like this for any file you wish to upload.  I understand that you don't want everyone to upload things all day long, but enforce a limit, not a price unless that person chooses to go over that limit.

The reason they charge 10Linden to upload, which is NOT 2.50$, more like a few cents, is a money sink. To keep the linden flowing and inflation down on the transfer. Just like any other MMO, they need money sinks so that way there isn't an over abundance of such cash going around.

3.  Keeping your inventory manageable is very time consuming as many of the items you get for free are named things like "521A310" or some such thing and so you have to rename everything to make sense and put it where you want it.

Don't get free things. Free stuff is not garunteed to be of high quality or make much sense. Best suggestion is to, when you get the item, move it to a new folder that shares similar to it. I myself have a folder for weapons, good clothing, free stuff, my own creations, avatar attachments, roleplaying stuff, etc.

4.  There were a lot of bugs in the game.  Necklaces that  float about your head when you sit down, falling off of walls, things disappearing and then reappearing, and other issues.

Again, this is all mostly dealing with your own ISP and system. When you get attachments, you may have to realign it, as no one avatar is exactly the same.

5.  To make things, you have to be in-world, which means you better hope it doesn't crash as it tends to do just as you are about to finish something complicated.  Also, there is an item  sweep of the lands as a little time passes, so if it takes you a while to make something, it ends up in a folder in your inventory for "Lost and Found."

Keep your settings low, build in a low lag, low populated area. Also, that "Sweep" is set by the land holder, it helps to keep the land clean, clears up stuff from just being strewn about in a mess, and helps reduce lag. Not ALL places have that setting, but most GOOD sandboxes do, and not all return them to your folder.

6.  People are constantly bumping you out of the way, including when you are changing your appearance.  That is right, folks...you are changing your appearance in-world, too.  When people bump you, you get pushed somewhere that is hard to see for you to continue to do what you were doing, so you have to mess with camera angles for a long time to get back to what you were doing or you have to reopen the appearance editor.

The wonders of a physics engine. They are currently in beta with a new Havok4 Physics Engine on the Beta Grid. It is supposed to help relieve this issue. But a good solution is, again, to do such work in a low populated area.

7.  Not a big deal, but still annoying, you have to pick a really dumb last name out of a dropdown list.  My last name was Darkstone.  So you have to remember 2 names instead of the one and chances are pretty good you won't find a good last name for your screen name.

This is to help keep bots out that just ruin any MMO/Game. A computer has trouble selecting such things, as most bots are programmed to randomly enter in characters. And more Last Names are being added regularly. I actually like it also, because it forces those who are not creative and like numbers in their name, to pick an actual last name, and not be John1tq Alsh45767.

8.  I wanted to ask the site a question I had about an issue I was having.  According to the site, only paid members can ask specific questions, the rest of the people have to pick a question type from a specific drop-down box, and there are only 5-6 options...none of which were relevant to anything I needed to know.  So, to ask a question, they wanted you to be a paying customer, and if not, to hell with you.

I am a paying member, and trust me, we get as crappy customer service as you do. It took them 4 weeks to answer an important question on why I was unable to purchase linden. 4 weeks! This I agree with, it is very bad on their part to exclude free accounts and to be so.....vague on their solutions.

9.  Some of the things you purchase from other players have bugs and do not work like they should, and there is no way to get your money back, at least according to the official site, so you can get suckered out of cash.

This all has to do with the creator/seller. You need to contact the one who made it for technical support, just like you would in real life. Most serious businesses will have some sort of customer support, and they are usually very friendly and helpful. Freebie stuff will not get you support, as it was made for fun. Always be wary of purchases, this is true even in real life.

This is not a "Game" it is a virtual world. It requires patience and more than just a tiny bit of skill in MMO's. It is a wonderful social network that allows you to be, ANYTHING. Some of the best roleplaying places have been in Second Life, are more fun, and more fair than most MMO's today. It requires skill, some intelligence, and willingness. It IS worth the time and patience and money. If you have skills, use them! It is a diverse world and one that does take time to get used to.

I've been playing it for four months now. I own my own two business, one makes weapons and armor, the other helps upstart business owners and sim owners in designing their space.

A weapon I made

A weapon I made in Second Life.

• HeavenLeiyhHeavenLeiyh Member Posts: 9

I have noticed something...usually it is only the people that actually pay for things or own a business on this whatever-you-want-to-call-it  that tell people it is worth it to download this. 

Now, to your points... 

The reason it is in such a wobley state is because it is a BETA virtual world. It is not complete. Also, your own ISP, your graphics settings also factor in. I crash only when my internet acts stupid. Other than that, very rare that it's a crash caused server side.

If it is just a beta, then maybe they shouldn't be asking people to shell out all kinds of money for things that aren't complete.  Also, all of my components are compatible with this program (I always check first).  I have all of their recommended cards and programs (I even made sure to download anything I needed to make this run well as I had heard of the terrible lag on this game).  My computer is only 1 yr old.  I have excellent internet (I never have a prob with it anywhere else).  Blaming my computer is not going to work.  Not only that, but if you bothered to read, I talked to lots of people that had this problem, and we can't all have crappy computers with bad internet.

The reason they charge 10Linden to upload, which is NOT 2.50$, more like a few cents, is a money sink. To keep the linden flowing and inflation down on the transfer. Just like any other MMO, they need money sinks so that way there isn't an over abundance of such cash going around.

Whether this is because I was not a premium member or not, I do not know, but it said I needed to put in $2.50.  Also, do not fool yourself into believing that there is any other reason for this other than sheer greed.  They just want you to put your money into this because they know that a lot of you are creative types and will use your money for this.

Don't get free things. Free stuff is not garunteed to be of high quality or make much sense. Best suggestion is to, when you get the item, move it to a new folder that shares similar to it. I myself have a folder for weapons, good clothing, free stuff, my own creations, avatar attachments, roleplaying stuff, etc.

Of course someone who owns a business would tell me this...I am not paying for stuff on a game or any other virtual thing.  If I am gojng to buy something, I want to actually be able to use it.

Again, this is all mostly dealing with your own ISP and system. When you get attachments, you may have to realign it, as no one avatar is exactly the same.

See my response to your first statement.

Keep your settings low, build in a low lag, low populated area. Also, that "Sweep" is set by the land holder, it helps to keep the land clean, clears up stuff from just being strewn about in a mess, and helps reduce lag. Not ALL places have that setting, but most GOOD sandboxes do, and not all return them to your folder.

I understand that there is a legitimate reason behind the sweep, I was just saying that it is annoying to be in the middle of a build and have that happen.   Oh, and btw, your response here only proves to me that that I was right...how can certain places, even low populated ones, be high in lag and others not if it is my comp and not the server?

The wonders of a physics engine. They are currently in beta with a new Havok4 Physics Engine on the Beta Grid. It is supposed to help relieve this issue. But a good solution is, again, to do such work in a low populated area.

This really doesn't matter.  Some people just do it to be a pain in the a*s.

This is to help keep bots out that just ruin any MMO/Game. A computer has trouble selecting such things, as most bots are programmed to randomly enter in characters. And more Last Names are being added regularly. I actually like it also, because it forces those who are not creative and like numbers in their name, to pick an actual last name, and not be John1tq Alsh45767.
    If this 'world' is supposed to anything you make it, then why force people to be creative?  If they want to have a numeric name, then let them.  Don't tell me that it allows you to be anything in one breath, but in the next tell me that there is a restriction...it is very hypocritcal.

I am a paying member, and trust me, we get as crappy customer service as you do. It took them 4 weeks to answer an important question on why I was unable to purchase linden. 4 weeks! This I agree with, it is very bad on their part to exclude free accounts and to be so.....vague on their solutions.
    If I actually paid for this and still got this kind of service, I would not be singing the praises of this whatever-it-is.

This all has to do with the creator/seller. You need to contact the one who made it for technical support, just like you would in real life. Most serious businesses will have some sort of customer support, and they are usually very friendly and helpful. Freebie stuff will not get you support, as it was made for fun. Always be wary of purchases, this is true even in real life.
    In real life, unlike in the game, if something goes wrong with a purchase you have certain legal avenues to rectify the situation (ie. suing for the cost of the item or for any damage the item caused).  Also, I was not saying that freebie stuff was broken or whatever...if it is free and doesn't work, I don' t care...if I pay for it, that is a totally different story.

This is not a "Game" it is a virtual world. It requires patience and more than just a tiny bit of skill in MMO's. It is a wonderful social network that allows you to be, ANYTHING. Some of the best roleplaying places have been in Second Life, are more fun, and more fair than most MMO's today. It requires skill, some intelligence, and willingness. It IS worth the time and patience and money. If you have skills, use them! It is a diverse world and one that does take time to get used to.
    I've been playing it for four months now. I own my own two business, one makes weapons and armor, the other helps upstart business owners and sim owners in designing their space.
    I am glad that you found something that you like.  I am glad that you are creative.  I am glad that you think this is worthy of your time.  I am just giving a statement of my opinions.  If my statement does not jive with yours, so be it.  For those of us not willing to spend a small fortune every month on a FAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKE world, it is not worth the time or energy as most everything good about this whatever-it-is costs at least a small amount of money.  For the most part, free MMO's allow you to do most everything without having to purchase a single item, but  in this there is not much to do unless you are willing to shell out the bucks.  In my OPINION it is just a place for people with too much time and no real life to spend their money on to gather together to have weird sex parties.  If you do not agree, so what... I am glad for you.  Enjoy your whatever, but it is not for me.  Anyone who agrees with me about the monetary aspect of it should just stay away from it...IN MY OPINION.
    *Notice that this is just an opinion...do not get your panties in a bunch if you do not agree.  People that want to go against my opinion are perfectly capable of doing so. 
  • DesirsarDesirsar Member UncommonPosts: 117

1) It's a beta?  Since when?  I only know of test grid betas, and given that those are tests of future release candidates...  In any case, the main cause of crashing and freezing and low framerate is the computer you're running it on.  (if you're "lagging", it's your internet connection.  It's not an appropriate term for anything related to hardware performance other than data transfer, and if you have anything in your system that qualifies for "lag", you have a fire hazard on your hands...)  The engine isn't optimized - I have high end hardware and I still get slowdown, but only in very congested areas, and only because I insist on using high graphics settings.  Even with the bad engine, it was more than playable on my older, now crappy computer.  The biggest killer, though, is physical memory.  Less than two gigabytes is asking for problems with any current MMO, though...

2) Texture uploads cost around 2.5 CENTS, not dollars, when converted from Linden Dollars to US dollars.  The texture upload costs offset database server maintenance, among other things.  If they charged a monthly fee, most users would not upload anything, never mind approaching any feasible limit - but any limit would likely stifle people actually creating objects in-world, and that's bad for too many reasons to list...

3) This one I'll give you.  Inventory management is something that is critical to learn early in Second Life, and the help files don't get into it nearly enough.  That said, you don't need to collect every single freebie crap item you can get your hands on, and you certainly don't need to keep them all once you have them.  Inventory management is much easier if you don't packrat things you never use.

4) A floating necklace, from what I imagine you're describing, is a problem caused by the object's creator (if unintentional), and not a bug in the game.  If anything was "falling" off a wall, it was by design.  Items disappearing and reappearing are either an object being unattached and reattached, an object with a script being updated, or your system being low on memory (see number one...)

5) It's not hard to prevent losses to objects you're working on.  As far as objects being returned to your inventory, that's controlled by the owner of the land you're creating it on.  Either move somewhere more friendly to what you're doing, or buy your own land...

6) Not sure how you would create objects or change your appearance without being logged in when textures and objects are stored on the world servers, and are not necessarily cached locally.  If you're having problems being bumped, move somewhere alone, or use a posing stand or similar object (easily and  freely obtainable.)  Even when I go to crowded areas, I tend not to get bumped into, ever.  People that make their way out of the newbie areas tend to learn to walk around people instead of through...

7) That part kind of sucked, yes.  Fortunately, you can buy a custom name.

8) I'm not premium and have no trouble sending in support requests, they just take longer to receive a response.  To be fair, it does take a bit of work with the support site to get to the form where you can send a question to technical support.

9) The same thing can happen in real life.  There may be more legal protections, but it can still happen.  Ask around for recommendations before buying expensive scripted objects...

10) "Like The Sims"??  The Sims only wishes...

I find myself with a lot less to do in world since gambling was no longer allowed due to either the Wire Act or cooperation with credit card companies over the Wire Act, but there are still thousands of people in the world all the time.  Obviously it's worth the time to some people.  It's completely possible to do and see everything eventually without ever spending real money, including creating an account.  You can either be good at a game that still has a form of payout that isn't considered gambling, or simply show off the power of making the right friends...

• zybezzybez Member Posts: 12

HeavenLeiyh, you're so right. At first, I thought SecondLife would be comparable to WoW or Guild Wars etc. But after trying it, I was shocked.

It lags, everything looks like crap, there are bugs everywhere. Unless you funnel money into this game, you can't enjoy it. I've spent $50 on it, and I don't even like it.

It already has become a "Made in China"... which means, everything is mass-produced and sold for low prices. (I paid 1 Linden for a ship). There is no way I'll spend a week creating a ship- just to sell it for 1 Linden (pennies).

Second Life is one game that needs a complete make-over and re-write. SecondLife 2 please.

You thought a virtual world would be similar to an RPG?  That's like comparing Barbie Horse Adventures and Halo.  Sure, they're both Xbox games...

It runs fine on hardware that isn't five years old, everything looks as good as the creator makes it, and you'd be hard pressed to find a fatal bug.  There are more than enough things to do without ever spending money on the game.

Anything you buy that seems like it costs less than it should for its complexity is either priced as a "freebie" type of price (and will generally be marked as such), or it was somehow stolen from the creator and being sold at those prices to undermine their business.

Second Life doesn't need a rewrite so much as they need to finish replacing the Havok engine with the Havok2 engine, which will be done using the current world as it is.

• PunknaughtPunknaught Member Posts: 92

As someone who has been in SL since its inception pretty much ....just after beta i have a little more insight than most.

SL is not meant to be a game like WOW or anything of that type. It was a social/creative online virtual world. And if you think its bad now...should have been there back when there was no animations, prim shoes, hair, skins or anything that made anyone look more real. Oh and we had to pay land taxes among other things as well.

I'll admit things havent really gone for the better since the game has become mainstream with 8-9 million residents and 30-60K online at pretty much any time of the day.  The game has grown faster than they originally anticipated.   There was originally less than 30 sims, now there is to many to count when private sims came out  there was maybe 8 of them.  Now there is so many they share servers so yes lag gets bad in some.

Corporations and other factors has driven the market into overdrive with all the media and other such things that have come in and out of SL.

This game is not worth your time, patience, and money.

This i will tell you now if you think that this is the case you are truely mistaken.  With time and patience and a bit of effort.  That most of the time wont cost you a cent can be very very worth it.  Ill give a few examples.

Many of the creators of items in the world have made a living of it. Yes people actually buy stuff much like RL...200L$ or approx .66 cents US for something isnt alot. 

But more importantly there have been many others who have been in magazines and all over the internet from being creative or spending a little money in RL.        

A game called tringo created in SL the creator was approached by a believe nintendo to have it made and released on gameboy or some such.

Anshe Chung ....one of the first and the biggest land buyers and sellers in SL has been in buisness week with reportedly pulling in 50,000 US a year.

There are many of these types of people in SL.....sure they had the jump when it first started but alot of people with creative ideas are still making a living in SL daily.

I played it for a little while.  I even had a friend join so that I could have someone to talk to while I was doing it, but it still sucked all the same. 

There are thousands of people online at all times im sure that there is other people you can talk to..just takes a little effort.

It is not worth spending real money on fake crap that doesn't even work well.  

Again you dont have to spend a dime on SL.  There are alot of re-sellers and fakers in SL so much like RL you do have to be careful......once people learned they could sell L$ to make RL$ it was inevitable much like any game with gold sellers or what have you.

But for most items that arent second hand...you can usually ask the creator to refund you as long as you send it back, many are willing to refund you if your claim is real.  You break it you bought it kinda idea. 

There is so much more to SL than just buying material things....and adult venues.  Is there alot...well yes much like anything and anywhere on the internet.  Its all about choices, you can choose not to go to these places by clicking the mature check box under search.  Or just leave.   

There have been alot of improvements to SL as a whole with various features and  upgrades.  Are there bugs. Yes of course there are very few games or software out there that hasnt had some one time or another.

All it takes is Time, Patience and a little thought and you can enjoy SL like millions of people have and tens of thousands do daily.   Is SL going to close anytime soon...unlikely.  Is it everchanging, Yes.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

have you actually bothered to make something?  a bit more amusing than making programs on the desk top as I can show off here.   and not have to spend any money while living reletivly richly off a previous work.

I always want to play around as a griffin/gryphon, I think the avatar will be done in two months or so.  it's a huge project animations, buidling(organic looking stuff is a pain), scipting.   then a few side projects scripting a few weapons for dragons.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727
    A weapon I made

Impressive! How many polygons if i may ask? ^^

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

I'd guess 30-50 prims.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

If you're asking in polygons, you've probably never been in the world.  :)  You build things in polyhedrons, to use the closest term to how you're thinking.  It's quite a bit tougher to make something accurate to real life compared to how you'd create models for most games, but also doesn't require third party software or experience in using it.

• DubonEngevenDubonEngeven Member Posts: 96

VOTE NO TO WASTING YOUR LIFE ON A FAKE LIFE FULL OF SEX AND PROSTITUTION.

GO BUY A REAL LIFE.

Thank you for your time, that is all.

• Darkmind07Darkmind07 Member Posts: 18

Second Life, Can Be Fun When You Have Access to Creating items. I have Played This Game For About A Week and Gave Up. Its True, a waste of money and time.

Some Like it, I Dont.

• Darkmind07Darkmind07 Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by DubonEngeven

A FAKE LIFE FULL OF SEX AND PROSTITUTION.

Hey , I think You Have Just Summed Up The Game!

• StaatsschutzStaatsschutz Member Posts: 90

i would try this game....

if i was lost on an island and had a functionable laptop with satellite connection and second life was the only game installed on it

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by erandur

A weapon I made

Forgive my ignorance of the game, but what do people use weapons like this for?  Killing other players and destroying their stuff?  If so, then Second Life may have more game to it than I realized.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

there's actually a couple dozen combat systems that are for sword and bow play some have magic or are easily extendable to make some.

nearly all combat for the combat systems is a you swing if your sword hits what's in front of you you damage them(actually using a sensor, or an attack sprite.  but that's what it plays like).  so stupidly enough you have  some peoples near ideal MMO combat system inside a game that's not made for combat, and off a bloody scripting engine. 

options are a bit more limited because of lag considerations and user interface limits(in linden lab's great and divine wisdom they deemed that the only keys people would need to listen for are the same keys you use for movement :sarcasm:), because you're building with a scripting engine and lastly you need to consider that your users are running some stupidity with them(512x512 textures on .1 meter objects, sucky scripts that people insist on using, not reusing textures, not optimizing prim counts).

as a matter of fact most combat systems are a much smaller lag causer than some of the most popular attachments that people wear.  or stuff that property owners just have to keep shoving onto their land.

however due to user stupidity way too many SIMS are reletivly laggy, however areas designated for combat usually end up with the advice of people who are actually familar with what causes lag.

then there is also 'unofficial' combat.  which essentially comes down to battle of the scripts between people or just plain old trying to crash the sim.  most people are extremely clueless about both and just aim at script kiddie-ingwith scripts that they bought and just being disruptive.

it's kinda pitiful to watch since most have no idea why how it works.  especially when you look at how simple LSL is to learn.

You can do anything in Second Life that someone has created and scripted objects for.  There are more than a few combat systems, some with various abilities combined with the need for a functional weapon and some skill, and others that are completely skill based where the only difference is what animations your character uses to attack or the weapon you're holding.  There are even a couple attempts at creating an MMORPG-like game system, complete with random monster spawns, but those are pretty comparable to the ones toward the bottom of the game list on this site.  (Although the avatar customization would be through the roof if you were rating them in that category...)

I have to agree with the assertions of some posts above, the world has a lot of sex clubs, and most of the "regular" dance clubs have escorts available as well.  (Never quite figured out the point of this stuff in a virtual world, but if they want to spend their money on that, I'm sure there will always be someone willing to accept it.)  That's why I tend to stick to places that offer games of some sort (particularly the few left where I can still win money), or vampire themed areas where the music doesn't suck (that would be the Top 40 stuff you hear almost everywhere else.)

• Player-XPlayer-X Member Posts: 83

1) Logged in, did the tutorial, then looked for somewhere to meet people and the most popular places are depraved virtual brothels....... just click search I swear.

2) Why buy a virtual stuff when you can buy real stuff?

3) Is it because all of the people who like this game are just shit at real life and crave something more??

I know people will cry because of this but hey it's my opinion.

Not really, it's pretty apparent that your opinion is tainted because you had negative expectations going in.  *shrug*  If you were intending to find something fun to do, you would have asked someone with experience.  (I would have said "search for Tringo at IceDragon's", but there are equally fun places to go.  Bowling at Imagination is good as well.)  Of course, if you search in popular places and click the "Show results in mature regions" on and pick the top spot, obvious in both name and description that it's a sex club, and go there...  well?

• SundiverSundiver Member CommonPosts: 27
    I second what Desirsar says. He already put it so well, I feel no need to add anything but that.