Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who will be the underdogs?

I apologize if this poll has been posted in the past, but I'm curious to see what others think.

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

That poll is somewhat speculation. Since it is a MMORPG and you will have thousands of minds and every mind is different you can't really put an answer to this.

I think that there will be enough of every nationality or decree that will be balanced because not everyone will want to be far left or far right. Most would prefer to even things out and be the underdog I think in a game like this. So that leads me to my point that many will be scattered about this and so the balance will ultimately fill out.

If I had to pick one that would be the biggest underdog though in terms of hate or cowardly position it would be the French. Now I know many won't decide to roleplay the time span of the french in this type of historical setting so that tends to make me think many will be against France just because they have shown they are capable of being cowards and stupid as history has recently shown in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

The dutch! ;)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• WhipsWhips Member Posts: 12

Yeah, those poor Dutch...they don't even get any player representation.

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

FWIW, the pick your server screen in PotBS doesn't just show you server population, it shows it by nation.  So you can see how balanced the population is on the server before you choose to play there.  Hopefully this will help with balance, as those who want to play the underdog can see where it's needed.

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

• SilkwyrmSilkwyrm Member UncommonPosts: 7

Playing as the underdog will also have its advantages.

1. More chance of becoming familiar with a greater percentage of your chosen nation and being recognised.
    2. More chance to be chosen for the final port battles and grouped with familiar players.
    3. A less bloated national economy, where a lone merchant stands more chance to find his niche.
    4. Less spam and possibly a friendlier atmosphere in national chat.
    5. More Targets for PvP than other nations (for some careers).

Obviously total server population numbers will effect the above. But the being the underdog is not always going to be a bad thing.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

sounds like the way planetside handle it thats good if i remember right it worked at keeping all the sides balanced.

Btw to the guy above me, thats probably correct but if this system is the same one i am thinking of then most sides will probably pan out well.

There might be one or two nations that are slightly bigger since new players tend to like to go for the more populated ones while they are learning the game atleast thats what my experience with games with multiple choice sides are, but i think a few months down the line it will all balance out since at the end of the day most like a balanced fight and not a zerg once they are good at the game :)

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

I wonder what was most popular during the stress test event?

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Underdog = The french

Thats why im gonna play it.

• JavamancerJavamancer Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Scriar

There might be one or two nations that are slightly bigger since new players tend to like to go for the more populated ones while they are learning the game atleast thats what my experience with games with multiple choice sides are, but i think a few months down the line it will all balance out since at the end of the day most like a balanced fight and not a zerg once they are good at the game :)

That's not been my experience with MMOs at all.  Take SWG pre-NGE -- the Rebels outnumbered the Imperials something like 10:1.  People picked the side they preferred, without regard to "balanced fights." 

I expect the same to happen here.  Pirates and the British will be far more popular than the others.  Hopefully, as others have suggested, the game mechanics provide for "balanced fights" -- since the players likely won't.

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

Frogs for sure, I mean if people had a rl choice.........

• Teddy3157Teddy3157 Member Posts: 112

The French will without a doubt be the underdogs.

I however will be playing the French. I've met many french people who I call my friends, and most people bashing the French are just people regurgitating the things they here their parents say or heard on TV.

As a side-note: Don't get me wrong, the french have done some dumb stuff. Their just not all cowardly feminine pushovers as people think.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Supposing we are going to play in a big European server, not in servers for each country. I don't think there will be abandoned nations (ie France), maybe they will have less players but also they will have big armies too.

PS: Of course, the biggest nations in the game will be England and Spain, the old enemies, they had more influence in the Caribbean than any other country. For this reason, i think the players will perform this enmity in the game.

PSS: We'll come back to the old days of the Empire

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Erm

pretty sure everyone and their brother will be a pirate.  Probably have more pirates than all the nations combined :)

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• d1nod1no Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Taram

Erm
    pretty sure everyone and their brother will be a pirate.  Probably have more pirates than all the nations combined :)

lol probably

• McGruggMcGrugg Member Posts: 60

More than likely, the French.  I've had bad experiences with the majority of the French people I've met and have a leaning towards the priates, but, if it really does get balanced, I will probably end up playing the French  because of the benefits, like a few other people have posted.

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

Originally posted by Taera

The dutch! ;)

Rub it in some more. :(

Originally posted by Praetoriani

The dutch! ;)

Oh, don't worry.  The Dutch have a few tricks up their sleeves that the major powers aren't expecting... 

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

NO ONE expects the dutch inquisition!

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

IMHO, Pirate will probably be the most populated nation at release.  Afterall the game is called "Pirates otBS."  People want to be a pirate!!! YAARR!

But actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spanish take the top spot.  The Spanish are like Horde in WoW... Everyone likes to play on the big bad overpowered team (or something to that degree).

Expect the British and lastly French to round it out.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    Originally posted by Teddy3157

The French will without a doubt be the underdogs.
    I however will be playing the French. I've met many french people who I call my friends, and most people bashing the French are just people regurgitating the things they here their parents say or heard on TV.
    As a side-note: Don't get me wrong, the french have done some dumb stuff. Their just not all cowardly feminine pushovers as people think.

It's because the media and politicians are mad that the French didn't go into the STUPID war with us. Good choice on their behalf. The French are a very loving people and it's a great culture.

• SkarmySkarmy Member Posts: 38

Well, if you guys are going to start making the WoW analogy towards PotBS every little kid and misinformed player that cared about looks more than lore, went with the Alliance due to the fact that they thought that they were the " good " side. This game will be something like WoW, and I will defend my opinion.

The Pirates as everyone should know are not " good ", " honorable", or any of those other adjectives because in-fact pirates historically were ruthless, heartless, vicious, cruel, vile knaves who would use any underhanded tactics to gain the upper hand that they had at their disposal. And in-fact I believe that once again, the misinformed general public who has spent too much time reading or watching media that romanticizes pirates will choose the pirates.

On the other hand, there is the French who were one of the major Naval superpowers who have been in a way, demonized by the mass media and popular culture of the western world.  And so, i believe they will be the underpowered laughing stock of the potbs world. I will make a point to make a french alt character because I like the challenge.

Myself? I will be choosing either the British or Spanish due to my knowledge of the times and the many favorable stories that I have read of these two Navies, based on the overall population I will choose whichever faction is under gunned.

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

Originally posted by RickSaada

Originally posted by Praetoriani

The dutch! ;)

Oh, don't worry.  The Dutch have a few tricks up their sleeves that the major powers aren't expecting... 

That's great to know! I'm still disappointed I won't be able to play as the Dutch. However, I assume it was a necessary design choice. Still, I'm glad they are there, at least.

• DukeTyrionDukeTyrion Member UncommonPosts: 89

I will guesstimate it as being somewhere around this;

40% - Pirate

30% - English

20% - Spanish

10% - French

It's intersting to note, that there has been times where rival nations have been accepted at an enemy port when escapin pirates, although I am sure this might have been a rarity.

We could however see 2 wars being fought, English v Spanish v French ... and E/S/F v Pirate.

It would not surprise me if an unoffical truce between Spain and France appeared, leaving 3 warring factions England v Spain/France v Pirates.

Whichever way it pans out, it will be interesting to see how the diplomacy side between real players takes effect.

FWIW, in the current beta incarnation the Spanish are kicking butt and taking names.  Time wil tell how it plays out across multiple servers.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by RickSaada

FWIW, in the current beta incarnation the Spanish are kicking butt and taking names.  Time wil tell how it plays out across multiple servers.

Are there something ingame where you create player that tell of the server balance?

Something like:

Fair - Pirate

Good - English

Fair - Spanish

Needed - French

But then again that may be hard as it might imply that there have to be finetuning on what share is balanced. For instance would it be balanced with 25% of each or something like 10% pirates and 30% for the rest.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"