Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hellgate London Demo /moved

TheWeeIrishTheWeeIrish Member UncommonPosts: 37

Just released today, the forums are here: http://hellgate.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3517
they show where to download the demo from, i prefer fileshack because it has fast connections but long waits. If someones already posted about this sorry ahead of time :) Enjoy.image
The game site is here : http://www.hellgatelondon.com/
Its by some of the makers of diablo 2, but this is placed in the future. image

Comments

• chris606chris606 Member Posts: 26

where can i register at can i have a link

• TheWeeIrishTheWeeIrish Member UncommonPosts: 37

You don't register, its a demo not a open beta :)

• MylonMylon Member Posts: 975

Just tried this demo and I feel less intelligent for the effort.

Aside from the fact that it looks and runs like utter crap on my computer, I felt like I was pointing and clicking on things more than shooting them or, for that matter, engaging in any kind of adventure.  I've found flash games more rewarding than this.

A typical single player FPS, while it may not have the RPG elements, at least feels remotely entertaining compared to pointing at a bunch of necrotic bags of flesh that are only mildly aware of my presence until I start shooting at them.  Since it played exactly like a first person shooter, I might as well comment that for a FPS, the level design seems to consist of nothing more than an obvious railroad with no cover to worry about and just randomly wandering enemies without even a hint of some kind of variety in landscape to keep me guessing where the attack might be coming from so I might have to pay attention.

While my computer may not be the best, it at least can run Halflife 2 well but this game looks like it was made when 3d graphics were just becoming the mainstay of games, not something to be released towards the end of 2007.  The models and textures reminded me of Quake I, except that at least Quake I had some decent level deisgn and art direction.

If the demo was trying to make me buy the game, this demo has failed horribly.

• AristeaAristea Member Posts: 181

(copypaste from my guildforums, my own writing)

My personal take on the demo :

I understand it's a demo, but I'm currently not feeling an "urge" to play it for a long time. Perhaps what we've seen is simply not widespread enough and I wouldn't judge a book by it's first 2 pages, but it still makes me wonder.

Performance :

I think this baby pretty much works on any machine you throw at it. I'm currently running DX9 mode, everything in high and my pc is 3 years old (amd 2x 3800+, 7800gtx, 2gig ram). I assume performance will drop in multiplayer mode, with alot more players to render, but even then, it should still be perfectly playable on any mediocre rig.

Graphics :

Decent graphics, sadly the char screen reminds me of the "customizations" in Tabula Rasa, definitely a point in negative. I'm not impressed by the graphics persé. It's a bit bland and pretty basic. I simply can't escape the feeling that I'm walking in an instance, something I absolutely didn't have in Diablo, while it's basically the same principal. I think this is mainly due to the fact that the levels are insanely small.

Gameplay :

Solid gameplay.

Walking is smooth, aiming is smooth, jumping is smooth, besides the fact that I'm genetically incapable of jumping in games, and running is nicely done as a temporary buff. I'm missing a bit of challenging opponents, besides the "boss-monsters" and in the demo it's also not "numbers over power", so as I said, the demo is lacking a bit of excitement.

Also one minor odd thing, is that once a monster raises its fist to strike you, however far away you are once the fist lands, it will still hit you. I really..really..don't like that.

It's really going to be a dilemma for me, to purchase or not.

• ExclamExclam Member Posts: 72

I think the demo was just a bonus for people who really already knew they were going to buy the game. Flagship just kind of threw it together. But, the main game has much more. If you don't find the combat to be amazing and finally a fun RPG combat system, then you're never going to and Hellgate just isn't for you.

Im going to have to update my opinion slightly more positive.

First of all, to me,  the game didn't become fun, untill I found out there was a third person view. Yes I know, dumb dumb dumb. I simply didn't like the fps view on the Marksman, especially not when carrying two guns.

Once I found out that there was a tps mode, I finished my Blade to lvl 5 and went back to make a new marksman, this time with grenades. First thing I noticed..grenades > all. Especially fun to see the physics do their work, using walls to get bossmonsters in the blastradius, or simply throwing it down at your feet, which will tip the grenade up in the sky, where (if you aimed properly) it will hit the boss, tip up a bit more and explode, dealing pretty decent damage, while you shoot :)

I still find it too easy, but alot of people that were able to compare the demo and beta, have guaranteed me, that the beta is alot harder and thus more fun to play. I'm still considering hardcore, as I used to be nothing other in Diablo II.

I've also understood, that the levels increase alot in size, once you get past  the first station.

I'm definitely going to buy it, also because alot of my guildies consider it as"guild-activity-practice" prior to WAR, but I would've passed if it wouldn't have been my taste.

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Originally posted by Mylon

Just tried this demo and I feel less intelligent for the effort.
    Aside from the fact that it looks and runs like utter crap on my computer, I felt like I was pointing and clicking on things more than shooting them or, for that matter, engaging in any kind of adventure.  I've found flash games more rewarding than this.
    A typical single player FPS, while it may not have the RPG elements, at least feels remotely entertaining compared to pointing at a bunch of necrotic bags of flesh that are only mildly aware of my presence until I start shooting at them.  Since it played exactly like a first person shooter, I might as well comment that for a FPS, the level design seems to consist of nothing more than an obvious railroad with no cover to worry about and just randomly wandering enemies without even a hint of some kind of variety in landscape to keep me guessing where the attack might be coming from so I might have to pay attention.
    While my computer may not be the best, it at least can run Halflife 2 well but this game looks like it was made when 3d graphics were just becoming the mainstay of games, not something to be released towards the end of 2007.  The models and textures reminded me of Quake I, except that at least Quake I had some decent level deisgn and art direction.
    If the demo was trying to make me buy the game, this demo has failed horribly.
    I'm just curious if you have a dual core process or a single core...do you have atleast 2 gigs of ram or something compariable to a series 6 nvidia card?   If you are below atleast one of these your giong to have serious performance hits on the Demo even if you turn stuff down to low / medium settings.    Once you turn the settings down yes the graphics are kinda shitty but thats what you have to expect when you turn it down.  I'm not sure where you get that the textures look bad like Quake 1  I've not had this problem on either of the two systems I've run the game on.  Maybe its time you plug a few dollars into upgrading a component or two of your computer.

I ran HGL on a Single Core 2.6ghz system with Nvidia 7800GS(agp slot the horror!), 2gigs of Ram and yea it ran kinda crap on high once i went into areas with weather.  I turned down some settings and there were still performance hits but atleast I could move and shoot. (if i could just get my job to understand i need a Dual core, this computer I have at work is atleast 4 or 5 years old with some upgraded parts! )

At home I ran HGL on a Dual Core (not dual core 2)  3.4ghz machine (ah yay expensive chip) with 2 gigs of ram, and an Nvidia 7900 card (pci express) and on its Very High / High Settings for almost everything it ran smoooooooooottthhh and looked gorgeous.  

Systems definitly matter for this game!  While it will work on 'older' systems it most likely means systems that can atleast run Vista but currently are Running XP. 

I really can't wait for the game to come out I'm ready for some seriously mob slaying!!

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Well, speaking as someone who has been apart of the beta since the start and just recently cancelled my pre order (which i paid for in full). I have to say, if your expecting somethng revolutionary from hellgate london your in for a dissapointment, if your expecting something that hasnt been done before.. your in for a dissapointment..

I dont plan on buying this game, and i already ryhmed off the reasons on the official beta boards, while i have no interest in convincing others to cancel their preorders, ill say this, this game will not change the mmo world, and i doubt it will even be a contender with the current top dogs of its genre, which is guild wars.. as guild wars is the onyl game hellgate can actually be compared to.

And my comp is top of the line, i ran this game very smooth, though it has an extreme memory leak and does crash to desktop after an hour or two.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Yes , big memory leak >_>, but that's something that can be fixed.

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

The demo completely turned me off from this game. I see posts saying they are going to have this or that at release time with lots of stuff that wasn't in the demo... well if they want to put all that stuff in the demo than I might check it out again. But as it stands now I haven't seen enough to feel confident that this game is a good buy.

I will not make any guesses as to how beta is different or how much better it is compared to the demo. I can only base it on what they chose to show me now.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• DarkerFateDarkerFate Member UncommonPosts: 100

Being an old Diablo 1 and 2 player(played them both religiously) Hellgate was so freaking awesome.

I loved every single second of gameplay, for both the demo classes.  And if you didn't try Blademaster, you should.  It's loads more fun in my opinion.

Gamer by nature,
    poet by heart.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I've enjoyed the beta and I just peeked at the demo and it's dreadful.  Why?  I don't understand it.  I've ordererd the game, although I don't think it's good enough yet to actually pay for a sub, nor am I convinced that there will be enough new content to justify it later.  We'll see.  I can honestly say, however, if I hadn't been in the beta and only had the demo to go on, I wouldn't have bothered with it at all.  If they are looking at this demo to convince anyone to shell out $50 for the game, they've absolutely screwed themselves.

Beta:  Fun.

Demo:  Failed.

Game: Will probably be decent though could definitely use a few months more of testing and some spit and polish.

Subscription:  Who knows?

• DooglesDoogles Member Posts: 3

I'm in open beta right now and unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations. The game is a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it lacks that addiction factor that most people who play MMOs long for. It's a great break from the WoW clones, and if you like hacking demons to bits it can be VERY entertaining, but it gives me nothing to look forward to later on because it's kept completely in the dark. I wonder if the game was going to get more difficult or have more of a strategy to it later on, because up until level 10-12ish I basically walked through the levels without an issue blowing everything to bits and collecting loot. If more strategy could be implemented, or maybe just make the game a little more difficult, it would be a ton of fun. Items don't seem to change too much, I like looking forward to getting cool new gear. Skill tree system also needs some tweaking because it seems most effective to save your skill points and not upgrade current skills. That way, when your character becomes the correct level for new skills that you want, you can get all of them at once instead of waiting even longer. Hard to explain, I may have done a poor job, but at least I'm throwing it out there.

Great ideas, fun to play on occasion, but nothing that really brought me back for more.

-Doogles

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

This demo let me down a bit, i was expecting a diablo like game, and as soon as I started the game thats what i saw, diablo, the problem is that we expect a bit more depht nowadays. The game is fun, theres no doubt, and its great to spend some time, but its not the game i expected, it lacks depht and objective

• LughsanLughsan Member Posts: 312

Bah Humbug.

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

As someone already said.

It's a demo, not an open beta. Wrong forum.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• harabasharabas Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Orca

As someone already said.
    It's a demo, not an open beta. Wrong forum.

wud be online sooner...mmo, any1?

• rapstylerapstyle Member Posts: 31

It's a quite nice game.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

This game was the worse investment Ive made in games so far.

You can type /players on the chat to see how many players are online. The time I quit it was like 700 players online average. Less and less people.