Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greypawn! Tell us what happened!!!

Hoping that Greypawn will post here and tell us what happened!

My thinking is that there is come crap going down with SOE that Greypawn didn't agree with so he left :(

Let us know GP!

Comments

• Last time a major figures were fired or left (Without explination) was due to NGE (O god I fear for the worst instead of thinking he may of just have gotten offered a better job at another company).

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

"Nothing is going on.  I'm just taking some time with the family...

...By the way, have you seen Al Gore's movie?  Academy award, Nobel Peace prize, and a great title, too!"

Box art

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

sure.. a community manager quits his job just because he wants to spend some time with the family,

i think not!

Im quite sure SOE fired him but for what? Only they know. Me thinks there were some 'behind-the-scenes' troubles. But again only they know and im sure as hell it will never be told.

• GooneyGooney Member Posts: 194

In the Matrix when Neo goes to meet the Oracle he enters the apartment living room and sees several "hopefuls", children who can change the world by manipulating the Matrix. 

One boy bending spoons says to Neo, "Do not try to bend the spoon, that is impossible", "instead realize the truth". 

Neo asks,  "What truth?"

The boy replies, "There is no spoon."

The oblique meaning of this in relation to the OPs post is that there is no answer that Graypawn could give that would assuage the doomcrow  "sky is falling" tone of the post. 

-Gooney

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

A theory that I've seen floating around that seems to make sense was that it was due to the redirection of the Senate.  The whole bill system was Greypawns workings but in the end it gave the impression of more happening then the Devs could reaslisticly do hence why the majority of bills ended up being vetoed.  The end result was unintended false promises.  The Devs likely realised this and requested a change and it's possible that Greypawn contested the suggestion.  Just specualtion of course.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

I think it was the medic nerf where the Devs disregarded the Senator program.

The Senators were not informed of the nerf, no discussion was made to the community and that probably made GreyPawn mad and he let SOE know about it.

When a program is put in place to help the community,  it's not a wise decision to step on it like a bug and go back to the old ways.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by RainStar

The Senators were not informed of the nerf, no discussion was made to the community and that probably made GreyPawn mad and he let SOE know about it.
    When a program is put in place to help the community,  it's not a wise decision to step on it like a bug and go back to the old ways.

Nah, I don't think that was it at all, he was already gone by then.  Friday the 4th was his last day.

• FmrOprtrFmrOprtr Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by Obraik

A theory that I've seen floating around that seems to make sense was that it was due to the redirection of the Senate.  The whole bill system was Greypawns workings but in the end it gave the impression of more happening then the Devs could reaslisticly do hence why the majority of bills ended up being vetoed.  The end result was unintended false promises.  The Devs likely realised this and requested a change and it's possible that Greypawn contested the suggestion.  Just specualtion of course.

What?  SOE with false promises ? The hell you say !!!!!

/sarcasm off

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by RainStar

Relations with the community have always been a very sore point in the SWG miliieu.

From launch, the dev team was secretive and shifty in communicating changes to the game.  There were always promises that they knew it was a problem and they'd do better.  ThunderHeart was hired as part of the effort to improve communications.

And we know how well that turned out.

The developers have demonstrated, with a handful of exceptions, an unfamilitarity with game mechanics that renders their 'intentions" baffling to players.

Then there's the perpetual "working as intended" canard which has been demonstrably been used as a bandaid for developer incompetence or laziness.

Which is what the medic nerf stinks of.  That and Blixtev's tendency to hold players in arrogant contempt.

So, when the Senate was bypassed on this fairly major change, it's not surprising that Greypawn took this as  a signal that his position was window dressing and not a real committment to communication.

Or, alternatively, the fact that the Senate was piling up the bills that the devs either could not or would not bother to act on, convinced GP that the sincerity of the desire to communicate was false.

So, logically, he said screw it, this is not what I signed on for.  Buh-bye!

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

Had it out with GreyPawn a few times.  I respected the fact that he actually made efforts.  I just think SioBabble hit the nail on the head...

GreyPawn wasn't that bad.  I wish him well.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Yep- I think Sio hit it. I just want you guysgal to know that I am not playing  SWG any longer. I do love Star Wars but I cannot respect the approach of Lucas Arts and SOE's approach to recent events with the game which I sadly have to admit is frustrating. I applaud the current dev teams chapter 6 but I can no longer play a dumbed down version of this game nor can I watch a great game not release an expansion as per Lucas Arts stated that there will not be one for 2008.  After 4 years plus beta I am just burnt out on SOE and Lucas Arts making terrible decisions. And SWG runs on a small staff which is wrong. They could fix this game with sony's resources but won't. Please no flames- I wish you all the best. But after the senate has been changed to poll takers- and GP is fired...I don't think I have the stomach for Dead Meats approach to production on SWG any longer. Nor can I stand the downsizing of Vanguard. They reek of B> S.

Grey Pawn should not have been fired.  I am glad he stood up for himself and the community.  Now on a positive note for you players sticking with SWG- the collection systems rocks and Obriak is  a saint.  Have fun all!

P.S- GP posted that he already has a new offer.