Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoH skills progression?

Pk4UPk4U Member Posts: 127

Im thinking about playing CoH, but as I havn't watched anyone playing it, im wondering how the skill system actully works.

From what I understand there are multiple classes, and skill trees. Do certian classes get differnt skill trees, or just bonuses to some?

Also is the skill system like SWG, and you can change your skills over time, or do you have to start over if you want to be something differnt?

And finally, I hear alot of griping about lack of content. How long have you guys that are burning out played?

Comments

• BladinBladin Member UncommonPosts: 1,089

4 days, and then i bought DAoC, uninstalled CoH gave it to a friend. The End. This game is pure hype, sure i had a BLAST when i first started, i also thought the character customization was great.

now when i look back, yes people say it has content, but in fact its like a ugly person wearing a skin type face mask. Sure at first you see it as beutiful and you want to be around that person for ever, then you notice the skin line and you rip off the mask and you see the person for who it really is.

What i mean was that at first i thought the character customization was fantastic, but now when i get into it its really not that great, sure there are alot of different colors, and patterns(which are a HUGE way to cheapen the system and make you think it has alot but it doesnt really offer that much) In the end you may look different, but i couldnt make one that suited my tastes i was limited by the system,

Character abilities, awful sure you can choose between a few sets, but anyone with the same sets will be the same as you, enhancements may seem unique but in the end they dont make you any different, they just make the skill SLIGHTLY different, making it hit more or a bit harder, your still the same. Plus there are only 5 archeotypes which only offer different quests and some "special" enhancements, and 5 classes, not much of a selection you amy say you can choose different paths but in what game can you not choose different paths? look at DAoC for a wizard you can spec in Fire/ice/wind anyone you want as much as you want as long as you got the points, raise how you want, and if you dont like it you dont have to make a new character, just respec at level 20 or 40, easy.

AI isnt that great, its just like "cast spell" run a bit, etc its nothing new or innovative...

people stop kidding yourself, or juding the game for what it WILL be judge it for what it is now. CRAP!

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

wow i disagree with about everything bladin said. some are opinion, but some hes just plain wrong.

first off, to touch on his point about eveyrone with the same set being exactly the same. That couldn't be more wrong. Not only could your secondary set be completely different, but you could have 2 players with the same primary, and not one skill thats the same. your not forced into any skills.

The character customization, sure who wouldnt want more, but there are a ton. more than any other game, except star wars galaxies. ive seen replicas of Santa Clause, Don King, Manute Bol, El Nino(chris farley :D) and about anyting else you can think of.

Also, i was a huge DaoC fan, but ill be in my 10th battle in CoH while you are still sitting regaining your wizards mana after the second battle in that game.

Contrary to above again, classes are archetypes, if he doesnt even know that, i dont know if you want to take his word. Among those 5 archetypes, each one has about 36 combination of primary/secondary powersets to start with, so..Maybe you need to give it another '4 days' cuz you dont really have a clue.

• VindvalyaVindvalya Member Posts: 115

image I am sorry but if you can not find a cool look in COH you need to go to the doctor. 

Also as the person before me pointed out the person is just wrong in many cases and doesn't know he first thing about COH.

I like the game a lot.  More customization in look and style. 

I played DAOC and I liked it for a long time but the PvE in COH is far superior.  It is simply more in depth and comes off much better than the PvE in EQ or DAOC early on.

For example in DAOC and EQ you start off and you are left to find some low level mobs to wack over and over.  The mobs are all the same just iwth different skins.  They are also all lame looking mobs like weak skeletons or puppies.  What kind of hero kills puppies I don't know but whatever. 

In COH you beat up sreet thugs that are mugging citizens that will call for help and thank you when you save them. 

Sorry I got off topic, you choose a primary and secondary skill tree dependent on your AT.  You then choose abilities within those skill trees.  At level 6 you get to choose from a set of tertiary abilities that are open to everyone. website below is a pretty good online character builder. 

http://cohcb.yogn.net/