Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare MMO FACT: NOT A RUMOR!!!

Comments

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

Pretty clearly, we want another incarnation of a Star Wars MMO. Frankly, SWG would be in a very very good position right now had they not peeved the playerbase (looking at upcoming and past Sci-Fi MMO's, who would compete?). I just think many people are going to be disappointed with the end product if it is a star wars mmo without 150% of SWG's second year options. A cookie-cutter mmo with an unavoidable story line just won't cut it with this crowd. To make a simple mmo out of star wars would only turn that community against Bioware, and damn wouldn't soe love that...

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Sloane66

1. D+D 4.0 is a complete rework of the rules, they have been streamlined for faster combat and to be more usable with computer games.
    2. D+D rules books have never sold anywhere near the amount of copies that the Video games have, or the Drizzt and Dragonlance novels. This has given the Computer Gamer generation its view of d+d in Bioware's eyes mostly.

3. Turbine only is liceanced for 3.5 and Eberron. Forgotten realms is the flagship campaign however and 4.0 rules will be up for grabs. Forgotten realms would draw in a much greater audience and Bioware produces good games unlike the pieces of crap no one pays for from Turbine.(They flop on Asherons call and use the same damn engine and use big Liceanses to draw people to play the piece of crap again)

4. Bioware hired 6 world creators that where selected based on a Neverwinter nights one modules completeion.

D+D sees Everquest and World of Warcraft make the real money, Wizards and Hasboro want a piece of that action. Eberron flopped because of Turbine. Forgotten realms MMO would be a huge hit if created by Bioware and they have real use of all the charcaters, and places we have read about or played with in the past.

Possible NPC's
    Eleminster(If he doesn't die in the spellplague when Mystra dies to explain the complete changes in magif for 4.0), Drizzit(we knew he is alive from the Orc King), Cadderly,  Jara'axle, Tosun, Lady Aliestriel, ect ect
    Pretty good arguments for it beinf a D&D 4.0 Forgotten Realms MMO.... but if it were, it'd have to be damn well done to take on the 'Fantasy MMO' giants like WoW and what I presume games like WAR and AoC will soon become.

And even then I would probably rather go to AoC instead unless it could really sell to my interests.  There's just simply more chance of success among SciFi... I hope they'll start talking about the MMO oncce Mass Effect is out... otherwise its just kind of weird they should remain so secretive, no?  Unless they don't wanna step on toes [SOE?] until its really time to stomp on a foot [death of SWG?]

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Imohtep316Imohtep316 Member Posts: 22

its kotor 3 online just think.....boware made #1, game of the year, #2 was mostly not as good as #1, makes sense to let them do another one.........why not online, which is where all games are going nowadays...a couple single/ mild multiplayer to get name and quality out then mmo to make thier money......its kotor 3 peeps, and besides swg is dead...swg is their best option and they are not stupid, after all they ARE multi-millionaire/bilionaires

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Scriar

I doubt it is star wars, how can you have 2 mmos out using the same IP even if they are completely different it wouldn't work since they would be competing against each other I doubt the people who own the star wars IP would want that. ( I think it is lucas arts but i am not 100% sure ;p )
    Anyway, mass effect isn't a proven IP yet so i doubt they would start work on a mmo based on a IP that people could potentially hate.
    Balders gate would be to much like all the other everquest generic fantasy mmos, i pretty sure they said they want to be very different in a keynote.
    Never heard of dragon age, although i probably have and the game just escapes my memory :)
    Jade empire was a crap game, but who knows they might make a good mmo out of it so i think it might choose that, especially if it was aimed at consoles first pcs after since it is a populer console rpg after all i dont think the pc game version ever did that well.
    Personally i think if they make an mmo it will be their own IP since they dont have to many of their own IPs to work with so sounds like a good idea to make a new one specfically aimed at a mmo universe.
    Personally I dont really care what the game is based off of, as long as it is nothing at all like any of the mmos we have now.

Why would the game have to prove it self with a popular IP to become a good MMO.  Everquest came out the first time as an MMO if I am correct and that had a lot of success.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Originally posted by Abstruse

Facts:
    1) BioWare now prefers it own IP's, of which it has three, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.
    2) Jade Empire has no known lore development beyond the original game, and there are current MMO's with a similar theme.
    3) Mass Effect is XB360 exclusive for the forseeable future, and planned to be a trilogy.
    4) Dragon Age has received extensive lore development over several years.
    Speculation:
    I conclude that Bioware's MMO is Dragon Age Online.  SP Dragon Age could be released in 2008 while DAO is being finished and polished for 2009/2010 launch.

This is basically what I have been saying but with one change.  I think Dragon Age is going to be released as a MMO and not a Single Player game.  Or they will somehow combine both a single player campaign and a MMO.  I think that is part of the reason why we haven't heard much about Dragon Age.  For a game that is supposed to release next year where are all the game trailers?  Where are all the interviews and screenshots, etc.  I remember reading about it in one of my gaming magazines around 6+ months ago and that is about it. 

I think the fact that Dragon Age has become tight lipped is because they have turned it into a MMO.

dragonage.bioware.com/

According to the listed awards/hype on Bioware's sight about Dragon age there isn't anything newer then 2004.  That is plenty of time to change the game into a MMO.

While you might be correct that they could shift DragonAge to an MMO I doubt it would happen really.  For one thing while the site hasn't been updated recently the bioware forums for DragonAge had been pretty busy (haven't been by in a month and a half or so).  A large reason why there isn't a great deal of hype coming out about Dragon Age at the moment is because Mass Effect is so near to release.  Why would they want to compete with themselves?  Mass Effect releases in about a month's time... this gives them probably a year or so to get the hype machine really cranked up for DA.  Here is a little hint for ya :)

From Gamespot's Q&A with Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeshcuk on the EA acquisition:

Quote: 

GS: Now, you just mentioned Dragon Age. Since Dragon Age wasn't mentioned in the acquisition announcement and so little has been heard about it, there's been some speculation that it was canceled.

RM: Oh, no. We were just playing that last week as well. It's one of the more enjoyable things I've done in the past few weeks, by far. I could not stop playing it. I meant to play it just for a little bit just to check it out, but I ended up playing it all weekend. I wish we could say more about it, as the team has been putting in some late hours on the project, and they've come up with some amazing stuff. We're gonna be revealing some more about Dragon Age very soon, I think, and I think you'll be excited to hear about it.

From the same intervew as posted above, in another section:

GS: Now one of the main reasons EA gave for acquiring BioWare/Pandemic was the upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game you're developing in Austin. After listening to John's comments in the conference call, one walks away with the impression that said MMORPG is a wholly owned IP of BioWare--and therefore EA. Is that correct?

RM: We haven't revealed any details about the game. It's super secret right now. It's got all the characters and story arc that BioWare is known for, and I wish I could say more. It's the best of breed of MMO, with the magic BioWare's associated with, and our goal is to make sure people can't stop playing it.

GS: Right, but judging by John's enthusiasm, it sounds pretty safe to say the MMO is an all-original IP. Would that be fair to say?

RM: [Long pause] We haven't revealed any details about the game. It's super secret right now. It's--

GS: OK, OK, I get it.

GZ: I can say one thing: It looks awesome! [Laughs.] We can say a second thing, too: It's really fun to play. We're already playing it. We were playing it just last week.

-- Anyone know what conference call/comments the HS guy is talking about? If anyone has a link pls post. Thanks!

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

Originally posted by DeaconX

From the same intervew as posted above, in another section:

GS: Now one of the main reasons EA gave for acquiring BioWare/Pandemic was the upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game you're developing in Austin. After listening to John's comments in the conference call, one walks away with the impression that said MMORPG is a wholly owned IP of BioWare--and therefore EA. Is that correct?
    RM: We haven't revealed any details about the game. It's super secret right now. It's got all the characters and story arc that BioWare is known for, and I wish I could say more. It's the best of breed of MMO, with the magic BioWare's associated with, and our goal is to make sure people can't stop playing it.
    GS: Right, but judging by John's enthusiasm, it sounds pretty safe to say the MMO is an all-original IP. Would that be fair to say?
    RM: [Long pause] We haven't revealed any details about the game. It's super secret right now. It's--
    GS: OK, OK, I get it.
    GZ: I can say one thing: It looks awesome! [Laughs.] We can say a second thing, too: It's really fun to play. We're already playing it. We were playing it just last week.
    -- Anyone know what conference call/comments the HS guy is talking about? If anyone has a link pls post. Thanks!

Its funny in the other conversation about dragon age he said he was playing it last week, and now on this one about the MMO he said they were playing it last week. 

It's the SAME convo.... First GS asked about the MMO, which they said they were playing THEN GS asked about Dragon Age to which:

GS: Now, you just mentioned Dragon Age. Since Dragon Age wasn't mentioned in the acquisition announcement and so little has been heard about it, there's been some speculation that it was canceled.

RM: Oh, no. We were just playing that last week as well. It's one of the more enjoyable things I've done in the past few weeks, by far. I could not stop playing it. I meant to play it just for a little bit just to check it out, but I ended up playing it all weekend. I wish we could say more about it, as the team has been putting in some late hours on the project, and they've come up with some amazing stuff. We're gonna be revealing some more about Dragon Age very soon, I think, and I think you'll be excited to hear about it.

It seems both DA and the mmo are both well into development... but since DA is their owned IP and the mmo is not, they are not one and the same.

Heres some info I found for Dragon Age, sounds more of a single player RPG with some multiplayer like diablo 2.  And its got other sources on the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

The more I read that interview the less I think it is a Star Wars or D&D game.  Unfortunately too because I would love a KoToR MMO.  I absolutely loved KoToR but I hated SWG.  (I am one of those who thinks it is a better game now then when SWG launched, I hated it at launch.  I know blasphemy on these boards) 

Honestly though I would love to see them do their own IP.  Creative freedom allows for such a better world then when it is constrained by a license.  Look at some of the most successful MMO games of all time.  All of them are wholly owned IPs by their respective developers. 

World of Warcraft

Everquest

Ultima Online

Lineage 1 + 2

Final Fantasy XI

Dark Age of Camelot

EVE

These are some of the more successful MMO games (at their Peaks, I am not talking about currently for all of them) and they all have one thing in common.  The developers were pretty much free to make what ever changes to the world they deemed necessary. 

Now some IP holders are good to work with and will allow changes.  I hear that is how Games Workshop has been for Mythic and they have actually inncorporated some of Mythic's ideas into the tabletop.  But others are very restrictive.  Wizards of the west coast is like that I hear, LucasArts is definitely very contrictive, and of course the Lord of the Rings IP was extremely constrictive in creative changes. 

That doesn't necessarily mean that the worlds don't work for an MMO.  Obviously LOTRO has worked ok,  SWG had 250K+ subscribers at one point as well, and even DDO had over 100K at one point, but they are definitely more difficult to work with. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284

Just found this quote on Next-Gen.biz regarding the EA/Bioware deal:

He put in his two cents about BioWare’s unannounced MMO. “We are uncertain over the MMO market demand for their unannounced licensed IP..."

www.next-gen.biz/index.php

Originally posted by thepatriot

Just found this quote on Next-Gen.biz regarding the EA/Bioware deal:

He put in his two cents about BioWare’s unannounced MMO. “We are uncertain over the MMO market demand for their unannounced licensed IP..."

www.next-gen.biz/index.php

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7558&Itemid=2 Direct URL

And the Analyst intervies:

Mike Hickey with Janco Partners said in an investor note today that the Xbox 360 smash Halo 3 and critical darling BioShock could supplement a core market that is being challenged by big Wii buzz.

Hickey wrote, “We believe the recent release of killer content (Halo 3, BioShock), lower hardware price points, and limited Wii (hardware/software) supply could shift market focus from Wii casual to 360 hardcore this holiday.”

Hickey’s statements were part of a preview of Electronic Arts’ quarterly earnings, which will be reported on November 1.

“A market shift toward core gamer platforms (360/PS3) and a potential PS3 price cut (November) should benefit ERTS this holiday,” he added.

The analyst also reiterated that he is “cautiously optimistic” about last week’s $860 million BioWare/Pandemic acquisition by EA.

He put in his two cents about BioWare’s unannounced MMO. “We are uncertain over the MMO market demand for their unannounced licensed IP and game quality (BioWare has no MMO track record).  A competitive MMO release prior to their CY10 or continuation of the WOW subscriber phenomena could capture a large portion of the available market, locking out their economic opportunity.  Regardless, a successful MMO release would be a catalyst for cycle peak margin expansion, in our view.”

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 334

I think seeing that quote in it's entirety and context paints an entirely different picture of it than the snippet of it did.

I don't.  The key part is the licensed IP.  The rest is conjecture about the MMO's possible success and the overall business climate.  This would lend credibility to a KOTOR MMO.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

I don't.  The key part is the licensed IP.  The rest is conjecture about the MMO's possible success and the overall business climate.  This would lend credibility to a KOTOR MMO.

Except the part about the licensed IP may not be factual.

Originally posted by grimfall

Except the part about the licensed IP may not be factual.

Well I never said it was factual.  However an investment analyst might have some inside information.  Or maybe not.  Either way he seems convinced of it.

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/ea_buys_bioware/

More on the recent EA buyout:

"At 2PM mountain time, the staff of BioWare in Edmonton, Canada, and Austin, Texas, were summoned for a company meeting. The staff, viewing each other on video conference screens, were told that as this meeting was going on an announcement was being made of the sale of BioWare-Pandemic to Electronic Arts. Elevation Partners, which had bought into the vision of a super developer dictating terms to publishers, saw John Riccitiello drive up with a dump truck of money – three quarters of a billion dollars, most of it in cash – right up to their doors. While there was an opportunity for a potentially glorious if uncertain future as owners of a giant independent game studio, Elevation Partners saw the bird in hand and decided to enjoy the almost 100% return on investment over two years, depreciation of the American dollar notwithstanding.

The meeting continued, with most consequences, the reasoning behind the buyout and the positives being spelled out for the BioWare staff as they remained mostly silent and attentive. Employees of
    independent game developers don’t work at independent game developers because they like conglomerates like Electronic Arts. This is doubly true in the case of BioWare Austin, where at least a third of the staff is ex-EA. The average gamer, if he could sit down with the average game industry employee, would be surprised to see how much similarity of opinion there is about certain game publishers and their practices.

The company line is no doubt something like “BioWare is thrilled at the opportunity to work with the world’s leading game developer. We have been looking forward to blah blah blah”. A dose of reality can be found by hanging out the BioWare offices and overhearing some honest and refreshing opinions. While this precludes me from naming names, I do live in Edmonton and if there’s one thing I know, it’s where the BioWare offices are."

One can only imagine what  the future holds...but it doesn't sound like EA was ANY part of BioWares plans...

I did some more digging and found something odd.  In EA's press release on their website they state

BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios have ten franchises under development, including six wholly owned games. BioWare Corp. is currently developing the highly anticipated Mass Effect, which will be published by Microsoft in November, and is in the early development stages of a massively multiplayer online game. Pandemic Studios is redefining open-world games with its upcoming Mercenaries 2: World in Flames(TM) and Saboteur(TM), in addition to several unannounced projects.

If you want to listen to the conference call about the purchase you can find it here. (I havne't listened to it)

10 franchises in develpement.  They specifically mention Mass Effect so according to Bioware's website they are working on the following games:

1. Dragon Age
    2. Mass Effect
    3. MMO
    4. Sonic DS
    5. Next Gen game

Pandemic lists the following games:

1. Saboteur
    2. Mercenaries 2
    3. Project B
    4. Project Q
    5. Project Y
    6. Project Z

That's 11 games while the press release mentions 10 franchises so two of these games must be the same IP or one of the games has been cancelled.

The only Bioware game that could be cancelled due to not being mentioned in the press release or commented on recently would be the "Next Gen" game.  Any of the 4 unannouced Pandemic project could be on the chopping block. 

However let's stick to the franchise list instead.  The press release states 6 wholly owned franchises and 4 are named in the press release or in interviews:

1. Mass Effect
    2. Dragon Age
    3. Saboteur
    4. Mercenaries 2

According to the respective websites the owned franchises by Bioware/Pandemic (not necessarily currently in development) are:

1. Jade Empire
    2. Mass Effect
    3. Dragon Age
    4. Mercenaries
    5. Destroy All Humans
    6. Saboteur
    7. Full Spectrum Warrior

So we have 4 confirmed wholly owned franchises out of 6 in production.  As for known liscensed games in production the only one I can see is Sonic DS, that leaves 3 unamed liscensed games.  Pandemic did both of the SW:Battlefront games so I wouldn't be surprised if one of their secret projects is a new Battlefront game.  As for Bioware either the MMO or the Next Gen game could be liscensed or maybe both. 

What does this all mean.  I don't know but if anyone can fill in the holes of the 2 remaining wholly owned IPs or the 3 liscensed ones that would help a lot.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

"As for how the 10 new franchises spaced out over the next few years, the company confirmed that it would be fairly evenly over the 2009, 2010, and 2011 fiscal years, revealing that the BioWare MMO currently in development at BioWare Austin is planned towards the back half of that three year outlook."
    What happened to 2009? By 2011 who knows how many OTHER competitors they'll have to face in the market too.. :
    You do realize that they said back *half*, right--not back *third*. The back half of that time span would be sometime in 2010, not 2011.

Besides, 2009 was the first date to have been thrown out for the MMOs release. I would have figured by now that most people, upon hearing an intitial release date for an MMO, would automatically add 1 to 2 years anyway. Honestly, when was the last time an MMO came out according to its very first release projection?

Originally posted by darquenblade

"As for how the 10 new franchises spaced out over the next few years, the company confirmed that it would be fairly evenly over the 2009, 2010, and 2011 fiscal years, revealing that the BioWare MMO currently in development at BioWare Austin is planned towards the back half of that three year outlook."
    What happened to 2009? By 2011 who knows how many OTHER competitors they'll have to face in the market too.. :
    You do realize that they said back *half*, right--not back *third*. The back half of that time span would be sometime in 2010, not 2011.

Besides, 2009 was the first date to have been thrown out for the MMOs release. I would have figured by now that most people, upon hearing an intitial release date for an MMO, would automatically add 1 to 2 years anyway. Honestly, when was the last time an MMO came out according to its very first release projection?

True enough, my bad.

SOE's lisence which I 'read' was 3 year contract was last renewed in 2006 I think which means IF this is true [don't take my word for this as Fact] SWG would drop in 2009 giving BioWare SW enough clearance if they wanted to play it out like that -------- IF the I were SW.

Also... we know the Devs have already been playing the new MMO, whatever it is, they're using the HeroEngine to develop it which really can speed up the process - But now 2010/possibly 11? Does that mean they're making the game even bigger than they hoped to due to a surge in funding from EA? How huge will it be to take so long... a UNIVERSE?

With such a long wait it's almost like we're better off just forgetting about it for a while  if only there could be any kind of updates to the people eagerly awaiting... I hope after the release of Mass Effect we could maybe hear something.

For all those who do want it to be SW tho... ask what is better ... NOT hearing anything for now [as an announcement coud/would hurt the already hurting SWG + possibly other reasons] or hearing something soon and finding out it is indeed NOT Star Wars related...

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/biowares-upcoming-mmo-based-in-kotor-universe/

BioWare’s Upcoming MMO Based in KOTOR Universe

By Alex Petraglia on Friday, October 19, 2007 at 10:00 AM EST  

A source close to BioWare confirmed to us today that the studio’s upcoming untitled massively-multiplayer online RPG will be centered around the Star Wars universe, specifically that of Knights of the Old Republic, which the developer released in 2003. The game garnered critical acclaim and spawned a less-popular sequel, released by Obsidian two years later.

The game is being developed by the company’s Austin studio, formed in 2006 and headed by BioWare Creative Director James Ohlen, whose past credits include the first KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, and Baldur Gate’s I and II.

This is not the first Star Wars-related MMORPG: Star Wars Galaxies debuted in the summer of 2003, followed by several expansions. It was generally well-received by fans and critics, but subscriber numbers plunged and never recovered after a controversial gameplay update in 2005. It’s estimated that the game now has fewer than 100,000 subscribers and less than 20,000 active players.

It’s currently unknown whether or not EA, which acquired BioWare last week, will act as publisher for this title, or if the studio had a previous arrangement with another publisher.

Expect the game sometime in 2009.

Editor’s Note- As no media from the game has yet been made available, the screenshot above is from the first KOTOR title.

• SabrelSabrel Member UncommonPosts: 41

According to the respective websites the owned franchises by Bioware/Pandemic (not necessarily currently in development) are:

Jade Empire
    Mass Effect
    Dragon Age
    Mercenaries
    Destroy All Humans
    Saboteur
    Full Spectrum Warrior

Just as a note, Destroy All Humans is owned by Pandemic's then-publisher THQ. So, barring some kind of licensing deal, Pandemic will not be making any more Destroy All Humans games.

• JagerMichaelJagerMichael Member Posts: 181

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/biowares-upcoming-mmo-based-in-kotor-universe/

A source close to BioWare confirmed to us today that the studio’s upcoming untitled massively-multiplayer online RPG will be centered around the Star Wars universe, specifically that of Knights of the Old Republic, which the developer released in 2003. The game garnered critical acclaim and spawned a less-popular sequel, released by Obsidian two years later.
    The game is being developed by the company’s Austin studio, formed in 2006 and headed by BioWare Creative Director James Ohlen, whose past credits include the first KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, and Baldur Gate’s I and II.
    This is not the first Star Wars-related MMORPG: Star Wars Galaxies debuted in the summer of 2003, followed by several expansions. It was generally well-received by fans and critics, but subscriber numbers plunged and never recovered after a controversial gameplay update in 2005. It’s estimated that the game now has fewer than 100,000 subscribers and less than 20,000 active players.
    It’s currently unknown whether or not EA, which acquired BioWare last week, will act as publisher for this title, or if the studio had a previous arrangement with another publisher.
    Editor’s Note- As no media from the game has yet been made available, the screenshot above is from the first KOTOR title.

Very nice find.

Originally posted by JagerMichael

Very nice find.

OMFG IF THIS IS TRUE IM GOING TO CUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS THANK YOU GOD!!!

• mrskippymrskippy Member CommonPosts: 114

If true, this is great news. As much as I was intrigued by SWG (I still play, since I have the Station Access service), the game wasn't everything I wanted.

What would having a KOTOR mean for SWG?

Hopefully it happens, because I think Star Wars still is perfect fodder for an MMO. IMHO, I've always felt MMOs should have themes, topics, etc. that the gamer knows/understands/relates to. I think that is the strength of games like DDO, LOTOR, WOW, EQ/EQ2, etc ... with WOW's other strength being the ease/simplicity of gameplay.