Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultra High Detail??

2»

Comments

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Bought myself an HD2900XT and it runs really, really smooth, even with my 1 gig ram :D  too bad the graphics can't compensate the boring gameplay :s

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• Bl@ckVoidBl@ckVoid Member UncommonPosts: 115

32-bit XP in LOTR.

And i was playing DDO on AMD64-3500, 6800GT AGP 256Mb, 2Gb ram. Hitching was bad, memory leak too.

It was commonly accepted during beta that it was a problem of  nvidia  cards and  Turbine's engine. with various degrees of severity. The more video memory you had the less crashes you got.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by erandur

Bought myself an HD2900XT and it runs really, really smooth, even with my 1 gig ram :D  too bad the graphics can't compensate the boring gameplay :s
    LOL!

That is quite funny...bet it looked "purty"...but pretty only goes so far...

Man, I wish we could get a unique setting in an MMO...Maybe the Stargate MMO?

Ah well....I at least have a friend in EQ2 for now (I play a few others also...been playing Tabula Rasa which is ok, and Perfect World...which has the flying mechanic...talk about gorgeous and cool...but more empty grinding..)

Cheers!

• GimeGime Member Posts: 79

I play EQ2 on ultra with no issues and LOTR on ultra with no issues... no over heating, nothing.

I must be lucky. ;)

Originally posted by Gime

I play EQ2 on ultra with no issues and LOTR on ultra with no issues... no over heating, nothing.
    I must be lucky. ;)
    Zero heat issues here as well...and I have my e6600 clocked like a muther (got lucky and had one of the B0 cores...1333 bus with air cooling...clocked at 3.0Ghz...hehe), and when I did that, oh man, did EQ2 get even smoother (but it is CPU intensive...wish they would switch to DX9 coding for the engine...would definitely rock on the 8800)

But, I just had zero luck with LOTRO...there is only one other game doing this...and it is still closed beta (can't say...but the hint is "Et Tu Brute")...and it is quite shoddy performance as well...but Tabula Rasa runs real sweet, Bioshock, Jericho all full effects and no hiccups...

As to your setup...yes, quite lucky...but, do you have a 79x series card? I think I remember reading that on the EQ2 thread...as my wifes 7950gt works fine with the game...glad they both work well.

Anyways...cheers to ya...and have a good one!

• GimeGime Member Posts: 79

Yeah, I posted my specs somewhere.

7900GT 256Mb.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by openedge1

I must be lucky. ;)
    Zero heat issues here as well...and I have my e6600 clocked like a muther (got lucky and had one of the B0 cores...1333 bus with air cooling...clocked at 3.0Ghz...hehe), and when I did that, oh man, did EQ2 get even smoother (but it is CPU intensive...wish they would switch to DX9 coding for the engine...would definitely rock on the 8800)

But, I just had zero luck with LOTRO...there is only one other game doing this...and it is still closed beta (can't say...but the hint is "Et Tu Brute")...and it is quite shoddy performance as well...but Tabula Rasa runs real sweet, Bioshock, Jericho all full effects and no hiccups...

As to your setup...yes, quite lucky...but, do you have a 79x series card? I think I remember reading that on the EQ2 thread...as my wifes 7950gt works fine with the game...glad they both work well.

They haven't updated to DX9 in EQ2 yet? O.o

Geeze... given that they've got a forward-looking approach to their engine, that the game will look better and better as tech improves... I'd have figured they'd be at least somewhat on top of that.

Interesting. I'd be curious to see how much improved the performance could be if they did.

I'm not sure it would help things like loading up in Qeynos Harbor or E. Freeport, as that seems to be more to do with loading assets than graphics processing (though it has alot of that as well)... but heh... maybe I could start using the real-time environmental shadows without my PC leaving me death threats.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by WSIMike

I must be lucky. ;)

Geeze... given that they've got a forward-looking approach to their engine, that the game will look better and better as tech improves... I'd have figured they'd be at least somewhat on top of that.

Interesting. I'd be curious to see how much improved the performance could be if they did.

I'm not sure it would help things like loading up in Qeynos Harbor or E. Freeport, as that seems to be more to do with loading assets than graphics processing (though it has alot of that as well)... but heh... maybe I could start using the real-time environmental shadows without my PC leaving me death threats.

It is those evil shaders...they are so 90's (lol)

Anytime shadows are on...then crash for me...hate that...as they look really good..

I also agree...if that engine got an overhaul...who knows...at least they are discussing changes to the skeletal system, which is suppose to kill those long loads (less skeletal forms needed, equals less load and cpu usage..)

Now, if what they say is true about LOTRO and their engine update to DX10, and the performance enhancements to the playability, it could really rock...I heard the changes were in DDO for some hitching issues...so, I have my trial key and plan to test that..I so hope it works out...because I just want to level my Hunter in LOTRO (I am such a completionist..lol)

Cheers!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by WSIMike

I must be lucky. ;)

It is those evil shaders...they are so 90's (lol)

Anytime shadows are on...then crash for me...hate that...as they look really good..

I also agree...if that engine got an overhaul...who knows...at least they are discussing changes to the skeletal system, which is suppose to kill those long loads (less skeletal forms needed, equals less load and cpu usage..)

Now, if what they say is true about LOTRO and their engine update to DX10, and the performance enhancements to the playability, it could really rock...I heard the changes were in DDO for some hitching issues...so, I have my trial key and plan to test that..I so hope it works out...because I just want to level my Hunter in LOTRO (I am such a completionist..lol)

Cheers!

Hunter! Woot! Heheh that's what my toon is in LoTRO. Though everyone uses me for my run buff -.-.

I'm back in FFXI now - can only be away from that game for so long before I start missing it. Plus with the new expansion coming out... ...drool... Oops.. sorry 'bout that... heheh...

I enjoy LoTRO and think it's a fun game and a great "pick up and play" counterpart to FFXI, which requires more time and prep. But, LoTRO couldn't replace FFXI for me. Don't think any so-called "casual friendly" MMO could... but... never say never.

Anyway... back on topic...

I didn't get to see enough of DDO to notice hitching, really. Never got out of the starting area before I felt like it just wasn't what I was looking for. The game didn't grab me, really. I think I've been "spoiled" by  playing on NwN persistent worlds for 1.5 years. It 's defined the kind of experience I want now when ever I play an online D&D game.

As for the hitching in LoTRO... Yeah, they'll address it as best they can. For some it'll be a marked improvement, and that's really cool. For others, it'll be a bit smoother, I guess. For me personally - and I really don't know what I have or how I have it configured to do so - but LoTRO just doesn't hitch that much for me at all, except in certain areas. I know in AC2 it was terrible. I'd get it bad from time to time, but my sister was trying to play and she'd literally freeze in place for like.. 10-20 seconds at a stretch. It was literally unplayable for her.

In any case, it's good that they're on top of it at least.

As for EQ2... if/when they get around to updating the engine to DX9 (that still amazes me heh).. I'll probably re-up the account and see how much more I can squeeze out of it.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops