Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YOUR Dream MMO.

Heres a list of ALL the things that would describe my DREAM MMO.

• No levels. 100% skill based, you buy skills/gear from NPC's OR get them as Drops, or buy them off other players, OR craft them (including skills)
  • Skills and gear from drops, NPC's, Players, and crafting are ALL equally good. But all of them are unique in their own ways.
  • NO classes. Be whatever you want. Each player can wield all sorts of gear, mail plate cloth leather etc. But each kind of armour has their advantages, and their disadvantages. Same with weapons. You finish deeds (like in LOTRO) and get the ability to equip certain armours and weapons.
  • Alot of character customization, kinda like CoH/CoV. A great variety of races.
  • Free For All PvP - With FULL player looting. (Yeah, sounds like Darkfall doesnt it?)
  • Sieging. Destroyable building's and cities made by players AND npc's. A group of players can destroy other cities, but they're guarded by .. well... GUARDS. And in the end, you get rewarded like saaaaay you get what the city was worth and its divided amongst the players.
  • Player owned houses and guild halls. BOTH instances like in the future of LOTRO.
  • No button smashing, not FPS either. Like TCoS or AoC or Darkfall (without the 1s person).
  • Mount combat.
  • Naval combat.
  • Other players can board your ships, naval combat mainly like PotBS.
  • A major role of player economy, MOST of the items in game to be player crafted.
  • A fair bit of grinding aswell as questing.
  • Amazing animations.
  • Good looking spells, not like Fury though - so much light and explosions you cant even see wtf is happening.
  • Ofcourse, top of the line graphics with an AMAZING engine.
  • In a fantasy setting, with a mix of mideval.
  • Ability to train your own armies (of maximum 10 soldiers), Squad combat ... like Guildwars ? (Plays minor role - you dont NEED them to play)
  • Flying mounts aswell.
  • Gainable titles like in LOTRO, but they give you buffs.
  • Arena's ; like from WoW, but only small and short - kinda like GuildWars.
  • NO HEALING! Mentioning arena's from guildwars reminded me of the healfest.
  • Massive gear customization, logo's on armour - writings on swords, blood on your axes, cracks on your hammer. You can customize your gear while crafting, customization depends on how much raw material you use, say one bar of iron can only make a small dagger. This also determines the speed and damage. 10 bars would make a 2 handed mace, therefore slower but more damage. Crafting system such that almost no gear looks similar.

Well thats what I want. The closest thing to my list is definately Darkfall, but im slowly losing interest looking at the graphics slowly getting outdated and the First Person view kinda looked gay from the videos. But only time will tell.

What do YOU want in your dream MMO?

(Im bored, thats why I just wrote that! Theres almost no good MMO out there for me atm)

Played almost everything...
Currently playing nothing...
Waiting for: Darkfall, WAR, Guild Wars 2.

Comments

• Skyline416Skyline416 Member Posts: 21

AoC Graphics

AC1 Gameplay

EQ2 Content

WoW Appeal

DAoC PvP

SWG Character Creation

AO community  ( I haven't been playing long but these guys are really helpful )

------------------------------
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    EVGA 8800GTS 640mb video card
    4 Gigs of Ram
    Windows Vista Home 64 bit
    ------------------------------

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

Similar to the "Too many MMOs" thread...

Sci-Fi world

Skill-based, no classes

Planetside targeting/combat (no aim assist)

DAoC PvP

All player created gear with components dropped by PvE or crafted

Crafting complexity on par with SWG/EQ2

1st person

Realistic lighting (night is DARK not just a blue hue shift with daytime clipping plane)

Established IP perhaps (eg Star Wars, Star Trek, 40K, Starcraft)

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• XebecXebec Member Posts: 63

My dream MMO?

Easy. That would be a free version of EVE Online

• PicklefootPicklefoot Member Posts: 218

Lineage II without the grind.

--------------------------------------------------

• BeaNo999BeaNo999 Member UncommonPosts: 63

I like your list, however i'd change 2 things.

Healing would be in it, but not in the ''press 1 button and get a big chunk of health'' all heals would be dot types.

Wouldn't want another fantasy world filled with elves dorfs humans and a generic small race.

Basically my perfect mmo would be your list set in a Star Wars world (replace naval with a decent and seamless space combat).

Won't happen but gotta love a dream.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Just gotta ask the OP. Why would you not want levels, and then ask for a mix of grind and quests? Other than that a fairly solid list.

• LeemegLeemeg Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by xenogias

Just gotta ask the OP. Why would you not want levels, and then ask for a mix of grind and quests? Other than that a fairly solid list.

Direct levels in a skill system isn't needed. I do look on levels as a easy road for developers to add progression and balance.  We get alot more interesting system without it. The drawback without levels is that its more expensive and harder for the developers to make a working system.

--
    Leemeg.

• ThunD2ThunD2 Member Posts: 20

I (can have fun with)/(like) almost all styles of MMOs...However I hate almost all of the comunities out there .How about hackers? My dream MMO would be a really kind community with zero hacks , without asian gold farmers and brazilians.(I wouldn't mind about them if they were able to speak english , but most aren't able to , so...)

• 8299482994 Member Posts: 99

you basically names what i want in an MMO except graphics arent to big for meas long as they're decent

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

Not a bad list, however putting it all in one game would like leave a good half of it unused by most players, it also doesn't mean that the game would be any fun (even though the ideas are good)

• GimeGime Member Posts: 79

So it sounded like you were talking about Ultima Online for a second, mixed with some others.

I don't mind skill based games, but what about the casual player or someone who doesn't play 15 hours a day like myself...

Would I be assed out because some 13 year old can play and I get to play once in a while... 

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

Skill based games allow casual players a more even playing field than any other type. You just have to specialize more. The hardcore players will have more skills, but not be overpowering like the typical level/gear differential. With a good skill system you can be competitive in a short amount of time as long as the best gear is kept in the hands of the crafters and not put on raid mobs.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• LodeclawLodeclaw Member Posts: 148

Infinity: The Quest for Earth is the closes thing to my dream sci-fi MMORPG at the moment...

I would really love to see a fantasy MMORPG that follows the same method of thinking as Infinity.

The number one thing that I want as the OP mentioned would have to be no classes. NO CLASSES. Oh, and no levels, only skills and techniques.

===========
    The Guild is all about making MMORPGs more immersive, and more importantly, more fun! Join us!
    The Guild.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498

SWG as it was in the beginning, with bug fixes and JTL added and NO Jedi (at least not as they did them).

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Many of the ideas the OP lists are good ones.  Of course, they are all ideas that have been mentioned before because a lot of gamers would love to see the same things in an MMO.  But I don't think you can describe what your "dream MMO" would be without saying what your ideal setting or world would be.  One of the points listed is lore and that's a very important one.  A game is not going to be much fun if it does not exist in a world that has a history and a story behind it.  It's what makes you want to live in that world.  What are the kingdoms and empires that rule that world?  Who are their chief rivals?  What are the most powerful items and what's the history behind them.  What are the most dangerous creatures and where do they live?  These are the things that are essential to a successful MMO.  You have to start there, then you can talk about the mechanics of the game.  Great gameplay placed in drab lifeless world will get boring pretty fast.  Of course, the reverse is true as well.  Lousy mechanics built into a beautiful world gets old too.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I primarily enjoy skill based games myself, but I disagree slightly with the idea of being able to 'be whatever you want to be'. In other words if you create a character that is going to be focused on magic, you might find yourself having a hard time wearing heavy armor. Not because you are class restricted from doing so, but because you'll find your strength too low after putting all your attribute points into intelligence & wisdom. Etc..

Having many choices is fun. But having choices vs. consequences forces you to think - which is even funner.

• billyjreedbillyjreed Member Posts: 1

My dream MMO would consist of:

-Solo content and quests but with the greatest rewards coming from party quests

-PVE and free PVP (in fields and dungeons, but not in towns)

-Player driven economy

-A tier'd arena where parties of 3 could battle for fame and rare weapons and items.

-An immersive lore. (Not necissarily story, but a backstory on the game world)

-Players can actually make a name for themselves (in-game) and affect the upcoming events.

-More in game events. Nothing too large of a scale, but just something extra and fun thrown in every now and then.

-Fairly decent character customization.

• macumbabrmacumbabr Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by freakomar

Heres a list of ALL the things that would describe my DREAM MMO.

No levels. 100% skill based, you buy skills/gear from NPC's OR get them as Drops, or buy them off other players, OR craft them (including skills)
    Skills and gear from drops, NPC's, Players, and crafting are ALL equally good. But all of them are unique in their own ways.
    NO classes. Be whatever you want. Each player can wield all sorts of gear, mail plate cloth leather etc. But each kind of armour has their advantages, and their disadvantages. Same with weapons. You finish deeds (like in LOTRO) and get the ability to equip certain armours and weapons.
    Alot of character customization, kinda like CoH/CoV. A great variety of races.
    Free For All PvP - With FULL player looting. (Yeah, sounds like Darkfall doesnt it?)
    Sieging. Destroyable building's and cities made by players AND npc's. A group of players can destroy other cities, but they're guarded by .. well... GUARDS. And in the end, you get rewarded like saaaaay you get what the city was worth and its divided amongst the players.
    Player owned houses and guild halls. BOTH instances like in the future of LOTRO.
    No button smashing, not FPS either. Like TCoS or AoC or Darkfall (without the 1s person).
    Mount combat.
    Naval combat.
    Other players can board your ships, naval combat mainly like PotBS.
    A major role of player economy, MOST of the items in game to be player crafted.
    A fair bit of grinding aswell as questing.
    Amazing animations.
    Good looking spells, not like Fury though - so much light and explosions you cant even see wtf is happening.
    Ofcourse, top of the line graphics with an AMAZING engine.
    In a fantasy setting, with a mix of mideval.
    Ability to train your own armies (of maximum 10 soldiers), Squad combat ... like Guildwars ? (Plays minor role - you dont NEED them to play)
    Flying mounts aswell.
    Gainable titles like in LOTRO, but they give you buffs.
    Arena's ; like from WoW, but only small and short - kinda like GuildWars.
    NO HEALING! Mentioning arena's from guildwars reminded me of the healfest.
    Massive gear customization, logo's on armour - writings on swords, blood on your axes, cracks on your hammer. You can customize your gear while crafting, customization depends on how much raw material you use, say one bar of iron can only make a small dagger. This also determines the speed and damage. 10 bars would make a 2 handed mace, therefore slower but more damage. Crafting system such that almost no gear looks similar.

Well thats what I want. The closest thing to my list is definately Darkfall, but im slowly losing interest looking at the graphics slowly getting outdated and the First Person view kinda looked gay from the videos. But only time will tell.
    What do YOU want in your dream MMO?
    (Im bored, thats why I just wrote that! Theres almost no good MMO out there for me atm)
    look at this http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/heerobya/092007/483_My-perfect-MMORPG-Part-7-PVE-Part-2

it is a part of perfect game that a guy was posting

IF PUSHED KILLING IS AS EASY AS BREATHING

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

Eve Online with twitch based combat or Eve Online's system in a terrestrial world with at least some twitch based or strategic fighting involved. Or turned based combat. I don't care. Just as long as it's not mind numbing, repetitive combat and a world that is as immersive as Eve.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Funny, many things the Op stated are in Eve-Online.. :D

My perfect MMO would basically be Eve, with the addition of several things.

Today, we got 5000 Solar systems. Make that 30k+ Systems + 5k Highsec systems. I LOVE the idea of deserted Space where noone lives, hours of travelling away from the civilization. Where small groups of people settle down.

Add small structures for the people. Mini-Pos, similar to a small hut in the woods. Anchorable anywhere in space. Nothing big.

Include so many systems, that even small corporations with few members or even single players can go into 0.0 without anyone claiming the systems.

There would still be a market, an economy, but also a space where you have to build your own stuff, because the next merchant may be half an hour of travelling away.

Add a modular shipsystem. Not "put that module into my ship and it does that and this", but "what happens if i glue that engine to this style of weapon subsystem + many, many hardpoints for guns and some duct tape to hold everything together" (that would be a minimatar-style ship..)

Make the High-security-space decentralized. maybe some interconnections that maybe cost something to use, but make the amarrian space an isle in huge unexplored 0.0 area and do the same for other empires too.

Eves space is of epic dimensions, but with the one-server-philosophy everywhere you go you step on each others toes. Make it truly deserted in some areas, so deserted that you can settle without a major alliance shooting at you, because even for alliances this space would be too big. Having to be in large-scale-operations to live deep space is a big turnoff for me tbh.

Meeting a player would be more interesting. Will he be friend or will he try to kill me and take my stuff?

Another thing would be to be able to settle down on planets.

So basically take Eve and put more Space in it. Then put in some second-life-like system to add stuff into it. Oh, and add more space into space.

Did i mention i want more space? ;)

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

- 2-D graphics like Ragnarok but more detailed and less cutesy

- Epic Realm Vs Realm gameplay built into it from the start, ie... taking castles, etc.

- Tons of classes, like 20+

- Lot's of randomness to the game.... Dragons attacking cities without warning, etc.

Really that's all I want. I have a thing for 2-D games, sadly they are very rare these days, so yeah I don't see an MMO like that being made.

• sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

The hardcore players (the minority) will not agree with this but then again, their aren't enough of them to support an MMO by themselves so they rely on the casual players for a game to play.

1.  No leveling.  Only skill progression, ability progression, etc.

2. No forced grouping of any kind and for the love of God, no raiding!  There should be nothing in the game that cannot be obtained through solo play.  I can interact with others just fine without having to group with you so get over it.

3. E-peen City.  The place where people gather to tell tales of battles, to show off newly obtained feats, armor, weapons, etc.

4. Kinda falls in with number 2 but... solo content. Warcraft is so popular because you can solo to level 70.... then it sucks because you have absolutely nothing else to do but reputation grind (this is all their pvp amounts to)  or honor grind (for those that detest forced grouping).  Since there will be no leveling, you can always be working to improve your character through learned skills, trade skills, advanced abilities, etc.

5. No PvP.  If you want a PvP game, go play one.  Funny how they almost all flop.  WoW has tried to do both and is failing at it miserably; upsetting the balance of one side while trying to appease the other. 

6. Make it something besides orcs and trolls and dragons.  That is one over used genre.

7. Have it so someone who joins the game 2 years after launch is not gimped or cannot have fun.  Join WoW now and you're all alone except for twinks.  Good luck getting group quests done as well.

8.  Make it fun.  Yes, I said it... FUN.  If you call your game "work", then you have a problem.  You "worked hard" for your epics, etc.  That always makes me laugh.

Too bad this will never happen because developers are too afraid to think outside the box.  

• macumbabrmacumbabr Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by sonicsix

The hardcore players (the minority) will not agree with this but then again, their aren't enough of them to support an MMO by themselves so they rely on the casual players for a game to play.

1.  No leveling.  Only skill progression, ability progression, etc.
    2. No forced grouping of any kind and for the love of God, no raiding!  There should be nothing in the game that cannot be obtained through solo play.  I can interact with others just fine without having to group with you so get over it.
    3. E-peen City.  The place where people gather to tell tales of battles, to show off newly obtained feats, armor, weapons, etc.
    4. Kinda falls in with number 2 but... solo content. Warcraft is so popular because you can solo to level 70.... then it sucks because you have absolutely nothing else to do but reputation grind (this is all their pvp amounts to)  or honor grind (for those that detest forced grouping).  Since there will be no leveling, you can always be working to improve your character through learned skills, trade skills, advanced abilities, etc.
    5. No PvP.  If you want a PvP game, go play one.  Funny how they almost all flop.  WoW has tried to do both and is failing at it miserably; upsetting the balance of one side while trying to appease the other. 
    6. Make it something besides orcs and trolls and dragons.  That is one over used genre.
    7. Have it so someone who joins the game 2 years after launch is not gimped or cannot have fun.  Join WoW now and you're all alone except for twinks.  Good luck getting group quests done as well.
    8.  Make it fun.  Yes, I said it... FUN.  If you call your game "work", then you have a problem.  You "worked hard" for your epics, etc.  That always makes me laugh.

Too bad this will never happen because developers are too afraid to think outside the box.  

like you i dont like pvp, but some people like you dont have to take it off, just dont make the players that dont like HAVE to do it sometime in game

IF PUSHED KILLING IS AS EASY AS BREATHING

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Thats easy..........

SWG  just as it was post release. No jedi, no invulnerability Doc buffs.  When it was pure and good. That was the one MMO that let us live the dream. That experience has never been duplicated or matched.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Pynda

I primarily enjoy skill based games myself, but I disagree slightly with the idea of being able to 'be whatever you want to be'. In other words if you create a character that is going to be focused on magic, you might find yourself having a hard time wearing heavy armor. Not because you are class restricted from doing so, but because you'll find your strength too low after putting all your attribute points into intelligence & wisdom. Etc..
    Having many choices is fun. But having choices vs. consequences forces you to think - which is even funner.

Isn't the solution obvious? NO ATTRIBUTE POINTS.

-----------------------

My dream MMO:

-Levels. I prefer them to skill based systems.

-No classes.

-Good quests. It won't be quest-driven, and the rewards are mostly items instead of experience. I want LONG, CHALLENGING, and UNIQUE quests. None of that "Kill 30 cows" nonsense.

-Grind. Not too much, though.

-Decent graphics. I don't care that much about graphics, but I want them good enough so that it's immersive.

-Balanced PvP.

-Good map. I want a medium to large map that has a lot of unique places to explore.

-Content. Lots of things to do, regardless of level.

-Good economy, with reasonable prices for items.

That basically sums it up for me.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.