Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Halo 3 runs at 640p...

2»

Comments

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

For the sake of comparison, you can always take good images and bad images from a game.  For instance, these are all images I PERSONALLY took in Halo 3 (if you don't believe me, check my online Bungie profile with my Gamertag below):

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• GimeGime Member Posts: 79

Still not impressed.  Halo 3 doesn't even use all of the XBOX... so what's the point?

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Can someone please shed some light on why this game is so great and how it differs from the numerous other FPS's I have played in the past. For me, cliche storyline, mediocre graphics and uninspired/same old combat is underserving of any hype.

O_o o_O

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Gime

Halo 3 doesn't even use all of the XBOX... so what's the point?

So in your mind a game only has good graphics if it uses all of the power in the console?

• kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

Can someone please shed some light on why this game is so great and how it differs from the numerous other FPS's I have played in the past. For me, cliche storyline, mediocre graphics and uninspired/same old combat is underserving of any hype.

You just figured that out?  Ever since Halo2 came out, I have had a hatred towards the overrating of Halo.

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
    My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

• smiley123smiley123 Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by KnivesOnly

Anyone see all this
    http://www.gamerawr.com/2007/09/28/halo-3-only-runs-at-640p/

more like did anyone see this?

www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx

You Owe me 80p!

One item making the interwebs rounds this week was the scandalous revelation that Halo 3 runs at “640p” which isn’t even technically a resolution. However, the interweb detectives did notice that Halo 3’s vertical resolution, when captured from a frame buffer, is indeed 640 pixels. So what gives? Did we short change you 80 pixels?

Naturally it’s more complicated than that. In fact, you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see – lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible – so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately “real” feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels. Making this decision simpler still is the fact that the 360 scales the

“almost-720p” image effortlessly all the way up to 1080p if you so desire.

In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it’s practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet’s propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven’t mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.

• smiley123smiley123 Member UncommonPosts: 174

Don't buy into that rumor, why because "MS owns bungie". Why would ms let there top 1st party maker leave ?

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Originally posted by smiley123

Don't buy into that rumor, why because "MS owns bungie". Why would ms let there top 1st party maker leave ?

A name is just a name, nothing more. A name is nothing without the people behind it. The fact behind the rumor is Bungie is nothing more than a name now, the Halo series is over, and many, if not all, of the developers under Bungie will leave, just like the founder did after Halo 1. They are going to be sacked by MS anyways eventually, and I doubt alot of those people want to keep fucking with an already overhyped series, and want to move onto other projects. Its how the industy moves and works.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

another halo 3 screenshot :D

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Originally posted by methane47

another halo 3 screenshot :D

Oh dear the poor guy in the middle has something up his nose 

Really hto i wish you would stop showing the bad screenshots of this game otherwise the halo fanbois will cry foul.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Originally posted by methane47

Originally posted by BobCrazyton

What the hell? How the hell did they end up looking like that? Halo 3 doesn't have the best graphics, but they're not THAT bad.

sadly it does though.. Halo's open face human characters are pretty crappy......

Heh, I kinda figured that when I saw the admiral/captain/whatever/guy wearing the white suit's face.