Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving EQ2 another go with Kunark

LarcoLarco Member Posts: 7

Hi

Tried EQ2 back for a couple of months when it came out and didn't really get on with it. But I keep reading about how the game has matured and have been thinking of giving it another go for quite a while. Given the cost of buying expansions individually and the fact that everyone else is max level, Ive been inclined to wait for a gold pack or, better, an all in one expansion to come along. Which seems to pretty much sum up the Fae expansion, but, hey, Im a few months too late for that :( Which leads me to Kunark.... I'd be grateful for some advice

- As I understand it Kunark will bundle all the previous expansions; and it will include a new race and a new starter area. Is that right?

- Is the new starter area just for the new race or can you play any race - and are you limited to one (good / evil) side? Keen to start somewhere where I might find some compadres, but not sure I want to find myself limited to playing an evil KOS two headed pigdog or whatever they've come up with this time for 70 levels.

- Are there likely to be many peeps joining up / rerolling when the new expansion comes out?  Prob imposs to answer, but did the Fae expansion rejuvenate the lower levels any?

- Obligatory class question. Sorry. Personally, I play MMOs to group but I recognise I'm likely to find myself soloing alot joining late. Any suggestions as to a class that's in demand for groups,  but can solo ok (and is fun to solo) when it needs to? If it helps, Ive never much liked healing, but am otherwise flexible - have played casters, melee dps and tanks in a variety of games. Prefer toons that have got a few options avilable to them and need a bit more tactical nouse than hitting autoattack and making a coffee.

- What's a good server to (re)start on? In EQ1 SOE introduced Stromm in 2003(?) which was fantastic if you were new to the game - any sign of something similar for EQ2?. Failing that, could anyone suggest a good EURO server with a decent low end population?

Apologies as ever if all this has been asked before. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

If you want to start now and get the EoF pack (all xp include) you can always go to www.direct2drive.com

eqnext.wikia.com

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by Larco

Hi
    - As I understand it Kunark will bundle all the previous expansions; and it will include a new race and a new starter area. Is that right?
    Kunark will be sold as all inclusive with all expansions.
    - Is the new starter area just for the new race or can you play any race - and are you limited to one (good / evil) side? Keen to start somewhere where I might find some compadres, but not sure I want to find myself limited to playing an evil KOS two headed pigdog or whatever they've come up with this time for 70 levels.
    The new starter town is neutral, for neutral races. Sarnak, human, half-elf, barbarian, kerra, gnome and erudites will be able to start there.
    - Are there likely to be many peeps joining up / rerolling when the new expansion comes out?  Prob imposs to answer, but did the Fae expansion rejuvenate the lower levels any?
    Absolutely!!
    - Obligatory class question. Sorry. Personally, I play MMOs to group but I recognise I'm likely to find myself soloing alot joining late. Any suggestions as to a class that's in demand for groups,  but can solo ok (and is fun to solo) when it needs to? If it helps, Ive never much liked healing, but am otherwise flexible - have played casters, melee dps and tanks in a variety of games. Prefer toons that have got a few options avilable to them and need a bit more tactical nouse than hitting autoattack and making a coffee.
    Play what ya like, or dabble in a few things and find out for yourself. They're all soloable. Summoners will have the upper hand throughout the whole game, and Enchanters/Wizards will have the upper hand late in the game (although the Enchanters are slow starters). But they can all solo, although the Guardian will be best desired in groups than solo (For example, by himself, a guardian is a very slow soloer, but put a dps'er with him and they will mow through mobs like a lawnboy, better than most duo/groups).
    - What's a good server to (re)start on? In EQ1 SOE introduced Stromm in 2003(?) which was fantastic if you were new to the game - any sign of something similar for EQ2?. Failing that, could anyone suggest a good EURO server with a decent low end population?
    I don't keep track of all the server populations because, well, I just don't care, but we are full on my server. We don't need any more on Butcherblock, so please pick another.
    Apologies as ever if all this has been asked before. Thanks in advance for any advice.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• AlchemdaAlchemda Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by Larco

Hi
    Tried EQ2 back for a couple of months when it came out and didn't really get on with it. But I keep reading about how the game has matured and have been thinking of giving it another go for quite a while. Given the cost of buying expansions individually and the fact that everyone else is max level, Ive been inclined to wait for a gold pack or, better, an all in one expansion to come along. Which seems to pretty much sum up the Fae expansion, but, hey, Im a few months too late for that :( Which leads me to Kunark.... I'd be grateful for some advice
    There are still quite a bit of people in the beginner zones. Not so much when you start in Freeport or Qeynos, but there are alot of people that are starting in Kelethin and Neriak. Darklight and Faydark are quite populated.
    Yes, same with EoF
    Same with what other person said.
    Absolutly, most of the people that are not level 1-20 or 65-80 will probably re roll to experience the 1-20 in Kunark.
    I play a Dirge. Usually always welcome on raids / groups for their utility and they solo quite well in my opinion.
    The two most populated servers are Nagafen (PVP) , and Antonia Bayle (RP). I play on Antonia Bayle and there are a TON of people.

----------------------
    Played (In order of favorite first to least): DAOC, EQ2, EVE, WOW, Vanguard, AC2, City of __, Guild Wars, LOTRO, EQ, Sword of New World, FFXI, Lineage 2, Second Life, DDO, Anarchy Online, RF Online, Archlord, Uru, Ragnarok Online, Shadowbane, Planetside, Auto Assault, Ryzom, Matrix Online, Horizons, Entropia, Sims, Runescape, Lineage 1, AC1, Dungeon Runners

• hutchy2khutchy2k Member Posts: 1

I can only really give you some advice on the Euro servers as I quit EQ2 6 months ago or so (likely to try out Kunark though).

There are two main EU servers- Runnyeye and Splitpaw.  I'd recommend Splitpaw as it was my home :)  It was always quite busy, and unlike the physical server for Runnyeye it is based in EU so you'll get better pings etc. 

Splitpaw has a friendly community too- if you join press 'U' when you get in-game and you get a window with a list of guilds with their playing styles, recruitment statuses etc.  Useful for new players.

I do expect a lot will try Sarnak- a lot tried Fae and Arsai despite them being seriously bad races in my opinion.  Sarnak have the potential to be a little bit more 'cool'.

If you do join Splitpaw my toon name is Trey, I can help you get to grips with the game :)