Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do people think of the AH 1 hour gold delay?

2»

Comments

• SinentSinent Member Posts: 137

well i dont think this has anything to do with gold farmers as much as folks who play the auction house.

think about it you are scaning items and there is the ubersword_01 for 90 gold you go oh man thats awsome ill get it and then you scan a wee bit more but in meantime somone else has bought it and relisted it for 199 gold you go back and dont look and price is changed you buy and are like wtf it was 90 gold a minute ago  well guess what...

by giving it a hour it gets rid of that, as far as gold sellers go hell man all you ever hear is folks griping about how long it takes so idont think this will matter

Some lead and some follow I prefer to stand beside!

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Ultimately its Blizz fault for creating such a money sink in a game. Eg 5000g epic flying mount training, repair cost, talents respec etc...  If prices is not so high in the average errands than the need for more money wouldn't exist, or to the minimum.

RIP Orc Choppa

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007
    Originally posted by Pappy13

Only Blizzard can truly answer that question, I don't know with certainty that one DOES exist, but I'll tell you what I believe.  I believe that Blizzard wouldn't make this change unless THEY believed there was a benefit.  They may be right, they may be wrong, I don't have enough information to make that determination, but Blizzard should at least have enough information to make a determination and they've determined it was in the best interests of "the game" to make this change.  Since it really doesn't affect me in a negative way since I never need gold the instant something sells on the AH to enjoy the game, I'm ok with them making this largely irrelevent change to me.  As I've said before we are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Perhaps Blizz is too.  They have that right.

Now if you're asking me to speculate...here goes.  All MMO's rely on the economy being stable.  Anything that upsets that stability has the potential to ruin the game.  I'd be willing to bet that Blizzard has more than a few people that keep a very close eye on this whole gold selling market for various reasons.  Making sure that the in-game economy doesn't detract from the game probably being their first concern.  And if those people decide that something is detracting from the game, they try to come up with ways to offset the problem.  This was probably one of many different solutions suggested and I'll bet one of the reasons they chose it was because they felt like it didn't impact the average player for the most part.  Oh sure it's gonna ruffle some feathers, but in a week they'll be something else people will be complaining about and they'll forget all about this 1 hour delay in getting their "play" money.  But the benefit is that in the mean time we might just identify a few potential gold sellers and remove them from the game.  And the ones that we don't catch may be persuaded to stay out of the AH which is really bad for the "perceived" economy because these large transactions for silly items are removed.  There are people who keep track of AH prices and these transactions tend to "skew" the big picture so Blizz doesn't like it, they'd rather have you trade things face to face, kinda "under the table" if you will.  They haven't stopped you from doing it, just made it a little less visible.  And if you think Blizz doesn't think about stuff like that, well you just don't have any idea of what big businesses like Blizzard worry about.
    So to make a long story short, you're absolutely right, that the benefits may be tough to see for the individual, but Blizzard fortunately doesn't look at the little picture, they focus on the big picture and trust me, they didn't come to this decision lightly.  They weighed the pros and cons and felt the pros outweighed the cons so they made the change.  I doubt that even if they wanted to explain their reasoning to us they could do so adequately.
    Just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

That's quite a theory you have there.  I have to say, you have more faith in Blizzard than most players do.

• letum6030letum6030 Member Posts: 206

If Blizzard is so apt to get rid of the gold farmers, why are they spamming in the cities day after day?  When I report them, I get an automated response that basically says we'll look into it.  This sounds exactly like what was said to me in L2.  I don't like the change to the AH, but it's not a game breaker for me. 

If Blizzard is so able to watch player transactions, are they not able to watch chats?  Do they not see these farmers yelling that they want to sell gold?   I know for a fact that they can.  I have seen transcripts for a friend of mine going through a divorce.  The transcripts had everything from whispers, to emotes, to IP address for a three month period.  So if they really wanted to get rid of these farmers, at least the ones that are yelling about their company, they would just ban those accounts. 

Gold selling is a huge profit based company.  They rake in oodles of money on an annual basis.  Blizzard is a company that, a lot of people think, is only after making money, not after making their game better.  (I've read arguments about this on SEVERAL occasions).  IF that is the case, couldn't this change be to increase the price on the gold because it will "hinder" the seller.  If you can't beat them, and we all know they're not going away, join them.  If their price goes up by 5% and people are still buying, the sellers make more money.

If they had to hire new people the purchasing of a new account would be a sunk cost, so that isn't relevant in the scheme of things.  It is in effect a start-up fee.  This would not affect a companies profit too much.  All they have to do is amortize it.  The monthly fee for the account would be similar to a phone bill.  The overhead would be affected by the new people needing food.  Electricity would go up a bit, but not too much.  The only other new cost would be, potentially, another computer.  This computer could be amortized as well.  On a month by month basis, it wouldn't affect the company nearly as much as you think.  If revenue goes up by 5% and the expenses go up by any percentage less than 5%, they're actually making more money.  This is assuming that they are running on a fairly decent profit margin.

Blizzard could ask for a small percentage of their revenue.  The seller might lose a bit off of the bottom, but they would have more longevity.  They wouldn't have to worry about their accounts being banned because their partner is the developer of the game.  All Blizzard would have to do is create a sense that they are trying to fix gold selling, i.e. one hour wait on AH gold.  They spin it so that it seems like it will actually slow down the selling and that they are trying as hard as they can to stop the gold sellers.  But in fact, this will just raise the prices, thus raising Blizzard's take on the revenue.  Both parties, the seller and Blizzard, are better off because of this.  The only one that is harmed are those that like to get their money directly from the AH.  And as was pointed out, these type of people are not in the majority.

To summarize:  make a partnership with the sellers so you can get a cut of the revenue, act like you're trying to fix the problem, do something that will force the price of the gold to go up, reap more revenue. 

Note:  I do not condone this kind of action, but I do see it as a viable explanation for the seller problems being so big.  I'm not saying that Blizzard would be, if they in fact do this, the only ones doing this.  I am just using them as an example.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Originally posted by letum6030

If Blizzard is so apt to get rid of the gold farmers, why are they spamming in the cities day after day?  When I report them, I get an automated response that basically says we'll look into it.  This sounds exactly like what was said to me in L2.  I don't like the change to the AH, but it's not a game breaker for me. 
    If Blizzard is so able to watch player transactions, are they not able to watch chats?  Do they not see these farmers yelling that they want to sell gold?   I know for a fact that they can.  I have seen transcripts for a friend of mine going through a divorce.  The transcripts had everything from whispers, to emotes, to IP address for a three month period.  So if they really wanted to get rid of these farmers, at least the ones that are yelling about their company, they would just ban those accounts. 
    Gold selling is a huge profit based company.  They rake in oodles of money on an annual basis.  Blizzard is a company that, a lot of people think, is only after making money, not after making their game better.  (I've read arguments about this on SEVERAL occasions).  IF that is the case, couldn't this change be to increase the price on the gold because it will "hinder" the seller.  If you can't beat them, and we all know they're not going away, join them.  If their price goes up by 5% and people are still buying, the sellers make more money.
    If they had to hire new people the purchasing of a new account would be a sunk cost, so that isn't relevant in the scheme of things.  It is in effect a start-up fee.  This would not affect a companies profit too much.  All they have to do is amortize it.  The monthly fee for the account would be similar to a phone bill.  The overhead would be affected by the new people needing food.  Electricity would go up a bit, but not too much.  The only other new cost would be, potentially, another computer.  This computer could be amortized as well.  On a month by month basis, it wouldn't affect the company nearly as much as you think.  If revenue goes up by 5% and the expenses go up by any percentage less than 5%, they're actually making more money.  This is assuming that they are running on a fairly decent profit margin.
    Blizzard could ask for a small percentage of their revenue.  The seller might lose a bit off of the bottom, but they would have more longevity.  They wouldn't have to worry about their accounts being banned because their partner is the developer of the game.  All Blizzard would have to do is create a sense that they are trying to fix gold selling, i.e. one hour wait on AH gold.  They spin it so that it seems like it will actually slow down the selling and that they are trying as hard as they can to stop the gold sellers.  But in fact, this will just raise the prices, thus raising Blizzard's take on the revenue.  Both parties, the seller and Blizzard, are better off because of this.  The only one that is harmed are those that like to get their money directly from the AH.  And as was pointed out, these type of people are not in the majority.
    To summarize:  make a partnership with the sellers so you can get a cut of the revenue, act like you're trying to fix the problem, do something that will force the price of the gold to go up, reap more revenue. 
    Note:  I do not condone this kind of action, but I do see it as a viable explanation for the seller problems being so big.  I'm not saying that Blizzard would be, if they in fact do this, the only ones doing this.  I am just using them as an example.
    Spamming in cities.. ROFL, have you even played the game recently.. outlands I have yet to see 1... 1 single gold spam, except the odd mail every week or so, the only time I see gold spammers is when I go to IF or SW and then Its a rare sight, but I do as I have always done.. /ignore + /report, the new /report tool will silence a spammer after about 10 reports untill a GM looks into it... use that rather than /poke a GM. I'd rather a GM help players than spend their time with gold sellers.

As to hiring people to sit on all 400+ western servers to see chat to see if gold selling is going on, they would need about 10 people per server at peek times.. thats over kill.

But making gold selling a part of the game.. no thankyou.. go play a F2P asian grinder if you want that.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by bonobotheory

Only Blizzard can truly answer that question, I don't know with certainty that one DOES exist, but I'll tell you what I believe.  I believe that Blizzard wouldn't make this change unless THEY believed there was a benefit.  They may be right, they may be wrong, I don't have enough information to make that determination, but Blizzard should at least have enough information to make a determination and they've determined it was in the best interests of "the game" to make this change.  Since it really doesn't affect me in a negative way since I never need gold the instant something sells on the AH to enjoy the game, I'm ok with them making this largely irrelevent change to me.  As I've said before we are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Perhaps Blizz is too.  They have that right.

Now if you're asking me to speculate...here goes.  All MMO's rely on the economy being stable.  Anything that upsets that stability has the potential to ruin the game.  I'd be willing to bet that Blizzard has more than a few people that keep a very close eye on this whole gold selling market for various reasons.  Making sure that the in-game economy doesn't detract from the game probably being their first concern.  And if those people decide that something is detracting from the game, they try to come up with ways to offset the problem.  This was probably one of many different solutions suggested and I'll bet one of the reasons they chose it was because they felt like it didn't impact the average player for the most part.  Oh sure it's gonna ruffle some feathers, but in a week they'll be something else people will be complaining about and they'll forget all about this 1 hour delay in getting their "play" money.  But the benefit is that in the mean time we might just identify a few potential gold sellers and remove them from the game.  And the ones that we don't catch may be persuaded to stay out of the AH which is really bad for the "perceived" economy because these large transactions for silly items are removed.  There are people who keep track of AH prices and these transactions tend to "skew" the big picture so Blizz doesn't like it, they'd rather have you trade things face to face, kinda "under the table" if you will.  They haven't stopped you from doing it, just made it a little less visible.  And if you think Blizz doesn't think about stuff like that, well you just don't have any idea of what big businesses like Blizzard worry about.
    So to make a long story short, you're absolutely right, that the benefits may be tough to see for the individual, but Blizzard fortunately doesn't look at the little picture, they focus on the big picture and trust me, they didn't come to this decision lightly.  They weighed the pros and cons and felt the pros outweighed the cons so they made the change.  I doubt that even if they wanted to explain their reasoning to us they could do so adequately.
    Just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

That's quite a theory you have there.  I have to say, you have more faith in Blizzard than most players do.

Maybe so, but then no one has had the success that Blizzard has had in the PC gaming world, so it's not totally unfounded.

• letum6030letum6030 Member Posts: 206
    Originally posted by cupertino

Spamming in cities.. ROFL, have you even played the game recently.. outlands I have yet to see 1... 1 single gold spam, except the odd mail every week or so, the only time I see gold spammers is when I go to IF or SW and then Its a rare sight, but I do as I have always done.. /ignore + /report, the new /report tool will silence a spammer after about 10 reports untill a GM looks into it... use that rather than /poke a GM. I'd rather a GM help players than spend their time with gold sellers.

As to hiring people to sit on all 400+ western servers to see chat to see if gold selling is going on, they would need about 10 people per server at peek times.. thats over kill.

But making gold selling a part of the game.. no thankyou.. go play a F2P asian grinder if you want that.

Just wondering if you even read my post.  You find some way to bash anyone that says anything contrary to your belifs when it comes to WoW.  You are a zealot plain and simple.  The only thing you got out of my post was spamming.  As to the hiring of extra people, it wouldn't be necessary.  They don't have to act right then and there since they can pull up transcripts.  It would be much more efficient to pull transcripts and systematically ban for past events. 

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Originally posted by cupertino

Just wondering if you even read my post.  You find some way to bash anyone that says anything contrary to your belifs when it comes to WoW.  You are a zealot plain and simple.  The only thing you got out of my post was spamming.  As to the hiring of extra people, it wouldn't be necessary.  They don't have to act right then and there since they can pull up transcripts.  It would be much more efficient to pull transcripts and systematically ban for past events. 

You find some way to bash anyone that says anything contrary to your belifs when it comes to WoW. I dont see this mass gold spamming you do. As to pulling up transcripts how do you think blizzard ban sellers now?.. duh! they pull up transcripts after the system flags an account based on what they say in chat.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

There are some logical points made here.  One of the more creative suggestions on this particular thread is here as well.  Yes, one of the better ways to make gold farming operations take notice would be to take a monthly cut out of their revenue.  Hey, folks, one of the best analogies for this is the "War on Drugs".  This war which was begun under the Johnson admistration in 1967 , has yet to make a dent on that problem.  Blizzard's AH money hold-up is basically the same thing.  Blizz may as well make some money off these foreign operations and stop interfering with the flow and ebb of the game.

Basically, many of the writers in this forum take the "populist" viewpoint that Blizzard has found a small solution for slowing down the gold trade.  I take another viewpoint based on my observations as well as experiences.  The gold traders will continue, no matter what Blizzard comes up with short of watching transactions made from each player on every server.  Hmmmm, not very "doable" is it?  At any rate, it is beginning to get very near to interfering with our privacy.  Not a good thing at all, is it?

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

Once again comes to show you that the people who BUY the gold are worse than the gold farmers. You can't blame your drug addiction (if you have one or lets assume you do) to the drug dealer, the only person that gets blamed when caught doing it is you, not the dealer. Same idea applies here, there are gold sellers because people buy gold, because they want to cheat others.

1 hour delay to mail is really nothing, I could care less, I have enough gold on my character to buy what I need, I don't usually go out of my way to check the mail when i get it anyway, I just wait until I am at a place with a mail box, to me it is worth it. People who buy gold should get banned along with the gold farmers, because even though it may not seem like it because they pay real money for the gold, it is cheating in every aspect.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by alyndale

There are some logical points made here.  One of the more creative suggestions on this particular thread is here as well.  Yes, one of the better ways to make gold farming operations take notice would be to take a monthly cut out of their revenue. 

Basically, many of the writers in this forum take the "populist" viewpoint that Blizzard has found a small solution for slowing down the gold trade.  I take another viewpoint based on my observations as well as experiences.  The gold traders will continue, no matter what Blizzard comes up with short of watching transactions made from each player on every server.  Hmmmm, not very "doable" is it?  At any rate, it is beginning to get very near to interfering with our privacy.  Not a good thing at all, is it?

Well lets not forget that this is not the only solution that Blizzard has come up with, in fact I think their main focus has been to make sure that there are enough ways in the game to make the needed gold for a healthy economy so as to not have to resort to gold sellers.  Basically the whole idea of daily quests was for players to have a quick way to make some gold.  And BC itself went a long way towards getting rid of gold farmers.  Anyone who has a hard time making gold in WoW now, has not been to Outland recently.  The gold flows freely there and just about anyone with a little perserverence can come up with enough gold that they don't have to resort to gold sellers.  Gold sellers are just the "easy" way out now. 

No one here is suggesting that this small change is going to put the gold sellers out of business.  Most would agree the chances these changes even slow them down much are small.  On the other hand, this change means absolutely nothing to the average player.  A 1 hour delay to something that normally does not get immediate attention in the first place is no big deal, so those claiming this has "hurt" the average player are making more to that side of it as well.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Originally posted by alyndale

There are some logical points made here.  One of the more creative suggestions on this particular thread is here as well.  Yes, one of the better ways to make gold farming operations take notice would be to take a monthly cut out of their revenue. 

Well lets not forget that this is not the only solution that Blizzard has come up with, in fact I think their main focus has been to make sure that there are enough ways in the game to make the needed gold for a healthy economy so as to not have to resort to gold sellers.  Basically the whole idea of daily quests was for players to have a quick way to make some gold.  And BC itself went a long way towards getting rid of gold farmers.  Anyone who has a hard time making gold in WoW now, has not been to Outland recently.  The gold flows freely there and just about anyone with a little perserverence can come up with enough gold that they don't have to resort to gold sellers.  Gold sellers are just the "easy" way out now. 

No one here is suggesting that this small change is going to put the gold sellers out of business.  Most would agree the chances these changes even slow them down much are small.  On the other hand, this change means absolutely nothing to the average player.  A 1 hour delay to something that normally does not get immediate attention in the first place is no big deal, so those claiming this has "hurt" the average player are making more to that side of it as well.

Well good morning my dear friend Pappy!

Well, actually not to much disagreement.  BC has  done very well here.  I would have to add though as it helps those of us legitimate players, it also gives more gold to farmers.  Generally, I would end my portion of this debate to say, all in all there are fewer successful gold merchants out mainly due to vigilence and many forum readers out there keeping a weather eye out for new bots/farmers out there.  I do want to express that I hope that there are fewer folks out there that are using these gold operations.

I should warn anyone that are thinking of trying this. You leave the door open for these Asian to gain access to your account.  Lineage 2 for a long time had such a great problem with people having their accounts hacked and losing their entire stock of items.  These smaller operations are usually the culprits as they are in a compettiton for survival with the larger companies like IGE, for instance.  Basically they will try ever exploit or hack they know to gain more in-game gold for sale.  Just be careful.  Better to enjoy the game like the rest of us.  Get in a strong guild, they'll be ore than happy to help you from time to time.  Stay away from these gold farmers...truely BAD MOJO!

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon