Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character Customization?

brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

How can you customize your character as you progress?

EQ has AAs, EQ2 has AAs, WoW has talents, AC lets you distribute points into skills/stats, DAoC lets you distribute points.

Anything like that, or is every Champion the same?

Comments

• doromurdoromur Member Posts: 152

You answered your own question.

Equipment makes all the difference...

Currently Playing Nothing...

• DevelopmentDevelopment Member Posts: 52

Didnt see him mention equipment in his post tbh 

And for armour i felt most looks very similar so not really a way to be unique in that matter.

Edit: if you ment stat-wise, just 'meh' ow and for Traits (if my memory is correct) that might be a way of making you somewhat different, yet most classes tend to go for the same set off traits lol

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Equipment doesn't make a diffrence. Most characters of similar level and class type have equipment that look much alike and have bonuses that are much alike.

The diffrence is in the trait system. Those are abilitiest you can build, pick and choose to suit your play style. You get them by grinding mobs and exploration. Every zone has a set of traits to earn, so do each race, but you aren't forced in to building them. Many level 50 players blew through the game so fast that they have very few traits. Then they go back and work on them.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Keogh

Equipment doesn't make a diffrence. Most characters of similar level and class type have equipment that look much alike and have bonuses that are much alike.
    The diffrence is in the trait system. Those are abilitiest you can build, pick and choose to suit your play style. You get them by grinding mobs and exploration. Every zone has a set of traits to earn, so do each race, but you aren't forced in to building them. Many level 50 players blew through the game so fast that they have very few traits. Then they go back and work on them.

Yeah, it is especially easier with traits where you need to kill X number of mobs...

But there are traits that are horrible to do regardless of you level (like pie-collecting and postman quests in the shire... they take literally hours to do :(

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by doromur

No it doesn’t, other than looks. Equipment is really small form of "Customization" in this game...

You are incorrectly informed.

There are deeds, traits, equip, class, race, consumeables ETC..

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

No it doesn’t, other than looks. Equipment is really small form of "Customization" in this game...

LOL I'm not incorrectly informed, I've played it to death.

Equipment is a big part, as a Champion I essentially didn't bother with AC but concentrated on Might items, even if they were 10 levels below me, so that I could max out Might. As a consequence my DPS was HUGE, but the side effect was obviously that I needed to be grouped with a healer. I always outdamaged everyone I ever grouped with, so equipment DOES make a difference.

Traits are much of a muchness, there are some you HAVE to have equipped, and therefore everyone else does - so you are essentially the same.

I'm sorry, but consumables = customisations, lmao that's stretching it a bit.

class/race - lol

It would help if you had actually played it to endgame before flaming me - because I have.

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

LOL I'm not incorrectly informed, I've played it to death.

Equipment is a big part, as a Champion I essentially didn't bother with AC but concentrated on Might items, even if they were 10 levels below me, so that I could max out Might. As a consequence my DPS was HUGE, but the side effect was obviously that I needed to be grouped with a healer. I always outdamaged everyone I ever grouped with, so equipment DOES make a difference.

Traits are much of a muchness, there are some you HAVE to have equipped, and therefore everyone else does - so you are essentially the same.

I'm sorry, but consumables = customisations, lmao that's stretching it a bit.

class/race - lol

It would help if you had actually played it to endgame before flaming me - because I have.

I’m not flaming anyone, your just simply wrong. You suffer form a "Keeping up with the joneses" complex. Equipment does make small difference, but it isn’t the core of the games progression, or customization. 

You don’t HAVE to do anything with traits.. you can spec out for what ever you want that fits your playstyle.

Sorry, but you played this game one way, and it was the way that was more fun for you, cool, but its not the only way, or only set up you can have in the game ..That’s where you went wrong.

Equipment goes up in "Power" in such small increments in this game, its matters little, except for its contribution to the final total. This isn’t a game where one piece of equipment is the end all be all huge jump in "Power".

Loot is a small forum of customization in this game in regards to power.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

You are incorrect to say that I am wrong, it is an opinion, just as yours is.

"keeping up with the joneses", wtf are you talking about - I specifically tailored my character to what I wanted to get out of it, using my kit. If I was wanting to keep up with the joneses, I would have equipped mirrored armour, mirrored weapons - just as practically everybody else does at 47+ (who can afford it).

I wasn't saying that mine was the only way to play it - but to MAKE yourself stand out and be different, Traits, Food (lol) will not make that much of a difference, because to play your class effectively (with others) at high levels you NEED to have the standard template for traits, etc.

As for 'where I went wrong', lol KMA.

You are incorrect to say that I am wrong, it is an opinion, just as yours is.
    "keeping up with the joneses", wtf are you talking about - I specifically tailored my character to what I wanted to get out of it, using my kit. If I was wanting to keep up with the joneses, I would have equipped mirrored armour, mirrored weapons - just as practically everybody else does at 47+ (who can afford it).
    I wasn't saying that mine was the only way to play it - but to MAKE yourself stand out and be different, Traits, Food (lol) will not make that much of a difference, because to play your class effectively (with others) at high levels you NEED to have the standard template for traits, etc.
    As for 'where I went wrong', lol KMA.

Your right, it is an opinion. Your welcome to it. As far as the rest of your post...again. You wanted to be X, so you made your self X because you had seen others doing X, and then you complain about only being able to be X. And that’s wrong.

There are lots of customization options, and im sure it will only increase with more updates, something they seem very committed to doing.

The small increments in power gain in gear is a good example of how far they can go, its more to scale of DnD, than say, Final fantasy or WoW.

Gear is not the end all be all as it is in others games, this is somthing i welcome.

IE: +1 Not +200.

----------

How are you?" -Me

I've just re-read my posts and I don't actually see me complaining about anything - so other than trying to bait me further I don't see what the heck you are on about.

Very happy with how I played it thank-you-very-much.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I've just re-read my posts and I don't actually see me complaining about anything - so other than trying to bait me further I don't see what the heck you are on about.

Naaah, I didn't really see any complaints either.   It seems like you both enjoy the game. 

I believe that you guys are are arguing about whether stats on equipment or traits are more important in character customization, and also (secondarily)  about whether multiple trait load outs are viable for any given class or whether all classes are railroaded into slotting the same traits to be effective. 

Please continue.  /em Grabs popcorn.

Just kidding

I personally would say that at low levels neither makes much difference (with the sole qualifier that stacking a lot of Vit/ Will early on will give you a nice boost), at mid levels traits make the most difference, and at the very end they are both about equally important.  I would also say that both traits and equipment in  LoTRO are odd in that their cumalitive effects are as much or more important than their individual effects, and I think it may explain why you guys are butting heads.  It's because your both basically correct.  For example:

As Mr. Bloodworth points out, no individual piece of equipment is going to make a huge difference (maybe apart from a weapon). This is indeed a welcome change from games (that will remain nameless) where equipment seems to trump everything else.   However as you point out, if you go nuts on a particular stat and stack enough gear to cap it, it will make a big difference in how you perform.  The Str/ Vitality (offense/ defense) trade-off you mention is a really good example of this.

Also, as you point out, the effects of most tarits are pretty subtle on their own.  Also, on paper a lot of traits look like real turds, so at first it may not seem like you have much choice.  But I've found that as I've played around with my characters, my traits have synergistic effects (i.e., the sum is greater than the parts) I didn't expect.  For example, I hang out a lot with a hunter around my level.  We only have one class trait slotted in common between us, and I honestly thought he was nuts at first.  However, as we've hung out I've seen that i have better burst damage than he does, and he has better power regen than I do (so he's better in a long tough fight).  None of my trait say "Yo mad burst damage!" and none of his say "Effeciency ftw!" but the way that they interact with eachother does lead to that effect.

My other classes have similar trade-offs inherent in their trait loadouts.  For example my Loremaster is focused on pets, but he could focus more on being a backup healer or more on his DPS from spells, or be "pretty good" at all three.  

One thing I will add though, is that my Champion is only level 16, and so I don't know a lot about their traits.  In my experience, the players or ex players that seemed to complain most violently that there was "no customization through traits" either were 1. too low level to see what traits can really do (9 times out of 10) or 2. players that got to 50 with Champions.  This leads me to suspect that there may be a real problem with Champion traits. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• GlimmermanGlimmerman Member Posts: 6

This link explains - using Burglar class as example - throughtoutly different builds for different tastes/play style for PvE, PvP and raids:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=64429 (class traits, legendary traits, virtues)

Playing: LoTRO (50 Burglar, 40 Guardian)

Sorry, maybe complain was the wrong choice of words. But, you cant say your first comment in this thread doesn’t come off as an attempt say its a flaw of the game. If that wasn’t what you meant, then I’m sorry, but that’s the way it read when you look at it as an answer to the OP questions. You implied that equipment was it.

I was civil in this thread, you started the flaming. I blame lack of reading comprehension.

You got upset when i said you were You are incorrectly informed, as it somehow brused your "MMO-Knowledge-ego".

When it dosnt mean anything of the like, it just means you are incorrectly informed. Even i can be incorrectly informed.

There are an ass-ton of traits, some direct, some not (Such as valor etc..) and each deed completed gives you yet another option, or increases on you are already using. (valor +1).

Rushing to 50, you would have missed that. (Don't take that "You" as "You" just to be clear).

And this : " because to play your class effectively (with others) at high levels you NEED to have the standard template for traits, etc."

Is nothing more than: "Keeping up with the Joneses". Because its simply not true, maybe you NEED to use that template, because that’s what YOU wanted to do. but its not required. Its just one option.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

The poor charactor customization, or rather lack of unique charactor building in LOTRO is one of the major reasons I left the game. Mostly the awful skills "selection" you get when you ding. You go to the trainer and he basically says "you have unlocked X and Y skills, they cost this much." There is no choice, no decision to be made, no speciallizing in one area but taking a loss in another. The devs have laid out exactly what you get to buy at each level up, there are no trees, no taking one route but closing off another.

The trait system is a joke. Oh boy, I grinded 300 more bloody boars to get a 1% increase in a skill cooldown. Yay. Everyone is the same except what stats you want to concentrate your gear on. The game is on a hard and unvarying set of rails from start onward. The devs (game) dictate which zone you will be in at what lvl, what skills you get upon levelling.

No distinction, no varience, no RPG at all charactor build-wise.

But yes, the graphics are nice, the only difference I see between LOTRO and any number of "me-too" games that have been schlepped out from developers for years now, its real purty.

If you are happy with the genre in its current, stagnant, boring and oh-so-familiar uninspired gameplay, this one has good graphics. Try the trial.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Die_Scream

The poor charactor customization, or rather lack of unique charactor building in LOTRO is one of the major reasons I left the game. Mostly the awful skills "selection" you get when you ding. You go to the trainer and he basically says "you have unlocked X and Y skills, they cost this much." There is no choice, no decision to be made, no speciallizing in one area but taking a loss in another. The devs have laid out exactly what you get to buy at each level up, there are no trees, no taking one route but closing off another.
    The trait system is a joke. Oh boy, I grinded 300 more bloody boars to get a 1% increase in a skill cooldown. Yay. Everyone is the same except what stats you want to concentrate your gear on. The game is on a hard and unvarying set of rails from start onward. The devs (game) dictate which zone you will be in at what lvl, what skills you get upon levelling.
    But yes, the graphics are nice, the only difference I see between LOTRO and any number of "me-too" games that have been schlepped out from developers for years now, its real purty.
    If you are happy with the genre in its current, stagnant, boring and oh-so-familiar uninspired gameplay, this one has good graphics. Try the trial.

So your basic complaint is that LoTRO is a mainstream game with relatively linear progression (ala EQ II, WoW, or the abomination that is revamped SWG) rather than a more open ended game design such as EVE or UO?

I can see your point.  However, i think it's more of an apples or oranges kind of thing.  I don't like the apple style MMOs  out right now personally.  It's not that I'm opposeed to open ended gameplay, far from it.  It's just that for some reason no MMO developer has ever managed to pull off an open ended game that still has directed gameplay (i.e., content) available if you want it.  They tend to spend all their time building a big sandbox, and then just drop us in and expect us to make our own fun.  I like to be able to make my own fun, sure.  But I don't want that to be all there is to do.  I want a balance of fleshed out content and flexible systems.

Offline game developers have really nailed this balance, and seem to do it easilly.  For example the Fallout games are like what..ten years old now?  And they nail the balance between "open ended" and "fleshed out content" better than any any online game that I've played.  The GTA series also does a good job with this balance.  Morrowind was another good example.  You could play the game any way you wanted too, but there was a also a long series of quests and a deep plot available if you wanted to do that. 

Unfortunately in modern MMOs, for some insane reason you have to pick.  You can have a polished user freindly MMO with engaging story lines and quest chains to follow.  Or you can have an open ended game that gives you a lot of freedom to play how you want to. Never both.  Why does this trade-off exist?  I have no idea.  But for my personal tastes a quest based MMO like EQ II, WoW, or LoTRO is a lot better than the current open ended MMOs that just drop you in a world and say "here's some systems, have fun" such as EVE or UO.

For me LoTRO is currently the closest thing to that balance (though it's definitly a lot more linear than I would like in a perfect world).  The quests are well presented, and often tell interesting stories as you play through them.  While what you are generally doing for the quests in EQ II and WoW is generally pretty similar, I never cared that much about the stories attached to them.  They just didn't seem as well written (in geneneral, some quest in both game are excellent, and some in LoTRO are certainly "meh"). 

I also like the side activites.   The crafting system is fairly deep and useful, without being a huge timesink to advance in like EQ II's (although, to be fair, EQ II is the only game I've ever played where I enjoyed playing characters that did nothing but craft).  The oddball side activites such as chicken play, tag, and hanging around town opening new emotes also make it feel like the game is a little more open ended (or at least there's more to fool around with) than say, WoW.  I also like the PvMP system a lot.  It combines a lot of the elements I liked from DAoC RvR  with the ability to jump straight in with a character that only doe PvP (ala GW).   So while far from perfect, LoTRO is the game taking up most of my time right now.  For me it hit's the most important notes (even if not all of the notes I'd like).

I think we agree at least in that I'd drop everything I'm playing now to play Morrowind online.  Unfortunately, I don't really see anything like that on the horizon.  And main stream consumers in NA don't seem to care much about open ended gameplay, at least based on the observation that WoW, EQ II, and LoTRO (likely in that order) are the most popular MMOs in North America (and yes, I just pulled that out of my butt, but is my honest best guess).

How's that for a tangent . . . .

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Yeebo

So your basic complaint is that LoTRO is a mainstream game with relatively linear progression (ala EQ II, WoW, or the abomination that is revamped SWG) rather than a more open ended game design such as EVE or UO?

I can see your point.  However, i think it's more of an apples or oranges kind of thing.  I don't like the apple style MMOs  out right now personally.  It's not that I'm opposeed to open ended gameplay, far from it.  It's just that for some reason no MMO developer has ever managed to pull off an open ended game that still has directed gameplay (i.e., content) available if you want it.  They tend to spend all their time building a big sandbox, and then just drop us in and expect us to make our own fun.  I like to be able to make my own fun, sure.  But I don't want that to be all there is to do.  I want a balance of fleshed out content and flexible systems.

Offline game developers have really nailed this balance, and seem to do it easilly.  For example the Fallout games are like what..ten years old now?  And they nail the balance between "open ended" and "fleshed out content" better than any any online game that I've played.  The GTA series also does a good job with this balance.  Morrowind was another good example.  You could play the game any way you wanted too, but there was a also a long series of quests and a deep plot available if you wanted to do that. 

Unfortunately in modern MMOs, for some insane reason you have to pick.  You can have a polished user freindly MMO with engaging story lines and quest chains to follow.  Or you can have an open ended game that gives you a lot of freedom to play how you want to. Never both.  Why does this trade-off exist?  I have no idea.  But for my personal tastes a quest based MMO like EQ II, WoW, or LoTRO is a lot better than the current open ended MMOs that just drop you in a world and say "here's some systems, have fun" such as EVE or UO.

For me LoTRO is currently the closest thing to that balance (though it's definitly a lot more linear than I would like in a perfect world).  The quests are well presented, and often tell interesting stories as you play through them.  While what you are generally doing for the quests in EQ II and WoW is generally pretty similar, I never cared that much about the stories attached to them.  They just didn't seem as well written (in geneneral, some quest in both game are excellent, and some in LoTRO are certainly "meh"). 

I also like the side activites.   The crafting system is fairly deep and useful, without being a huge timesink to advance in like EQ II's (although, to be fair, EQ II is the only game I've ever played where I enjoyed playing characters that did nothing but craft).  The oddball side activites such as chicken play, tag, and hanging around town opening new emotes also make it feel like the game is a little more open ended (or at least there's more to fool around with) than say, WoW.  I also like the PvMP system a lot.  It combines a lot of the elements I liked from DAoC RvR  with the ability to jump straight in with a character that only doe PvP (ala GW).   So while far from perfect, LoTRO is the game taking up most of my time right now.  For me it hit's the most important notes (even if not all of the notes I'd like).

I think we agree at least in that I'd drop everything I'm playing now to play Morrowind online.  Unfortunately, I don't really see anything like that on the horizon.  And main stream consumers in NA don't seem to care much about open ended gameplay, at least based on the observation that WoW, EQ II, and LoTRO (likely in that order) are the most popular MMOs in North America (and yes, I just pulled that out of my butt, but is my honest best guess).

While I agree with you 100% on the current MMO's personally I think AC (Aherons call) hit the mix perfectly. The game is verry rich in lore. Its quests generally follow lore and expand on the story without any major rewards at the end. Sure a few quests are almost a must do for the rewards but 99% of them are not. I WOULD NOT reccomend this game for someone who hasnt played it though. Its been out far to long.

Back on topic now. LOTRO's customization is verry minor atm. Book 12 (free update) is suposed to be a customization update so well see how that goes. As far as gear/traits goes its all up in the air. You can focus your gear on specific stats but you dont really have to. The looks are the same for the most part for the armor trype (light, medium, heavy). Traits for the most part you will pick and choose exactly what you want to work on but there is a general idea on what to use for what playstyle. The game has ALOT of room to grow. The question is will it....

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Hmmm...what is interesting is that several members from the Morrowind team broke off to form a MMO company...now would that not be grand...a true sandbox title...open ended questing, excellent crafting, great graphics, a true ambiance...

Be whatever class, with a multitude of unique races...

Yea..I would so play a Morrowind MMO...

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by openedge1

Hmmm...what is interesting is that several members from the Morrowind team broke off to form a MMO company...now would that not be grand...a true sandbox title...open ended questing, excellent crafting, great graphics, a true ambiance...

Be whatever class, with a multitude of unique races...

Yea..I would so play a Morrowind MMO...

Absolutely agree. I have played Morrowind to DEATH (couple hundreds of hours). The gaming experience even today beats many MMO's in its vastness and openness. The character development is also excellent. The only problem it had was the fighting system - they improved a lot in Oblivion (which I still think is a much poorer game than Morrowind in many many ways :( ), but otherwise - yes, Morrowind would make a lovely MMOG.

Only problem is - it would yet another fantasy based game... the genre is almost as overused as the 2nd world war theme :(

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I also think a MMO which was similar to GTA or the Morrowind games would be very satisfying. It seems nowadays, all MMOs are the same. Start in a tutorial instance, move to the first area, look for dots on your map to indicate quest givers, run around collecting all the quests you see, then open the quest log and pound them off one by one till you ding a few times and are ushered to the next zone to repeat.

I'd love the idea of a sandbox game that works well and maybe is skill-based. I want to have a player driven economy, and world events altered by the playerbase. There are a couple games around like this, but EVE for example is not to my liking.

Anyway, LOTRO isn't a bad game, its just sooo familiar and hackneyed now from every other major game out before it, that its hard not to feel your just re-rolling a toon on a different game. Same classes, same quests, limited charactor variance..I dunno, maybe the genre's glory days are long past.

When did MMO's jump the shark anyway? With WoW?