Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Helm Graphics..

Are they in yet?

Comments

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

No.

I have to agree that this is merely a pebble considering the hill SOE must climb to garner any player base at all. However, it is something that you would think is so simple they could jusy throw a bone to appease the few players who find this important. Perhaps they'll run it on test for a few weeks and see what gets borked in the process.

• TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

It's not SUPER important, but you'd think by now it would be in the game. Even if there were only 4 or 5 different Helm graphics, something is better than nothing.

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

I remember a dev post a while ago (sorry dont have the link), which explained that the lack of helm graphics was due to the variety of shapes and sizes of player heads in VG. The post said that there was plenty of art finished for the helms, but the problem was that it was not a simple process of scaling the art to the head size, as various features would protrude through the helm (goblins ears, gnomes beards, high elves chins and so on). Im not sure whether that is a reasonable excuse or not but thats basically what they said.

There is of course a finite amount of resources that can be allocated to the improvement of VG, and i guess helm graphics are a 'small bang for lots of buck' situation. I think Helms are cool, but i would prefer the coding team to spend 9 days on performance/ctd improvements than making helms fit properly.

• SilverPhenixSilverPhenix Member Posts: 96

Work on helms is part of Milestone 3, as is stated in the related thread on the official VG forums. It has a low priority when compared to the raiding dungeon and such, but it's in there.

Note that work on helms is in, which doesn't necessarily mean completion of helms 

On a personal note, I hope Vanguard will try to compete with Age of Conan in that female characters will lose their shirts when AoC is released. Orc boobs yay! 

Now playing: City of Heroes/Villains, Age of Conan

Played: Eve, Hg:L, Vanguard, WoW, FFXI, Planetside, Neocron, Battlezone, EQII, AO, CoX, AA, DDO

I win at Vanguard.

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by TedDanson

Are they in yet?
    no

I remember wiating a long time for a helm for my Barbarian Warrior in EQ1. Once they finally got them in the game I had nightmares for years about Texas Longhorn cattle for some reason. 

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

Even if there were helm graphics in game, I wouldn't use this option, cas' my wood elf is tyring to make a fashion statement with his long, silver hair....lol

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Helms and Tails are not super important but then again top notch graphics might not be super important to me.  I think helms and tails are super important cause they add to the quality of the game world. 

I want freeking Helms and Tails and until they are in the game is unfinished. 

End of Story!!

---
    Ethion

• GreybonesGreybones Member Posts: 31

Well they just announced recently that the art department is working on helms.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

from dev chat last week.

as part of the graphical asset changes in GU3 this is going to allow the easier addition of new armour types weapons etc including helmets.

It might eventually mean i can use a longbow instead of having to use a short nothing worse than a bow popping through the head of your halfling ranger

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306
    Originally posted by thamighty213

from dev chat last week.

as part of the graphical asset changes in GU3 this is going to allow the easier addition of new armour types weapons etc including helmets.

It might eventually mean i can use a longbow instead of having to use a short nothing worse than a bow popping through the head of your halfling ranger

Except maybe your legs disappearing into your mount.

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

Although Helmet graphics are a big deal to some people they just need to continue working on performance issues, CTDs and more content/depth.

I Beta tested VG and played it for the first couple of months before taking an 'extended break' from it to continue on with another MMO that didn't require a supercomputer. I updated my patches last week and played around for quite awhile and had a great time, the server merges were an excellent decision and had no trouble at all finding a group. And the full group I was in was very forgiving in the fact that I had not tanking in well over 8months in VG lol.

Performance has improved 200% atleast, I had 1 CTD in 2 days playtime and 'chunking' was allot less painful. The most enjoyable part of it is that VG isn't like the other 'big games' out there right now as far as playstyle etc.(and never was). The EE nerf was disappointing, nothing like logging in after many months and not being able to use half your armor(that I crafted) for another 3 levels.

But all in all SOE has done a good job picking up the game and making it playable.