Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll for WoW-subscribers

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by Thillian

The one that is considered as first 2nd generation MMORPG is not listed under history of MMORPG on wikipedia but under describtion of that particular game. I don't want to spoil it. It's the one also mentioned as first 2nd gen mmorpg on ign.com and gamespot.com

Please stop reading other peoples opinions and form some of your own and then i may be interested!

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it and I always thought there's something missing in my brain, now I know it was lacking my own opinions. Anyway this post is about what reviewers consider 2nd generation MMORPG. If I will want to state my opinion about what I think is 2nd gen MMORPG it will be called differently.

REALITY CHECK

• rishakirishaki Member Posts: 181

The one that is considered as first 2nd generation MMORPG is not listed under history of MMORPG on wikipedia but under describtion of that particular game. I don't want to spoil it. It's the one also mentioned as first 2nd gen mmorpg on ign.com and gamespot.com

So you are not interested in peoples opinion of what they consider to be the first, first and second generation MMO's are, you are just advertising what IGN and Gamespot consider them to be and presenting that as the right answer as far as you are concerned???

Please stop reading other peoples opinions and form some of your own and then i may be interested!

In my own personal opinion (<<<<see what i did there), we are well into the 4th generation of MMO's in terms of technical advancement, but maybe only 2nd generation in terms of originality as you can take most of the 'new generation' MMO's right back to the roots of the first when you break them down to their basics.

I, of course stand to be corrected in this matter, but then again that is what opinions are about!

I disagree, this has been discussed befor and there is no end to it for obvius reasons. 

• QuinguQuingu Member Posts: 400

i consider first generations mmo's,

UO

EQ

AC

AO

DAOC

the FIRST second generation MMO was Acherons call 2

And all games released after AC2 are second generation MMO'S, and there is no third generation MMO'S yet maybe AOC will be the first third generation mmo. anyway  discussing this with 90% of the wow players is losing time, because most of them thinks WOW  was the first mmo.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

So far only 1 correct answer. The majority didnt pick 1st nor 2nd correctly.

Well personally I'd say so far there is 0 correct answers.

NWN on AOL... You could toss out M59.. (since you're trying to be clever)

But the first was on the service... that became AOL...

I mean to be technical... An island.. Virtual Avatar respresenting the player... tens of thousands of people interacting and there was even housing. (oh and I was a beta tester for it .. is the only reason *I* know).

Oh and before AOL was AOL... it was Quantum Link.. they even carried over the same customer service number for a long time.

So when you can name the game... You'll have a correct answer for the 1st generation.

*note*

This post isn't exactly meant to be serious.. take it more as off handed sarcasm.. but yes this game existed and yes QLink was turned into AOL.. it was part of why they had the naming restrctions on accounts.. ancient history but.. its more to be provacative and somewhat funny than anything (this post).

*edited to add*

I guess it also has to do with point of view from someone that was "online" back in 1985/1986 -> current times.  Back when "the net" didn't really exist and everyone dialed up (in the usa anyway) through GTE Telenet...  I forget the company that covered Canada.  Back when it was $9.95 a month to use QLink and you get a free hour of "premium services" and were charged $0.06 (6 cents) a minute for premium areas after your free hour.  When services were only open from 7pm to 7am local time.. because of the cost difference the phone companies charged for "prime" hours.. etc etc etc

You know when going from 300 baud to 1200 baud.. was like omg.

So that's the point of view I posted this from.. and yes I'd consider this little game QLink had just as much an MMO as NWN or M59.. but the first "real" MMO I played (imho) was UO.

I don't care what wiki..or ign call it... wiki and ign didn't even exist then.  Plus.. I kinda lived through this...  /shrugs

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it and I always thought there's something missing in my brain, now I know it was lacking my own opinions. Anyway this post is about what reviewers consider 2nd generation MMORPG. If I will want to state my opinion about what I think is 2nd gen MMORPG it will be called differently.

So why not just post "i would like for everyone to go over to IGN and Gamespot, then read what they consider to be the first graphical MMO and the first 2nd generation MMO then come back to the post and tell me"

What is the point??????

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• ratariarataria Member Posts: 93

'Second Generation' MMO's

Ever since Asheron's Call 2 began rolling out the hype machine in 2002 game developers have been proclaiming their product as being a 'next generation' MMO yet there is hardly any difference at all between games being released now and MMO's released nearly 10 years ago. Although games may look much better they still follow the same tired formula laid out by Ultima Online and Everquest.

mmoplayer.wikidot.com/gen2-part1

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

So why not just post "i would like for everyone to go over to IGN and Gamespot, then read what they consider to be the first graphical MMO and the first 2nd generation MMO then come back to the post and tell me"

What is the point??????

"What is the point??????"

The shortest arguement would be that in the end this entire post doesn't matter.  It won't change anything.. and Blizzard is still making more money than every previous MMO combined.

What does bother me.. and where I'd say "there is no point".  Is basing information off of sites or sources.. that didn't exist.. when this "first graphical MMO" came out.  In fact... there is a high probability that no one at any of these sites.. even has first hand knowledge aka life experience with these products.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Hey slick, you left off Merdian 59, which was before EQ and UO. GG nooblet. You just proved you yourself don't even know the first one.

Originally posted by brostyn

Hey slick, you left off Merdian 59, which was before EQ and UO. GG nooblet. You just proved you yourself don't even know the first one.

I guess you meant Meridian 59>? That was released in 1995/6. First graphical MMORPG was released in 1992 and its on the list.

REALITY CHECK

Meridian 59 was the first 3D MMO. Not  or UO or EQ. Again, you have no idea what your talking about. You're just regurgitating what you've read on IGN, and then trying to come here to prove WoW players don't know jack.

Meridian 59 was the first 3D MMO. Not  or UO or EQ. Again, you have no idea what your talking about. You're just regurgitating what you've read on IGN, and then trying to come here to prove WoW players don't know jack.

Read again properly what I wrote. It says graphical MMORPG not first 3d MMORPG. You see the difference between graphical MMORPG and 3D MMORPG? You should or you will continue to look like an idiot.

Thanks btw for coming here and providing a perfect example of an average wow-subscriber. First you come here like a master calling me a nublet that i dont know "merdian" even tho its Meridian 59 being as first mmorpg that it obviously isnt, because first graphical MMORPG was released in 1992 and it was called neverwinter nights and worked on AOL. And now you tried to turn it around that im just regurgitating what i read on IGN and that you dont know jack. Yes you obviously don't know jack if you think Meridian 59 was the first graphical MMORPG.

REALITY CHECK

• LiquidGrooveLiquidGroove Member Posts: 23

I find this completely silly. Why wouldn’t one just ask this question (or poll…or whatever creative cover you have for griefing people) and leave out the WoW aspect of it?  You know, maybe title it something like “Poll for MMO-subscribers”. But no…you have to intentionally pick on WoW players. Well, I don’t need a poll to see an ass goblin for what it is.

I will give you props in that you’ve found another devious way to let us all know of your feelings to the WoW community.

Originally posted by LiquidGroove

I find this completely silly. Why wouldn’t one just ask this question (or poll…or whatever creative cover you have for griefing people) and leave out the WoW aspect of it?  You know, maybe title it something like “Poll for MMO-subscribers”. But no…you have to intentionally pick on WoW players. Well, I don’t need a poll to see an ass goblin for what it is.
    I will give you props in that you’ve found another devious way to let us all know of your feelings to the WoW community.

Don't take everything mentioning wow as an insult to you. This thread has nothing to do with wow-gameplay or wow qualities nor wow community.

REALITY CHECK

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

Define "second-generation" as it relates to MMORPGs.  Without a clear definition, your "poll" is garbage (hell, even with one, it's still pretty much garbage).

Err....You said you wanted to know about the basic knowledge of the WoW player...so...uhh...your post answer to me is null and void. Read your first ass goblin post, eh?

You said:

I'm really curious about the general knowledge of a WoW subscriber. So im starting this poll to find out what do WoW subscribers actually think about what was the first graphical MMORPG and what is considered first 2nd generation MMORPG

So...umm....that's like....directly targeted to WoW players.

*sighs* You said you wanted to know about the basic knowledge of the WoW player...so...uhh...your post answer to me is null and void. Read your first ass goblin post, eh?

Not to bash wow community in any way. Can you quote me where I insulted WoW in my posts here? I carefully tried to formulate my posts so no wow-fanboy gets hurt. You still did just by making this poll only for wow-subscribers. Interesting...

REALITY CHECK

heh..are you really so daft, man? Let's just let your post answer all your comments to me shall we?

Post Title: Poll for WoW-subscribers

Post Content: I'm really curious about the general knowledge of a WoW subscriber. So im starting this poll to find out what do WoW subscribers actually think about what was the first graphical MMORPG and what is considered first 2nd generation MMORPG (considered by ign.com and gamespot.com). When it hits (and if it hits) 100 votes ill write here the results and also the correct answer :>

Lets see....I count 3 times YOU say WoW and yet...err...you weren't targeting WoW fan boys? *grins* This is getting almost fun now. I even hi-lighted them for you in case you need some help there pard'nah.

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Read again properly what I wrote. It says graphical MMORPG not first 3d MMORPG. You see the difference between graphical MMORPG and 3D MMORPG? You should or you will continue to look like an idiot.

Thanks btw for coming here and providing a perfect example of an average wow-subscriber. First you come here like a master calling me a nublet that i dont know "merdian" even tho its Meridian 59 being as first mmorpg that it obviously isnt, because first graphical MMORPG was released in 1992 and it was called neverwinter nights and worked on AOL. And now you tried to turn it around that im just regurgitating what i read on IGN and that you dont know jack. Yes you obviously don't know jack if you think Meridian 59 was the first graphical MMORPG.

Seems to me, you've just done what people have accused you of doing when you started this thread -- lumping all WoW subscribers into one group and then using the so-called "ignorance" of one as a reason to insult them all.

Is regurgitating  what you've read on Wikipedia any better than regurgitating what you've read on IGN?

It doesn't really take a lot of smarts to trick people with semantics, but I am surprised at the number of people who didn't bother to skim the wikipedia article on the History of MMORPGs before answering.

heh..are you really so daft, man? Let's just let your post answer all your comments to me shall we?
    Post Title: Poll for WoW-subscribers
    Post Content: I'm really curious about the general knowledge of a WoW subscriber. So im starting this poll to find out what do WoW subscribers actually think about what was the first graphical MMORPG and what is considered first 2nd generation MMORPG (considered by ign.com and gamespot.com). When it hits (and if it hits) 100 votes ill write here the results and also the correct answer :>
    Lets see....I count 3 times YOU say WoW and yet...err...you weren't targeting WoW fan boys? *grins* This is getting almost fun now. I even hi-lighted them for you in case you need some help there pard'nah.

Thank you! Of course its targetted on WoW subscribers its in the topic hah. But it's not targetted to bash wow players or insult them in any way. It's just a poll for wow-subscribers nothing rude on that or is it?

REALITY CHECK

Rude? That's relative, I suppose. I'm still trying to figure out why WoW is even part of it. What about say....EQ2 players? Or hey! How about MMO players? But, you picked WoW to ask on so of course I consider this whole...umm...poll...a bit of trollish activity. But enjoy your moment.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Why is this in the WoW forums?  Can someone move to the general forums?

Originally posted by Hexxeity

Seems to me, you've just done what people have accused you of doing when you started this thread -- lumping all WoW subscribers into one group and then using the so-called "ignorance" of one as a reason to insult them all.
     Is regurgitating  what you've read on Wikipedia any better than regurgitating what you've read on IGN?
    It doesn't really take a lot of smarts to trick people with semantics, but I am surprised at the number of people who didn't bother to skim the wikipedia article on the History of MMORPGs before answering.

Sorry couldn't resist when he told me "GG nooblet" because he thought Meridian was first MMORPG.

REALITY CHECK

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007
    Originally posted by Hexxeity

You are?  I'd be surprised if anyone cared enough about this "poll" to do even the tiniest amount of research.  I can't even be bothered to read all the options.

People who drive cars don't need to know the history of the automobile, and that's definitely more important than the history of MMOs. It's nothing but a trivia question, and too poorly-worded to bother with.  The real test of intelligence is to see who answers it. If you check any of the answers, you lose.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Sorry couldn't resist when he told me "GG nooblet" because he thought Meridian was first MMORPG.

Erm.....didn't he actually say correctly that it was the first 3D MMO, not just 'the first MMO'!!

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

You aren't fooling anyone. You read an article on IGN, and now you think you've been part of the MMO revolution since 1991. No, you haven't. I'm smart enough to know you didn't have AOL in Europe fronm 1991-1997(actually it wasn't even AOL in 1991). You read an article. You're still clueless.

If you were smart you'd know I was saying that UO and EQ were not the first 3D MMOs, therefore they are not the first 2nd gen games. That is why you should have Meridian 59 on the poll. You are trying to show that WoW players can't possibly be viable MMO players, because we don't know what game was before what.

Listen, a lot of WoW players actually have played MMOs before WoW came out. I know that's a hard concept for you to grasp, but you should come to terms with that.

Just run along.

This discussion has been closed.