Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to play but

ID10TID10T Member Posts: 110

I want to play this game. I did the 14 day trial, it was kinda fun, i did find the point to point flying very long as i was running missions. didn't get to pair up with any one :(  at what lvl do you get to be part of team and fight at the fleet LvL. are joining guilds a big part of the game??? when you start off should you go with a mining ship or a fighting ship. any tips i should know when i start my new account. like what faction, what ship is the best to start off with???

What i wonder now that i have a kicking RIG. quad core. 4 GB ram 7950, tons of cooling,,, is can i play EVE and WOW at the same time hehehehe both are older games and don't require great hardware to run. it's not that I sit ont he computer and play all day, i have a high level job that doesn't let me do that... but when i play one game is rarly enough for me, i need far more to do than the average guy. i have 2 screens one for gaming and the other hmmm gaming, i have been playing Total war 2 and wow at the same time. and sometimes Guildwars and wow.  

Comments

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Joining a corp is essentially mandatory. As for when you get to play with the "big boys" anywhere from never to several months from now. It depends on how long it takes to get the stupid amounts of isk to be able to afford combat with the other space billionaires. Regardless, enjoy being a frig jocky who suicides for someone with deep wallets for a while.  Basically, everything in this game boils down to isk, how much you have, and how much firepower you can buy and support with it. Those who have the best means of getting it usually guard the hell out of it.

In before "it's not for you."

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

EVE is a game where the most fun is had if you're in a good corp.  It should take maybe a month of getting the proper skills and then you can get into the basics of PvP with a corp.  You'll start as a tackler for them while learning skills to do more.  If you enjoy playing 2 games at once, you may prefer even having two accounts in EVE - One for mining, the other for combat.  Then, you can watch your own back while you mine.

The most fun is in 0.0 where alliance wars happen frequently.  Get in the right one, and you'll have non-stop targets to fight for a long time.  It doesn't matter what race you start with either, since you can train the other races' ships and can fly any ship in the game with the proper skills.  It comes down to what portrait you want to see for however long you're playing the game.

There is a good basic creation guide here if you're interested.

http://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?title=Recommended_Base_Stat_Builds

It tells you the best possible combinations for each race, but they are just guidelines to base your stats off and not requirements.

Instead of jumping up to the next ship as soon as you can, its best to sit back and become the best at the lower ships that you can be.  Then, once you've mastered flying those, upgrade to the next up.  The age old saying in EVE is "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose", because flying a cruiser is great.. but if you can't afford to lose it if it gets blown up then you're going to be put back into a frigate anyways.  You can be very effective in the lower class ships if you know what you're doing, and if you spend enough time in them in order to understand them then you can be a force to be reckoned with.  The skills you gain while in those ships will be just as helpful when you upgrade ships as well - the weapon skills, etc.. even though eventually you will have better skills to go with these new big ships.

You might also like to know, with your nice computer, that EVE is upgrading its graphics engine in the Revelations 3 patch.  They will be squeezing every little bit of ability out of Direct X 9 that they can.

On another point, later in the game, EVE is a game where you really have to be paying attention so playing 2 games at once might not be beneficial.  If you turn away for a couple seconds, next thing you know you're getting attacked and you're already half dead because you may have left it on auto-pilot.  Same goes for fleet warfare.  You will need to be paying attention and managing your ship's modules very closely.

The game is very rewarding for those who stick it out, as its virtual world is second to none IMO.  It just takes some patience and understanding of how the game truly works.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Originally posted by ID10T

I want to play this game. I did the 14 day trial, it was kinda fun, i did find the point to point flying very long as i was running missions well thats done to give missions scale . didn't get to pair up with any one :(  at what lvl do you get to be part of team and fight at the fleet LvL. are joining guilds a big part of the game???  From day one join a corp as soon as possable and fleet combat as soon as yo can fly a frigate with a warp jammer or ECM modue for example to support someone. when you start off should you go with a mining ship or a fighting ship. Either is a good choice thing is most mining ships can fight too any tips i should know when i start my new account. like what faction, what ship is the best to start off with??? any race is good its the atributes that are important race chice is mainly a appearence and roleplay issue. Ship wise well it depends on what you want to do i sence tho you want to fight so get to begine with a frigate of some sort.
    What i wonder now that i have a kicking RIG. quad core. 4 GB ram 7950, tons of cooling,,, is can i play EVE and WOW at the same time hehehehe both are older games and don't require great hardware to run. Maybee but EvE is getting a new graphics engine soon [a 2 gig download i hear] so soon eve will need a bit more power to work tho not by much as the old engine is DirectX7 based [uses the CPU not the graphics card].it's not that I sit on the computer and play all day, i have a high level job that doesn't let me do that... but when i play one game is rarly enough for me, i need far more to do than the average guy. i have 2 screens one for gaming and the other hmmm gaming, i have been playing Total war 2 and wow at the same time. and sometimes Guildwars and wow.  May i recommend Supreme Commander 

With EvE there are several pointers you need to take into account that set it apart from games like WoW.

Almost verticle learning curve in the begining.

No space is safe even 1.0 systems are not 100% safe as you do get what are called suicide gankers.

Dont fly in low sec till you are ready for it and can afford to lose your ship [ only vaigly possable if you take precautions like checking the map for ship kills insure your ship dont carry everything etc].

Make sure to begine with you train ONE races Ships that way you maximise your training for PvP in one races ships.

Get your basic learning skills to 3/4 [ if you get it to 4 you can train advancced learning skills]

Cant think of anything else right now i wish you luck.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

You can make the same profit shooting or mining, it just depend of the systems and regions where you do this.

Yes, it's highly recommendable to join into a good corporation to gain access to 0.0 regions.

If you have friends that can protect your ship while you scratch the rocks in 0.0, mining is the best and easy way to earn money. Despite of it's the most boring task in EVE.

Then you can get skills in industry to refine the ore with less losses in the Refinery. And after a long time of playing, you should learn how to make things and how to sell them.

If you choose the warrior path, you will spend a lot of money in your ship (and in new ships). But at least you can defend yourself (barely, at the beginning)

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

The key to the bigger stuff and working with people is all about Corps. While you may work with people out side of your corp/alliance most times I've seen this they are either from an friendly alliance or an old friend. Rarely do you see people just randomly teaming up.  A lot of this comes from the potential to lose very expensive setups due to somebody else's screw ups.

As for Dual screening WoW and EVE not sure because WoW tends not to like windowed mode and will minimize if your cursor selects something off screen. There are programs like EVElauncher and EVEmon that can take a windowed instance of EVE and "force" it full screened that would allow you to run dual EVE accounts but I do not know if there is anything similiar for WoW