Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dear Gandalf...

Kill Ten Rats

Dear Gandalf…

Published by
Oz
at 20 Sep 2007 in Lord of the Rings Online

I’ve thought long and hard about how to write this letter and I just can’t think of a nicer way to put it: I’m leaving you. Wait, before you get upset and say that I didn’t give you enough of a chance, I need you to hear me out. This past month and change has been a lot of fun; for both of us, I think. Your new player introduction is nicely framed as an entry to the game in a way I didn’t even realize I was in a tutorial instance for a while, which is not something I can say happens often. You know you’re not the first, but you were the best in that aspect. It was just you and I, but that’s what was almost magical, in a non-wizardly way of course due to lore, about it. And when you gave me my first title after just a little while together…I really felt touched.

Once I entered your world proper, my young newbie eyes were dazzled by your graphics, which were back to a more “real” than the cartoony world of Azeroth I’d recently made my home in, and I enjoyed it. Your spellcasting animations were clever, and the tradeskill animations made me laugh out loud. Oh, the tradeskills. When I first found them, I’ll admit that all you laid out for me floored me. A virtual craftgasm. Stuff I could craft, at my level, that was actually useful! As I leveled them up…it began to hurt, and at the end, well, I was reduced to begging in the trade channel and to passersby for skill ups - I’m ashamed, but I was that desperate. The sad thing I was not alone. But even as we shouted out to the passersby “Forester looking for a skill up, boiling hides here!” or “Tailored goods, your hides, my skill!” we…I…was still faithful. I knew it was just a phase, just an aspect of you. I knew that on other facets you still were there when I needed you, making me happy.

But as time wore on, it seemed you grew tired of my company, of our one on one time; our special time. No longer were you content with our long walks in the Old Forest, or even along the beaches of Evendim. No, you wanted for me to get into this “group” thing. I’ll admit, sometimes it was fun. We’d storm through the catacombs or over the land, the names of those with us varying, and have a good time. There were those times where one of our groupmates would mysteriously go LD after winning a nice item or finishing his quest, but I stood by you and kept going, knowing that after this instance we’d be out alone again, just you me and one of a hundred varieties of orcs, birds, or goblins, killing another hundred or two or three, another deed, just me and you. I’m not sure how you told them all apart as they all looked similar to me, but I never minded; I never complained. We’d start a nice quest line, you showing me a tasty sample of what lie at the end only to make the final step involve an elite signature flaming eye circle mob with 4x my hit points and hitting for tons of damage despite being grey, and thus force me to beg for another two or three to join us. Sure I felt a little used, but I was willing, eager even, as you led me on. As our time here neared the end, I really began to tire of it, but I kept on, hoping it would change. It never did.

But what finally has pushed me away has be how we interacted with each other. Every tree limb or spider web, every mound of dirt, sometimes even what seemed to be a blade of grass would come between us and suddenly you’d cry out “not in line of sight”. I could see clearly, and the monsters could see me as they’d hit on me, but yet you said they were not in view. How could you be so blind? This was one thing that drove me away, but there were other issues. Perhaps it was the frequent stutter step video feed you’d give me, or how I’d be walking around and suddenly be stuck in place, yet able to chat, and seeing others in similar straits. Perhaps it was how my pet seemed unable to follow me unless I ran in a straight line across level ground, yet you had gorgeous rolling hills, thus causing him to wander off, agroing dozens of monsters while coming to me. Perhaps it was your tech support whose effectiveness in fixing my issues could be compared to a paper umbrella in a hurricane and with a response speed rivaled only by tetonic movement. Perhaps it was all of these, I don’t know which it was that finally did it for me, but I…just can’t take the pain anymore. It’s not fair to me, and not fair to you. My friends agree, as paying someone to be cruel to you is just not a good idea, although there are places where you can do so apparently, but that’s not up for discussion. It’s time for me to move on.

I know normally that people say that it’s not you, and that it’s me, but you have to know, that it is you. It is. It’s not me this time. So I’m taking my crafting tools and leaving. I’ll leave you that hat collection you gave me - I know I said I liked them at the time, but I hated them. All the hats look…weird. Don’t be sad, we had good times together. I mean, we’ll always have Ered Luin, right? Perhaps sometime in the future, when you’ve had a chance to grow and mature as an MMORPG we can try this again. I won’t say never. Anything is possible, after all.

Truly touching...I think I cried a little.....AGHH

Enjoy

Comments

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

I don't even think it is Gandalf's fault - he must be under some bad influence from Mordor I think.....

So I know exactly how you feel. I am pausing atm myself, the only thing that can bring me back is fishing and housing, then I actually wouldn't give a damn about the rest of the game dynamics. The only other problem though is the attitude by Turbine and Codemasters, playing all so "oh this is great and oh don't you all like it" but as soon as one (constructively) criticizes something you get ignored and fanboys attack you on the forums.

*shrugs* oh well.

imageimage

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I normally enjoy that guy's blog, but honestly I think he just got bored with LoTRO.  Not wanting to seem fickle, he proceeds to whine about complete non issues, with a few real issues thrown in at the end for good measure.  If you break down the blog he has three main complaints:

1. Crafting can't be advanced just by gathering as you adventure.  He mentions forestry and tailoring, so obviuosly he's an explorer.   I too am an explorer.  My first toon was a Historian, and it certainly was one hell of a bitch to level his crafting.  It almost soured me on the game.  If he was a Historian I might have some sympathy.  But explorer?!?  I've never been a crafter in any game that was as easy to level, useful,  and made phat heaps of cash as easilly as my explorer (only thing that came close was scribe in EQ II).   I'm on tier five with all three trade skills, and it's been dead easy. More on each skill, and why in particular I think his bitching has no merit...

Forester: I've mastered the first 4 teirs of forester without doing anything besides just processing what I bring in while out adventuring.  In fact, i didn' even process everything I brought in, I only processed hides to feed my tailoring.  All the wood I gathered I gave to a friend of mine in game to heelp him level his woodworking (or just verndored once he no longer needed it).

Prospector:  I'm about 3/4 of the way through mastery of artisan, and I'm high enough overall to mine anything in the game.  I have no use for the ingots, so I either sell them for giant stacks of cash or send them to my alts to help them with their tradeskills.  Due mainly to prospecting, I have had enough gold to buy pretty much anything I want since around level 20.  I won't pay 4 gold for a recipe or anything assinine like that, but I had waaay more than enough to get a horse at 35 and I generally keep myself in purple jewelry (I craft my own armor).

Tailor:  Unless he decided that he had to make critted items the moment they became available (which to be honest would bee a complete waste of time), I can't comprehend him having any trouble levelling this.  He's a forester and a prospector...he can make or gather everything he freaking needs.  The only thing he can't do is polish his own gems, and usually a jeweler is happy to polish your gems for you to get the crafting XP. 

Tailoring can occaisionally be annoying.  In each tier of tailor, you have lower level and higher level recipes.  For example in master you have recipes for level 42 and 47 characters.  The only struggle that I have had with tailoring is that when you get to the lower level recipes in a tier, you will not be finding a lot of the skins that you need to make that item.  For example, at 42 I have yet to see any exceptional hides drop.  So you will end up having to buy a stack of leather to make yourself the first set of armor in a given tier.  If that'a what he was bitching about I might have some sympathy.  Not that buying a stack of hides to get started should be any problem for a prospector, but at least he would have a valid complaint. 

But that's not what he's whining about!  For some insane reason he found that he was unable to level his tailoring without standing in town spamming the trade channel.  The hides that you need are dead common drops.   I never ever go out of my way to get them, I have mastered expert, and I'm 3/4 of the way through master artisan.  Apart from buying "starter stacks" when I hit a new tier (and buying recipes obviously) I've never done anything to advance my skill apart from make stuff from the hides that drop when I am out soloing quests. 

Long after you master a given tier, you'll still be tripping over the hides you need to advance it (i.e., your going to find more hides than you will ever need just by adventuring).  And by the time you get to the high end of a tier the hides you need will be dead common drops, so you'll never have to buy any apart from your "starter stack" when you first hit a new tier.  And even that's only if you must put on the latest crafted armor the very first moment you can.  If you are willing to wait a few levels to upgrade, you don't even need to do that.  But since I'm rich out of my skull from prospecting and have few expenses, I generally go ahead a spring for it.

2.  Not enough solo content.  Note the he only got to 35 (read the comments below the main post, later Oz admits he stalled out at 35) I'm in the low 40s and I have yet to run out of solo content.  In fact I've ditched a lot of quests.  I'd give him a pass on this if he were talking about the first month after launch, but he implies by the timing of the blog post that he's been playing post issue 10.  There is more solo content than any one character can handle at least until the low 40s.  The game doesn't nose ring your to new areas that have quests as well as some games (WoW for example), but if he had done any real exploring there's no way in hell he could have run out of solo content at 35.

3. Line of sight issues.  I've been playing the game since open beta, and I have no idea what he is talking about.  Blocked by grass?  That has never happened to me.   I'm sure he's not totally making that up, but I can't imagine where he must be adventuring for the issue to pop up so often.  I will say that it's a bit annoying that if a mob drops behind a rock or a tree while you are winding up an ability or casting, you lose line of sight and have to start over.  That would be a perfectly valid complaint.  But that's not what he's bitching about.  He's claiming that he is constantly having his LoS blocked by objects that the mobs can hit through.  This has almost never happened to me.  It certainly doesn't occur any more often than it does in any other MMO I've played recently. 

in addition (to be a bit fair...)

Valid complaints.

-The graphics engine is buggy, and can sometimes decide to have an aneurism at just the wrong moment.  True.  In fact 80% of my deaths solo are from my engine locking up or spazzing out.

-Pet pathing sucks dick.  Also true.  It's horrible, the worst I've ever seen in a game in the last ten years.

-Tech support sucks.  It does, it's the worst I've ever encountered in an MMO (and that's sure as hell saying something).  The last time I used in game tech support, the guy actually had to ask me what game I was playing....while chatting with me in game .....?!?

If he had based his rant on valid issues (and I've pointed out quite a few if you read this post carefully), I'd have no problem with it.   But claiming that he soured on the game over difficulties a five year old could overcome gets very little sympathy from me. It's as if he couldn't think of any real reasons to justify quiting, and made stuff up or blew minor anoyances waaay out of proportion.  

To be honest, I get the impression that after the newness of the game wore off, he got bored with it.  That's Ok, happens to lots of folks (although how some of these folks grow to hate the game so passionately that they hang out here is a mystery to me).  The game isn't for everyone.  I "get it" and others don't, no biggie.

I didn't post a response on his blog because, well, it's his blog and to take a big piss on it there would be rude. But your mirroring it here gave me a chance to vent

Cheers

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

I enjoyed it myself...and some of the points are valid...

Take into account...a lot of people that have quit seem to peter out at 35...the reason for his comment...I was one of those...due to engine issues, I could not force myself to continue. I have read MANY posts also on these forums and on other boards that a lot of people hit 35 and are done...some make it to 50...but not a lot..

I took the Scholar profession and hated every second of searching out and then camping the nodes...it was ridiculous...but, they have added a tracker after I quit..so I am sure it helps..wonder if it is more fun now?

I had Forester on an Alt, and got extremely bored of just standing around tanning hides, woodwork...and just did not feel satisfied with the rewards...and any of the one shots I had required a special item, that was on a rare spawn that you would camp for hours to get...

Basically a lot of the features that were timesinks, were time wasters, and felt tacked on is all.

If the game would have run better for me...I would have stuck it out to 50 at least, or if solo was more fun, I also would have held out, but too many group quests killed me, and the grind of killing the same thing with the same skills, just got old..

Now, with housing coming and still the discussion of fishing, maybe a revamp of crafting to make it more fun, or more instantaneous...maybe it could work...oh that and fix that engine big time...(which I will admit may not be their fault, and just drivers, as Nvidia has released some major fixes for their 8800's...so it might be gone...may have to see on the 7 day trial when Book 11 comes out)

Thanks and cheers (ps: great comments also...all valid points on your side as well)

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

I'm maintaining what i've been saying.  Fluffs (polish, "bug free") will give you RAD reviews at first, but that's about it.  Later on, people will end up having issue.

eqnext.wikia.com

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Personally I think there is a lot more to the game than polish.  And I wouldn't call polish "fluff" to begin with, I would call it "the bare minimum."  In my opinion, we as gamers gave MMO designers a pass on this for way too long. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• imrodusimrodus Member Posts: 37

dont you dare talk like that to Gandalf!

you can say w/e about Turbine or Codemasters or whoever that made this game

but dont criticize/make fun of Tolkien's works because of this game

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Nice post.......

I think the biggest issue is the redundancy. I believe this formulaic style of MMO peaked in popularity with WOW and now is on the downward slide towards oblivion. Until these lazy developers get out of this rut where they take the same cookie cutter patterns and redistribute them with new graphical coverings there will be no new interest in the genre.

SWG in its release form was so far ahead of its time that it couldnt be properly categorized and was thus discarded because it didnt fit in with its contemporaries. This was the most foolish mistake ever made by the industry in regards to maintaining a player base over a long period of time. The very nature of SWG was to be a virtual sandbox in which the spawns and geographical areas were dynamic and offered new experiences each time they were encountered making for infinite replayability.

Another thing that separated SWG from games like WOW and LOTRO was the ability to be unique as a character not being pigeonholed into any one class. Also the characters appearance was fully customizable with incredible detail not to mention the vast array of clothing and armor variety made it possible to look truly unique.

These things unfortunately have been scrapped in favor of  carbon copy mediocrity.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    Originally posted by starman999

Nice post.......

I think the biggest issue is the redundancy. I believe this formulaic style of MMO peaked in popularity with WOW and now is on the downward slide towards oblivion. Until these lazy developers get out of this rut where they take the same cookie cutter patterns and redistribute them with new graphical coverings there will be no new interest in the genre.
    SWG in its release form was so far ahead of its time that it couldnt be properly categorized and was thus discarded because it didnt fit in with its contemporaries. This was the most foolish mistake ever made by the industry in regards to maintaining a player base over a long period of time. The very nature of SWG was to be a virtual sandbox in which the spawns and geographical areas were dynamic and offered new experiences each time they were encountered making for infinite replayability.
    Another thing that separated SWG from games like WOW and LOTRO was the ability to be unique as a character not being pigeonholed into any one class. Also the characters appearance was fully customizable with incredible detail not to mention the vast array of clothing and armor variety made it possible to look truly unique.
    These things unfortunately have been scrapped in favor of  carbon copy mediocrity.

I don't want to turn this in a SWG flame fest, but i do not agree about your SWG part.  Not at all.  SWG had TONS of flaws at release... never had any content and devs were sleeping on their shift waiting for their paycheck.  At least now, they are doing stuff.  Like it or not.

eqnext.wikia.com

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Right.......

That is why the population and popularity of SWG is so much higher now than at release.... OH WAIT IT ISNT?  how is that possible? since they changed it into a WOW hybrid with so much content it should be booming right?

ITS NOT. The proof of the pudding is in the eating my friend and what once was delicious now tastes like shit.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

This entire post, and most of its replys, are proof that people here will complain about anything.

Turbine removes most of the most anoying features of a mmo, and makes a fun game (I know that subjective), and people still bitch.

Not to mention they add more content than any mmo ever has, more often, Every two months they add at least two new lands, and the game has only been about for about 6 months... Do the math. 

Seriously, im not a fanboi, but most people are really reaching for something to complain about...really.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

This entire post, and most of its replys, are proof that people here will complain about anything.
    Turbine removes most of the most anoying features of a mmo, and makes a fun game (I know that subjective), and people still bitch.
    Not to mention they add more content than any mmo ever has, more often, Every two months they add at least two new lands, and the game has only been about for about 6 months... Do the math. 

Seriously, im not a fanboi, but most people are really reaching for something to complain about...really.

I wish that was true. For myself, I currently am playing EQ2. I have an issue that it crashes on me playing for long periods...but, I muster on, and log back in...why?

That one sign is the difference. You can throw a mass load of content at someone, you can fix some things another MMO has already done...you can paint it all in pretty colors..

But, if it is not fun, or has those niggling little things that the other titles do not...then yes, people will complain..and leave.

Now, this is not to say that maybe in 6 months, it may not be better...but for now, I did not enjoy the game...and I am a stickler for maxing my characters...GW, WoW, etc...these games held me for a long period (at least a year if not more..)...but after 3 months, I could not force myself to login at level 35..

So, lets say according to your comment...I could either go to Restaurant A and get one 6 oz filet of the most tender beef you have ever eaten...and the flavor is so well done, that you want more...or you can go to Restaurant B, who will give you 4 Hamburgers of ground sirloin, that you will be so stuffed...oh, and they paint these Hamburgers in ketchup and mustard, with beautiful designs... and all of these deals are the same price mind you...

Which would you choose?

Cheers!

Originally posted by openedge1

I wish that was true. For myself, I currently am playing EQ2. I have an issue that it crashes on me playing for long periods...but, I muster on, and log back in...why?

That one sign is the difference. You can throw a mass load of content at someone, you can fix some things another MMO has already done...you can paint it all in pretty colors..

But, if it is not fun, or has those niggling little things that the other titles do not...then yes, people will complain..and leave.

Now, this is not to say that maybe in 6 months, it may not be better...but for now, I did not enjoy the game...and I am a stickler for maxing my characters...GW, WoW, etc...these games held me for a long period (at least a year if not more..)...but after 3 months, I could not force myself to login at level 35..

So, lets say according to your comment...I could either go to Restaurant A and get one 6 oz filet of the most tender beef you have ever eaten...and the flavor is so well done, that you want more...or you can go to Restaurant B, who will give you 4 Hamburgers of ground sirloin, that you will be so stuffed...oh, and they paint these Hamburgers in ketchup and mustard, with beautiful designs... and all of these deals are the same price mind you...

Which would you choose?

Cheers!

Enjoy your game. Really, eq2 is a good game. It just has some of the old trappings of MMO's that I don’t enjoy, that turbine got rid of.

This is my point, the stuff you listed is really, REALY minor issues (Most can easaly be avoided).... So that alone should tell you there is very little to complain about in this game.

Anyway, my post wasn’t a flame, just an observation. Its not the robot Jesus of games, but its a dam solid, and dam fine game, and leaves very little to complain about, unless your really just reaching...or it just isn’t your thing at all.

Then again, some people like slamming there head into a wall...so, yah know...To each his own, lol.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• DaringDaring Member UncommonPosts: 138

I disagree with the OP and agree with Yeebo. I think you are being petty and will never truly be happy with any mmo. Did you play EQ2 before? and then leave it for what? and are playing it again? Hummmmm. Did you hate EQ2 at a time too? The complains you wrote are minor. WoW had so many more things wrong with it when it first came out and it is a great game. I think you are looking for the perfect game and let me tell you, you will not find it. Learn to be content!

Which would you choose?

Cheers!

Enjoy your game. Really, eq2 is a good game. It just has some of the old trappings of MMO's that I don’t enjoy, that turbine got rid of.

This is my point, the stuff you listed is really, REALY minor issues (Most can easaly be avoided).... So that alone should tell you there is very little to complain about in this game.

Anyway, my post wasn’t a flame, just an observation. Its not the robot Jesus of games, but its a dam solid, and dam fine game, and leaves very little to complain about, unless your really just reaching...or it just isn’t your thing at all.

Then again, some people like slamming there head into a wall...so, yah know...To each his own, lol.

No problem...I understand where your coming from, and thanks...there is no need to flame...right?

But, you say "Can be avoided or is minor"...well, this is my list...so see if you can help me out...

1. UI is resolution independent. This means if I run at 1920 x 1200, I cannot see icons, text as they are too small for my 27" LCD. Using the new resize feature they introduced makes the icons blurry and ugly, and the fonts for the journal for example are still too small.  Not minor when your squinting to read everything...and the Doc says I don't need glasses.

2. Shoddy Performance - I worked with one of the main Dev's on the game regarding a performance issue with several different PC's (varying video cards and memory and cpu's ...even hard drives.) in Closed Beta, and even through open. Example of this "issue" noted here.(). This does not display in any other game on my PC...including EQ2, NWN2, Oblivion, Guild Wars, WoW, Tabula Rasa...and this was not the only one...but was the most disturbing.

3. Too many group based quests - If I wish to enjoy the "Lore" as everyone says is the focus of the game, I must follow a questline that ends with a "Fellowship" based quest, with no way to do the quest, barring coming back after I have gained 10 levels...and then you can still be killed real fast (Great Barrows is a good example of a "massive mob" death..)...and this would be all well and fine, if there were enough groups running these...but sitting in the LFG channel for a half hour was no fun, and no one uses the LFG tool very well.

4. Forcing me to sit and wait for crafting - Any special items need a lot of mats, and most mats have to be "refined"...i.e: boiled leather, etc...How can this be made more enjoyable?

This is a start...if you can help me with these, I would appreciate it...and I would love to play again, as the game sure is purty!

Originally posted by Daring

I disagree with the OP and agree with Yeebo. I think you are being petty and will never truly be happy with any mmo. Did you play EQ2 before? and then leave it for what? and are playing it again? Hummmmm. Did you hate EQ2 at a time too? The complains you wrote are minor. WoW had so many more things wrong with it when it first came out and it is a great game. I think you are looking for the perfect game and let me tell you, you will not find it. Learn to be content!

Please note...the original post is not by me (please follow the link)...and as well, I have quite a few more websites just like that one...all discussing the same issue....

LOTRO was no fun...period. It has issues, just like other MMO's, and some could be fixed...but overall, it just was problematic, and tired...

I did hate EQ2, when it first started...I tried it, and never went back...then after leaving LOTRO, I decided to try another MMO...so went for EQ2 (and this after playing GW again...for the third time in 3 years...I ALWAYS go back to GW...it is still a great game...oh, and free!!!!!!!!)...anyways, I then tried EQ2 and was very impressed....as my computer could finally handle it...hehe

It also is not perfect, but no matter what issues I have with EQ2, I go back...why? Because it IS FUN...there is the thing..

Also, I have enjoyed Tabula Rasa recently...and that looks to be quite fun...

So, I am not jaded...yet...I enjoy games...but, LOTRO is not one I enjoyed, and I believe it only sells due to it's license alone

Cheers!

• HapacheHapache Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by docminus

I don't even think it is Gandalf's fault - he must be under some bad influence from Mordor I think.....
    So I know exactly how you feel. I am pausing atm myself, the only thing that can bring me back is fishing and housing, then I actually wouldn't give a damn about the rest of the game dynamics. The only other problem though is the attitude by Turbine and Codemasters, playing all so "oh this is great and oh don't you all like it" but as soon as one (constructively) criticizes something you get ignored and fanboys attack you on the forums.
    *shrugs* oh well.

LMAO...

Originally posted by Hapache

Originally posted by docminus

*shrugs* oh well.

LMAO...

Hey wait...that sounds familiar....who was he talking about?

• WanklerWankler Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by starman999

Nice post.......

Yes I did like the post too.  And I wholeheartedly agree that the industry as a whole is on a downward slide.  I think you are also right on about SWG, although there is much more to the story with the SWG/SOE debacle, to sum it up, playing MMO's these days is alot like watching Television, hundreds of channels but not much worth watching.

Which would you choose?

Cheers!

No problem...I understand where your coming from, and thanks...there is no need to flame...right?

I didn't flame you.

But, you say "Can be avoided or is minor"...well, this is my list...so see if you can help me out...

1. UI is resolution independent. This means if I run at 1920 x 1200, I cannot see icons, text as they are too small for my 27" LCD. Using the new resize feature they introduced makes the icons blurry and ugly, and the fonts for the journal for example are still too small.  Not minor when your squinting to read everything...and the Doc says I don't need glasses.

2. Shoddy Performance - I worked with one of the main Dev's on the game regarding a performance issue with several different PC's (varying video cards and memory and cpu's ...even hard drives.) in Closed Beta, and even through open. Example of this "issue" noted here.(). This does not display in any other game on my PC...including EQ2, NWN2, Oblivion, Guild Wars, WoW, Tabula Rasa...and this was not the only one...but was the most disturbing.

Well, first, games are played on computers. Computers are diffrent, and each one of use maintains our computer. I do not have the issues you have. Sorry. I also havent seen performance as an issue with this, very light, engine. Also, you should check out the Patch notes. A lot of the UI issues are gone (i recall text size in there)

3. Too many group based quests - If I wish to enjoy the "Lore" as everyone says is the focus of the game, I must follow a questline that ends with a "Fellowship" based quest, with no way to do the quest, barring coming back after I have gained 10 levels...and then you can still be killed real fast (Great Barrows is a good example of a "massive mob" death..)...and this would be all well and fine, if there were enough groups running these...but sitting in the LFG channel for a half hour was no fun, and no one uses the LFG tool very well.

You can get to high levels solo, but compared to eq2... I have no idea where you are comming from. I have never had an issue getting a group, and one of my alts is currently going through the great barrows now...with a PUG and friends. This game dosnt have alot of group quests in it..its about 50/50 with alternit advancements... There isn't a more solo, group, or raid friendly game out IMO. The main story..yeah, you'll need some help..but its realy not that hard, and compared to other games, it dosn't even compare. Its a very casuial game.....

4. Forcing me to sit and wait for crafting - Any special items need a lot of mats, and most mats have to be "refined"...i.e: boiled leather, etc...How can this be made more enjoyable?

Again, its one of the more forgiving MMO crafting systems..really... Do much crafting in eq2 (The game you went back to)? Your reaching.

This is a start...if you can help me with these, I would appreciate it...and I would love to play again, as the game sure is purty!

There you go.

----------

How are you?" -Me

I didn't flame you.
    Never said you did..I actually thanked you for not flaming...sorry you misunderstood...
    Well, first, games are played on computers. Computers are diffrent, and each one of use maintains our computer. I do not have the issues you have. Sorry. I also havent seen performance as an issue with this, very light, engine. Also, you should check out the Patch notes. A lot of the UI issues are gone (i recall text size in there)
    This is one of the major issues. The game was made to run well on older systems, but they did not take into account newer systems and hardware. And if you go to youtube and do a search, you will see other videos from other people with the EXACT same issue...so it was not unique to my system. Also, there is even videos on youtube of someone who says he did not have the hitching, and the videos show...hitching...Also, do a Google search on LOTRO hitch...you will see a LOT out there. So...no it was not just myself...and the fact that a major dev could not help (Bunsen)...shows it is something that most people do not understand...when we pay $400 bucks for a video card...we want it to run better than that...and I was ready to return my card...until I played all my other games...just fine!
    Also...no, the patch notes do not mention font size...but if you can show me that specifically, I would appreciate that...it may make me think twice just on that one fix to try it again.
    You can get to high levels solo, but compared to eq2... I have no idea where you are comming from. I have never had an issue getting a group, and one of my alts is currently going through the great barrows now...with a PUG and friends. This game dosnt have alot of group quests in it..its about 50/50 with alternit advancements... There isn't a more solo, group, or raid friendly game out IMO. The main story..yeah, you'll need some help..but its realy not that hard, and compared to other games, it dosn't even compare. Its a very casuial game.....
    EQ2 can be a 100% solo game all the way to max...and quite quickly...but, try to grind alone in LOTRO and see how long it takes...also, yes, groups are available...after a LOT of searching...as to raid friendly...hard to say...and with only a couple of raid instances...and being forced to run the whole instance or lose...and having to run some multiple times for each person because only one reward is given at a time...boring, repetitive..but, then most raids are...luckily EQ2 now has the "Persistant raid instances" which saves your progress and you can come back on another day to finish it...no more 7 hour runs so you can have a "Casual" raider...no one is left out
    Again, its one of the more forgiving MMO crafting systems..really... Do much crafting in eq2 (The game you went back to)? Your reaching.
    Again, this is the first time I have ever played EQ2 (I just bought it)...but this is just not about EQ2...even WoW's crafting system is more fun...even though you stare at bar a lot of times. The interactive skills based crafting though in EQ2 is quite unique and fun. You can't leave and AFK craft...you need to control the quality of your items...i.e: YOU control if you get a good item or not...And finally, the fact you have a separate level for your Crafting as well as your standard level..I have one Alt who is  Level 19 crafting, but Level 15 in adventuring...so, I can make him a "Craftsman"...this seems more rewarding in many ways.
    So, yes, LOTRO is more forgiving...forgive me while I go smoke, or go pee or go watch TV while I craft...sorry...but I will expect more from my crafting in games from now on thanks to this type of gameplay (keep hearing about Ryzoms awesome crafting...may even go check that out)

There you go.

Really, it boils down to LOTRO being lackluster in all aspects of gameplay to me...this is not to say it could not get better for me...but for now, too many issues prevent me from thinking of playing...as do a lot of others as well...as well as me.

Sorry...and cheers!

(Edited for ME!)

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Really, it boils down to LOTRO being lackluster in all aspects of gameplay...this is not to say it could not get better...but for now, too many issues prevent me from thinking of playing...as do a lot of others as well.
    Sorry...and cheers!

Err... no.

Read the replies to your posts in other threads where other, maybe more sensible people than myself have already clearly explained, that _your_ observation and experience of LOTRO being "lacklustre in all aspects" is just a matter of taste, and as such, 100% subjective. Therefore, wording like this is irritating!

I am pretty sure you got the point, still you keep on posting inflammatory lines like the one I quoted above. Care to tell, why? It would only be a very slight change in the selection of your words, like:

"Really, for me it boils down to LOTRO being lackluster in all aspects of gameplay /(to my taste)".

Does it mean the same, is this what you meant? I'm sure you will say, yes. Do you agree, how much different does it STILL sound? (besides, being true and correct...)

Also -  you seem to feel like to have the very last word in every single thread on this board, especially where _anything_ negative can be said about this game. Why spend so much time on a board of a game which you hate so deeply? I am just wondering, so please don't misinterpret: i do not wish that you leave this board, god forbid :) but anytime you start trolling (however unintentional it would be...) - I'll be there, watching . And will let you know each time when you're being unfair and incorrect.

Hopefully no need to explain the terms "opinion", "fact", "subjective-objective" etc. once again!

- wish I were a fanboy - in fact I haven't played LOTRO for over a week now, and not sure i when I'll continue. Still I know it is an excellent game.... which does not mean that I personally like every aspect of it either. - You know, I would _never_ write down childish things like "everything in Lotro is perfect - or even great". Not even "I love every aspect".

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.