Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one feeling post Ep6 books arent Starwarsy anymore? (HEAVY SPOILER

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS ON POST-EPISOE 6 BOOKS AND COMICS!

I  am a SW fan as long as SW exists. I have read dozens of comics and likely about 40 or so books now. While I love the books from the pre-Episode 1 time and also the novelizations from the time of the movies, I must say ALL I have read from the time AFTER Episode VI feels like Star Wars entirely lost its spirit.

First there was this Yuuzhang Vong war. It was good SciFi, but it wasnt Starwarsy AT ALL! It was more like Borg and Star Trek or any generic SciFi. Then Legacy novels, which are also written well, we learn that almost ALL Yoda, Obi-Wan, Luke, Leia and Han had fought SO long and hard is DEAD. The Republic is gone, replaced by a fragile Alliance, the Jedi Order is a pale shadow of its former self, basically a Skywalker-Solo Family club, and from what I read its going to descend into new darkness.

For me, what made Star Wars was a real Jedi Order, stories and characters which are like myths and legends. The stories now are ok, but they feel SO un-Star Wars like! It is really painful to see how my childhood heroes SO much fought and suffered in vain. No Republic, no Jedi Order. To see the heritage of 25000 years be totally LOST after all those characters went through, it really disheartning. The sense of pointlessness of the actions of Luke, Leia and Han in the long term is so depressing that I, after being a Star Wars fan for all my life, consider to stop reading new Star Wars novels or comics at all and turn my back to the SW world.

I had hoped after all they did Luke, Leia and Han would achieve at least a certain triumph, leaving a Republic and a real Jedi Order, which might still face danger, maybe as in the KOTOR era or what. But this... it so makes me feel as if all the good in the movies 4-6, the triupmphes of my childhood heroes was for nothing.

Comment to Mods: I wanted to post this under SWG - General Discussion, but somehow I dont have a "new topic" button there.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• Interl0perInterl0per Member Posts: 27

Funny, I gave up on the novels in the mid nineties, reading only two that were given to me as gifts since that time.  I am a fan of the movies and the Thrawn Trilogy (that ironically got the whole Expanded Universe thing moving some fifteen years ago).  After the first book of Jedi Academy, I decided to completely ignore that whole bag.  The movies are great entertainment on their own and are the only canon I personally subscribe to.  Everything else is a fun(?) "What-if" story.  No need to turn your back on Star Wars, just avoid the bits that aren't to your liking :)

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

I've only read two books in the Star Wars saga.  Both were great and written by Alan Dean Foster.  Most people do not know this but Mr Foster actualy wrote the first "Star Wars" book although was not given credit for it - somehow Lucas was attributed for writing it which is false.

Splinter of the Minds Eye *was* what Empire Strikes Back was going to be.  It was written before the true success of the first movie thus a larger budget permited for a rewrite of the sequel. 

I enjoyed some of the comics from the late 70's and early 80's where subplots gave more then expected.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

All those post EP6 stories are the same like in the movie, there arent any "small scope" stories. All the time the Jedi Order gets wiped and the "Republic" crumbles. I mean, the Jedi order gets wiped out FOUR times in 100 years! I really liked those Jedi Padawan stories, or Mace Windu and the Army of the Clone or what, where its NOT the end of all things all galaxy tossed into darkness. I really wish they would make a more stable world setting to calm things down, but all three story arc, Yuuzzhang Vong War, Legeacy Books and the new Comics with Cade are the same as the movies, almost all Jedi dead and an evil Empire on the rise.

I mean, some of those books were well written, but I am really tired of this galaxy-wide catastrophies. Especially the damage of the Vong war was a WEE bit too big in scale IMO. I would have left Luke, Leia and Han and their kids "live happily ever after" and skip to some much later era with a more settled world.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

I stopped reading the books once the new star wars trilogy came out because I KNEW that the lore would be changed in favor of 2 year olds and mental midgets and it WAS!!!! I quit while I was ahead. Rogue Squadron an Thrawn trilogy books ftw-makes me depressed to realize that Ive already read them, its over, and books of that caliber from that time-area wont be written again ;(

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• fadtefadte Member Posts: 77

I agree in some fashion but certain things i don't. The Yuuzhang Vong war was the first attack from outside the galaxie the toughest thing that they had to fight yet. the were biomechanical life forms that were imune to the force, that makes them impossible to detect and impossible to detect the force, hence why they had so much damage done to courascant and other planets.

Second what you said about wanting a more stabelized galaxie, isnt supossed to happen? the empire just fell and the new republic is soooooo young they haven't been around for more then 50 years? no galaxie or even country is stabel at that time.  there are very good books out there from after episode 6 era inluding legacy and X-Wing. there are some bad books outthere like any of the episode 6 right-after-spin-offs they sucked but they weren't not starwars?

correct away!

i come in paece untill i shoot lol i do come in peace

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

I personally enjoy many of the books. The constant struggles, the gains and the losses. To me that is Star Wars. The galaxy is constantly changing, power shifting. Its the nature of the Star Wars universe that the Jedi or the Sith have "stabalized"  the galaxy in their own image. The fact that you want a happy ending for Luke, Leia and Han is fine but to expect it is ignorance. I know pre-trilogy novels arnt really cannon for most but they give an idea of what the galaxy is going through and thats always a shift in power. Luke, Leia, Han...made their mark in history like many others and what they accomplished, like the others, eventually is destroyed.

Just because you don't like the nature of the Star Wars galaxy, that doesn't mean its bad. Seems like you just don't understand. Jedi rise then fall, Sith rise in place then fall. Thats what keeps it interesting for me. If it were stable and happily ever after it would just be boring. The Vong, NJO, was one of my favorite series because it dealt with something completely new yet still went with the nature of the universe. Conflict. Without conflict there is no Star WARS.

Yeah your favorite characters fought hard for what they won but nothing is forever.